About the Sony ES STR-DA1500ES
Experience an elevated standard of performance
Experience an elevated standard of performance
Sony built the STR-DA1500ES especially for discriminating listeners who demand rich, clear stereo sound and rugged reliability. This exceptional receiver delivers 95 watts per channel of clean stereo power to play your music with room-filling authority and precision. It also provides advanced extras like satellite radio capability, digital music playback options with your portable player or PC, plus flexible multi-room possibilities. And like all Sony ES components, it's backed by a full 5-year warranty.
Top-notch build, long-lasting quality
Sony's engineers went the extra mile with the STR-DA1500ES's design and construction to maximize sound quality. Its high-current amplifier uses select, high-grade components to ensure that all the dynamics and details of your favorite recordings shine through. A solid aluminum front panel and rigid chassis resist warping and minimize any effects that external vibration might have on performance. You'll enjoy nothing but pure, high-quality stereo sound.
Versatile entertainment options
The STR-DA1500ES's Digital Media Port lets you play music stored on your iPod® or PC when you connect an optional Sony iPod dock or wireless PC music player. The receiver's integrated AM/FM tuner provides 60 presets for quick access to all your favorite stations. The satellite radio ready design makes it easy to add XM and SIRIUS radio programming to your system.
Enjoy music and video in another room
This Sony provides plenty of inputs for your audio/video gear. Dual-room/dual-source capability lets you and a housemate enjoy two different A/V or music sources simultaneously (TV, receiver, amplifier, or powered speakers required in second room). You also get a remote that gives you easy control of your receiver and the other Sony audio/video components in your system.
- 95 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD
- 3 audio (including phono) and 3 A/V (composite video) inputs
- 2-room/2-source capability (composite video and stereo preamp outputs for 2nd room)
- Digital Media Port for adding an optional Sony iPod® dock or wireless PC music player
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)
- SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit)
- 30 AM and 30 FM presets; 30 XM and 30 SIRIUS presets
- solid aluminum front panel for added strength
- embossed chassis base and top case design for improved structural rigidity and vibration resistance
- RS-232C port for automated control systems
- two sets of binding post speaker outputs
- full-size headphone jack
- remote control (operates other Sony A/V gear)
- detachable power cord
- 16-15/16" x 6-1/4" x 16-1/2"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # STRDA1500ES
What's in the box:
- AM/FM Stereo receiver
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAU056)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with slip-on coax connector
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Quick Setup Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Digital Media Port accessory information
- On-line product registration information
- US Limited Warranty (5 Yrs)
- Canada Limited Warranty (3 Yrs)
Sony ES STR-DA1500ES reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony ES STR-DA1500ES
Overview: The Sony STR-DA1500ES Two-Channel Stereo Receiver delivers clear stereo sound for everyday music fans and rooms where a complex home theater system is not needed. The Sony ES Stereo Receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner, along with support for XM and Satellite Radio (optional tuners required). The stereo receiver is equipped with 3 audio inputs, 3 audio/video inputs, a Zone 2 audio/video output, and a composite video monitor out. It also includes a proprietary Digital Media Port (DMP) input that allows you to extend your music selection from a compatible Apple iPod or PC (DMP adapters sold separately).
Stereo Amplifier: The Sony STR-DA1500ES Stereo Receiver features a 95 watt x 2-channel (8-ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, THD 0.09%) amplifier for good sound quality with little distortion even at high volumes.
A/B Speaker Switching: The STR-DA1500ES features A & B speaker outputs which allows 4 speaker connection so you can run a pair of speakers in two different rooms of your home. The stereo receiver allows you to select which pair of speakers you wish to play or play back both of them. The A & B speaker outputs are wired in parallel. The stereo amplifier supports 8 to 16-ohm speakers.
Tone Adjustment: The Sony STR-DA1500ES features independent Bass and Treble controls (-10 to +10 dB) so you can adjust the tonal quality of your connected speakers. You can also adjust the balance of the left and right speakers.
Built-In AM/FM Tuner: The STR-DA1500ES features a built-in AM/FM tuner for listening to AM and FM broadcast stations. You can preset up to 30 FM station and 30 AM stations. The built-in tuner also features Auto tuning and Direct tuning via the supplied remote control. The Sony STR-DA1500ES features a threaded coaxial FM connection and a dual spring-clip AM terminal. The unit comes supplied with an AM loop antenna and a FM wire antenna.
Station and Source Naming: Each preset station and audio/video input may be given an index name of up to 8 characters.
Zone 2: You can enjoy images and sounds from an AV component connected to the receiver in a Zone 2 location (other than the main zone). For example, you can watch a DVD movie in the main zone, while viewing a TV program in the second zone. Zone 2 contains a composite video output and a stereo audio RCA output. You will need a separate amplifier, speakers, and monitor in Zone 2. When using an IR repeater system (sold separately), you can operate both components in either zone from the included IR remote control.
Analog RCA Audio Output/Inputs: The STR-DA1500ES features the following analog audio RCA and composite video inputs and outputs.
- 2 Audio Inputs: labeled SA-CD/CD and Phono
- 1 Audio Input/Output: labeled MD/Tape
- 2 Audio/Video Inputs: labeled SAT and BD/DVD
- 1 AV Input/Output: labeled Video
- 1 Audio/Video Output: labeled Zone 2
- 1 Video Output: labeled Monitor
Speaker Outputs: This unit features two sets of speaker outputs (A and B), each with binding-post terminals. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire (up to 12 AWG), single or dual banana plugs, and pin-connectors. You can independently turn on or off each pair of speakers, as well as play both pair of speakers. The speaker pairs are wired internally in parallel.
Headphone Jack: The receiver features a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for private listening. When headphones are plugged into this output, the speakers are not muted. To mute the speakers, you must manually turn off both Speaker A and Speaker B outputs.
Sleep Timer: This unit may be set to automatically turn off after 2 hours, 1 hour and 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 30 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 4 steps: 0% dim, 40% dim, 70%, or 100% dim.
IR Remote Control: The supplied IR remote control (RM-AAU056) is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. You can change the factory settings of the input buttons on the remote to suit the components in your system. For example, if you connect a DVD recorder to the Video 1 input jacks, you can set the Video 1 buttons on the remote to control the DVD recorder.
RS232C Port: The stereo receiver can be configured in the menu to receive commands from 3rd party control systems (Crestron, AMX, etc.) via the RS232C port.
Control Jacks: Two sets of 3.5mm mini-jack connectors are supplied for the following control methods:
- Trigger Out: +12V trigger to turn external equipment on/off along with the receiver or with activation of zone 2
- IR Remote: one IR out and one IR in jack support an IR repeater system
Digital Media Port (DMP): Sony's proprietary Digital Media Port (DMP) allows you to integrate a wide variety of music into your home theater system. The Digital Media Port allows you to connect optional DMP accessories to play music from your compatible PC or iPod music player. You can connect the following adapters (sold separately).
- DMP iPod Dock (TDM-IP50): The Sony TDM-iP50 Digital Media Port adapter (158TDMIP50, sold separately) for iPod/iPhone lets you enjoy your iPod/iPhone's audio, video, and photo content through your entertainment system by connecting the TDM-iP50 to the Sony audio/video receiver's Digital Media Port interface. For added convenience, the dock also charges your compatible iPod's battery. You can operate your iPod/iPhone by its own click-wheel or touch-screen, the control buttons of the Sony receiver, or the IR wireless remote control supplied with the Sony receiver.
- DMP Media Port Wi-Fi client (TDM-NC1): The Sony TDM-NC1 Wireless Network Adapter (158TDMNC1, sold separately) Allows you to stream digital music from your PC to the DMP compatible BRAVIA audio receiver and view song information on your connected television or monitor. Requires PC with Microsoft Window XP SP2 operating system or newer.
Satellite Ready: The STR-DA1500ES features proprietary ports on the rear panel for XM and Sirius Satellite Radio connection. In addition to the following optional satellite tuners needed (sold separately), you will need a subscription to XM and/or Sirius Satellite radio:
- XM: The optional XM Direct 2 Home Tuner (220XHD2H1, sold separately) lets you enjoy XM Satellite Radio through the XM-ready receiver. Simply connect the XM Direct 2 Home Tuner to the XM jack on back of the receiver, place and aim the included antenna for optimum reception, and you are ready to start enjoying commercial-free music, plus live sports, new, talk, and exclusive entertainment. You can search XM stations by channel, category, or direct tuning; you can also choose to display the channel name, channel number, category, artist name, or song title.
- Sirius: The optional SiriusConnect Home Tuner kit (item number 607SCH1 or 220SCH2P, both sold separately) allows you to receive Sirius Satellite Radio through the receiver, you can search Sirius radio stations by channel number, category, or direct tuning; you can also choose to display the channel name, channel number, category, artist name, song title, or composer.
Note: You can store up to 30 XM channels and up to 30 Sirius channels as presets.