About the Garmin StreetPilot i5
Garmin's compact StreetPilot i5 puts powerful navigation capability in your vehicle. It takes up very little space on your dash, and delivers accurate, turn-by-turn navigation that gets you to your destination efficiently.
Maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico are preloaded just use the scroll wheel to enter your destination, and you're ready to go. The i5 calculates your route quickly, getting you on the road in no time.
To navigate, you simply enter a specific address, street intersection, or one of the nearly six million points of interest including restaurants, hotels, and gas stations. The 2-D and 3-D maps on the color screen show you where you are and where you're going, while voice prompts tell you whenever you need to make a turn. Should you miss a turn, the i5 automatically recalculates your route.
The suction-cup mount secures the i5 to the windshield for at-a-glance visibility; the mount also makes it easy to transfer the i5 between vehicles. You can power the i5 with the included DC adapter, which plugs right into your vehicle's cigarette lighter, or with 2 "AA" batteries.
- plug-and-play satellite navigation unit with color screen
- WAAS-enabled, 12 parallel-channel GPS receiver
- built-in GPS antenna (plus a port for an optional external antenna)
- screen displays maps (2-D or 3-D) for visual guidance, voice prompts provide turn-by-turn instruction
- preloaded, detailed maps of the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico
- scroll wheel for making system adjustments
- destination selection by street name or specific address
- nearly six million points of interest
- suction-cup mount
- DC power adapter
- works with 2 "AA" batteries (not included)
- dimensions: 1-5/16" W x 1-3/4" H (screen), 3" W x 2-3/4" H x 2-3/16" D (unit)
- weight: 5.3 oz. (including mount, without batteries)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-00496-00
What's in the box:
- Portable navigation unit
- Suction-cup mount
- Hard plastic mounting disk (has attached self-adhesive pad)
- Cigarette lighter adapter with attached 6' cable (cable has an in-line ferrite core and is terminated with a Mini-USB Ver.2.0 connector)
- 37" USB cable with in-line ferrite core (cable has a USB-A connector on one end and USB Mini-B Type 2.0 connector on the other end)
- USB Drivers CD-ROM
- Setup guide
- StreetPilot i-Series Product Information Sheet
- Unlock Code sheet
- "Attention" note (attached to USB cable)
Garmin StreetPilot i5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin StreetPilot i5
Features & specs
|Map Coverage||USA, Canada, Puerto Rico|
|Points of Interest||6000000|
|Multiple Destination Routing||---|
|Digital Audio Playback||---|
|Text To Speech||---|
|Dynamic Content Services||---|
|Removable Memory Type||TransFlash (Micro SD)card|
|Battery Life||6 Hours|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Product Overview: The Garmin StreetPilot i5 is a compact, portable automotive navigation unit with a 12 parallel channel GPS receiver. It continually tracks and uses up to 12 satellites to compute and update your position every second. The StreetPilot i5 can automatically calculate a route and provide turn-by-turn directions and voice prompts.
Map Software: The i5 comes loaded with MapSource City Select North America NT software, which contains mapping detail of the entire United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The maps feature nearly 6-million points of interest (POIs), such as hotels, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs and attractions.
TransFlash (microSD) Card Slot: You can add additional maps using an optional TransFlash (microSD) Card.
GPS Accuracy: This unit's GPS positioning capability is accurate to less than 15 meters (49 feet). When WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) is enabled, accuracy is less than 3 meters (9.75 feet).
Display: The unit features a bright, 1.7" x 1.3" LCD screen. The display has a resolution of 220 x 176 pixels, with 32,000 colors. The screen has a manual brightness adjustment.
Controls: The i5 has the following controls:
- Scroll Wheel: The main control is the scroll wheel that allows you to move up or down through a list of options and press the wheel to select the highlighted option. You can also zoom in and out on a map. When you press and hold the button, you can save your current location as a favorite.
- "Back" Button: You can press the "Back" button to go back or exit from a page, press and hold to view the main page, and press to switch between the main page and the map.
- Power: Toggles the power on and off
Custom Points of Interest: The StreetPilot i5 will accept custom points of interest (POI) databases, available from various companies on the Internet. Some custom POI databases contain alert information for points such as safety cameras and school zones, and the unit can notify you as you approach one of these points. To download custom POIs, you will need the Garmin POI Loader software, available on Garmin's website.
Information Pages: The information provided by the StreetPilot i5 is found on various display screens called pages. Each page gives you the following information:
- Indicates real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route
- Shows map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways and towns
- When no destination entered, customized data tabs provide navigation detail, including moving direction, speed, time of day, and approaching streets
- When destination entered, customized data tabs provide driving instructions, distance to next turn, and ETA to final destination
- Turn List:
- Displays a list of turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route as well as arrival information
- Shows direction of each turn, distance and time to each turn, plus exit/route numbers and street/highway names
Where To? During navigation, you can search for places by pressing "Menu," then "Where To?". You can select from a list of options including Go Home, Address, Food, Hotels, Recent Finds, My Favorites, Intersections, and Cities. In many cases, you can select a category and a subcategory to narrow your choices. Once you have found your destination, you can start navigating to the destination, show the destination on a map, or save the destination as a "Favorite."
Avoid: You can program the unit to avoid certain things that may be undesirable on your route. Examples of things that can be avoided include Toll Roads, Highways, Carpool lanes, U-Turns, and Unpaved Roads.
Waypoints: The StreetPilot i5 can hold up to 500 waypoints with names and graphic symbols.
Map Orientation: You can select one of three map orientation displays:
- Track Up: Two-dimensional map that constantly displays the route from top to bottom on the screen.
- North Up: Two-dimensional map that constantly displays North at the top of the screen.
- 3D: Three-dimensional map that constantly displays the route from top to bottom on the screen (track up orientation)
Screen Color Mode: You can select one of three color modes for the display screen:
- Daytime: has a lighter, brighter background
- Nighttime: has a black background, easier to see at night
- Auto: display automatically switches between daytime and nighttime at sunrise and sunset
Indoor Use: When indoors, you can activate the built-in simulator and practice using the unit. This turns off the GPS receiver so it's not searching for satellites.
Power Requirements: The StreetPilot i5 operates on your vehicle's battery using the included 12-volt cigarette lighter power adapter or optional "AA" batteries. Two "AA" provide up to approximately 6 hours of use. Stored data, such as waypoints or unit settings, are not lost when the unit is disconnected from a power source.
Antenna: The built-in patch antenna is located in the unit's top panel. An optional external antenna may be needed when operating the unit with a coated windshield or an in-screen heating system that can block the GPS signal. The unit has an external GPS antenna jack with an MCX-type connector.
Mounting Options: The unit should be securely installed when used in a vehicle. The unit comes with a mounting bracket that includes a suction cup. The suction cup can be used to mount the unit to the windshield or to the dash (using the Dash Mounting Disk). Once the StreetPilot i5 is mounted, it can be adjusted on the ball-and-socket bracket for best visibility.
Note: If you're not using a remote antenna, the unit must be installed where it has a relatively unobstructed view of the sky.
Interface Capability: This unit can be connected to a PC via the supplied USB cable. This interface allows you to download additional map information to the unit's flash memory. The supplied CD-ROM USB driver must first be installed on your PC before connecting the unit via the USB cable.
Note: The unit's USB port is USB 2.0 Full Speed compatible.