About the Garmin Varia HL500/TL300 Bundle
Stay safe on your ride
Stay safe on your ride
As a cyclist, I know that even the best intentioned motorists don't always have their full attention on the road. And when you're cycling, that lack of attention can have potentially catastrophic consequences for you. It's always best to ride defensively and let cars know where you are, and Garmin's Varia headlights and tail lights do that better then anything else out there. This bundle includes Garmin's Varia TL 300 tail light and the HL 500 headlight, which together can make your bike a much safer place to be.
Safety when overtaken
The Varia TL 300 tail light does a lot more than just blink. The light communicates with your compatible Garmin Edge cycling computer, meaning it'll automatically brighten and change the light pattern when you slow down, so the cars behind you will have a heads up if you need to brake suddenly. From your Edge's touchscreen, you'll be able to turn the lights on and off, and even indicate turns, with the turn signal shutting off automatically as your computer's GPS detects the end of the turn. The TL 300 emits a bright 24-lumen output and quickly recharges when your ride is over.
The first "smart" headlight
The HL 500 communicates with compatible Garmin Edge cycling computers and remotes via ANT+ wireless technology, giving it some very unique capabilities. If your computer has light-sensing capabilities, the HL 500 will automatically vary its intensity to match conditions — the darker it gets, the brighter it shines. And the beam of the headlight adjusts depending on your speed. As you go faster, the beam focuses further ahead; it shines closer to you as you slow. And the HL 500's beam is designed to stay low — illuminating the road, but not blinding oncoming drivers (or cyclists!)
- ANT+ enabled cycling tail light and headlight bundle
- mounts included
- steady and flashing light modes
- compatible with Garmin Edge 1000, Edge 820, and Edge 520 computers
- dimensions: tail light 1.5" x 3.6" x .7", headlight 1.9" x 3.6" x 1.6"
- weight: tail light 1.8 oz, headlight 7.8 oz
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-01419-00
What's in the box:
- Varia HL 500 smart bike head light
- Varia TL 300 smart bike tail light
- Varia remote control
- Universal Out-front Mount for head light (with thick and thin sizing bands)
- Multi-Location mount for tail light
- 2 Rubber pads (for Multi-Location mount)
- 2 Large O-rings
- 2 Small O-rings
- Seat-Post Quarter Turn Mount for tail light (with thick and thin sizing bands)
- Mountain Bike Mount (with rubber sizing ring) for Varia Remote
- Road Bike Mount (for Varia Remote)
- Rubber pad
- 4 Small O-rings
- 4 Large O-rings
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- 20" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- Important Safety and Product Information
- Notice on EPDM replacement bands
More details on the Garmin Varia HL500/TL300 Bundle
Varia Smart Bike Lights: The Varia line of cycling awareness products includes smart tail lights, smart head lights, and dedicated display units. This Smart Bike Light bundle includes the HL 500 smart head light, the TL 300 smart tail light, and the Varia remote, plus various mounts for each device.
HL 500 Smart Head Light: The HL 500 head light mounts on the handle bars of your bicycle using the supplied "Out-Front" quarter-turn mount. The head light has manual controls on the side which allow you to select from the following modes: Overdrive (600 lumens), High Intensity (400 lm), Medium Intensity (250 lm), Low Intensity (150 lm), or Flashing (600 lm). The HL 500's dimensions are: Width 1.894", Height 1.605", Depth 3.699"
TL 300 Smart Tail Light: The TL 300 tail light mounts high on the seat post on your bicycle using one of the supplied quarter-turn mounts. It has manual controls on the top which allow you to select from the following modes: High Intensity (22 lumens), Medium Intensity (14 lm), Low Intensity (7 lm), or Flashing (28 lm). The TL 300's dimensions are: Width 1.512", Height 3.603", Depth 0.956"
Varia Remote: The Varia remote control lets you control the HL 500 and TL 300 without removing your hands from the handlebars. With the 3-button control, you can change the brightness, pattern, intensity, and beam focus of the head light and tail light. If you have two TL 300 tail lights installed, you can also control the turn signals. The dimensions of the Varia Remote are: Diameter 1.451" Height 0.501".
Garmin Edge Compatibility: The HL 500 and TL 300 are compatible with the Garmin Edge 1000 and Edge Explore 1000 GPS bike computers. The lights can pair with the Edge device using ANT+ wireless technology. When paired, the Edge can automatically turn or or off all of the lights in the Light Network (all connected lights), using motion detection or when the device is powered on or off. The battery level of all paired lights appears on the Edge screen. Other features include (by connected device):
- HL 500: With the Edge device, you can set the light intensity of the head light. The beam angle automatically adjusts based on the rate of speed. Higher beam angles are used at high speeds, while lower beam angles are used at low speeds. During your ride, you can adjust the beam angle by swiping the screen on the Edge device. The HL 500 head light will also get brighter or dimmer as light conditions change, when paired with a light-sensing Edge 1000.
- TL 300: When you decelerate sharply, the Edge causes the TL 300 to change intensity and flash. If two TL 300 tail lights are used, you can use them as turn signals controlled by the Edge device.
Rechargeable Batteries: The Varia HL 500 and TL 300 are each powered by a built-in rechargeable Lithium-ion battery. Battery specs for each light are:
|Battery Life||Charging Time|
|Constant Illumination (High)||Flash Mode|
|HL 500 |
|2.5 hours||5 hours||6 hours|
|TL 300 |
|4 hours||14 hours||2 hours|
Mounting: The HL 500 head light, TL 300 tail light, and Varia remote all come with various mounts to attach them to your bike. The HL 500 comes with an Out Front mount which places it in front of the handlebars. The mount has device connectors for mounting the head light on the bottom, and an Edge device on the top. The TL 300 comes with two mounts: one for the seat post, and the other for multiple locations. All of these mounts are "quarter-turn" mounts which lock the light or Edge device firmly in place with a simple 1/4 turn in the connector. The Varia remote has two mounts: one for a road bike, and another for a mountain bike.
Water Rating: The HL 500 and TL 300 have an IPX7 water rating, making them suitable for use in rain or snow. They can withstand incidental exposure to water, but are not suitable for immersion.