About the Garmin epix™
Explore your world
Explore your world
No matter the weather or season, you live for the outdoors — and you want to enjoy as much of it as possible. Garmin's epix GPS/GLONASS mapping watch lets you roam on or off the trail confidently, thanks to its accurate guidance and rugged durability. Not only does this watch offer a wealth of expedition-friendly features and long battery life, it can also help you out when you're closer to home.
Maps you can rely on
The epix comes with a worldwide shaded relief basemap, giving you detailed coverage nearly anywhere. And you can add plenty of compatible maps — including U.S. TOPO 24K or 100K, BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, City Navigator, and BlueChart g2 — to the watch's available 8GB internal memory.
The watch's stainless steel EXO antenna works with the GPS and GLONASS receiver to communicate with the full spectrum of tracking satellites, so it'll find your location quickly and lock on to it tenaciously. Once you start roaming, you'll have plenty of navigation options, including track recording, track navigation, TracBack®, waypoint and coordinate navigation, Sight'n Go, and point-by-point routing.
Know where you are
No matter what hills or valleys you encounter, you can rely on the epix's auto-calibrating altimeter, barometer, and compass sensors to keep you fully informed of your precise location. The 3-axis electronic compass monitors your bearing whether or not you're moving, while the barometer can be helpful for determining short-term weather conditions due to air pressure fluctuations.
Tough and timely
The epix's mineral glass lens and PVD-coated surfaces keep it ticking through rough-and-tumble use. The watch's 50-meter waterproof rating lets you wear it around lakes and rivers without fear. The epix's timepiece calibrates automatically, to ensure you're never behind schedule. The built-in rechargeable battery gives you up to 24 hours of enjoyment in GPS training mode, and up to 16 weeks in watch mode.
More than just maps on your wrist
Garmin built a variety of fitness training feature sets into the epix, so you can use it to track your workouts between adventures. The watch is also compatible with Garmin's Connect IQ suite of apps, widgets, and custom faces, so you can personalize your epix to suit your needs.
No more worries about missing urgent texts, calls, alerts, and emails on the trail or anywhere else you use the epix. You can pair the epix with your compatible Android™ smartphone or iPhone® (4S or newer) and receive notifications directly on the watch's face. Leave your phone in your backpack and concentrate on the task at hand.
- GPS/GLONASS mapping watch with preloaded U.S. TOPO 100K maps
- USB charging/data cable and AC adapter included
- built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery allows up to 24 hours (GPS training mode); 50 hours (UltraTrac mode); 16 weeks (watch mode)
- 1.4" (205 x 148 pixel) LCD color touchscreen with MIP (memory in pixel) technology
- 8GB internal memory
- stainless steel EXO antenna with GPS/GLONASS reception
- customizable display fields, compatible with connect iQ app for custom watch faces, widgets, and data fields
- built-in altimeter, barometer, and compass
- time, date, alarm, timer, chronograph, pace alerts, chimes, and vibration watch functions
- Find my phone, music control, and VIRB control functions
- compatible with Garmin Connect
- automatic sync (automatically transfers data to your computer)
- Smart Notification of incoming smartphone texts, calls, emails, and alerts
- water rated to 50 meters
- worldwide shaded basemap
- preloaded with U.S. TOPO 100K maps; compatible with TOPO 24K, BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, City Navigator, BlueChart g2, and custom maps
- 1-year subscription to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery included with purchase
- Track Navigation
- AutoLap, AutoPause, interval trainer, heart rate (with optional HRM), calorie counter, and lap fitness functions
- works with optional HRM-run, foot pod, heart rate monitor, bike speed/cadence sensor
- virtual pacer
- recovery advisor
- race predictor
- running dynamics when used with optional HRM-Run monitor
- records personal records
- compatible with Garmin Vector pedals and optional bike speed/cadence sensors
- saves multiple bike profiles
- pool and open water swimming metrics and stroke recognition
Activity Tracking Features:
- step counter with auto goal setter
- move bar
- sleep monitoring
- speed, distance, vertical drop, and automatic run counter
- dimensions: 2"W x 2-1/16"H x 3/4"D
- weight: 3.0 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-01247-01
What's in the box:
- epix mapping/GPS watch (black) with loaded TOPO US 100K maps
- AC adapter with Type A USB port (DC output: 5V 1A)
- 4 AC plug adapters (US / Euro / Australia / UK)
- 42" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and watch cradle on other end)
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety and Product Information
- BirdsEye satellite imagery info
- Power Adapter Assembling Instruction
Garmin epix™ reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin epix™
Overview: The Garmin epix is a GPS/activity watch with full color mapping on a 1.4" high-resolution touchscreen. The device includes preloaded TOPO maps that can assist you along the trail. The built-in 8 GB memory lets you load optional satellite imagery, street maps, or marine charts. The Connect IQ platform used by epix gives you access to multiple apps and widgets to let you personalize your watch, and built-in Bluetooth for receiving notifications and connecting to others.
Touchscreen Display: The epix 1.4" full color touchscreen display has a resolution of 205 x 148 pixels. The basic menu and clock appear as a monochrome positive or negative display, however, you can download full color apps, widgets, and watch faces (through Connect IQ). Maps and activity trackers appear in full color.
GPS/GLONASS: With a new, high-senstivity EXO antenna, epix can receive stronger GPS signals and faster position fixes. epix uses HotFix, which accesses both GPS and GLONASS to give you much quicker positioning than GPS alone. GLONASS (Global Navigation Satellite System) is a Russian satellite-based navigation system that works alongside GPS (Global Positioning System) to provide position information. With the additional 24 GLONASS satellites to utilize, you can obtain a position fix up to 20% faster.
ABC: In addition to positioning information, epix has built-in Altimeter, Barometer, and Compass. As you navigate the trail, the altimeter provides elevation data to accurately monitor your ascent and descent. The barometer shows short-term changes in air pressure to help you predict the weather. The 3-axis electronic compass helps you keep your bearings.
Maps: The epix comes with preloaded TOPO U.S. 100K maps, with detail of national, state, and local parks and forests. The maps include terrain contours, elevation information, trails, rivers, lakes, and points of interest. Also included with the device is a 1-year BirdsEye Satellite Imagery subscription (via download) to get a true high-resolution representation of your surroundings. Optional City Navigator street maps and BlueChart g2 marine maps are also available via download from Garmin's website. The built-in 8 GB memory can be used for storing these optional maps.
Construction: The epix color mapping watch is designed to withstand harsh environments. It has a mineral glass lens and rugged PVD-coated surfaces. With a 5 ATM rating, epix can withstand water pressures equivalent to a depth of 50 meters. Suitable activities include surface swimming, shallow snorkeling, and similar activities.
epix Apps: Using the Connect IQ platform for third-party apps, you can customize your epix with dozens of available apps, widgets, data fields, and unique watch faces. All of these items are available for download from the connect IQ store on the Garmin website.
Bluetooth Smart: If you have a Bluetooth-compatible smartphone, it is most likely compatible with Bluetooth Smart, and can sync with epix through the Garmin Connect Mobile app. Select Android and Apple phones have been determined to be compatible to work with Bluetooth Smart devices. Garmin Connect Mobile is not compatible with Windows OS phones.
Garmin Connect: As you participate in indoor, outdoor, athletic, or fitness activities with epix, you can upload and share your activities through your smartphone with Garmin Connect. You can download training plans, track your progress, and get feedback and encouragement from others.
ANT+: The Garmin epix is compatible with optional ANT+ sensors, which help you track and analyze your training activities. You can use epix with the optional HRM-Run heart rate monitor, Bike Cadence Sensor, Foot Pod, tempe wireless temperature sensor, and Vector power sensor.
Activities: You can use epix to enhance your experience with various activities:
- Skiing/Snowboarding: epix can use GPS data to track where you go while cross-country skiing or downhill skiing or snowboarding. Your entire path is recorded as you navigate through the various ski trails or repetitively ski or snowboard down the slope. The auto run feature automatically records new ski runs based on your movement, and pauses when you stop moving or when you're on the chairlift.
- Hiking: As you hike you can use epix to track your path. If you stop for a break, you can pause the device, which saves the status of the hike and lowers the power consumption, until you're ready to resume. An Auto Climb feature automatically detects the change in elevation and transitions to a different data page.
- Running: When you go for a run, epix will track the path, distance, and time of the run. You can also keep track of your laps, if you are running on a track, or repeating your path. A built-in metronome feature plays tones at a steady rhythm to improve your performance by training at a faster, slower, or more consistent cadence.
- Biking: Use epix to track the route, distance, and time of your ride. The built-in metronome can help you maintain a steady cadence as you ride.
- Swimming: You can use epix to keep up with your swim by keeping track of the number of laps you complete, distance, or time of your swim. Before you begin, enter the pool size or a custom size to accurately calculate the distance you swim. The device will automatically record the number of strokes, swim intervals, and lengths. You can also pause the timer while you rest. epix will also track an open water swim as well.
- Multi-sport: If you are participating in a triathlon or other multi-sport activity, epix can help you transition between, and keep track of each individual sport results, as well as an overall time and distance.
- Indoor Activities: Even if your activity is indoors, you can still use epix while you run on an indoor track or ride a stationary bike. Because GPS is turned off during indoor activities, your speed, distance, and cadence are calculated by the built-in accelerometer.
TracBack: While participating in a running, hiking, biking, or walking activity that uses GPS, you can use the TracBack feature to help you navigate back to the starting point of your activity along the path you traveled.
Training: You can use the epix color mapping watch as your training assistant. After setting up a user profile (gender, birth year, height, weight, heart rate zone, etc.), epix can help you set fitness goals, and track your progress toward those goals. It can be a simple daily step goal to an extensive training calendar. Using Garmin Connect, you can create a workout schedule, along with training goals, and download them to epix. As you complete a workout, your results are automatically uploaded to Garmin Connect. As you complete your workouts, new personal records achieved during the workout are displayed.
Navigation: epix will help you to navigate to a destination or follow a course. If you're using map data that includes points of interest, you can select a POI and epix will provide directions to it. The Sight 'N Go feature lets you point the device at an object in the distance, lock in the direction, and then navigate to the object.
Sleep Tracking: During the Sleep Mode, epix monitors your rest. Sleep statistics include total hours of sleep, periods of movement, and periods of restful sleep. You must be wearing the device while you sleep in order to track your sleep.
Clock Features: Not only will epix provide the time of day, it also has a stopwatch and countdown timer. You can set the sunrise and sunset alerts to sound a specific number of minutes or hours before the actual sunrise or sunset occurs.
Power Requirements: The Garmin epix is powered by a built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. You can charge the battery on ordinary household current (using the supplied AC adapter), or via USB on your computer or a USB power port (using the supplied USB charging cable). The USB charging cable has a hinged cradle that attaches to the side of the device. Battery life varies depending on the enabled features:
|Up to 20 hours||GPS Mode with WAAS, EGNOS, or GLONASS enabled.|
|Up to 24 hours||Normal GPS mode|
|Up to 50 hours||UltraTrac GPS mode with a two-minute interval|
|Up to 3 weeks||Smart watch mode with activity tracking, smart notifications, and Connect IQ features enabled.|
|Up to 24 weeks||Low power watch mode with all sensors, connected features, and activity tracking disabled.|
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?