About the Sony WH-1000XM2
The Sony WH-1000XM2 wireless noise-canceling headphones fold up neatly for travel.
You'll find the Sony WH-1000XM2 wireless noise-canceling headphones on many "best-of" lists. They are definitely one of my go-to recommendations for both travel and everyday use. Sony's flagship noise-cancelers have great sound, sharp looks, and a snug, comfortable fit. Plus you get custom control over the level of noise cancellation.
Completely personalized noise cancellation
Sony has used adaptive noise cancellation for a while now, and I've always found the circuitry very effective. It takes your surroundings into account, then adjusts the level of noise cancellation. But their "next-gen" circuitry goes one step further.
The WH-1000XM2 includes special on-ear sensors that can detect whether you are moving or standing still — and even if you're wearing glasses or not. Another sensor monitors barometric pressure. So now Sony can serve up noise cancellation that's optimized to the height of your in-flight plane.
Plus, you can download Sony's Headphones Connect mobile app for direct control over what noises you let in or keep out.
A convenient way to hear others
You can even choose to let in important ambient noise or voices. Temporarily turn off the noise-canceling technology by simply placing your hand over the right earcup. Tiny mics will pick up external sounds and voices.
When it's time to place a drink order, just put your hand over the right earcup.
Special aluminum-coated drivers
These headphones are designed to deliver maximum detail from your music. The 40mm drivers have a strong-yet-light aluminum-coated diaphragm. It can respond rapidly and retain its shape, for accurate sound with a clear, detailed midrange. Specially designed vents in the earcups allow air to pass through, accentuating the bass.
And with the Headphones Connect app, you can dial-in the sound signature to meet your preference.
Music plays wirelessly from your Bluetooth-equipped phone or portable player. Sony's included an advanced form of audio coding called "aptX-HD®," for improved sound quality with devices that support this technology.
And for the best in wireless sound, you can use these headphones together with a Sony High-res Walkman. This pairing takes advantage of Sony's LDAC technology, which allows the wireless signal to retain all the musical detail that gives a song personality.
30 hours of battery life and touch control
When fully charged, you can expect up to 30 hours of wireless listening with noise-cancellation turned on. You can toggle this feature on and off using the snappy touch-sensitive panel on the right earcup. It's also great for controlling music, volume, and calls with a simple tap or swipe of your finger.
- closed-back, over-the-ear headphones
- dynamic 40mm drivers with an aluminum-coated, Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragm for powerful, accurate sound
- Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls with compatible smartphone
- aptX-HD® and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming from compatible sources
- S-Master® HX amplification offers detailed playback of wireless music
Adaptive Noise Cancellation:
- active noise cancellation circuitry adjusts to the level of external sound
- free Sony Headphones Connect app for Apple and Android lets you adjust settings
- customize the sound and manually choose the level of noise cancellation
- Adaptive Sound Control uses movement sensors to adapt noise cancellation
- detects whether your running, walking, standing still, or riding in car (app required)
- barometric pressure sensor
- optimizes noise-canceling and sound to your altitude when in flight
- NFC-compatible for one-touch Bluetooth pairing with compatible devices
- earcup touch controls let you answer calls, play/pause music, skip tracks, and control volume
- quickly turn off noise-canceling by covering right earcup with hand
- built-in microphone for making calls with a smartphone
General Info and Specs:
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 30 hours of wireless use with noise cancellation
- 10 minutes of recharging provides enough power for 70 minutes of listening
- includes USB cable for charging and miniplug cable for wired use
- airline adapter included for in-flight entertainment systems
- portable folding design with carrying case included
- frequency response: 20-40,000 Hz
- weight: 9.7 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WH1000XM2/N
What's in the box:
- Over-ear wireless headphones (champagne gold)
- 60" Audio cable (straight 3.5mm plug on one end and a right-angled 3.5mm plug on other end)
- 20" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and a Micro-B USB on other end)
- Airline adapter (single female 3.5mm to dual male 3.5mm)
- Zippered storage case
- Reference Guide
- Operating Instructions
- Limited Warranty (US & Canada)
Sony WH-1000XM2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony WH-1000XM2
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.147" x 3.982"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||4-40k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony WH-1000XM2 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones have all of the latest features in wireless headphones for the best experience in personal listening. With Digital Noise Cancellation, Adaptive Sound Control, and Touch Sensors on the earcups, the headphones make it easy to get the sound you want from your digital music files. The headphones include an audio cable for wired listening, airline audio adapter, a USB charging cable, and a zippered storage case.
Bluetooth/NFC: The 1000XM2 has Bluetooth 4.1 for wireless listening from your smartphone, tablet, or Bluetooth music player. Compatible profiles include A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, and HSP, with SBC, AAC, LDAC, aptX, and aptX HD codecs. LDAC transmits approximately three times more data than conventional Bluetooth, with a maximum transfer rate of 990 kbps for exceptional sound quality. For NFC-enabled devices, you can easily pair to the headphones by simply touching the device to the N-mark on the left earcup of the headphones.
Digital Noise Cancellation: The headphones are equipped with built-in microphones on the top of the earcup that captures outside noise and sends and equal-but-opposite cancelling signal to the unit. You'll be able to hear more of your music and less of the outside distractions. The Sony Headphones Connect app has a Noise Cancelling Optimizer that takes into account the shape of your face, whether or not you wear eyeglasses, even the atmospheric pressure, to make the noise cancelling effect even better.
Adaptive Sound Control: Sony's Adaptive Sound Control can detect your activity and adjust the sound settings to you. When traveling, you can immerse yourself in your music with the highest level of noise cancellation. If you're walking, the noise cancellation adapts so you can stay aware of your surroundings while listening to music. While waiting, such as in an airport or train station, the noise cancellation is reduced so you can hear important announcements. These settings can be customized to your personal tastes in the Sony Headphones Connect app.
Sony Headphones Connect App: The Sony Headphones Connect app gives you control over the sound of your headphones right on your smartphone or tablet. In addition to Adaptive Sound Control and Noise Cancelling Optimizer (mentioned above), the app's Sound Position Control lets you choose the direction from which you hear your music (Front, Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, or Rear Left). You can select from available presets for the Surround VPT and Equalizer features, control your music (play/pause, skip forward/backward, fast forward/backward), and set the Clear Bass and DSEE HX (high range compensation for compressed music files) levels. The Sony Headphones Connect app is compatible with iOS devices (iOS 9.0 or later) and Android devices (Android 4.4 and up).
Google Assistant: The Sony Headphones Connect app now gives you access to Google Assistant. To set up the Google Assistant, you will need to use the app to change the function of the NC/Ambient button on the left ear cup from Ambient Sound Control to Google Assistant. To use Google Assistant, just press and hold the NC/Ambient button and speak. You can ask it to play music, dial and answer calls, reply to messages, find out the weather forecast, and remind you about appointments, birthdays, anniversaries, and when to pay bills.
Touch Controls: Using the touch-sensitive panel on the outside of the right earcup, you can easily control all your music and calls. Volume is controlled with up or down swiping motions, while music/call controls utilize tapping and forward or backward swipes. The Quick Attention feature lets you instantly mute the audio by placing your hand over the touch pad so you can hear an announcement or conduct a conversation without removing your headphones.
High Resolution Audio: The headphones are compatible with Hi-Res Audio, allowing you to hear all of the subtle details of your music. They have powerful 40mm aluminum-coated Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragms that can reproduce low bass notes and ultrasonic highs up to 40kHz. For true Hi-Res audio reproduction, the included 5' audio cable must be used in a wired connection to your Hi-Res-capable playback device.
Rechargeable Battery: The Sony WH-1000XM2 over-ear headphones are equipped with a 3.7-volt Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery to power the Bluetooth and ANC functions. The battery fully charges in approximately 4 hours via USB using the included Micro USB cable. With a 10-minute Quick Charge, you can get about 70 minutes of music playback. (See battery life estimates below in Specifications.)
- Frequency Response:
- Wired: 4Hz to 40kHz (with or without NC)
- Wireless: 20Hz to 20kHz (44.1kHz sampling); 20Hz to 40kHz (LDAC 96kHz sampling, 990 kbps)
- Sensitivity: 103dB/mW (wired, NC on); 98dB/mW (wired, NC off)
- Impedance: 46Ω (wired, NC on); 14Ω (wired, NC off)
- Full Charging Time: approx. 4 hours
- Battery Life (estimated):
- Music Playback: 30 hours (NC on), 38 hours (NC off); 70 minutes (after 10 min quick charge)
- Communications: 30 hours (NC on), 38 hours (NC off)
- Standby: 40 hours (NC on), 200 hours (NC off)
- Noise Cancelling with Headphone Cable Connected: 40 hours
- Earcups: Width 3.147" Height 3.982" Depth 2.006"
- Headband: Width 1.058"
- Weight: 9.8 ounces (w/o cable)
6 questions already asked