About the Garmin Edge® 500
That's the name of the game. So using a performance-oriented cycling computer should be as essential to your ride as pumping up your tires and oiling your chain. Garmin designed the Edge 500 GPS-enabled cycling computer for one purpose — to improve your performance in the saddle.
The Edge 500 attaches easily with the supplied mount.
Take your training to the next level
The Edge 500's high-sensitivity GPS receiver records speed, distance, time, plus ascent and descent. A built-in barometric altimeter yields precise elevation measurements. You can compare successive rides over the same route with the Courses feature, and the screen also displays Auto Pause, Auto Lap and temperature readings.
The Edge 500 works with all ANT+-enabled power meters (not included) so you can track your power output in watts when you ride — one of the most effective training methods available. And when it's paired with a heart rate monitor (not included), the Edge 500 tracks your heart rate, letting you train in the proper heart-rate zone to optimize your workout.
Analyze your data
You can customize the Edge 500's screen to display only the info that's important to you when you ride, so you'll always have the metrics you need right in front of you. When you get home, plug your Edge 500 into your computer for the full story on your ride, including maps that track your performance with detailed pace and elevation charts, along with data from any power meter or heart-rate monitor in use. And you can join the online community at Garmin Connect™ to share your data with others.
- GPS cycling computer
- USB cable, AC adapter, and mounts included
- 1.2" x 1.4" monochrome display (128 x 160 pixels)
- water resistant (IPX7 standard)
- Garmin Connect compatible
- compatible with optional heart-rate monitor and speed/cadence sensor
- compatible with third-party ANT+ power meters
- Virtual Partner feature lets you race a digital partner
- records up to 180 hours of ride data
- AutoLap, AutoPause, AutoScroll functions
- customizable display fields
- built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery allows up to 18 hours use
- 1.9"W x 2.7"H x .9"D
- weight 2.0 oz
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-00829-00
What's in the box:
- GPS-enabled bike computer
- Switching Power Supply (AC adapter) with Type A female USB connector
- US power plug adapter (2-pronged)
- European power plug adapter (2-pronged)
- UK power plug adapter (3-pronged)
- 20" USB cable (USB Type A male connector on one end and a mini-USB Version 2.0 connector on the other end)
- 2 Bike mounts
- 2 Rubber disks
- 4 Large O-rings
- 4 Small O-rings
- Quick Reference Guide/Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Manual (English)
- Quick Start Manual (Spanish)
- Quick Start Manual (French)
- Quick Start Manual (Portuguese)
- Quick Start Manual (Italian)
- Quick Start Manual (German)
- Important Safety and Product Information
- Garmin Learning Center promo
- Power Adapter Assembling Instruction
- Notice regarding EPDM replacement bands
Garmin Edge® 500 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin Edge® 500
Overview: The Garmin Edge 500 is a compact, GPS-enabled bicycle computer that tracks time, distance, speed, location, elevation, and calories burned. You can add a heart rate monitor, speed/cadence sensor, or a power meter to fine tune your workout. The Edge 500 is waterproof (IPX7 rated), and comes with two handlebar mounts so you can mount it on multiple bikes.
Display: The Edge 500 has a backlit monochrome LCD (1.2"W x 1.4"H), with a display resolution of 128 x 160 pixels.
GPS: The Edge 500 has a high-sensitivity GPS receiver with HotFix satellite prediction to calculate your position faster. When you turn on the unit outdoors, it finds satellites quickly, so you can start your ride quicker. The time of day and the date are automatically set by the GPS receiver. If training indoors, you can turn off the GPS receiver to save battery power.
Controls: The unit features four edge keys, each with multiple functions. Each button corresponds with an on-screen function or menu selection, as well as default functions.
Waterproof: The Edge 500 is waterproof to IEC Standard 60529 IPX7. It can withstand immersion in 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes. The casing is totally sealed, including the four side-mounted controls and the USB port has a water-resistant cover to prevent corrosion.
ANT+: ANT+ is a wireless technology that allows certain accessories to communicate with the Edge 500. ANT+ sensors generally work within 10 feet of the unit. In addition, an increasing number of health clubs and fitness centers have ANT+ compatible equipment in their facilities, so you can use the same accessories separate from your device. Compatible Garmin ANT+ accessories include:
- Heart Rate Monitor: When the Edge 500 is paired with the optional Premium Heart Rate Monitor, the unit tracks your heart beats per minute and calculates your calorie consumption as you train. You can train in a certain heart rate zone to improve your fitness level or compare your pace and heart rate to past performances.
- Speed/Cadence Sensor: The GSC 10 Speed/Cadence Sensor measures your speed and pedaling strokes per minute. The Edge 500 has a Non-Zero Averaging option to let you include or exclude the zero values (when you're not pedaling) when calculating your power ratings.
Auto Pause: The built-in timer will pause automatically when it detects you're not moving. The timer will restart when you resume your ride.
Auto Lap: The Auto Lap feature lets you automatically mark the lap at a specific position. This helps you compare your performance over different parts of a ride (i.e. a long climb or training sprints). You can also use Auto Lap to mark laps at a specific distance.
Data Storage: The Edge 500's built-in memory (approximately 50 MB) stores at least 180 hours of ride data. The unit not only has an odometer to keep track of your mileage, but includes data on your last ride, longest ride, fastest ride, and all rides.
Note: The unit does not include a basemap, nor does it have the ability to add maps.
User Profile: The Edge 500 allows you to enter data about yourself to create a User Profile. This data (gender, birth year, weight, and height) is used to calculate accurate ride data.
Bike Profile: In addition to User Profiles, the Edge 500 allows you to customize three bike profiles. In order to accurately calculate the ride data, the bike weight, odometer value, and wheel size are used.
Garmin Connect: Free web-based Garmin Connect software lets you store your workout data for comprehensive analysis. Garmin Connect is used by cyclists worldwide, and presents your data in an easily understood manner, with maps, reports, and suggested activities. You can create fitness goals and send them to your device. As you complete activities toward your goals, they are tracked on both the device and on Garmin Connect. In addition, the Garmin Training Center software lets you track and analyze your fitness activities and create workouts to send to your device, without requiring Internet access after the initial download.
Compatibility: The Edge 500 can be used as a USB mass storage device. It can be used with most recent Windows and Mac operating systems. It is not compatible with Windows 95, 98, Me, or NT. It is also not compatible with MAC OS 10.3 and earlier.
Courses: The Edge 500 can save your ride data as you train. From that saved data, you can use Garmin Connect software to create courses that you can follow in the future. Each time you follow the course, the unit will compare your time to previous rides, or to other riders, and let you set performance goals. As you ride along the course, the display will indicate distance and time to upcoming maneuvers.
USB Port: A Mini-B USB port is provided on the back of the unit for charging and connecting to your computer. A water-resistant cap keeps moisture out. The Edge 500 is compatible with USB 2.0 Full Speed.
Power Requirements: The unit is powered by a built-in Lithium-Ion battery. It charges via the included USB cable when connected to your computer or the included AC adapter. A fully charged battery provides approximately 18 hours of battery life under normal use. Extremely cold temperatures and heavy GPS and backlight use will reduce battery life. The battery charge level is expressed as a percentage on the display.
Mounting: The Edge 500 can be mounted to your bicycle's handlebars or stem. Two sizes of O-rings are included for best fit. Two complete mounts are included to allow you to use the unit on multiple bikes.