About the Sony KDL-32L504
The KDL-32L504 doesn't cost a lot, but you sure do get a lot including the quality and long-term dependability that Sony is known for. Just connect an antenna and start enjoying your favorite primetime network shows in crystal-clear high definition. Plus, a built-in cable TV tuner lets cable subscribers watch unscrambled channels without a set-top box including HD channels in many areas.
Some 32" TVs skimp on connections, but the KDL-32L504 has a total of five HD-capable inputs. You get three HDMI connections for high-def sources like a Blu-ray player, high-def satellite box, and an HD video game console. You can use the component video inputs to connect two more high-def sources. There's also a standard PC input so you can put this set to work as a computer monitor. The PC picture-in-picture feature lets you work or surf the web in the main window, while your antenna or cable TV signal is displayed in the sub window.
- 31.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- semi-gloss black finish
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 1366 x 768 pixels
- 3000:1 contrast ratio (8000:1 dynamic)
- Dynamic Backlight Control for better contrast and black levels
- PC picture-in-picture
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- remote control
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- Energy Star® 3.0 compliant see our article on TV power consumption for more info about this and other testing standards
- picture settings memory for each video input
Connections and Dimensions:
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 composite video (side)
- 1 S-video (side)
- 2 component video (one is selectable component/composite)
- 3 HDMI (2 rear, 1 side) accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 16-3/4"W x 8-3/4"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 31-3/4"W x 20"H x 3-5/8"D (22"H x 8-3/4"D on stand)
- weight: 28 lbs. with stand; 25.3 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KDL32L504
What's in the box:
- 32" Widescreen LCD TV
- Pedestal stand
- Wireless remote control (RM-YD028)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Four 5mm x 16mm machine screws with a flat washer and lock washer installed on each screw
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- "Attaching the Table-Top Stand" sheet
- Attaching stand diagram
- Warranty sheet
- "End User License Agreement" sheet
- Safety and Regulatory Booklet
Sony KDL-32L504 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony KDL-32L504
Features & specs
NTSC/ATSC/QAM Tuners: The TV is equipped with an analog NTSC tuner, a digital ATSC/8VSB tuner, and a digital QAM tuner for receiving unscrambled digital cable channels. It is not CableCARD compatible. You do not need to connect an external HDTV set-top box in order to receive High-Definition programming.
Native Resolution: The KDL-32L504 has a full HD native resolution of 1366 x 768 with over 1 million pixels. The TV's three HDMI inputs can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24p signals, and the two component video inputs can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p signals. All video signals from standard definition and high definition are upconverted to 720p.
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: The Sony LCD televisions offers a 3,000:1 on-screen contrast ratio and an 8,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
Screen Modes: You can choose from the following Screen Modes:
- 4:3 Default:
- Wide Zoom: Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen
- Normal: Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen (available for 480i or 480p sources)
- Full: Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen
- Zoom: Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies)
- 16:9 Wide Mode:
- Wide Zoom: Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion
- Normal: Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3
- Full: Displays the picture at its original size
- Zoom: Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally
- Auto Wide: Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Screen Settings: The Sony LCD TV offers the following screen adjustments.
- Display Area: You can display the recommended picture area or enlarge the picture to hide the edge of the picture.
- Horizontal Center: Allows you to move the position of the picture left and right.
- Vertical Center: Allows you to move the position of the picture up and down.
Picture Mode: You can select one of the following picture modes:
- Vivid: Enhances picture contrast and sharpness.
- Standard: Displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments.
- Cinema: Used to view film-base content; suitable for viewing in a theater-like environment.
- Custom: Allows you to store your preferred settings for Backlight, Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Color Temperature, Sharpness, Noise Reduction.
Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following:
- Black Corrector: Enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast. Select from High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- White Balance: Adjust the color temperature in detail
CineMotion 3/2 Pulldown Processing: This function optimizes the display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3-2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
PC Compatible with PIP: The television can be used as a monitor for your PC through the TV's RGB HD-15 input or HDMI input. The TV supports the following PC resolutions - VGA (640 x 480), SVGA (800 x 600), XGA (1024 x 768), and WXGA (1280 x 768 or 1360 x 768). You can adjust Phase, Vertical Position and Wide Mode of the picture.You can watch TV while working on your PC, using the television's PIP feature.
Favorite Menu: The Favorites Menu function makes it easy to quickly access your favorite channels and video inputs (up to 10).
Input/Channel Label: This feature allows you to assign labels to the television's inputs and your favorite channels. You can create station call letters (up to nine characters) to the channel numbers. You can assign the following labels for each input (except PC and Cable/Antenna inputs): DVD, VCR, Blu-ray, Cable Box, Satellite, DVR, Game, Camcorder. Or you can also select a custom nine character label for each of these inputs.
Input/Channel Block: This feature allows you to block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
Caption Vision/Info Banner: This feature allows Closed Caption and/or channel programming information to be displayed on the TV screen. You can choose from CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4, Text1, Text2, Text3 and Text4. Digital Channel's Closed Caption text can be customized.
Sound Modes: You can customize the bass and treble or use one of the two preset sound modes:
- Dynamic: Enhances both treble and bass.
- Standard: Suitable for spoken dialogue.
- Clear Voice: Suitable for spoken dialogue.
- Custom: Allows you to customize sound settings (Bass, Treble and Balance).
Energy Star Compliant: Energy Star is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy promoting energy efficiency. By being Energy Star compliant you are assured that this Sony television is helping the environment by using less energy while saving you money. Energy Star qualified TVs use about 30% less energy than standard units. Energy Star Rating for this TV: Power On (97.12 watts), Standby (0.16 watts).
Energy Saver: The television offers the following energy saving features.
- Power Saving: Select from High, Low, Off, or Picture Off to adjust the television's power consumption.
- Idle TV Standby: Select to automatically power off the TV after 1, 2, or 3 hours when know buttons are pressed on the remote control or the television.
- PC Power Management: This feature automatically places the television in Standby mode when there is not signal input for more than 30 seconds.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password.
Wireless Remote Control: The TV comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-YD028). The remote is designed for TV operation only, unless used with Bravia Sync AV components connected by HDMI.
BRAVIA Sync: This TV is equipped with BRAVIA Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Once the supported equipment is connected, the following operations are available:
- TV Auto Power On: Control your TV's power from your connected equipment.
- Device Auto Power Off: Have your connected equipment power off automatically when the TV is turned off.
- Device List: Displays a list of equipment with HDMI control function connected to the television.
Tabletop Stand: The display comes supplied with a tabletop pedestal stand which must be attached using the supplied hardware. The television weighs 28.0 lbs with the stand attached.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The stand can be removed, allowing you to wall-mount the TV using an optional wall-mount bracket. The TV has 4 threaded screw holes with a horizontal spacing of 7-7/8" (200mm) and a vertical spacing of 7-7/8" (200mm). The screw holes all accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 25.3 lbs without the stand.
HDMI: The KDL-32L504 features three HDMI inputs (2 Rear/1 Side). The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) terminals provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. The HDMI input will accept 1080/24p, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. The rear HDMI 1 input also has left and right RCA audio jacks. With an HDMI-to-DVI cable, you can connect the TV to a DVI-equipped A/V component. When connecting to a DVI-equipped component, the RCA audio inputs are used and separate RCA audio cable must be connected.
Component Video Inputs: The two rear-panel component video inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. If needed, component video 1 can be used as a composite video input instead.
PC Input (RGB): A side-panel 15-pin HD15 jack allows you to connect your personal computer to the display. There is also a corresponding stereo mini-jack (3.5mm) for the computer's audio signal.
Analog Audio Outputs (Fixed): These stereo RCA audio jacks on the rear-panel of the television allow you to listen to the TV's audio through your stereo system.
Digital Audio Output: The rear-panel Optical digital output connects to the optical digital input of your digital audio equipment which is PCM/Dolby Digital compatible. Dolby Digital Audio signal from the HDMI input will be output as PCM.