About the Sony KDL-32EX340
If you value picture quality over features and frills, Sony's no-nonsense KDL-32EX340 is definitely a contender in the 32" screen size. It has no Internet capability, and it doesn't do 3D, but it delivers a crisp, high-contrast 720p picture. Digital Noise Reduction video processing enhances detail in whatever you're watching. It even helps clean up video from USB and other PC sources.
This set has two HDMI inputs so you can hook up a couple of high-def sources like a Blu-ray player and a high-def cable or satellite TV receiver. A USB port makes it easy to share your photos on a big screen, or listen to your favorite tunes. You also get a PC input, which is no longer found on all TVs.
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
- 31.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen with black bezel and cabinet
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- LED edge backlight for enhanced picture contrast
- 60Hz refresh rate
- Digital Noise Reduction enhances picture detail in non-HD video including USB and other PC sources
- PC picture-in-picture
- built-in stereo speakers (6 watts x 2)
- remote control
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- meets Energy Star® requirements
- picture settings memory for each video input
Connections and Dimensions:
- 3 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 2 HDMI v1.3
- PC input
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output
- stereo minijack output for connecting a sound bar or home stereo system
- USB port for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 17-3/4"W x 8-1/2"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 29-3/4"W x 18-5/8"H x 3"D (20-1/8"H x 8-1/2"D on stand)
- weight: 17 lbs. with stand; 15.7 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor carry-in service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KDL32EX340
What's in the box:
- 32" LED-LCD TV
- Pedestal stand
- Wireless remote control (RM-YD080)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Three 5mm x 16mm machine screws (flat-/lock-washers installed)
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- Table-top stand assembly diagram (taped to TV)
- Limited Warranty Information
- "Attention" note (En/Fr/Sp)
- Safety/Regulatory Booklet (En/Fr/Sp)
- End User License Agreement
EnergyGuide:View EnergyGuide label
Sony KDL-32EX340 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony KDL-32EX340
Features & specs
Edge LED Backlight: The Sony Bravia KDL-EX340 series TV utilizes edge LED backlighting for dynamic contrast, smooth motion performance, and energy savings inside a slim designed cabinet. This technology sharpens image contrast giving an amazingly crisp picture you can see. The ultra-thin backlight system also allows for a slimmer, sleeker design.
Clear Resolution Enhancer: Fine details and textures appear in whatever you're watching, even in flat areas. Powered by Sony's advanced noise reduction algorithm, this technology boosts image clarity with heightened contrast and depth.
HDTV Tuner: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
720p Resolution: The Sony KDL-EX340 series television has a HD native resolution of 1366 x 768 (720p). All video signals from standard definition and high definition sources are displayed at 720p. The Sony KDL-EX340 series TV is equipped with HDMI, Component, and Composite video inputs.
- Dual HDMI Inputs: The KDL-EX340 series features two HDMI inputs. The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) terminals provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. The HDMI input will accept 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. The HDMI 1 input shares a 3.5mm audio jack with the television's PC input. With an HDMI-to-DVI cable, you can connect the TV to a DVI-equipped A/V component. When connecting to a DVI-equipped component, the 3.5mm audio input is used and separate minijack audio cable must be connected.
- Component Video Input: The component video input will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. If needed, the component video input can be used as a composite video input (480i) instead.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
Light Sensor Technology: The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger.
Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE): The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes. The ACE can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Wide Mode: The Wide Mode feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
|Wide Mode||16:9 Original Source||4:3 Original Source|
|Wide Zoom||Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion.||Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen.|
|Normal||Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3 (available for 480i or 480p sources).||Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen (available for 480i or 480p sources).|
|Full||Displays the picture at its original size.||Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen.|
|Zoom||Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally.||Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies).|
|Auto Wide|| |
Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Picture Mode: You can select one of the following picture modes:
- Vivid: Enhances picture contrast and sharpness.
- Standard: Displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments.
- Sports: Optimizes picture quality for viewing sports.
- Game: Used for gaming.
- Graphics: Optimizes picture quality for viewing graphics.
- Photo: For standard viewing of photographs.
- Custom: Allows you to store your preferred settings for Backlight, Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Color Temperature, Sharpness, Noise Reduction.
Note: The TV's picture adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs. You can also lock the television's picture adjustments to prevent the TV's Picture Settings from being changed.
Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following:
- LED Motion: Lights up the backlight adequately, reducing blur in movies, but the brightness decreases
- Black Corrector: Enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast. The Black Corrector can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- White Balance: Adjusts the color temperature color by color.
- Gamma: Adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture.
- Clear White: Emphasizes white and light colors. It can be set to High, Low, or Off.
- Live Color: Makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones. It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
MPEG Noise Reduction: This feature reduces the picture noise in MPEG-compressed videos. This is effective when viewing a DVD or digital broadcast. You can set the level of noise reduction to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
PIP & PAP: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers PIP (picture in picture) and PAP (picture and picture).
- PIP (Picture in Picture): Picture-in-Picture displays an image from a connected PC (via PC-input or HDMI) in full-screen and a TV program other external input in an inset window. You can swap audio between the main and sub window. You can also change the channel of the sub window. If you have your PC connected via HDMI, you cannot view another HDMI source in the inset window.
- PAP (Picture and Picture): This feature lets you watch two pictures simultaneously. You can view an image from a TV program and external input (except for PC) at the same time. One picture will be displayed as the main image, while to other is displayed in an sub window. You can flip-flop images and switch audio between the two images.
Sound Mode: You can customize the bass and treble or use one of the three preset sound modes:
- Dynamic: Enhances both treble and bass.
- Standard: Suitable for spoken dialogue.
- Clear Voice: Suitable for spoken dialogue.
- Custom: Allows you to customize sound settings (Bass, Treble, and Balance).
Steady Sound: Steady Sound equalizes volume levels so there is consistent output between programs and commercials.
Bass Booster: The Bass Booster feature produces a fuller sound for more impact, by emphasizing the bass sounds.
Volume Offset: Adjusts the volume level of the current input (TV or video input) relative to other inputs.
Audio Outputs: The Sony HDTV offers analog and digital audio outputs.
- Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog audio output is used to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (119MCON2M, sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable.
- Digital Audio Output: An optical digital output is provided to allow you to connect the unit to a surround processor. The TV's digital audio output terminal outputs a Dolby Digital or 2-channel down-mixed PCM signal for use with an external Dolby Digital decoder or other external audio system with an optical audio input. The TV's optical digital terminal will output audio from the television's antenna, HDMI, and RCA inputs. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner on the TV, or Dolby Digital surround sound from a Sony Bravia Internet app, via the television's network connection. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, RCA, or USB.
USB Port: The Sony LED-LCD TV features a USB (type-A) port for sharing your photos (JPEG) or videos (MPEG1/MPEG2), and listening to music (MP3) from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. You USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32.
- Photo Playback Auto Start: The TV automatically displays the thumbnail view screen when the TV is turned on and a digital still camera or other USB device storing photo files is connected to the TV's USB port.
- Picture Frame: Allows you to display a photograph on the screen for a selected period of time. After that period, the TV automatically switches itself into standby mode.
PC Compatible: A 15-pin HD15 jack allows you to connect your personal computer to the display. There is also a corresponding stereo mini-jack (3.5mm) for the computer's audio signal. The television can be used as a monitor for your PC through the TV's RGB HD-15 input or HDMI 1 input. The TV supports the following PC resolutions (VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA, SXGA and HDTV). When a PC is connected to the TV and the PC input is selected, the PC settings screen is available.
- Wide Mode: Select from Normal (original), Full 1 (enlarge picture keep original aspect ratio), or Full 2 (enlarge picture to fill display area).
- Sharpness: Phase (fine tunes overall sharpness), Pitch (adjusts uneven sharpness)
- Position: Horizontal Center (moves the position of picture left/right), Vertical Center (moves position of picture up/down)
- Auto Adjustment: Automatically adjusts the display position and phase of the picture when the TV receives an input signal from the connected PC.
Favorites: The Favorites function makes it easy to quickly access your favorite TV content. The Favorites menu manages your preferred TV channels, external inputs, media files, Internet content, and widgets for quick and easy access. The Favorites feature provides quick access to your frequently used items, such as preferred TV channels or external inputs. In addition, your favorite media files, Internet content. and Widgets can be shown in the Favorites screen.
Scene Mode: You can access the following scene modes from the remote control to optimize both picture and sound quality.
- Auto: Automatically optimizes picture and sound quality according to the input source.
- General: No optimized picture or sound according to the input source.
- Cinema: Delivers picture scenes and sound just like those in a theater.
- Sports: Presents realistic pictures and sound just like those in a stadium.
- Photo: Reproduces the texture and color of a printed photo.
- Music: Lets you experience dynamic and clear sound just like a concert.
- Game: Broadens your game-playing experience with superb picture and sound quality.
- Graphics: Eases prolonged monitor viewing with clearer detailed pictures.
Input/Channel Label: You can assign an icon or name to an external input and connected equipment, as well as edit channel labels to your preference.
Close Captions (CC): The Sony televisions provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size.
ENERGY STAR Certified: This Sony LED-LCD TV exceeds ENERGY STAR requirements by incorporating advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers On and Sleep timers.
- TV Timer: The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference.
- Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password.
Input/Channel Block: This feature allows you to block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
Wireless Remote Control: The TV comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the television. The remote is designed for TV operation only, unless used with Bravia Sync AV components connected by HDMI.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player:
- Automatically turns the "Bravia" Sync-compatible equipment on and switches the input to that equipment when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu.
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected equipment when the equipment starts to play.
- Automatically turns the connected equipment off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- AV Amplifier:
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on. This function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound.
- Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera:
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
Tabletop Stand: The Sony television comes supplied with a tabletop pedestal stand which must be attached using the supplied hardware. The television weighs 17.0 lbs with the stand attached. The tabletop stand allows the television to swivel 15° left or right.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The stand can be removed, allowing you to wall-mount the TV using an optional wall-mount bracket. The TV has 4 threaded screw holes with a horizontal spacing of 200mm and a vertical spacing of 100mm. The screw holes all accept M4 (4mm) screws. The TV weighs 15.7 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The television if fitted with an attached 5' AC power cord which is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug. The AC plug sits 1.75" from the wall.