About the Garmin Forerunner 235
Heart rate training gives you the edge
Heart rate training gives you the edge
I've run both for fitness and in age group competition. Either way, I've found that that training in the correct heart rate zone yields the best results, whether I'm trying to lose weight, build endurance, or tack on that extra bit of speed. But despite the benefits, the hassle of strapping a heart rate monitor onto my chest whenever I head out the door can be a drag.
Garmin's Forerunner 235 GPS running watch makes it oh so much easier. First, there's no strap. Garmin utilizes Mio Heart Rate Technology that measures heart rate at the wrist. Second, the easy-to-read display lets you see where you're at with a glance — whether running on the pavement or negotiating a rocky back-country trail. And you can use Garmin Connect, Garmin's online training community, to adjust your zones as your fitness improves.
The Forerunner 235 captures all the important metrics from your run.
Smart. Very smart.
The FR 235 works hand in glove with your smartphone. Put the Garmin Connect Mobile App on your phone and your data will be automatically uploaded. You can even use Garmin's Face-it™ app to change the face's background to any picture on your smartphone. And the app's wireless connectivity lets you receive smart notifications (texts, email, and call alerts) and valuable info like weather updates while you're training. With Garmin's Live Track feature, friends and family can even track you while you're on the run — a great feature for races or long training runs. Use the Garmin Connect website to more thoroughly analyze your workout and track your training activity data, including map and elevation information — even share data and routes with your friends and training partners (or even your rivals).
Accuracy you can count on
Forerunner 235's advanced GPS receiver keeps close tabs on the distance you've traveled when you lace up your shoes and step out the door. You'll know at the end of your workout how far you've gone, how long it took, and what your average pace was. A built-in accelerometer records distance run on a treadmill or indoor track. The Auto Lap function records your lap times at whatever distance you choose — you don't even need to push a button.
- marsala GPS running watch
- built-in heart rate monitor
- 1.23" color display (215 x180 pixel) with customizable data screens and watch faces
- water rated to 5 ATM
- built-in battery allows up to 11 hours in GPS mode with heart rate monitor, 9 days with watch, activity tracker, notifications, and heart rate
- built-in accelerometer for indoor track and treadmill use
- compatible with Garmin Connect training plans through your computer or smartphone
- automatic workout uploads to smartphones with Garmin Connect Mobile app
- Garmin VIRB control
- customizable workouts and interval training modes
- Auto Lap, Auto Pause, Auto Scroll functions
- charging/data cradle included
- 1.77"W x 1.77"H x .46"D
- weight 1.5 oz
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-03717-70
What's in the box:
- GPS sports watch (marsala)
- 23" Data/charging cable (Type A USB)
- Quick Start Manual (English)
- Quick Start Manual (Spanish)
- Quick Start Manual (French)
- Important Safety and Product Information booklet
More details on the Garmin Forerunner 235
Overview: The Garmin Forerunner 235 is a lightweight running watch with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver which accurately records the distance, time, speed, and location of your runs. It keeps track of your personal records, and lets you know when you have set new ones. The Forerunner 235 provides constant feedback, including the distance traveled, elapsed time, pace, lap time, and speed. With Garmin's Elevate heart rate technology, you can continuously monitor your heart rate. After your run, you can upload your results to the Garmin Connect online community.
Elevate: On the back of the Forerunner 235 is an optical sensor with Garmin's Elevate heart rate technology that shines light onto your skin and measures the amount of light returned. The sensor detects slight changes on your skin as your heart pumps blood and determines your heart rate using a sophisticated algorithm. The back of the watch has a light seal to block out ambient light for accurate results. You can broadcast your heart rate data to other Garmin devices, such as an Edge cycling computer or a VIRB action camera.
Note: The Forerunner 235 is compatible with ANT+ devices, so you could use an optional heart rate monitor strap, if desired.
Heart Rate Zones: Heart Rate Zones are used by many athletes to indicate the level of activity, and to measure their cardiovascular strength. You can let the Forerunner 235 set your heart rate zones based on your user profile, or manually enter heart rate values and ranges for each zone. The heart rate zones are expressed as a percentage of your maximum heart rate, and are expressed in color codes on the device's display: Poor 0-40% (Red), Fair 40% (Orange), Good 60% (Green), Excellent 80% (Blue), and Superior 95% (Purple).
Water Resistant: The Forerunner 235 has a 5 ATM water rating, which means it can withstand pressures equivalent to a depth of 50 meters (164 feet). Not only can you run in the rain and wet weather, you can even swim while wearing the device. The device also has a wide operating temperature range of -4° to 140°F.
Color LCD: The Forerunner 235 features a 1.23" diameter color LCD screen with a resolution of 215 x 180 pixels. The display has a backlight timer that can be set to 8, 15, 30, or 60 seconds, or Stays On. The backlight can be turned on manually, or with the touch of a key or when you receive an alert.
High-Sensitivity GPS Receiver: The Forerunner 235 features a high-sensitivity GPS receiver with GLONASS, which locates your position quickly and keeps it locked onto positioning satellites, even near tall buildings or under tree cover.
Accelerometer: The built-in accelerometer can accurately calculate your speed and distance when running indoors or on a treadmill, when the GPS can't be used. The accelerometer is self-calibrating, and the speed and distance accuracy improves after a few outdoors runs using GPS.
Rechargeable Battery: The Forerunner 235 has a built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, which will give you about 11 hours of battery life in activity mode with GPS and wrist heart rate. When not training, you can use the device as a digital watch for up to 9 weeks on a single charge, or 8 weeks in watch mode with activity tracking. A 23" data/charging cradle is provided for charging the battery and uploading your training data.
Bluetooth Connected Features: The Garmin Forerunner 235 features Bluetooth wireless technology that allows you to pair the device to your smartphone or mobile device through the Garmin Connect Mobile app. When connected via Bluetooth, you can do the following:
- Live Track: Your friends and family can follow your races and training activities in real time on the Garmin Connect tracking page. You can also invite others to follow via email or social media. (You must have your phone paired to the device throughout your run for Live Tracking.)
- Automatic Uploads: When your workout is completed, you can automatically upload the stored data from your activity to Garmin Connect.
- Software Updates: While connected to your smartphone, the Forerunner 235 will download the latest software updates. On-screen instructions will guide you how to update the software the next time you turn the device on.
- Workout/Course Downloads: You can configure workouts and courses using Garmin Connect's Training Center website and wirelessly download them to your device.
- Social Media: You can share your results and post updates to your favorite social media site.
- Notifications: When you receive an email, text, or other alert on your phone, a notification will be displayed on the Forerunner's display.
Locating A Lost Phone: The Forerunner 235 can help you locate your phone if it is still paired and currently within range. As you search, the Find My Phone widget will display the Bluetooth signal strength and sound an audible alert to help you find your phone.
Widgets: The device is preloaded with widgets that give you information at a glance. Some of the widgets require a Bluetooth connection with a smartphone. The widgets include: Notifications, Calendar, Weather, Activity Tracking, Heart Rate, Controls, and VIRB controls.
History: The Forerunner 235 can save approximately 200 hours of activity data. Your history displays the date, time of day, distance, run time, calories, average pace or speed, and heart rate zone data. When the memory is full, your oldest data is overwritten. History is not recorded while the timer is stopped or paused.
Watch Functions: When you're not working out, the Forerunner 235 can be used as a basic watch, displaying the time and date, along with an alarm. The time is automatically set by the GPS receiver (or manually, if desired), and can be displayed in 12-hour or 24-hour format.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?