About the Garmin Swim 2
The challenge for swimmers
The challenge for swimmers
Swimming is an awesome form of exercise. It's low-impact and great for the heart, lungs, and muscles. But like a lot of swimmers, I know that it's hard to quantify and measure your swimming workouts. Counting and keeping track of laps for distance is a challenge, as is keeping yourself on track with your rest intervals and splits when you're doing interval work. And swimming in open water? Good luck knowing how far you've gone.
Swim 2's HRM works underwater
The tool you need
Garmin designed their Swim 2 GPS smartwatch specifically for swimmers. Swim 2's wrist-based heart rate monitor works underwater so you can track your effort, and the watch measures distance, pace, stroke type, plus distance per stroke and stroke rate. An auto rest feature tracks your rest periods automatically during interval workouts, so you don't have to keep pressing buttons to start and stop the timer. Swim 2 even logs drill workouts like kicking or sculling, so you'll get credit for this vital portion of a well-balanced swim workout.
Hit the lake (or bay, pond, and more)
Swim 2 is an invaluable companion for open-water workouts. Accurate GPS tracking records your distance with precision. All the while it accurately records metrics like stroke distance and stroke distance, so you'll be able to gauge your swim efficiency.
You probably don't spend all of your workout time in the pool, so use Swim 2 for other activities. When you bike or run, Swim 2 will measure your time, distance, and pace. During the day, Swim 2 will track your steps and provide other fitness monitoring features. After the swim? Swim 2 syncs with your smartphone for notifications of texts, appointments, and selected social media notifications.
- multisport training watch with color display
- 1.04" (208 x 208 pixels) color LCD screen with glass lens
- swim-compatible wrist-based heart rate monitor
- Smart Notifications when paired with your smartphone
- compatible with Garmin Connect
- multi-satellite network capability (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo)
- customizable swim data fields, compatible with connect iQ app for custom watch faces
- interchangeable watchbands available
- time, date, alarm, timer, chronograph functions
- ANT+ and Bluetooth capable with compatible devices
- stroke count and swim efficiency
- time and distance alerts
- rest interval timers
- swimming metrics and stroke recognition
- lap counter
- open water swim distance
- training effect assessments for swim workouts
Activity Tracking Features:
- step counter with auto goal setter
- move bar
- sleep monitoring
- GPS-based distance time and pace for running and cycling
- built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery lasts up to 7 days (smartwatch); 14 hours (GPS mode), 72 hours (pool and OHR mode)
- water rated to 100 meters — not designed for scuba diving or high-speed water sports
- dimensions: 1.65"W x 1.65"H x .45"D
- fits wrists with circumference from 5.08" to 7.76" (larger bands available)
- weight: 1.4 oz
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-02247-00
What's in the box:
- Swimming watch (slate)
- 21" Data/charging cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on other end)
- Quick Start Manual
- Important Safety and Product Information
Garmin Swim 2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin Swim 2
Overview: The Garmin Swim 2 is a GPS smartwatch for use for aquatic activities in the pool or in open water. It features Garmin's Elevate heart rate technology to monitor your heart rate as you train, even as you swim. The built-in GPS tracks your outdoor workout, recording distance, pace, and stroke statistics automatically. The Swim 2 can pair with your smartphone for notifications and further enhancements.
Physical Attributes: The Swim 2 is a lightweight (1.4 ounces) swim watch that has a 5 ATM water rating -- suitable for splashes, rain/snow, showering, swimming, diving, and snorkeling. It is not suitable for scuba diving or high-speed water sports. The Swim 2 has a 1.65" diameter bezel with five keys around the perimeter (Light, Start/Stop, Back/Lap, Down, and Up). The watch has a 3/4" wide silicone band that fits wrists with a circumference of 5.08" to 7.76" (129-197mm). Larger replacement bands are available from Garmin to fit wrists with a circumference of 5.94" to 8.62" (151-219mm).
Display: The Swim 2 has a 1.04" diameter, full-color Garmin Chroma Display with a resolution of 208 x 208 pixels. The display is easy to read, even in direct sunlight. It is protected by a chemically strengthened glass lens. You can customize the watch face by choosing an accent color. The backlight can be set to turn on during key presses, when you receive alerts, or by gesture (when you raise your arm to look at your watch). The backlight timeout setting can be set to 8 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, or No Timeout.
Battery: The Garmin Swim 2 is powered by a built-in Lithium-ion rechargeable battery. The battery charges in approximately two hours via USB using the included cable. Battery life in GPS mode with wrist heart rate is up to 14 hours. In watch mode with smart notifications, activity tracking, and wrist heart rate (no GPS), the battery lasts up to 7 days. There are several things in the menu to extend the life of the battery, if desired.
Elevate Technology: The Swim 2 is equipped with Elevate wrist heart rate technology, which monitors your heart rate without having to wear a chest strap. Whenever you wear the Swim 2, your heart rate is being monitored, even while you sleep. The heart rate data helps to provide an accurate reading of calories burned, and to measure the intensity of your workout. You can also use the device calculate and use heart rate zones to measure your cardiovascular strength and improve your fitness. The device automatically uses wrist-based heart rate monitoring, unless you pair an ANT+ heart rate monitor, such as the HRM-Dual, HRM-Swim, or HRM-Tri.
Swim Features: The Garmin Swim 2 tracks your workout no matter where you swim. If you're outdoors, the built-in GPS measures your distance, pace, and stroke. At the pool, the device can still measure those statistics, plus other advanced swim features. The Swim 2 automatically records your swim intervals and lengths, as well as your rest times. You can set a target swim pace for your pool swim, based on the length of the pool. A pace alert will sound each time you should be turning at the pool wall.
Workouts: Using the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone, you can create custom pool swim workouts, then transfer them to your Swim 2 watch. The device will guide you through each step of your workout. Multiple workouts can be added to your training calendar and loaded to your device, so you'll be able to view your scheduled workout in the calendar widget.
Critical Swim Speed: Your Critical Swim Speed (CSS) is the theoretical speed at which you can swim continuously without exhaustion. Your CSS is used to guide your training pace and monitor your improvements over a period of time. In order to calculate your CSS, you'll need to conduct a time-trial-based test. In the Swim 2's menu, you can preview the workout steps. Once you select "Start", simply follow the on-screen instructions.
Non-swimming Activities: You can wear your Swim 2 sportswatch 24/7, not only when you're going for a swim. The device can be used to keep track of your non-swimming activities, including a step count, distance traveled, intensity minutes, calories burned, and sleep statistics for each recorded day. You can create goals for each activity, and set a move alert if you're sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Clock Functions: The Swim 2 functions as a full featured watch, with an alarm, countdown timer, and stopwatch with lap timer. The time can be set manually or automatically via GPS. When set via GPS, the time is automatically synced with the correct time in the time zone in your current location. It will also automatically update for daylight saving time.
Bluetooth Connected Features: The Garmin Swim 2 features Bluetooth wireless technology that allows you to pair the device to your smartphone through the Garmin Connect Mobile app, available for Android (5.0 and up) and iOS (11.0 or later). When connected via Bluetooth, you can do the following:
- Automatic Uploads: When your workout is completed, you can automatically upload the stored data from your activity to Garmin Connect.
- Phone Notifications: When you receive notifications and messages on your phone, they are displayed on the Swim 2.
- Connect IQ: Allows you to extend your device features with new watch faces, widgets, apps, and data fields.
- Workout Downloads: You can browse for workouts in the Garmin Connect app, and wirelessly send them to the Swim 2.
- Software Updates: You can keep your device up to date with software updates.
- Weather Updates: Your smartphone sends real-time weather conditions and notifications to your device.
- Music Controls: Controls on your Swim 2 let you control the music player on your smartphone.
- Find My Phone/Find My Watch: When your Swim 2 and smartphone are paired, you can locate a lost smartphone with the Swim 2, or a lost Swim 2 with your smartphone, as long as you're in range.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked