About the Garmin vivosmart 4
Track your life, not just steps
Track your life, not just steps
The first activity trackers were pretty bare-boned. They tracked steps, maybe did some sleep monitoring, and that was about it. As an active triathlete and ultrarunner, I've watched with interest as Garmin has complemented their line of running and multisport watches with ever more capable activity trackers that incorporate heart rate monitors and other useful fitness tools. Their vivosmart 4 activity tracker is the next step in the evolution of these devices.
Heart rate data plus Pulse Ox monitoring
HR+'s Elevate™ technology measures heart rate at the wrist, so you won't need a heart rate strap on your chest. This data lets vivosmart 4 monitor your fitness on a daily basis, plus provides a baseline for calculating your VO2 max levels and other fitness metrics. Vivosmart 4 also adds wrist-base Pulse Ox measurements to help you monitor how well your body is absorbing oxygen, both at rest and during exercise.
vivosmart utilizes your heart rate variability to gauge the level of stress your body is experiencing. And the Relax Reminder feature will track your stress and send an alert to let you know it's time to chill and take a few deep breaths with the built-in relaxation breathing timer.
Advanced smartphone integration
This Garmin pairs with your smartphone to transfer data automatically to the Garmin Connect™ app, so you can track your progress, join online challenges, earn virtual badges, or just compare notes with family and friends. And the smart notifications feature will alert you with a gentle vibration when you receive a text, email, or phone call. If you've got an Android phone, you can even set up preset text responses so you can answer without interrupting your workout.
This Garmin does a lot of the nuts-and-bolts things you expect from a fitness tracker, like counting steps, floors climbed, and calories burned. But when you pump some free weights or sit down at the weight machine, vivosmart 4 will track your sets and reps — no more pencil scratching in a sweaty notebook. vivosmart even includes trackers for pool swims, so you can skip the tedium of counting laps. The data even gets automatically pushed to Garmin Connect™ so you can review or share it later.
Stay charged up
Garmin uses a combo of measurements — sleep, heart rate variability, activity, and stress — to keep track of your energy reserves, so you'll know when it's the right time to hit the gym, or the right time to hit the sack. Body Battery energy monitoring will help you optimize your workouts to get the most out of your activities.
A stylish addition to your lifestyle
The crystal-clear OLED touchscreen makes this Garmin easy to use — just touch and swipe the screen if you want to read or change settings. And there are a variety of different colors you can choose from to match your taste. You can also control select music players on your smartphone, or even take charge of a Garmin VIRB action camera when you're recording an epic adventure.
- smart activity tracker with HR monitor
- built-in heart rate monitor with heart rate based calorie computation
- Pulse Ox² sensor gauges blood oxygen saturation levels
- OLED touchscreen display (0.70" x 0.26")
- fitness monitoring tools, including all-day stress tracking, relaxation breathing timer, VO2 max, Body Battery energy monitor
- activity timers for walks, runs, strength training, yoga, pool swims and more
- vibration alerts for texts, emails, and phone calls from paired Bluetooth devices
- measures steps, stairs climbed, activity intensity, calories, and distance
- music control of select smartphone music players
- VIRB® control
- wirelessly syncs with Garmin Connect online community
- inactivity alert
- band size: fits 4.8"-7.4" (small/medium); 5.8"-8.5" (large)
- rechargeable lithium battery, up to 7 days between charges
- safe for swimming
- weight: 20.4 gm (small/medium); 21.5 gm (large)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 010-01995-12
What's in the box:
- Small/medium smart activity tracker (gray w/rose gold hardware)
- 22" Charging cradle/cable (Type A USB)
- Quick Start Manual
- Important Safety and Product Information
Garmin vivosmart 4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Garmin vivosmart 4
Overview: The Garmin vívosmart 4 is a water-resistant smart activity tracker with a built-in heart rate monitor that helps you reach your personalized daily fitness goals. The slender, lightweight device is worn on the wrist, and has a 0.26" x 0.7" (48 x 128 pixels) touchscreen display. On the display, you can view your steps, calories burned, distances traveled, heart rate, floors climbed, reps completed, and activity intensity. vívosmart 4 also alerts you when it's time to move, or when you receive an email, text, a call on your smartphone, or a social media alert. It can even monitor your sleep. This vívosmart 4 weighs just 0.58 ounces, and has an adjustable wrist band that fits small-to-medium wrist circumferences of between 4.8" to 7.4". A large-sized version (in black only) is also available for those with a wrist circumference of 5.8" to 8.5".
Elevate: The vívosmart 4 is equipped with Elevate wrist-based heart rate technology. A Pulse Ox sensor, located on the bottom of the activity tracker, continuously measures your heart rate and blood oxygen saturation levels at the wrist. There is no need to wear a separate heart rate strap. The vívosmart 4 can broadcast your heart rate (in beats per minute) to other compatible Garmin devices, such an Edge cycling device or VIRB action camera.
Body Battery: The device can gauge your body's energy reserves at any moment. Your Body Battery reading is calculated using a combination of stress, heart rate variability, sleep, and activity data. Knowing your energy reserve level helps you to know when it's best to be active, and when you should rest. The Body Energy reading is expressed numerically between 0 and 100, with a trending arrow indicating if your energy reserve is increasing, decreasing, or holding steady.
Garmin Connect: The vívosmart 4 has built-in Bluetooth Smart technology so you can automatically pair it to your smartphone or mobile device. With the Garmin Connect app on your smartphone or computer, you can keep track of your activities, your daily goals, the calories you've burned, and help motivate you to keep active. You can also share your activities and goals with your friends on social media. The vívosmart 4 settings are configured on Garmin Connect, including Time Format (12-hour or 24-hour), Measurement Units (miles or kilometers), Visible Screens, and Auto Goal. Garmin Connect for your home computer is compatible with Windows 7 SP1 and newer and Mac OS X v10.11 or later. Garmin Connect Mobile works with Bluetooth 4.0-enabled devices running Android 4.0 or higher, or iOS 9.0 and above.
Widgets: The Garmin vívosmart 4's on-screen widgets provide feedback on many activities. You can keep track of your activity level throughout the day and view the results on the screen at any time. Additional sensors, such as a bike speed sensor, can be paired to the device. You can swipe the touchscreen display left or right to scroll through the widgets. Some of the activities and display screens include:
- Time/Date: Displays the current time, day, and date (can be set manually, or automatically when it syncs up to your mobile device)
- Steps: Provides a count of the steps you take, and you daily step goal. As you progress, the device will propose a new step goal each day.
- Floors: Similar to the Steps widget, the device keeps track of the number of floors climbed and your goal for the day.
- Intensity Minutes: The vívosmart 4 counts the number of minutes spent in vigorous activity, plus your goal for the week.
- Calories Burned: Keeps track of the number of total calories burned for the day, including active and resting calories.
- Distance: Keeps track of the total distance traveled for the day, expressed in miles or kilometers.
- VIRB: Remote controls for a paired VIRB action camera.
- Heart Rate: Shows your current heart rate and 7-day average resting heart rate in beats per minute (BPM).
- Music Controls: Music controls for the music player on a paired mobile device.
- Temperature/Weather: Displays the current temperature and weather forecast. Requires connection to a smartphone.
- Notifications: You receive notification of new texts, emails, social network updates, and phone calls received from the paired mobile device. The notifications include visual alerts, as well as vibrations.
- Message: A custom message that you create on the Garmin Connect Mobile app appears in the display.
- Stress Level: Displays your current stress level, based on your heart rate variability while you are inactive. The lower the number, the lower your stress level.
- Body Battery: Displays your current Body Battery energy reserve, based on sleep, stress, and activity data. The higher number indicates a higher energy reserve.
Advanced Sleep Monitoring: The vívosmart 4 can help you analyze your sleep, by monitoring your movement, heart rate, and blood oxygen levels. The device tracks your light, deep, and REM stages of sleep, and allows you to view your sleep stats in the Garmin Connect mobile app.
Note: Pulse Ox monitoring during sleep can greatly reduce the battery life.
Stress Tracking: The device can analyze your heart rate variability while you are inactive to determine your overall stress. Your stress level is expressed within a range of 0 to 100: 0-25 resting state, 26-50 low stress, 51-75 medium stress, and 76-100 high stress. When stress levels are high, you can use the relaxation-based breathing timer (a 1 to 5 minute breathing exercise) on the stress widget to help lower your stress level. Syncing your device to your Garmin Connect account lets you see your stress level throughout the day, stress trends, and which parts of the day are the most stressful. For best results, you should wear the device while sleeping.
Move IQ: The vívosmart 4's Move IQ feature automatically detects activity patterns, such as biking, swimming, walking, or running, for at least 10 minutes. This eliminates the need to start or stop the activity timer each time you begin a new activity. You can view the event type and duration on the Garmin Connect timeline, but they do not appear in your activities list, snapshots, or newsfeed.
History: The device can store up to 14 days of activity data (daily steps, calories burned, sleep statistics), heart rate monitoring data, and up to 7 timed activities. Data storage capability depends upon how often you upload the data to your computer.
Water Resistance: The vívosmart 4 is designed with a high water resistance rating, allowing you to wear the device in the rain and wet weather, as well as in the shower or while swimming.
Battery: The vívosmart 4 is powered by a built-in rechargeable Lithium-Polymer battery with a battery life of up to 7 days, excluding pulse ox sleep tracking. A 22" charging/data cable is included with the device.