About the Garmin VHF 215 AIS
A rugged and reliable VHF radio
A rugged and reliable VHF radio
Garmin's powerful VHF 215 AIS marine radio keeps you in touch with the people who matter, wherever you're headed and no matter what happens. With NOAA weather radio, built-in AIS capability, and a GPS receiver, this radio is a potential lifesaver. It works with your NMEA 2000 network, so you can connect it to compatible Garmin chartplotters and other electronic gear.
Safer seafaring with AIS
With this radio, you'll be able to see AIS (Automatic Identification System) on your compatible chartplotter. AIS is a big benefit for boaters, since it will enhance communication, improve situational awareness, and help you avoid collisions in waterways all over the world.
Built-in GPS for extra peace-of-mind
When trouble strikes, you want help to arrive as quickly as possible. This radio's built-in GPS makes that a lot easier, so you'll feel a lot safer. In the event that you send a vessel distress call, the radio will send your boat's exact position to the authorities.
Versatile control options
The rugged, removable microphone/handset is tough enough for life on the water, and it can be relocated away from the radio to suit your situation. You can also add a Garmin GHS 11 remote handset (sold separately) and control your Garmin VHF 215 AIS from the flybridge or another location.
Ready if trouble strikes
With this rugged 25-watt radio, you'll have access to all U.S., Canadian, and international marine channels, plus 10 NOAA weather channels. It also gives you standard Class D Digital Selective Calling (DSC) functionality, so you'll have confidence in your distress calls if trouble strikes.
This fixed-mount radio is made for marine use and styled to look great alongside select Garmin chartplotters and MFDs.
- marine VHF radio with GPS
- built-in GPS sends pinpoint location info in emergencies
- rugged removable fist mic
- fixed-mount kit and power cable included
- NMEA 2000 and 0183 compatible
- view AIS (Automatic Identification System) info on your compatible chartplotter
- 25 watts of transmitting power
- Class D Digital Selective Calling (DSC) functionality
- receives all U.S., Canadian, and international marine channels
- 10 NOAA weather channels for 24-hour info
- IPX7 water resistance
- compliant with the latest FCC specs for Class-D VHF radios.
- works with Garmin GHS 11 wired VHF remote handset (sold separately)
- dimensions: 3.9"H x 7.8"W x 5.8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-02098-00
What's in the box:
- VHF 215 AIS marine radio with 16" pigtails (power / GPS / signal)
- Microphone with 27" coiled cord
- Protective cover
- Trim ring
- Bail mount bracket
- 2 Knobs (for bail mount)
- Four M4 x 25mm mounting screws (for bail mount)
- Microphone hanger
- Three M3.5 x 20mm screws (for mounting microphone hanger)
- Flush mount gasket with 3M adhesive
- 59" Power/ground cable (bullet connectors on each end)
- Quick Start Manual
- Installation Instructions
- Flush Mount Template
- Important Safety and Product Information
- Garmin Support contact information
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin VHF 215 AIS
Overview: The Garmin VHF 215 AIS marine radio helps you stay in contact with the shore and other boats in your area. The 25-watt two-way radio features built-in GPS and Automatic Identification System (AIS). It includes a fixed bail-mount bracket, as well as a flush-mount gasket, and is compatible with the NMEA 2000 network and NMEA 0183 devices. It covers all frequency bands, including all U.S., Canadian, and International Marine channels, plus ten NOAA weather channels. The VHF 215 AIS includes a handset with a coiled cord and a protective faceplate cover.
Automatic Identification System (AIS): The Automatic Identification System (AIS) is used by vessels and vessel traffic services (VTS) to identify and locate vessels by electronically exchanging data with other nearby vessels and AIS base stations. The VHF 215 AIS transmits location-identifying data to vessels within range of the radio, and displays the data on their chartplotters when you communicate. AIS enhances communication, situational awareness, and collision avoidance on the water. The AIS can be turned on or off in the radio's menu.
GHS 11 Compatible: The VHF 215 AIS is compatible with the Garmin GHS 11 VHF handset that gives you full functionality of the radio from a remote location. The GHS 11 comes with a 10-meter cable (33 feet) so you can operate the VHF 215 AIS from a second station in a remote cabin or another deck, away from the main radio.
Microphone: The VHF 215 AIS comes with a removable hand-held microphone with a coiled 27" cord. The microphone fits comfortably in the hand, and features a "push-to-talk" button on the side. The radio has a front panel jack for connecting the microphone with a waterproof cap to protect it when the mic is removed. A "button"-type microphone hanger is included.
Digital Selective Calling (DSC): The VHF 215 AIS features standard Class D Digital Selective Calling (DSC) functionality, which allows VHF radios to place and receive digital calls directly with other vessels and shore stations, including the U.S. and Canadian Coast Guards. You can transmit distress calls and direct calls using a user-programmed MMSI (Mobile Marine Safety Identity) number, which identifies your radio like a telephone number. Because it has built-in GPS, your latitude, longitude, and current time are transmitted when you send a distress call or other type of DSC call. DSC calls are transmitted on channel 70, and the radio has a dedicated receiver to monitor the channel in case you receive a DSC call.
Note: You can only enter your MMSI number once. If you must change the number, the radio must be sent to Garmin for programming.
Transmitting Modes: The VHF 215 AIS has two transmitting modes: Low and High. Low (1 watt) is used for local transmissions, while High (25 watts) is used for distance and distress transmissions.
Monitoring Channels: You can select and save an unlimited number of channels to monitor, or simply scan all channels in search of channels that are broadcasting. The receiving sensitivity can be set to Local (for decreased sensitivity) for high-traffic areas or Distant (for maximum range) for remote areas or on open water.
NOAA Weather Broadcasts: Weather broadcasts from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration can be received on this radio. Ten channels are available for monitoring weather broadcasts.
NMEA 0183 / NMEA 2000: The VHF 215 AIS is compatible with NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000. The device has plug-and-play compatibility to compatible Garmin chartplotters and MFDs via the NMEA 2000 network. When you connect the radio to a Garmin chartplotter, you can keep track of current and previous positions of the contacts in the directory. You can also use the chartplotter to set up an individual routine call, initiate a man-overboard (MOB) distress call from the radio, and use the chartplotter to navigate to the MOB location.
- Operating Temperature: 5°F to 158°F (-15°C to 70°C)
- Compass-safe Distance: 29.5"
- Frequency Range: 156.050 MHz to 163.275 MHz (including WX channels)
- Frequency Bands: All USA, Canadian, and International marine channels; 10 NOAA weather channels
- Operating Voltage: 12.0VDC
- Current Draw: Standby 350mA, Receive 600mA, Transmit 2.0A-6.0A (1W to 25W)
- Hailer Output Power: 20 watts at 4Ω
- Hailer Horn Impedance: 4Ω
- External Speaker Impedance: 4Ω
- Antenna connector: S0-239 (50Ω)
- Maximum Antenna Gain: 9 dBi
- Width: 7.754"
- Height: 3.858"
- Depth: 1.439" (including knobs)
- Width: 6.568"
- Height: 2.783"
- Depth: 5.265"
- Overall Depth (including faceplate): 6.625"
- Weight: 44.5 ounces