About the Garmin GPSMAP 86sci
Stay the course on the open seas
Stay the course on the open seas
Garmin's GPSMAP 86sci marine GPS navigator has basically one function: to ensure you look like a boat boss without getting lost. This trusty vanguard makes a great backup and/or companion to your vessel's own navigation system, and you can see your own boat's data on its 3" display via streaming technology. It comes with detailed coastal chart maps to let you explore anywhere around North America, and it also features inReach® satellite communication compatibility so you can keep in touch with others in case you get stranded.
The GPSMAP 86sci's IPX7 waterproof and it floats, so you can take it on your boat without worry. The transflective 3" color display is easy to read in sunlight, so you won't be bothered by bright conditions. Nine buttons let you control the action on the screen. Its built-in rechargeable battery offers 35 hours of use in tracking mode or up to 200 hours without tracking on a single charge. And it comes with a powered mount so you can keep it charged while out on the open water.
Preloaded BlueChart g3 maps and basemap, plus support for more
The GPSMAP 86sci comes preloaded with BlueChart g3 maps covering the coastal U.S. (East Coast, West Coast, Gulf of Mexico, U.S. and Canadian sides of the Great Lakes). It also includes U.S. charts for the entire coastline as well as everything that's available on NOAA charts. It even features a worldwide basemap with shaded relief. The navigator's compatible with a wide selection of add-on maps, including topographic, automotive turn-by-turn, custom, and marine maps and charts from Garmin, plus raster and vector maps. It also supports geocaching GPX files so you can download adventures straight to your device, saving paper and giving you more time to search.
Stay in touch with your skiff
You can sync your compatible Garmin chartplotter and instruments with the GPSMAP 86sci, for real-time boat info on the handheld's 3' display. It can also function as a remote control for your Garmin autopilot and select FUSION marine gear. If you run into swells that are throwing off your tracking, it offers an adjustable GPS filter to smooth speed and heading indications.
Garmin equipped the GPSMAP 86sci with a bevy of communication options, including Bluetooth®, Wi-Fi®, and ANT+. You can even pair it with your compatible smartphone to receive alerts on the navigator for incoming texts and calls.
Maintain contact with the Garmin Explore app and inReach technology
Garmin's Explore app lets you map, sync, and share your travels from anywhere, including regions without cell coverage. And the app's your lifeline to inReach satellite communication, so when you trigger an SOS the GEOS 24/7 emergency response team will track your device and contact the nearest emergency responders. If you're part of an expedition, text communication with the rest of your crew is easy as long as you're all using compatible Garmin handhelds, wearables, or other mobile devices — you also get LiveTrack location sharing so people can follow your position remotely. A subscription is required to access inReach satellite communication, which operates on the global Iridium satellite network.
More maps? Of course!
The GPSMAP 86sci offers 16 GB of onboard memory, so you can download additional topo, marine, and road maps with ease. It'll also accept maps via microSD™ card. Garmin's Custom Maps feature lets you transform your old paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps you can transfer to the handheld, for extra backup.
- handheld marine GPS navigator with satellite communication capability
- built-in rechargeable battery with up to 35 hours of life (200 hours in expedition mode)
- also includes powered mount, USB cable, 2-pin cable, and lanyard
- 3" TFT color display (240 x 400 pixels)
- 16GB internal memory (expandable with optional microSD memory cards)
- SOS feature: alerts GEOS 24/7 emergency response
- barometric altimeter and 3-axis electronic compass
- built-in Bluetooth connectivity
- built-in ANT+ connectivity
- built-in Wi-Fi connectivity
- water-resistant floating design
- built-in worldwide basemap with shaded relief
- built-in Garmin BlueChart g3 coastal maps (East Coast, West Coast, Gulf of Mexico, Great Lakes)
- compatible with optional Garmin maps:
- CityNavigator (turn-by-turn directions)
- custom, raster, and vector maps
- includes access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery for real-life aerial terrain views
- compatible with GPS and GLONASS tracking satellites
- stores up to 10,000 waypoints and 250 routes
- stream boat data from compatible chartplotters and instruments to consolidate your marine system information
- functions as a remote control for convenient operation of your Garmin autopilot and select FUSION marine products
- adjustable GPS filter smooths speed and heading indications over swells
inReach Satellite Communication Features (subscription required):
- send and receive texts
- worldwide GEOS-supported 24/7 emergency monitoring
- works with Garmin's Explore app on compatible smartphones (no cell signal necessary)
Other Features & Specs:
- compatible with Garmin Connect and Garmin Explore smartphone apps
- hunt/fish calendar and sun/moon information
- Active Weather display and/or Geocaching Live when paired with Garmin Connect smartphone app
- flashlight and picture viewer
- waterproof rating: IPX7
- dimensions: 2-3/4"W x 7"H x 1-3/4"D
- weight: 9.6 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-02236-02
What's in the box:
- Marine handheld GPS device
- Powered cradle mount with attached 21" power cable (2-pin proprietary female connector)
- 5' USB power cable (Type A USB on one end and 2-pin proprietary male connector on other end)
- 39" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Four 1" self-tapping screws
- 4 Flat washers
- Quick Start Manual
- Important Safety and Product Information
- BirdsEye Direct-to-Device info sheet
Garmin GPSMAP 86sci reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin GPSMAP 86sci
Features & specs
|Map Coverage||BlueChart g3, Worldwide DEM Ba|
|Points of Interest||N|
|Multiple Destination Routing||No|
|Digital Audio Playback||No|
|Text To Speech||No|
|Dynamic Content Services||None|
|Removable Memory Type||microSD (up to 32 GB)|
|Battery Life||200 hrs (35 hrs tracking)|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Garmin GPSMAP 86sci is a handheld GPS device and Satellite Communicator for use while you're on the water. It includes a sunlight-readable 3" full color display with a resolution of 240 x 400 pixels, and is powered by a built-in Lithium-ion rechargeable battery. The GPSMAP 86sci has preloaded Garmin BlueChart g3 coastal charts with Garmin and Navionics® data. You can download high-resolution map imagery and raster-based topographical maps from BirdsEye Satellite Imagery directly to the device. It also features satellite communication through inReach and the global Iridium satellite network (subscription required). The rugged GPSMAP 86sci has a floating design, and an IPX7 waterproof rating, so it's safe near the water. It comes with a powered mounting cradle for charging the battery or operating on USB power. Dimensions: Width 2.777", Height 7.021", Depth 1.689"; Weight 9.65 ounces.
Global Satellite Receiver: The GPSMAP 86sci includes support from multiple Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS), including GPS (US), GLONASS (Russia), and Galileo (Europe). You can toggle WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) / EGNOS (European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service) on or off, if needed. In addition, the device has a tilt-compensated 3-axis compass, barometer, and altimeter to help you as you navigate.
BlueChart g3/Satellite Imaging: The device is preloaded with Garmin's BlueChart g3 maps, which covers the coastal US, including the East and West Coasts, the Gulf of Mexico, and the US and Canadian sides of the Great Lakes. The detailed 1' contours provide a more accurate depiction of bottom structure for improved fishing charts and enhanced detail in swamps, canals, and port plans. You can also get BirdsEye Satellite Imagery directly downloaded to your device (requires a Wi-Fi connection). This provides high resolution photo-realistic satellite views which are seamlessly integrated into the handheld device's map's whenever you need them. The $29.99 subscription lasts for 1 year (from activation), and the imagery downloaded to your device during the year does not expire. You can renew after 1 year to receive further updates.
GPS Navigation and Tracking: After selecting a destination, the GPSMAP 86sci can help you navigate to it. You can navigate using the map or the electronic compass. On the map, your route appears on the map as a magenta line, your location as a blue triangle. As you travel, the triangle moves and displays your path. Using the compass, an arrow points toward your destination, regardless of the direction you are moving. As you travel, the device records your path as an activity. The recording contains information about points along your path, including time and location. Once you have reached your destination, you can navigate back to the beginning of your activity using TracBack.
inReach: The GPSMAP 86sci has inReach technology to give you access to the Iridium satellite network for tracking and messaging, including sending an SOS. You can send and receive custom and preset text messages or emails, and receive a confirmation of its delivery. In case of an emergency, you can trigger an interactive SOS to the GEOS 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center. Pressing the dedicated SOS button sends a message to the International Emergency Rescue Coordination Center (IERCC), and they will notify the appropriate emergency responders of your situation. Of course, you should only use the SOS function in a real emergency. Using inReach satellite technology requires a subscription. Personal plans start at $11.95 per month, while porfessional plans are $19.95 and up.
inReach Weather: The optional inReach Weather Service provides detailed updates of the weather on your GPSMAP 86sci device. You can request weather forecasts for your current location, or other waypoints or destinations where you'll be traveling. Cellular connectivity (through your mobile device and Garmin Connect app) is required for Active Weather, which includes up-to-date forecasts, and maps of predicted temperature, wind, precipitation, and cloud cover.
Mobile Connectivity: The GPSMAP 86sci can connect via Bluetooth to your mobile device, or connect via Wi-Fi, to provide additional connected features. Your smartphone will need the Garmin Connect app to pair to the device. Connected features include:
- Bluetooth Sensors: connect to heart rate monitors or other sensors
- EPO Downloads: Extended Prediction Orbit files help you quickly locate GPS satellites, reducing the time to obtain a GPS fix.
- Garmin Explore: share waypoints, tracks, and routes with your device by syncing with the Garmin Explore app. You can download maps to your smartphone to access when offline.
- Live Geocache Data: gives you paid or subscription-free services to view live geocache data
- LiveTrack: allow friends and family to follow your activities in real time
- Phone Notifications: Displays phone notifications on your GPSMAP 86sci device
- Software Updates: The app lets you load software updates directly to your device.
Geocaching: Geocaching is a treasure hunting activity in which players hide or search for hidden caches using clues and GPS coordinates. You can register the GPSMAP 86sci with geocaching.com to search for a list of nearby geocaches. Using your device, you can search for and download a geocache, view the details, navigate to the geocache, and log your results.
Battery: The GPSMAP 86sci has a built-in Lithium-ion rechargeable battery, and comes with a powered mount. The battery charges via USB power, using included Micro USB cable and a USB charging port (on your computer or via a USB wall charger). The USB port is protected by a weatherproof cap. You can also use the device on the powered mount, which has a 21" cable and a 5' extension cable. The mount has four mounting holes on the back which are arranged in the standard AMPS mounting pattern (1.181" x 1.496 or 30mm x 38mm).
There are various ways to maximize battery life in the settings menu. Battery life is dependent upon your device settings:
|Mode||Typical Battery Life|
|Expedition/Power Save Mode |
(30-min Live Track Interval)
|Up to 200 hours|
|Default Mode |
(10-min Live Track Interval)
|Up to 35 hours|
|Unit Turned Off||Up to 1 year|