About the Sony KV-40XBR700
Sony's amazing 40" Wega XBR is the largest direct-view TV you can buy and definitely one of the finest. Its screen is 56% bigger than a 32"! More than any other TV we've seen, the KV-40XBR700 delivers big-screen impact and direct-view clarity. There's no need to dim the lights or close the drapes, which is often necessary for optimum viewing with projection TVs. This Sony's big, bright picture overpowers the effects of room lights or daylight afternoon ballgames are as striking as movies at night. (Sony's elegant, sturdy matching stand raises the hefty KV-40XBR700 to the perfect viewing height.)
On an ordinary TV screen of this size, you might notice the presence of horizontal scan lines. But this extraordinary 40-incher includes Sony's Digital Reality Creation MultiFunction upconversion technology to give regular NTSC video sources (like DVD, VCR, DBS, cable TV, etc.) a smoother, more dimensional look. Video material that was originally shot on film (nearly all DVDs, and most cable, satellite, and over-the-air programs) is further enhanced by Sony's CineMotion 3-2 pulldown processing. With CineMotion, interlaced-scan images are converted to progressive-scan more cleanly and accurately.
Sony's HDTV-ready Hi-Scan design means you can watch beautifully clear 1080i HDTV broadcasts when you connect a separate HDTV tuner. Plus, the KV-40XBR700 is equipped with two wide-bandwidth Hi-Scan component video inputs, so you can connect and enjoy maximum performance from another video source, such as a progressive-scan or standard DVD player.
- Hi-Scan HDTV monitor (compatible with HDTV/SDTV formats when connected to a separate HDTV tuner and displays them at 1080i or 480p; also accepts 480p output from a compatible DVD player)
- Digital Reality Creation MultiFunction (upconverts NTSC sources to 960i or 480p)
- CineMotion 3-2 pulldown processing
- 4:3 screen aspect ratio
- auto/manual 16:9 Enhanced viewing mode for HDTV and anamorphic DVDs
- 10-bit 3D digital comb filter
- Twin View Picture and Picture with Multi-Image Driver X
- Velocity Modulation Scanning (selectable)
- MTS stereo reception
- 181-channel tuner
- illuminated Flip/joystick multibrand remote
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 3 S-video (2 rear, 1 front)
- 2 rear-panel wide-bandwidth component video
(compatible with 1080i/480p/480i signals)
- 2 RF inputs for antenna/cable
- 7.5 watts x 2, plus 15 watts for built-in subwoofer
- 43"W x 33"H x 26-1/2"D
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor, 2 years parts on the tube
FREE In-home delivery! Because of its large size, the KV-40XBR700 will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Delivery is available to physical addresses in the lower 48 states. (Sorry, no P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders.) Transit time is 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply for delivery after business hours or on a weekend, or if the TV must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs.
Note: Free return shipping not available with this model.
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony KV-40XBR700
Features & specs
|Picture in Picture||2 Tuner|
|Audio Output Power||7.5 +15 subwoo|
|Parts Warranty||1 YR/CRT 2|
|Labor Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Type of Warranty Service||---|
|Footprint Width (inches)||---|
|Footprint Depth (inches)||---|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Rear Composite Video Inputs||3|
|Rear Component Video Inputs||2|
Flat Screen: Sony's flat glass panel delivers images that are virtually distortion free and helps to eliminate screen glare.
Cinemotion: This function provides an optimized display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3/2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
Hi-Scan 1080i Display (DTV Receiver Compatible): Two component video inputs allow you to connect an optional DTV receiver or a source with component video outputs (either standard NTSC or 480p, such as DVD players). This television is capable of receiving 1080i and 480p digital TV formats. A 1080i signal is displayed as 1080i, a 480p signal is displayed as 480p, and a 480i signal can be displayed as 480p or 960i (using Digital Reality Creation). Note: This unit is not capable of receiving or displaying a 720p format signal.
16:9 Enhanced Mode (V-Compression): This set uses a special technique that gives you maximum picture quality when using anamorphic sources, such as some DVDs. When using an anamorphic source, the height of each scanning line is compressed for 33% better resolution, giving you the benefit of all 480 scanning lines.
DRC (Digital Reality Creation): Digital Reality Creation allows you to enjoy a very high-resolution picture from any standard NTSC image by using digital processing to turn all NTSC images to 960i resolution, which is approximately 4 times the resolution of a standard NTSC image. This helps to give you a finer, more detailed picture and decrease the visibility of scanning lines by doubling the number of scanning lines and pixels per line. You can select Interlaced mode, which is recommended for moving pictures, or Progressive mode, which is recommended for still images and text.
3D Digital Comb Filter: Sony's new comb filter analyzes picture information horizontally, vertically and over time. You will get high resolution under most picture conditions. New 10-bit signal processing renders superb gray-scale gradation, resulting in superior picture detail.
Velocity Modulation Scanning: This system varies the electron beam speed to render high-contrast picture edges more effectively. You can select High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Dynamic Focus Circuitry: This system adjusts the picture during each scanning line for consistent corner-to-corner sharpness.
Multi-Image Driver: The Multi-Image Driver circuit gives you the following functions:
- Two tuner Picture-in-Picture
- Twin View: Allows you to watch two channels simultaneously, both in a reduced screen size. You can change the size of both pictures as desired, zoom in on either of the two pictures, and alternate sound between the two pictures. Note: You can display an HD source in the left Twin View frame, while displaying a standard NTSC source in the right Twin View frame. An HD source cannot be displayed in the right Twin View frame.
- Favorite Preview: This feature lets you preview programming on up to eight favorite channels in the PIP inset, while your current program continues as the main picture.
Video Mode: You can select Vivid, Standard, Movie, or Pro. The Vivid setting enhances picture contrast and sharpness. The Standard setting displays a standard picture for normal viewing environments. The Movie setting displays a finely detailed picture for low light environments. The Pro setting displays a picture with minimum enhancements.
Dynamic Acoustic Chamber Speaker System (DAC): This system has a loudspeaker enclosure that uses the shape of the television for clear, high-output bass.
Steady Sound: This feature stabilizes the volume level, preventing unwanted blasts of sound during commercials.
Sound Effects: To enhance the sound, you can select TruSurround, which adds a three-dimensional sound to stereo programs, or Simulated, which adds a surround-like effect to mono-channel programs. The sound effects can be turned off.
BBE Audio Enhancement: This feature restores audio phase to improve sound quality.
Freeze Function: This function allows you to temporarily capture a program's picture. The TV switches to Twin View mode and displays the "frozen" picture on the right, while the current program continues on the left. This function only works in normal view mode; if you are in Twin View mode already, it will not work.
V-Chip Parental Control: This allows you to limit the shows that can be viewed based on the television rating system. This system uses a user selected 4-digit password to block programs from children based on TV Ratings and contents; Movie Ratings and Unrated programs. Note that the unit has three pre-selected categories (Child, Youth, and Young Adult), or you can select the exact restrictions you want by using a Custom setting. After setting Parental Control "On", you must enter the password to view blocked programs. Note that if you forget the password you can enter the master password found in the owner's manual, which allows you to create a new password.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, or 90 minutes.
Timers: This unit has two timers that can be set by day, time, duration, and channel.
Weight: This television weighs 304 pounds.
RM-Y184 Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including VCRs, Laserdisc players, DVD players, cable boxes, and satellite receivers. Several controls are located under a lid that covers the top half of the remote. A joystick allows you to move the on-screen selector, making menu navigation simple and efficient. The jump, enter, volume, channel, and numeric keypad buttons glow in the dark (blue).
Front Panel Inputs (under lid):
- Video 2 Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
Rear Panel Inputs and Outputs:
- Video 1 Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Video 3 Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Video 4 Input: Stereo RCA jacks and RCA composite video jack
- Video 5 HD/DVD Input: Stereo RCA jacks and component video jacks (Y/Pb/Pr); component video jacks accept 1080i, 480p, and 480i input signals
- Video 6 HD/DVD Input: Stereo RCA jacks and component video jacks (Y/Pb/Pr); component video jacks accept 1080i, 480p, and 480i input signals
- Monitor Out: Stereo RCA jacks and RCA composite video jack
- Audio Output: Stereo RCA jacks that can be set to fixed or variable
- Aux Coax Input: Female RF coax input
- VHF/UHF Coax Input: Female RF coax input
- To Converter Coax Output: Female RF coax output
- Control S: Mono mini-jack input and output
Warranty Note: The picture tube has a 2 year parts warranty.