About the Garmin fenix 7 Sapphire Solar
Pushing the envelope
Pushing the envelope
When "good enough" isn't good enough, Garmin's fenix 7 Sapphire Solar multisport GPS smartwatch is the watch you need. Garmin has taken their new edition of the popular fenix lineup to the next level with some cool new features:
- fenix 7 Sapphire Solar includes preloaded multi-continent TopoActive maps for navigation
- fenix 7 Sapphire Solar adds the power of the sun to its powerful feature set with its Power Glass™ lens. You'll get more time between charges, perfect for when your plans don't include readily available power outlets.
- A new touchscreen display complements the trusted button controls.
- New fitness features include HIIT workout tracking, visual race predictor, health monitoring, and real-time stamina predictions.
- Navigation upgrades include multi-continent topo map support, "Up Ahead" POI checkpoints, Skiview™ maps of ski runs at over 2000 ski resorts.
Whether you're bombing a descent on your mountain bike, grabbing your pack for a multi-day expedition, or taking Rover for his daily run fenix 7 Sapphire Solar is up to the job. And it's just as much at home when you're out on the town, with a rugged titanium case and customizable watch faces that you can change to match your activities and mood.
fenix 7 Sapphire Solar extends your battery with the power of the sun
Get the edge on your training
fenix 7 Sapphire Solar is your essential training partner. It employs wrist-based heart rate monitoring, so you're always able to tap into this vital metric. The wrist Pulse Ox sensor tracks altitude acclimation and helps monitor your sleep. By combining these measurements with your workout distances and speed, This Garmin estimates your VO2 max — the measure of how well your body utilizes oxygen — and advises you on when it's smart to rest and when it's time to ramp up the intensity in your workouts.
Track your sport
fenix watches include profiles for dozens of sports. Whether your joy is running, cycling, yoga, XC skiing, golfing, climbing, or another sport, this Garmin will capture the metrics for your later review. GPS navigation makes exploring new terrain during your workouts easy, with turn-by-turn directions, round-trip routing, and more.
Garmin's smart notifications work with your smartphone to let you receive texts, emails, and alerts on the watch's screen. And this watch automatically uploads your workout to Garmin Connect, where you can share it with your friends through social media or many popular fitness-tracking apps. Assistance and incident detection harness the power of your phone to send your location to emergency contacts.
Born for the backcountry
The fenix 7 Sapphire Solar is your trusted companion when you're in the backcountry, whether it's a day hike or a multi-day expedition. The preloaded topo maps provide wrist-based navigation, and you can drop virtual breadcrumbs along the way, creating a tracklog you can retrace if necessary. Looking for that perfect campsite? You can take advantage of waypoints you've recorded on previous trips, so you'll be sure to find that special campsite the next time around.
The watch also comes equipped with an altimeter, barometer, and compass, giving you valuable information you may need in the backcountry. And battery life doesn't need to limit you — Expedition mode is an ultra low-powered GPS reference that extends battery life for weeks.
- multisport GPS smart watch with color touchscreen display
- 1.3" (260 x 260 pixels) color LCD screen
- Power Sapphire lens for solar charging
- solar charging for extended battery life
- multi-satellite network capability (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo)
- customizable display fields, compatible with Connect iQ app for custom watch faces, widgets, and data fields
- ANT+ and Bluetooth capable with compatible devices
- time, date, alarm, timer, chronograph, pace alerts, chimes, and vibration watch functions
- over 30 activity profiles to record different sports and workouts
- wrist-based heart rate monitor and Pulse Ox sensor
- VO2 max and Pulse Ox estimation
- SkiView maps for over 2000 ski areas
- HIIT workout tracking
- recovery advisor
- race predictor
- swimming stroke recognition, lap counter, open-water distance
- running dynamics measurements
- step counter with auto goal setter and move notifications
- preloaded Multi-Continent TopoActive maps with Wi-Fi
- round-trip routing
- turn-by-turn navigation
- memory for up to 1000 customizable waypoints and 30 routes, with 200 hour track log
- Smart Notifications (texts, emails, alerts) when paired with your smartphone
- internal music storage and control over smartphone music apps
- compatible with Garmin Pay
- incident detection and assistance send your location to emergency contacts
- automatic syncing with Garmin Connect training app
- sleep monitoring
- respiration tracking
- Body Battery™ energy monitoring
- built-in altimeter, barometer, and compass
- compatible with Garmin Vector pedals and other ANT+ -enabled power meters
- compatible with Garmin Varia lights and accessories
- Power Manager and Expedition Mode for extended battery life
- battery life:
- smartwatch: up to 22 days
- GPS: up to 73 hours
- Expedition: up to 74 days
- water rated to 100 meters
- silicone watchband (adjustable from 4.9" to 8.2")
- dimensions: 1.85"W x 1.85"H x .57"D
- weight: 2.8 oz
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-02540-20
What's in the box:
Garmin fenix 7 Sapphire Solar owner's manual
- 47mm GPS multi-sport watch with solar charging (Carbon Gray DLC titanium bezel with 22mm black silicone band)
- 21" USB data/charging cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on other end)
- Quick Start Manual
- Important Safety and Product Information
Garmin fenix 7 Sapphire Solar reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Garmin fenix 7 Sapphire Solar
Overview: The Garmin fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar (010-02540-20) is an advanced training watch with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver which accurately pinpoints and tracks your location while you're skiing, hiking, running, biking, swimming, or golfing. It features a Power Sapphire™ lens that charges in the sun to extend battery life. With built-in wrist-based heart rate technology, your heart rate can be measured at the wrist instead of requiring you to wear a separate chest strap. The results of your activities can be easily uploaded to the Garmin Connect online community for sharing. The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar has a 32 GB memory, double the capacity of the standard and solar fēnix 7 versions, to store the results of your past activities and fitness goals.
Physical Attributes: The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar features a rugged 47mm diameter titanium bezel with a diamond-like coating (DLC) and fiber-reinforced polymer outer case and titanium rear cover. The black silicone band fits wrists with a circumference of 4.92" to 8.19" (125-208mm). The QuickFit 22 silicone watch band can be replaced with a different color silicone band, or a nylon, stainless steel, titanium, or leather band (all available from Garmin).
- Watch: Width 1.951" (47mm), Height 2.162", Depth 0.632"
- Band: Width 0.861" (22mm), Length 10.313"
- Weight: 2.57 ounces
Power Sapphire™: The fēnix 7S Sapphire Solar is equipped with a Power Sapphire lens that charges your watch when it's in direct sunlight. Power Sapphire is even more durable and scratch-resistant than the Corning Gorilla Glass DX lenses found on the standard fēnix 7S. For best performance, you should avoid covering the face with your sleeve. If not wearing the watch, you can charge it by pointing the face toward the sunlight. The solar intensity will be displayed on the watch face or the Solar Intensity widget. In addition, a line graph will be visible displaying the solar intensity over the last 6 hours. The watch stops charging automatically when the internal temperature reaches a certain level to avoid overheating. It does not charge when the battery is full, or when it's connected to an external power source.
Note: Battery life specs can be found in the Rechargeable Battery section below.
LCD: The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar features a 1.3" diameter, sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP) color display with a resolution of 260 x 260 pixels. It has a backlight that comes on automatically when you press any button, and can be set to time out in a specific amount of time or stay on. When the Gesture feature is turned on, the backlight comes on when you raise or turn your arm to look at your wrist.
Water Resistant: The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar has a 10 ATM water rating, which means it can withstand pressures equivalent to a depth of 100 meters (328 feet). Not only can you wear the device in the rain and wet weather, you can even swim with it. It is not recommended for scuba diving. The device also has a wide operating temperature range of -4° to 113°F.
High-Sensitivity GPS Receiver: The unit features a high-sensitivity GPS receiver. With multi-satellite support (GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo), the device stays locked onto satellites, even near tall buildings or under tree cover. If you're in a wide open area, you can turn off the GLONASS or Galileo options to save battery life. The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar is also equipped with temperature, altimeter, barometer, and compass sensors.
Accelerometer: The built-in accelerometer can accurately calculate your speed and distance when running indoors or on a treadmill, when the GPS can't be used. The accelerometer is self-calibrating, and the speed and distance accuracy improves after a few outdoors runs using GPS. In many cases, a separate foot pod is not needed.
Garmin Pay: The Garmin fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar features the Garmin Pay contactless payment solution. Garmin Pay lets you pay for purchases quickly without your wallet or phone. It works almost anywhere you can make contactless payments. All you have to do is enter your passcode, select the credit card you want to use from your virtual wallet, and hold your wrist near the card reader. Your card number is not stored on your device, or passed to merchants when you pay, so it's private and secure. Garmin Pay works with many major credit and debit cards from major banks, including Visa and MasterCard.
Rechargeable Battery: The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar has a powerful built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The battery charges in direct sunlight or when plugged into a USB-based power adapter. A 21" data cable/charging cradle is provided for charging the battery and uploading your training data. The battery life depends upon the features you use:
|Smartwatch Mode||Up to 18 days |
Up to 22 days with solar*
|Battery Saver Watch Mode|| |
Up to 57 days
|GPS Only Mode|| |
Up to 57 hours
|All Satellite Systems Mode||Up to 40 hours |
Up to 48 hours with solar
|All Satellite Systems |
plus Multi-band Mode
Up to 23 hours
|All Satellite with Music Mode||Up to 10 hours|
|Max battery GPS Mode||Up to 136 hours |
Up to 289 hours with solar
|Expedition GPS Mode||Up to 40 days |
Up to 74 days with solar
* Battery life with solar is based on all-day wear with 3 hours per day outside in 50,000 lux conditions.
Wrist-based Heart Rate Technology: The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar is equipped with constant wrist-based heart rate technology, which monitors your heart rate without having to wear a chest strap. Whenever you wear the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar, your heart rate is being monitored, even while you sleep. The heart rate data helps to provide an accurate reading of calories burned, oxygen saturation (pulse ox), and to measure the intensity of your workout.
Note: The device is also compatible with chest-worn Heart Rate Monitors, including HRM-Pro, HRM-Dual, HRM-Run, and HRM-Swim.
Health Monitoring: The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar's wrist-based heart rate monitor can take physiological measurements to help you analyze your training activities and race performances. The more you use the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar, the more accurate the estimates become, as the device learns about your activities and performances. Performance measurements include:
- VO2 Max: VO2 Max is your body's maximum oxygen consumption, to help you track your fitness and performance levels. It is expressed in milliliters per minute per kilogram of body weight at your maximum performance.
- Predicted Race Times: The VO2 Max estimate and published data sources are used to provide a target race time, based on your current state of fitness.
- HRV Stress Test: The heart rate variability (HRV) stress test records how much your heart varies while standing still for 3 minutes. The score is expressed on a scale of 1 to 100, with the lower score indicating a lower stress level. This test requires a Garmin chest-worn heart rate monitor, such as the HRM-Pro.
- Performance Condition: Your Performance Condition is a real-time assessment after 6 to 20 minutes of activity.
- Functional Threshold Power (FTP): The device uses your user profile information from the initial setup to estimate your FTP. You can conduct a guided test to gain a more accurate rating.
- Lactate Threshold: Lactate Threshold is the point where your muscles start to rapidly fatigue, based on the amount of lactic acid in your bloodstream.
- Stamina: The watch uses your VO2 max. estimate and heart rate data to provide real-time stamina estimates.
ANT+ Sensors: The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar can be used with wireless 2.4 GHz ANT+ add-on sensors, such as the optional HRM-Pro or other chest-worn HRM. Other optional ANT+ sensors that work with the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar include the Running Dynamics Pod, Bike Speed or Cadence Sensor, Foot Pod, Varia bike devices, and tempe™ external temperature sensor.
Bluetooth Connected Features: The Garmin fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar features Bluetooth wireless technology that allows you to pair the device to your smartphone through the Garmin Connect Mobile app, available for Android (7.0 and up) and iOS (13.0 or later). When connected via Bluetooth, you can do the following:
- Live Track: Your friends and family can follow your races and training activities in real time on the Garmin Connect tracking page. You can also invite others to follow via email or social media. (You must have your phone paired to the device throughout your run for Live Tracking.)
- Automatic Uploads: When your workout is completed, you can automatically upload the stored data from your activity to Garmin Connect.
- Bluetooth Headphones: You can use Bluetooth headphones to listen to music loaded onto your fēnix watch.
- Phone Notifications: When you receive notifications and messages on your phone, they are displayed on the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar. If a phone call comes in on your Android phone, you'll be notified on the watch, where you can accept or decline the call. (To talk to the caller, you must use your connected phone.)
- Connect IQ: Allows you to extend your device features with new watch faces, widgets, apps, data fields, and music providers.
- Software Updates: You can keep your device up to date with software updates.
- Find My Phone/Find My Watch: When your fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar and smartphone are paired, you can locate a lost smartphone with the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar, or a lost fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar with your smartphone, as long as you're in range.
Wi-Fi Connected Features: You can connect wirelessly to local Wi-Fi networks for uploading your activity to your Garmin Connect account. You can browse for and select workout and training plans from Garmin Connect from your personal computer. The next time the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar connects to a wireless network, the files are automatically loaded to the device. Audio content from third-party providers can also be accessed.
Step Counter: The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar's activity tracking feature records your daily step count, distance traveled, intensity minutes, floors climbed, calories burned, and sleep statistics for each recorded day. You can create daily goals, which are updated automatically based on your previous activity levels. Move alerts, which appear after a period of inactivity, remind you to keep moving.
Running Dynamics: When paired with the optional HRM-Pro, the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar can analyze your running form. The accelerometer in the accessory heart rate monitor can measure torso movement and calculate the following running metrics: Cadence (number of steps per minute), Vertical Oscillation (your bounce when running), Ground Contact Time (amount of time you spend on the ground while running), Ground Contact Time Balance (left-right balance of your ground contact time), Stride Length (measured from one footfall to the next), and Vertical Ratio (ratio of vertical oscillation to stride length). You can view your running metrics as a color gauge on the display, showing you how your running data compares to those of other runners.
Golf Profile: The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar comes preloaded with full-color CourseView maps of more than 42,000 golf courses worldwide. The maps include distance data, and allows you to keep your score on the digital scorecard. You can track your stats for strokes, putts, greens hit, and fairways hit. As you play golf, distance information for each hole (front, middle, and back of green, plus layups and doglegs) are displayed on the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar. It also keeps track of how far you've walked, and the duration of your round. With the optional Approach CT10 golf club accessory, you can automatically track your shots with each club.
Swimming Profile: You can use the device to track your swimming workouts or performances. Swim profiles and metrics for open water or pool swimming are available, plus a combination of swimming and running. You can track your performance with multiple types of strokes. While you swim, the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar's wrist-based heart rate feature keeps track of your heart rate and how hard you're working. It can also keep heart-rate stats with an external HRM.
Outdoor Recreation: The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar offers a wide variety of profiles for multiple outdoor recreational activities. Whether you're hiking, climbing, mountain biking, or hunting, you can track your path, as well as ascent and descent elevations. On the slopes, there are profiles for skiing, snowboarding, and cross-country skiing. If your recreation takes you out on the water, you can keep statistics on your surfing, rowing, kayaking, windsurfing, or stand-up paddleboarding. The watch even has a Jumpmaster feature which can be used by experienced skydivers.
Sleep Tracking: The fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar's Sleep Mode automatically detects your sleep and monitors your movement during what you determine as normal sleep hours. Sleep statistics include total hours of sleep (naps not included), sleep stages, sleep movement, and an overall sleep score. If desired, you can turn on the Pulse Oximeter to continuously measure your oxygen saturation while you sleep. Sleep scores and statistics can be uploaded to your Garmin Connect account.
User Profile: The Garmin fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar uses information that you enter about yourself to calculate accurate training data. You can enter the following user profile information: Gender, Birth Year, Height, Weight, heart rate zone, and power zone settings. The device will use this information to calculate accurate training data.
Virtual Partner: The Virtual Partner feature is a training tool designed to help you reach your goals. You can set the Virtual Partner to run at a target pace or speed. As you run, you can "compete" with the Virtual Partner, checking the display to see if you are ahead or behind the target pace or speed. If the pace is too slow or too fast, you can adjust the speed of the Virtual Partner as you run.
Auto Lap: Auto Lap automatically marks a lap at a specific distance. This feature is helpful for comparing your performance over different parts of an activity. Each time you complete a lap, the device will beep or vibrate, and the lap time is displayed.
Auto Pause: You can set the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar to pause the timer automatically when you stop moving, or when your pace drops below a specified value. This feature is helpful if you have to stop for traffic or to tie your shoe during your run.
Watch Functions: When you're not working out, the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar can be used as a basic watch, displaying the time and date, along with an alarm and stopwatch. You can configure the watch face in a number of ways, including analog/digital, icons, style, and colors. Custom watch faces can be downloaded from the Garmin ConnectIQ store. The time is automatically set by the GPS receiver (or manually, if desired), and can be displayed in 12-hour or 24-hour format. The device can also provide local sunrise and sunset times.
Music: You can use the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar to listen to music from a third-party music provider, your personal audio content, or from music stored on your phone. The watch has enough capacity to store up to 2000 songs. You can also control and listen to music stored on your smartphone. If you have third-party music apps on your phone, you can use the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar to control it. Music controls include: volume up/down, play/pause, skip tracks (forward or backward), fast forward/rewind current track, repeat mode, shuffle mode, and browse your audio files and playlists.
VIRB Remote: If you have a Garmin VIRB action camera, the fēnix 7 Sapphire Solar can be used as a glove-friendly remote control. The camera commands for stopping and starting recordings and taking still photos are sent wirelessly via ANT+.
1 question already asked
I upgraded from a Garmin 245 music. This device is simply amazing. Charge lasts weeks, navigation is awesome. Definitely a learning curve since there is SO MUCH packed into this! It's early days for me, but I've planned hikes and runs and have been super happy with its performance.
Kevin from Louisville, KY