About the Garmin VIRB
As rugged as all outdoors
The Garmin VIRB features an aerodynamic design.
As rugged as all outdoors
If you're active in the outdoor scene then the Garmin brand is nothing new to you. From GPS navigators to bike computers to heart monitors, Garmins have earned a reputation for being adventure-hardened, 100% dependable, and easy to use. This Garmin VIRB camera is from the same pedigree: it's shockproof, waterproof, and freezeproof. It's aerodynamic, too, so for activities where micro-seconds count, there's no need to fear excess drag.
Built to keep going
This action video camera is built to keep on going when other competitors might take a rest. It features a best-in-class 2000mAh rechargeable lithium-ion battery that delivers 3 hours of shooting with typical use. Its built-in 1.4-inch Chroma display actually uses the sun's light to help define the picture, so it stays on throughout your shoot and hardly dings your battery power along the way.
Clear, detailed, and dynamic
That extended shooting time will pay off because you'll be getting great images along the way. The wide-angle 9-element glass lens delivers a sweeping scene at its widest setting, but it also offers a medium and narrow view setting, so you'll be able to vary your angles for a more dynamically interesting edit. Oh, and speaking of editing, Garmin supplies their desktop software, VIRB Edit, as a free download for PC and Mac. Lens distortion correction and digital stabilization will improve the footage you capture, preserving a realistic look and smoothing out bumps in the process.
Garmin's proprietary ANT+ connectivity will allow your VIRB to use data from compatible Garmin devices like bicycle computers to add information to the videos you generate.
- captures HD video in 1080p/30 frames-per-second, 960p/48fps, and 720p/30 and 60 fps
- alternate recording formats: WVGA 848 x 480 @ 120 frames per second (4x slow-motion)
- ANT+ compatible for wireless connection to compatible Garmin products like bicycle computers
- 1.4-inch Chroma display
- rugged, durable, waterproof, and freezeproof
- features an aerodynamic design
- digital stabilization removes the jars and shimmies from bumpy rides
- large, integrated instant-record slider makes it easy to engage recording even when wearing gloves
- HDMI (micro) output enables live streaming to a compatible monitor
- lens distortion correction improves the optical signal for video and stills
- snaps still JPEG images at up to 16 megapixels
- records to Micro SD, SDHC and SDXC cards up to 64GB (not included)
- uses VIRB Edit desktop editing software (free download for Mac and PC)
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- adapter for popular industry mounts
- flat and curved surface mounts
- USB cable
- short link and right angle link
- USB port for easy connection to a PC (cable included)
- micro HDMI port for easy playback on an HDTV (cable not included)
- 2-1/8"W x 1-5/16"H x 4-3/8"D
- weight (with battery): 6.26 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-01088-00
What's in the box:
- HD action camera (black)
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.7V 2000mAh 7.4Wh)
- Mount assembly (cradle / coupler / mounting arm / ring / thumbscrews)
- 2 Bases (with attached 3M adhesive pad)
- Mounting arm
- 20" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Mini-B 2.0 USB on other end)
- Quick Start Manual (Eng)
- Quick Start Manual (Span)
- Quick Start Manual (Fren)
- Important Safety and Product Information booklet
Garmin VIRB reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin VIRB
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||1.4|
|Total Pixel Count||---|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||---|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Optical Zoom||1 x|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||3 hours|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||---|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3, 16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||6.26|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Garmin VIRB is a compact action camera that can record Full HD video and 16 MP still images. The camera has a fixed-focus WideVü glass lens, a 1.4" Chroma LCD screen, and a versatile mounting system. The camera's rugged, waterproof housing will protect the camera if submerged in water (IPX7 1m/30 min).
Memory Cards: The camera will accept microSD/SDHC/SDXC cards up to 64 GB. A 64 GB microSD card will hold over 7 hours of 1080p HD video. Class 10 cards are recommended for optimum performance.
1.4" Chroma LCD: The VIRB features a 1.4" high-resolution Chroma LCD for setup, preview, and playback. The reflective screen actually uses the sun's light to show you exactly what you're recording, while using very little battery power. Recorded videos and still images can be reviewed immediately after shooting. You can quickly and easily access camera settings through the on-screen menu.
Video Recording: The VIRB has a 16MP CMOS image sensor, and records MP4 video. You can choose between 1080p (1920 x 1080/30 fps), Tall HD (1280 x 960p/48 fps), Fast HD (1280 x 720p/60 fps), and Economy HD (1280 x 720/30 fps). There are two speeds of slow-motion video: Slow Mo HD (1280 x 720p/60fps) plays back at 1/2 speed, and Super Slow Mo (848 x 480/120fps) plays back at 1/4 speed. Time Lapse images can be recorded at intervals of 1/2, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds to create a video that compresses a long period of time into a few seconds or minutes.
Still Image Recording: In addition to video recording, the VIRB can record still images (JPEG) in 16MP (4608 x 3456 4:3), 12MP (4608 x 2592 16:9), and 8MP (3264 x 2448 4:3) resolution. You can also set the camera to record a burst of multiple images to capture people or objects in motion. In Burst mode, the camera rapidly takes three 16MP images, five 12MP images, or ten 8MP images in one second. You can also take photos using the Self Timer after a 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 second delay.
Field of View: You can change the field of view in the Setup menu. There are four settings: Wide, Zoom 1 (2x--1080p mode only), Zoom 2 (3x--1080p mode only), and Ultra Zoom (4x).
Camera Settings: The VIRB's 1.4" Chroma LCD gives you quick and easy access to the camera settings. Unlike other action cameras that require connecting to a computer to change settings, you can select the video or still image modes on the spot.
Advanced Settings: The VIRB's advanced menu include three settings:
- Lens Correct: Corrects wide-angle barrel distortion and reduces the field of view.
- Stabilize: Turns on digital images stabilization to reduce shaky video.
- Flip Camera: Sets the camera to record video and still images with the screen facing up or down. You can select This Side Up or This Side Down.
Remote Control: You can start recording, stop recording, and take pictures on the VIRB using another compatible Garmin device with ANT+ wireless technology, such as the VIRB remote control, or the fēnix or fēnix 2 GPS watches. Multiple VIRB devices can be controlled remotely, and you can control one VIRB with another.
Power Requirements: The VIRB comes with a 3.7-volt, 2000mAh Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, which provides approximately 3 hours of battery life.
Outputs: Behind a waterproof cover, the camera's control panel has a Micro-HDMI output for connecting the camera to your TV. You can also connect the camera to your computer via the included USB cable for loading videos or still images, or changing camera settings.
Mounting: The VIRB comes with a versatile mounting system. The camera comes with a cradle and two self-adhesive, adjustable mounts (one flat and one curved). Each mount can tilt forward/backward, left/right, and rotate on the base. Each base has a strong 3M adhesive pad to stick to most clean surfaces.