About the Garmin Varia RVR315
Improve your awareness
Improve your awareness
I know that riding a bike requires concentration and awareness. I've got to watch the road surface and check for upcoming traffic, all while concentrating on my effort level, gear choice, and more. And even though I've trained myself to look back frequently and listen for traffic, I've been surprised by upcoming cars — not a pleasant experience! Garmin's Varia RVR315 rear-view radar has an integrated sensor that sends information about overtaking traffic to compatible Garmin Edge cycling computers, Garmin fitness watches, or smartphones — even phones running third-party apps like Ride with GPS. It makes it a lot easier to ride safely.
Note: You'll need a compatible Garmin Edge cycling computer, Garmin fitness watch, or smartphone to serve as a display
When vehicles approach from behind, an overlay display appears on the screen of your computer or watch. The RVR315 even tracks multiple cars from up to 153 yards away (about 1.5 football fields), displaying the relative position of each with a dot on the display. And its 7-hour battery life means you're set for safety on your favorite long rides.
- ANT+ enabled cycling rear-view radar
- works with select Garmin Edge cycling computers and Garmin fitness watches
- alerts you of approaching vehicles up to 153 yards away
- battery life: 7 hours
- mount and charging cable included
- IPX7 water-resistance rating
- dimensions 1.8" x 2.8" x 0.8"
- weight 1.8 oz
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-02252-00
What's in the box:
- Rear-view bike radar
- Seat post quarter-turn mount
- Aero seat post shim
- Round seat post shim (straight)
- Round seat post shim (angled)
- Large O-ring
- Small O-ring
- 19" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety and Product Information
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin Varia RVR315
Overview: Getting hit from behind is the leading cause (40%) of cycling fatalities in the U.S. (according to a study by the League of American Bicyclists). The Garmin Varia™ RVR315 is a rear-view bicycle radar device that alerts you of approaching vehicles, up to 153 yards away. This battery-powered unit can be paired with several different devices, including a dedicated Varia radar display unit, a Garmin Edge bike computer, select Garmin wearables, and your smartphone. The RVR315 is powered by a rechargeable battery, and mounts to the seat post of your bicycle. Dimensions: 2-7/8"W x 1-9/16"H x 15/16"D; Weight: 1.8 ounces.
Compatible Devices: The Varia RVR315 works with a wide variety of devices to alert you of traffic approaching you from behind. Compatible devices include:
- Garmin Edge: Garmin's Edge series of bike computers display data from the RVR315 on the right edge of the active data screen. At the top of the display, a Threat Level LED changes color based on the potential threat level: green (no vehicle detected), amber (vehicle approaching), or red (vehicle approaching at a high rate of speed). A vehicle position LED moves up the column as the vehicle gets closer to your bike. The Edge device also provides audible alert tones (if enabled) when vehicles are detected. Compatible Edge devices include the Edge 1030, 1000, 830, 820, 810, 530, 520, 130, 25, and Edge Explore 1000 and 820. The RVR315 connects via ANT+ protocol.
- Garmin Wearables: A variety of Garmin Sport Watches ("wearables") can provide visual, audible, or vibration alerts when paired to the RVR315 rear-view radar device. Compatible wearables include: D2 Delta, fenix (5, 6 and Chronos series), Forerunner (735, 935, 945), tactix (Charlie, Delta), Varia Vision in-sight Display, and vívoactive (3, HR). The RVR315 connects via ANT+ protocol.
- Varia App: The Varia App can alert you of approaching traffic on your Android or Apple smartphone. The app provides color-coded visual alerts of the traffic threat. In addition, the app provides tone and vibration alerts if you're not looking at your phone. The app is compatible with devices running Android 5.0 and up, or iOS 11.0 or later. The RVR315 connects to your smartphone via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).
- Varia RDU: The Garmin Varia Radar Display Unit indicates the detection of a vehicle approaching from behind through a series of LEDs. The Threat Level LED changes color based on the potential threat level: green, amber, or red. A column of LEDs indicate the position of the approaching vehicle. The RVR315 connects via ANT+.
- 3rd Party Apps: The RVR315 can be used with various 3rd party apps, such as Ride with GPS, that let you overlay your maps with a rear-view radar alert.
Mounting: The Garmin Varia RVR315 installs on the seat post of your bicycle, aiming the radar toward the road behind you. It uses a "quarter-turn" mount, which makes the device easy to attach and remove. RVR315 emits a radar beam at an angle of 40°, and provides coverage for typical bends in the road. The device should be mounted vertically, as high on the seat post as possible, so that it has a clear view of the road. Rubber shims are provided for adapting to round or aero seat posts.
Power: The RVR315 operates on a built-in Lithium-ion rechargeable battery. The battery charges via USB (cable included) in approximately 3 hours using an AC adapter with a USB port, or 5 hours using the USB port on your computer. Battery life in Active Mode is approximately 7 hours.
Water Rating: The Rear-view Radar has an IPX7 water rating, making it suitable for use in rain or snow. It can withstand incidental exposure to water, but is not suitable for immersion.