About the Garmin DriveTrack 71
Track your pack
Track your pack
See the status of all your dogs on the DriveTrack 71's large display.
Like any good navigator, Garmin's DriveTrack 71 will help you get where you want to go. But how many other in-vehicle GPS systems will also help you track your dogs? When synced with a Garmin GPS dog system — like the Alpha 100 — the DriveTrack will show you the location of each connected dog within the 9-mile tracking range. You can even see if they are sitting, running, treed, or on point. Then you can just use the directional cues to make your way to them.
See it all on the big screen
The nearly 7" touchscreen is pre-loaded with street maps for North America and TOPO maps that cover the U.S. and Southern Canada. You also get a 1-year subscription to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery for a real-life view of roads, building, and terrain. And thanks to built-in TripAdvisor, you can view ratings for hotels, restaurants, and other points of interest along your route.
Use your voice
Create a wakeup phrase for the DriveTrack, and you can use voice commands to input addresses and set destinations without ever touching the screen. A human-sounding voice will reply and provide helpful instructions using landmarks, buildings, and traffic signals.
Unlock more features with your phone
Sync your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone to the DriveTrack to make hands-free phone calls and receive smart notifications. Connecting via the Smartphone Link app also provides access to Garmin Live Services such as weather, traffic, and red light cameras. And as you approach your destination, you can view pricing and availability for nearby parking. The LiveTrack feature lets you share your location with other drivers — great for group road trips.
Easy updates via Wi-Fi®
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity means you no longer have to connect the device to your computer when it's time for a map or software update. When connected to Wi-Fi, the device will automatically check for available updates. And if you're planning to stay within range of the Wi-Fi signal, you can go ahead and start the download with a tap of the screen.
Add a wireless rear-view camera for safety
- portable GPS navigator and in-vehicle dog tracker
- 6.95" (1024 x 600 pixels) multi-touch glass display with pinch-to-zoom touchscreen control
- preloaded with street maps for North America and TOPO U.S. and Southern Canada maps
- receive free map updates as they become available using the Garmin Express software suite (available on Garmin's website)
- includes 1-year subscription to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery
- compatible with HuntView maps (sold separately)
- includes subscription-free traffic data through Smartphone Link app
- suction-cup windshield mount
- see information transmitted from your compatible Garmin handheld tracking device (sold separately):
- view your dogs on the map so you can navigate to them
- check their current status (sitting, running, on point, or treed)
- receive an audible alert if their status changes
- observe the distance they have traveled
- accepts spoken commands and voice address entry
- millions of points of interest (allows custom points of interest)
- points-of-interest extras include Foursquare® and TripAdvisor®
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns
- Real Directions™ gives instructions using landmarks, buildings, and traffic signals, with human-like voice announcements
- Active Lane Guidance
- junction view with signage
- speed limit and school zone indicators
- Up Ahead feature informs of nearby services
- driver alerts include:
- upcoming sharp curves
- red-light and speed cameras
- railroad and animal crossings
- wrong way on one-way streets
- fatigue warnings
- multi-destination routing and route optimization
- Wi-Fi for wireless map and software updates
- Bluetooth for hands-free calls with your compatible phone
- works with Garmin Smartphone Link app for iPhone® and Android™ phones:
- onscreen notifications of incoming calls, texts, and calendar reminders via connected smartphone
- Garmin Live Services provide local weather and traffic reports plus parking availability and images from traffic cameras (some services require a subscription)
- send destinations from your phone to the navigator
- locate your parked car
- allows Foursquare check-ins via connected smartphone
- LiveTrack allows others to track your vehicle's location
- Garmin Watch Link app connects compatible Garmin watches to navigator:
- provides continued compass guidance from your parked vehicle to your destination and back again
- vibrates your smartwatch when your navigator displays a driver alert, such as an upcoming school zone
- microSD card slot supports cards from 4-32 GB (sold separately)
- video input for optional backup cam
- compatible with Garmin Traffic receiver (sold separately) for a phone-free traffic solution
Other features and specs:
- car power adapter, mini-USB cable, and built-in rechargeable battery with up to 1 hour of life
- dimensions: 6-13/16"W x 3-15/16"H x 3/4"D
- weight: 8.57 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-01982-00
What's in the box:
- Portable GPS navigation and dog tracking device
- Universal Bracket Mount
- Suction cup windshield mount
- Car charger with 64" DC output cord (DC output: 4.75-5.25V 2A)
- 19" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety and Product Information
- BirdsEye Satellite Imagery Subscription activation card
Garmin DriveTrack 71 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin DriveTrack 71
Overview: The Garmin DriveTrack 71 is a rugged portable GPS navigation device that is designed for both on- and off-road navigation. It features preloaded street and topo maps for North America. It can also be used in tracking your dogs with a compatible Alpha 100 or Astro-series handheld tracking device. The device comes with a suction-cup windshield mount.
6.95" Touchscreen LCD: DriveTrack 71 features a large 6.95" touchscreen display with a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels. It has a real glass panel, and multi-touch technology to let you zoom in and out of the map with a pinch-type motion.
Preloaded Maps: DriveTrack 71 is preloaded with HERE's City Navigator street maps for North America for turn-by-turn directions. It also contains TOPO maps of the U.S. and southern Canada for those times you travel off the grid. Topography maps show the elevation and contours of the surrounding terrain, including public land boundaries, 4x4 roads, forest service roads, waterways, trails, and much more. Using the Garmin Explore app, you can download additional maps, including satellite imagery or USGS quad sheets, and store them on an optional microSD memory card (up to 64 GB). The unit's preloaded map versions (as of September 2019) include:
- City Navigator North America NT 2020.10 (ALL, Parkopedia, Foursquare)
- TOPO U.S. 100K v5
- USGS Quads (Grand Canyon National Park)
Map Updates: DriveTrack 71 offers free lifetime map updates so you'll always have the most up-to-date maps, POIs, and navigation information. Map updates are available for download up to 4 times a year with no subscription or update fees and no expiration dates. Map updates can be obtained by connecting the device to a Wi-Fi network and directly download the maps, or connect the device to your computer and obtain the updates through Garmin Express.
Garmin Traffic: DriveTrack 71 can help you avoid traffic delays along your route. When connected to your smartphone and the Garmin Smartphone Link app, you can view traffic alerts, as well as alternate routes around the trouble. Smartphone Link can also give you up-to-date weather forecasts to make planning your trip easier. Smartphone Link is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch running iOS 11.4 or later, and Android devices running Android 4.4 and up.
Voice Command: You can use your voice to activate and operate the DriveTrack 71. Voice Command allows you to use the device by speaking words and commands and following the voice prompts. After speaking a predetermined Wakeup Phrase, you can enter the names and/or address of popular, well-known locations. If necessary, you can disable voice prompts without muting the device, so you'll still hear the audible directions as you travel.
Garmin Real Directions: The DriveTrack 71 features Garmin Real Directions with easy-to-understand driving directions using recognizable landmarks, buildings, and traffic lights, in addition to spoken street names. With Garmin's photoReal Junction view, you can see a realistic view of an upcoming turn, including Active Lane Guidance to put you in the proper lane to make your maneuver.
Speed Limits: As you travel along a major road or street, the speed limit is displayed on the screen alongside of the vehicle's speed display. If you are exceeding the speed limit, a tone will sound, and the color of the vehicle speed indication will change to red. If the highway's posted speed limit has changed since the last map update, you can change the speed limit display on the unit.
Wi-Fi Compatible: You can keep the device updated with the latest maps and software without connecting it to a computer. When connected to a Wi-Fi network, the device checks for available updates, and displays an icon on the screen. The connected network is added to the list of saved networks, and will reconnect automatically when it is within range.
Garmin Express: You can connect the unit to your computer with the supplied USB cable for downloading map updates, custom POIs, voices, and vehicles. You will need to download the Garmin Express software to update your maps and register the unit. Garmin Express requires Windows 7 SP1 or newer or Mac OS X 10.11 or higher.
Points-of-Interest: DriveTrack 71 includes millions of Points of Interest to help you locate a wide variety of locations and services. The device includes searchable POIs and data from Foursquare and TripAdvisor. After selecting the POI, you can get more information, view possible routes to the destination, and navigate to the location with turn-by-turn voice and on-screen directions.
Garmin Explore App: Using the Garmin Explore app, you can pull together your waypoints, tracks, and routes loaded on the DriveTrack 71 device, your smartphone, or your desktop/laptop computer. With the app, you can plan and navigate your trip, share your location, and track your progress. The app lets you download maps, and use them anytime or anywhere, even if there's no cell phone service. With a Garmin account, you can store waypoints, routes, and recorded tracks in the cloud. The Garmin Explore app is compatible with Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices running iOS 11.0 or later, as well as Android devices running Android 5.0 and up.
Bluetooth: The DriveTrack 71 has built-in Bluetooth technology. This allows you to sync the unit with a Bluetooth-enabled device for hands-free calling through its integrated microphone and speaker. You can make and receive phone calls as long as the devices are within 10 feet of each other and paired.
Windshield Mount: The unit comes with the Garmin Universal Mounting Bracket and Suction Cup Mount. The mount has a 2" diameter suction cup for mounting the device on your windshield.
Power Requirements: The Garmin DriveTrack 71 is powered by your vehicle's battery using the included 12-volt vehicle power adapter. The built-in Lithium-Ion battery will provide up to 1 hour of use after a full charge.
Optional Backup Cameras: The DriveTrack 71 is compatible with the Garmin BC40 Wireless Backup Camera (sold separately). The camera helps you to see what's behind your vehicle when backing up. The camera can pair via Wi-Fi to the DriveTrack 71 and transmit a clear view from the rear of your vehicle. (The transmitter should be installed within 25 feet of the DriveTrack 71.) The BC40 is hardwired to your vehicle's reverse light circuit, which powers the camera on when you shift the vehicle into reverse. Wiring it to a constant power circuit lets you view the camera's video at any time.
Dog Tracking Features
Alpha/Astro Compatibility: The DriveTrack 71 can be paired with select Garmin GPS dog tracking systems so you can track your dogs from inside your vehicle and navigate to their location. Data from a compatible Alpha 100 or Astro handheld tracking device can be displayed on the DriveTrack 71's screen, as long as the device is within 10 feet.
Dog Status and Tracking: The Alpha 100 can keep track of up to 20 dogs for up to nine miles away, and broadcast each dog's location and status to the DriveTrack 71. Icons representing the dog's present status (sitting, running, on point, treed, or unknown) are overlaid on the topographic map. You can also observe the distance they have traveled and the path they have taken. When you want to navigate to your dog, simply press "Go!" and the device will direct you.
Tracking Display: You can set a label, including the dog's name, to appear next to your dog's location on the map. The size of the label and the dog icon can be adjusted as desired. As you track each dog, a history of the track is stored in memory for later viewing. When the dog's status changes, an audible alert will sound, if enabled.