About the Sony STR-DE545
With Sony's STR-DE545 driving your A/V system, you're in store for all the thrills digital home theater has to offer! This A/V receiver has super-precise, 24-bit processing built in for Dolby® Digital and DTS. Pop in a 5.1-channel DVD and find out what the fuss is all about! This Sony also has the Dolby Pro Logic™ decoding you need to experience multichannel surround sound from sources like a HiFi VCR or stereo TV.
With 100 watts per channel in stereo mode, or 100 watts x 5 in home theater mode, you get the multichannel power you need for sonic clarity, realism, and impact. Speaking of realism, the 'DE545's built-in Digital Signal Processing includes Digital Cinema Sound™ exclusive soundfield circuitry based on acoustic measurements made at Sony Pictures Studios movie production stages. You'll hear movie soundtracks the way the producers and directors intended!
When it comes to connections, the STR-DE545 has you covered. You get 3 inputs for digital sources (2 optical, 1 coaxial), 3 A/V inputs (including one S-video, and one 5.1-channel input) plus 3 inputs for your audio-only sources. A second set of main speaker outputs means you can wire a deck, patio, or separate room for stereo sound.
- Dolby Digital, DTS, and Pro Logic decoding
- 3 digital inputs (2 optical, 1 coaxial)
- 11 DSP soundfields (3 are Digital Cinema Sound modes)
- 100 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD or 100 watts x 5 in home theater mode
- 4/8-ohm impedance switch
- multibrand A/V remote control
- preamp-level subwoofer output
- 3 audio and 3 A/V (including one S-video and one 5.1-channel) inputs
- no phono input
- 30 AM/FM presets
- FM sensitivity 11.2 dBf
- Sony Control A1-II jack
- 17"W x 6-1/4"H x 13-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- RM-PP404 wireless remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop and FM wire antennas
- Wire-to-coax adapter for FM wire antenna
- Control-A1II instruction sheet
- Receiver operating instructions
- Remote commander operating instructions
- Note on correct way to hook up speaker wire
- Warranty card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony STR-DE545
Features & specs
Video Surround Modes:
- Normal Surround:
Normal Surround includes the following
- Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Digital sources are played with as many channels as recorded; 2-channel stereo sources are decoded with Dolby Pro Logic
- Cinema Studio Ex. A: Reproduces Sony's "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio.
- Cinema Studio Ex. B: Reproduces Sony's "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio.
- Cinema Studio Ex. C: Reproduces Sony's scoring stage.
- Virtual Multi Dimension: Uses 3D sound imaging to create an array of virtual rear speakers positioned higher than the listener from a single pair of actual rear speakers.
- V.Semi-M. Dimension: Uses 3D sound imaging to create virtual rear speakers from the sound of the front speakers without using actual rear speakers. It creates 5 sets of speakers surrounding the listener at a thirty degree angle of elevation.
- Jazz Club
- Live House
Auto Format Decoding: Automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, 2 channel) and performs the proper decoding without adding any effects.
- Front Speakers: You can select LARGE or SMALL
- Center Speaker: You can select NO, LARGE or SMALL
- Rear Speaker: You can select NO, LARGE or SMALL
- Rear speaker place: When using rear speakers this setting is used for proper operation of virtual rear settings, you can select SIDE, or BEHIND
- Rear speaker height: You can select LOW or HIGH
- Subwoofer: You can select YES or NO
The level can be balanced between rear speakers.
The rear, center, and subwoofer level can be adjusted from -10 to +6dB in 1dB steps.
Depending on the Mode you select, you can adjust the following parameters:
- Speaker distance: You can select feet or meters
- Wall Type (wall material simulation): 17 steps from hard to soft
- Effect (overall presence of sound field): 21 steps
- Reverberation time: 17 positions
- LFE Mix: Lowers the LFE channel, you can select Mute, and from -20 to +10dB in 1B steps. Note that this effects only the LFE channel, not the bass sent to the sub through bass reduction circuitry.
- D. Range Compression: You can select OFF, 0.1-0.9, in 1 dB steps. Enables or disables dynamic compression for less variation in volume
Dimmer: You will find 3 levels of display brightness, plus you can turn the display off (control from the front of the unit only).
5.1 Channel Input: Although this unit features built-in Dolby Digital and DTS processing, it also has a 5.1 channel input for use with external multi-channel decoders, including potential future units such as DVD Audio players.
Source Indexing: Preset
stations and Program sources may be indexed by having up to 8 characters
assigned for each preset or program source. For example, two VCRs can be
displayed as 8MM and VHS.
Sleep Timer: Selectable for 30/60/90/120 minutes.
This unit comes with a multi-brand A/V remote. The upper 1/2 of the remote's front folds down to reveal more buttons:
- cursor arrows
- level controls
- test tones
- center and rear levels
- guide and menu
The remote transport, volume, channel, preset up/down, and source keys glow in the dark (green).
For Sony TVs with picture-in-picture functions, the remote also controls the following functions:
- POSI: Changes the position of the small picture
- SWAP: Changes the small and the large picture
- P in P: Activates the picture-in-picture function
The remote is precoded for the following CD players:
The remote is precoded for the following DAT Decks:
The remote is precoded for the following MD decks:
The remote is precoded for the following Tape Decks:
The remote is precoded for the following LD players:
The remote is precoded for the following VCRs:
The remote is precoded for the following DVD players:
The remote is precoded for the following Televisions:
The remote is precoded for the following DBS receivers and cable boxes:
- Phones: Standard headphone jack
- Digital Inputs/Outputs:
- DVD/LD Coax digital input: (This is NOT AC-3 RF, if you are using a LaserDisc with AC3-RF output you will need to purchase a demodulator!) (Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM)
- DVD/LD In: Toslink input (Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM)
- TV/SAT In: Toslink input (Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM)
- Antenna inputs: FM Coax and AM spring clip antenna inputs
- Aux: RCA stereo input
- CD: RCA stereo input
- MD/Tape: RCA stereo input and output
- TV/SAT: RCA audio/video input
- LD/DVD: RCA audio/video and S-video input
- Video: RCA audio/video input and output
- Monitor: RCA and S-video output
- Control: A1II minijack output
- 5.1 CH Input: Consisting of Left and right front and rear, center and subwoofer RCA inputs for use with external multi-channel decoders (for video use it is used with any of the Video inputs on the unit)
- Subwoofer: RCA Preout mono output for subwoofer
- Impedance selector switch (4/8 ohms)
- Speakers: Spring clip outputs for A and B, surround, and center speakers
- AC Outlets: Switched AC outlet (120W/1A max)
Speaker Outputs: You must use 8 ohm speakers if you use A and B speakers simultaneously. Only the "A" speakers can be activated when using the surround sound modes.
Memory: All the settings are retained in memory and linked to the sound field they were adjusted for. These settings are retained in memory for about 2 weeks in case of a power outage.