About the Garmin vivomove® HR
The Best of both worlds
The Best of both worlds
When I first saw Garmin's vivomove HR, I did a double take — the elegance of a fine timepiece with the smart functions of a Garmin fitness tracker? Check and check. The vivomove HR combines physical analog watch hands with a touchscreen that displays both fitness metrics and smart notifications. You can track your steps or heart rate in real time, plus receive notifications for text messages and more, while sporting a fashionable watch that looks smart when you're out and about.
The smart display of vivomove HR stays in the background until you bring it to life with a quick flick of the wrist. When you want to interact with the touchscreen, the hands actually move out of the way until you're done, and then reset to the correct time. vivomove HR is compatible with industry-standard 20mm quick release bands, so you can swap out bands quickly to match your style of the day. The vivomove HR comes in two versions: the Sport model features a fiber-reinforced polymer case and a silicone strap, while the Premium model boasts a stainless steel case and a leather strap.
When your smartphone is paired, you can set vivomove to display notifications such as text messages, step goals, heart rate zones, podcast downloads — the list goes on. You can even control your music from the smartphone, so you can tuck your phone into a pocket, bag, or purse and still have control of your tunes.
Take charge of your health
Garmin's Elevate™ wrist-based heart rate technology opens up a world of wellness monitoring tools, including stress tracking and advanced sleep monitoring. Other built-in fitness tools include step counting, distance, intensity minute tracking, and even VO2 max estimates.
- hybrid smartwatch with HR monitor
- physical analog watch hands and touchscreen display
- built-in heart rate monitor with heart rate based calorie computation
- 3/8" x 3/4" touchscreen display with 64 x 128 pixel display resolution
- stainless steel bezel and reinforced glass lens
- case: fiber reinforced polymer (Sport); stainless steel (Premium)
- strap: silicone (Sport); leather (Premium)
- fitness monitoring tools:
- all-day stress tracking
- relaxation breathing timer
- VO2 max estimates
- activity timers for walks, runs, strength training, yoga, pool swims and more
- alerts for texts, emails, phone calls and more from paired smartphones
- measures steps, stairs climbed, activity intensity, calories, and distance
- music control of select smartphone music players
- VIRB® control
- wirelessly syncs with Garmin Connect online community
- inactivity alert
- watch size: 1-11/16" x 1-11/16" x 7/16"
- band size: fits 4-1/4" - 7" (small/medium); 5" - 8.5" (large); 5" - 8" (one size)
- battery life: up to 5 days (smartwatch mode); up to 2 weeks (watch mode)
- water rating: 5 ATM water rating (safe for swimming)
- weight: 1.4 oz (Sport); 2 oz (Premium)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-01850-12
What's in the box:
- Vivomove HR Sport fitness watch - Small/Medium (White with Rose Gold)
- 21" Charging cable with clip (Type A USB plug)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety and Product Information
Garmin vivomove® HR reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin vivomove® HR
Overview: The Garmin vívomove HR is a water-resistant sports watch and smart activity tracker with a built-in heart rate monitor that helps you reach your personalized daily and long-term fitness goals. This slender, lightweight Sport version is worn on the wrist, with actual physical watch hands plus a hidden 0.38" x 0.76" touchscreen (64 x 128 pixels) display. On the display, you can view your steps, calories burned, distances traveled, heart rate, floors climbed, reps completed, and activity intensity. vívomove HR also alerts you when it's time to move, or when you receive an email, text, a call on your smartphone, or a social media alert. It can even monitor your sleep. This small/medium-sized vívomove HR Sport weighs 1.44 ounces, and has a fiber-reinforced polymer case with an adjustable silicone wrist band that fits a wrist circumference between 4.21" to 6.97". A large-sized Sport version is also available for those with a wrist circumference of 5.43" to 8.46".
Device Modes: There are three modes for operating the vívomove HR. In Glance Mode, the watch hands show the current time, and the device is locked. Double-tapping the touchscreen will wake the device, allowing you to interact with the touchscreen. In Interactive Mode, the watch hands move away from the touchscreen. Lifting and rotating your wrist toward your body turns on the touchscreen. Lowering your wrist away turns the screen off. When the battery is low, the Watch Only Mode lets you see the current time, but the touchscreen remains off until you charge your device.
Elevate: The vívomove HR is equipped with Elevate wrist-based heart rate technology. The optical heart rate monitor is located on the bottom of the activity tracker and continuously measures your heart rate at the wrist. There is no need to wear a separate heart rate strap. Using the heart rate monitor during vigorous activity, the device will provide your VO2 Max estimates and your "fitness age" to show your fitness progression. The vívomove HR can broadcast your heart rate to other compatible Garmin devices, such as an Edge cycling device or VIRB action camera.
Garmin Connect: The vívomove HR has built-in Bluetooth Smart technology so you can automatically pair it to your smartphone or mobile device. With the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone or computer, you can keep track of your activities, your daily goals, the calories you've burned, and help motivate you to keep active. You can also share your activities and goals with your friends on social media. The vívomove HR settings are configured on Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect for your home computer is compatible with Windows 10 and Mac OS 10.10 or higher. Garmin Connect Mobile works with Bluetooth 4.0-enabled devices running Android (version 4.4 or later), or iOS 10.0 or later.
Widgets: The Garmin vívomove HR's on-screen widgets provide feedback on many activities. You can keep track of your activity level throughout the day and view the results on the screen at any time. Additional sensors, such as a bike speed sensor, can be paired to the device. You can swipe the touchscreen display left or right to scroll through the widgets. Some of the activities and display screens include:
- Time/Date: Displays the current time, day, and date (can be set manually, or automatically when it syncs up to your mobile device)
- Steps: Provides a count of the steps you take, and you daily step goal. As you progress, the device will propose a new step goal each day.
- Floors: Similar to the Steps widget, the device keeps track of the number of floors climbed and your goal for the day.
- Intensity Minutes: The vívomove HR counts the number of minutes spent in vigorous activity, plus your goal for the week.
- Calories Burned: Keeps track of the number of total calories burned for the day, including active and resting calories.
- Distance: Keeps track of the total distance traveled for the day, expressed in miles or kilometers.
- VIRB: Remote controls for a paired VIRB action camera.
- Music Controls: Music controls for the music player on a paired mobile device.
- Temperature/Weather: Displays the current temperature and weather forecast. Requires connection to a smartphone.
- Notifications: You receive notification of new texts, emails, social network updates, and phone calls received from the paired mobile device.
- Heart Rate: Shows your current heart rate and 7-day average resting heart rate in beats per minute (BPM).
- Stress Level: Displays your current stress level, based on your heart rate variability while you are inactive. The lower the number, the lower your stress level.
Rep Counter: If you are participating in a strength training activity, vívomove HR can record your reps and sets of a single move. Using the built-in timer, the device counts your reps (at least 6) until you complete one set. Each rep is counted when the arm wearing the device returns to the starting position. (It may not work well with leg exercises.) As you begin your second set, you can begin the counter again, and the device will count your reps. The Rep Counter works with bodyweight or free weight exercises, and over a wide range of motion. When completed, you can upload your strength training activity to your Garmin Connect account.
Stress Tracking: The device can analyze your heart rate variability while you are inactive to determine your overall stress. Your stress level is expressed within a range of 0 to 100: 0-25 resting state, 26-50 low stress, 51-75 medium stress, and 76-100 high stress. When stress levels are high, you can use the relaxation-based breathing timer (a 1 to 5 minute breathing exercise) on the stress widget to help lower your stress level. Syncing your device to your Garmin Connect account lets you see your stress level throughout the day, stress trends, and which parts of the day are the most stressful. For best results, you should wear the device while sleeping.
Move IQ: The vívomove HR's Move IQ feature automatically detects activity patterns, such as biking, swimming, walking, or running. This eliminates the need to start or stop the activity timer each time you begin a new activity. You can view the event type and duration on the Garmin Connect timeline, but they do not appear in your activities list, snapshots, or newsfeed.
History: The device can store up to 14 days of activity data (daily steps, calories burned, sleep statistics), heart rate monitoring data, and up to 7 timed activities. Data storage capability depends upon how often you upload the data to your computer.
Accessory Bands: You can change the look of your vívomove HR with Garmin's optional Quick Release Bands (20mm) directly from Garmin. These accessory bands are available in silicone, leather, or suede, and in multiple sizes and colors. No tools are needed to change the bands.
Water Resistance: The vívomove HR has a water resistance rating of 5 ATM, which means it can withstand pressures equivalent to a depth of 50 meters (164 feet). Not only can you wear the device in the rain and wet weather, you can even shower or swim with it. The device also has a wide operating temperature range of -14°F to 122°F.
Battery: The vívomove HR is powered by a built-in rechargeable Lithium-ion battery with a battery life of up to 5 days in Smartwatch mode, and up to 2 additional weeks in Watch mode. You can view the remaining battery charge (as a percentage) on the device's information screen. A 21" charging/data cable is included with the device. Charging a fully depleted battery takes approximately 2 hours.