About the Sony KDL-40Z4100
The KDL-40Z4100 is part of Sony's "Z-Series" line of TVs, offering picture quality approaching that of more expensive XBR models, but with a sleek, space-efficient design. Both the panel depth and the bezel surrounding the screen are thinner than the norm for LCDs the '40Z4100 will fit where many other 40-inchers won't. This TV has 1080p screen resolution, plus advanced technologies that complement that clarity with exceptional motion and color reproduction.
Sony's Motionflow technology delivers smear-free motion
Every TV maker approaches 120Hz processing differently, but Sony's Motionflow technology is one of the most sophisticated and effective solutions. It doubles the video frame rate by inserting 60 entirely new frames between the original 60 frames. The system analyzes the motion of specific on-screen objects as well as overall movement in each scene, adjusting the amount of enhancement to deliver seamlessly smooth, sharp pictures.
10-bit LCD panel and video processing for more accurate colors
Two key factors determining LCD picture quality are the LCD panel and the video processing circuitry. The KDL-40Z4100 uses an LCD screen with 10-bit resolution. A 10-bit panel can display 1024 levels of gradation for each primary color red, green, and blue compared to only 256 steps for conventional 8-bit panels. That expands the color palette from millions of shades to over a billion. And 10-bit video processing fully utilizes the panel's exceptional color resolution to show even the subtlest shadings.
Versatile inputs keep you ready for the latest HD sources
The KDL-40Z4100's "jack pack" includes four advanced HDMI connections that will ensure maximum picture quality as high-def formats evolve. Sony calls them 24p True Cinema capable, which means they can accept the 1080p/24 output from a Blu-ray player. Most movies are originally shot at 24p (24 frames per second), so this feature lets you see video in its most flawless form. One HDMI input is placed on the side of the TV so it's easier to hook up an HD camcorder or video game console.
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
FREE scheduled delivery to your door: This item will be delivered to the door of your house or apartment. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses.
- 40" screen (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- high-gloss black finish
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 1920 x 1080 pixels
- Motionflow 120Hz anti-blur technology for clearer motion
- 8-millisecond pixel response time
- 3000:1 contrast ratio (30,000:1 dynamic)
- 10-bit display panel & video processing for over a billion possible colors
- BRAVIA Engine 2 digital video processing
- Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) dynamic backlighting for better contrast and black levels
- wide-range fluorescent backlight for extended color range
- Deep Color and x.v.Color support
- 1-tuner picture-in-picture
- TV Guide On Screen® program guide
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- illuminated multibrand remote control
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies remote operation for compatible Sony components (HDMI-CEC)
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 9 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 side)
- 1 S-video
- 2 component video (accepts signals up to 1080p)
- 4 HDMI v1.3 (3 rear, 1 side) accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- Ethernet port for receiving software updates and streaming content from a DLNA-enabled networked computer
- side USB port for digital photo/MP3 playback with Sony cameras and flash memory drives
- DMex port for expanding the TV's capabilities by connecting optional BRAVIA Link add-on modules
- Energy Star® 3.0 compliant see our article on TV power consumption for more info about this and other testing standards
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 16-1/8"W x 11"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 37-1/4"W x 23-7/8"H x 3-3/8"D (25-7/8"H x 11"D on stand)
- weight: 48 lbs. with stand; 40 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KDL40Z4100/B
What's in the box:
- 40" Widescreen LCD TV
- Pedestal stand
- Wireless remote control (RM-YD024)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 6.5 AC cord
- 4 Machine screws with a flat washer and lock washer installed on each screw
- Cover plate for pedestal stand
- Product Registration CD
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- "Attaching the Table-Top Stand" sheet
- "Installing the Wall-Mount Bracket" sheet
- Warranty sheet
- "Notices and Licenses For Software Used In This Television" sheet
- Online product registration sheet
- "End User License Agreement" sheet
- Safety and Regulatory Booklet
- Digital Broadcast Reception Notice
More details on the Sony KDL-40Z4100
Features & specs
NTSC/ATSC/QAM Tuners: The TV is equipped with an analog NTSC tuner, a digital ATSC/8VSB tuner, and a digital QAM tuner for receiving unscrambled digital cable channels. It is not CableCARD compatible. You do not need to connect an external HDTV set-top box in order to receive High-Definition programming.
Native Resolution: The KDL-40Z4100 has a full HD native resolution of 1920 x 1080 with over 2 million pixels (more than twice the pixels of 720p HDTV). The TV's four HDMI inputs can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24p signals, and the two component video inputs can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p signals. All video signals from standard definition and high definition are upconverted to 1080p.
10-Bit Processor And Panel: Sony combines 10-bit processing with a 10-bit panel, allowing 64 times the levels of color expression. What that translates to is smoother transitions from color to color and subtle color changes faithfully reproduced without a paint-by-numbers look.
Bravia Engine Technology: The latest version of Sony's respected Bravia Engine fully digital video processor uses a collection of unique Sony algorithms to significantly reduce noise and produce sharp, vibrant, life-like images. Bravia Engine technology optimizes the color, contrast, detail and clarity of every scene for the exceptional performance. The television offers the following Bravia Engine features.
- Dynamic Noise Reduction: Intelligently identifies and dramatically reduces noise in the signal according to the motion and brightness of each scene for clearer, crisper images.
- Detail Enhancement: Improved image enhancement algorithms render greater overall detail.
- Contrast Enhancement: Works with the Advanced Contrast Enhancer circuit to optimize the contrast for every scene to create better depth and reality.
Motionflow 120Hz Technology: Motionflow 120Hz technology doubles the number of existing frames by calculating in real time and inserting 60 entirely new frames between the original 60 frames. It uses a special Sony-developed algorithm that detects specific objects, as well as the movement of the overall scene and intelligently applies the right amount of enhancement. Unlike some other high frame rate technologies, Motionflow 120 also includes Sony's unique Image Blur Reduction algorithm, which reduces blur from the original source image captured by a camera before applying motion enhancement technology. Motionflow 120Hz technology uses special Sony algorithms designed to intelligently detect and apply the right amount of enhancement to reduce jitter and deliver a smoother, sharper picture with more natural motion of the original film.
Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE): Part of the cinematic drama in film-making comes from details found in shadows and dark areas of the picture. Sony's Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) uses real-time image processing to dynamically adjust backlight levels for improved contrast without masking details the filmmaker intended you to see. ACE delivers deep blacks in darker scenes, as well as fine details in shadows and other dark areas of the picture for a difference you can truly see. Sony's Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) builds on the TV's excellent on-contrast ratio performance of 3,000:1. A Dynamic Contrast Ratio of up to 30,000:1 is achieved by using real-time image processing to adjust the contrast along with optimizing backlight levels.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
DMex (Digital Module Extender) Ready: Sony's Digital Media Extender (DMex) ready televisions offer a digital connection path for the addition of optional Sony modules like the new BRAVIA Internet Video Link (DMX-NV1, sold separately). With innovative DMex expansion capabilities featuring the Emmy award winning XMB user interface, the KDL-40Z4100 is not merely a TV, but a powerful entertainment platform that not only meets your needs today, but expands easily to meet tomorrow's needs as well.
Digital Media Port: Sony's Digital Media Port connection allows the use of an optional Digital Media Port adapter such as the TDM-NW1 to connect digital devices directly to select Bravia HDTVs. By using these optional Sony adapter, the television can show photos and videos or play the music stored in select Sony Walkman, iPOD, PC, mobile phones and other digital devices. Your personal digital device even recharges while connected via the optional adapters.
USB Port: The TV offers easy access to JPEG photos and MP3 music files stored on a Sony digital camera connected via USB interface or Sony Micro Vault USB flash drives through its side-panel High Speed USB type-A port. Photos can be viewed as a Slideshow with or without music or in an Thumbnail view with up to 60 images at one time. Photos can also be rotated 180-degrees. Music files can be played repeatedly or in a random order. You can also view factory preset visual effects during MP3 audio playback.
Note: Sony does not guarantee or assure the USB functionality on this TV in the following cases - Use of non-Sony brand USB equipment, Use of video or audio clips process on a computer, Use of files obtained from the Internet or from a printed film processing center.
DLNA Capability: DLNA stands for the Digital Living Network Alliance, an Industry Standard Networking Capability supported by leading companies in the consumer electronics industry that allows DLNA compliant products to work with one another. This TV is a DLNA Certified digital media photo player that can display JPEG photo content from your DLNA Certified networked computer. Using the television's rear-panel Ethernet port, a DLNA-enabled PC can be accessed from the comfort of your living room or family room via the KDL-40Z4100, where you can enjoy photos stored on your PC with friends and family, without having to view them on your computer.
BRAVIA Sync: This TV is equipped with BRAVIA Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Once the supported equipment is connected, the following operations are available:
- Turn off the equipment automatically when you turn off the TV
- When the connected equipment is turned on by One-Touch-Play, the TV will automatically turn on and select the respective HDMI input
- Automatically turn on equipment listed under the External Inputs on the XMB when selected
- Camcorder transport control
- When a Sony A/V receiver
with BRAVIA Sync is connected the following
additional operations are possible:
- Turning on the A/V receiver when the TV is turned on
- Automatically switching the A/V receiver's input to the TV
- Adjust the volume and muting of the A/V receiver with the TV's remote control
PC Compatible: The television can be used as a monitor for your PC through the TV's RGB HD-15 input or HDMI input. The TV supports the following PC resolutions - VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA, SXGA and HDTV. You can adjust Phase, Pitch, Horizontal and Vertical Position and Wide Mode of picture.
TV Guide: You can use the Sony LCD TV's on-screen TV Guide to find the show that you want to watch. The TV Guide allows you to search for shows by program categories and by keyword. The TV Guide provides up to two days of TV programming information. The TV Guide is available with cable service (without a cable box) or over-the-air antenna.
P&P Feature: The TV comes features P&P (picture and picture) to allow you to view two pictures simultaneously. P&P provides two windows side by side with A/V inputs and TV channels. The main window can be from the Video, Component, HDMI, DMPORT, or PC inputs while the sub window comes from a TV channel from the VHF/UHF/Cable input.
Xross Media Bar (XMB) Interface: Sony's award-winning Xross Media Bar provides a logical and fast way to access set up menus, user controls, and more. The on-screen display comes to life by pushing the XMB menu button on the remote. Navigation through the menus is smooth and fast.
Picture Mode: You can select one of the following picture modes:
- For Video:
- Vivid: enhances picture contrast and sharpness
- Standard: displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments
- Cinema: used to view film-base content; suitable for viewing in a theater-like environment
- Custom: allows you to store your preferred settings for Backlight, Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Color Temperature, Sharpness, Noise and MPEG Noise Reduction
- For Photo:
- Vivid: enhances picture contrast and sharpness
- Standard: displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments
- Original: images resemble the printed pictures from your photo album
- Custom: allows you to store your preferred settings for Backlight, Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Color Temperature, and Sharpness
- For PC:
- Video: enhances the video shown on the screen
- Text: enhances the text shown on the screen
Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following:
- Black Corrector: enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast
- Advanced Contrast Enhancer: automatically optimizes the backlight and contrast
- Gamma: adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture
- Clear White: emphasizes white and light colors
- Color Space: selects the range of color reproduction from Wide or Standard
- Live Color: makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones
- White Balance: adjust the color temperature color by color
Light Sensor: In the menu, you can activate the automatic picture brightness control. A light sensor measures the amount of ambient light in the room and adjusts the picture brightness level accordingly.
Screen Modes: You can choose from the following Screen Modes:
- 4:3 Default:
- Wide Zoom: Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen
- Normal: Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen
- Full: Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen
- Zoom: Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies)
- 16:9 Wide Mode:
- Wide Zoom: Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion
- Normal: Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3
- Full: Displays the picture at its original size
- H Stretch: enlarges the picture horizontally to fill the screen when the original source is 16:9; it is also useful for HD channels with 4:3 content
- Zoom: Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally
- Auto Wide: Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Screen Settings: The Sony LCD TV offers the following screen adjustments.
- Screen Position: you can adjust both the vertical and horizontal positioning of the picture on the screen
- Vertical Size: adjust the vertical size of a standard-definition picture
- Display Area:
- Full Pixel: displays the picture for 1080, 1080p or 1080/24p sources in its original size
- Normal: displays the picture in its original size
- -1/-2: enlarges the picture to hide the edges of the picture
CineMotion 3/2 Pulldown Processing: This function optimizes the display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3-2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
Game Mode: This mode optimizes the enjoyment of fast paced video games where response time is important.
Video/Photo Optimizer: This features sets the television's picture settings to optimize the image quality of video (moving pictures) or photo (still image) content. This feature is only available for 1080i/p (excluding 1080/24p) content connected to the component or HDMI input.
Favorites: Using this feature, you can manage your preferred TV channels, External Inputs, Photo content, Music content and Background TV themes for easy access.
Background TV: Background TV displays images of current video on your TV that are similar to a screen saver. Background TV is available from the Cable/Antenna, Composite and DMPORT inputs.
Freeze Function: Press this button once to display a frozen image of the current program in a window on the screen. Press again to show only frozen image on the TV screen. Press again to return to the program.
Jump Function: This feature allows you to jump back and forth between two channels. The TV alternates between the current channel and the last channel that was selected.
Label Channels: This feature allows you to assign labels such as station call letter to the channel numbers. You can use up to seven characters.
Input Label: Each of the television's inputs (except PC/DMPORT) can be labeled with names (DVD, Cable Box, Satellite, BD, VCR, Receiver, DVR, Game, Camcorder or PC) instead of video 1, video 2, video 3, etc.
Caption Vision/Info Banner: This feature allows Closed Caption and/or channel programming information to be displayed on the TV screen. You can choose from CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4, Text1, Text2, Text3 and Text4. Digital Channel's Closed Captions can be customized. You can select Text-type, Character-size, Character-style, Character-color, Character-opacity, Edge-type, Edge-color, Background-color and Background-opacity.
Sound Settings: The Sound Settings menu allow you to make the following adjustments:
- Sound Mode: You can customize the
bass and treble or use one of the two preset sound modes:
- Dynamic: enhances both treble and bass
- Standard: suitable for spoken dialogue
- Clear Voice: suitable for spoken dialogue
- Treble, Bass, Balance: You can individually set the treble, bass, and balance settings as desired.
- S-FORCE Front Surround: S-FORCE front surrounds provides a virtual surround experience made possible using just two front speakers. When turned off, the normal stereo or mono reception resumes.
- Sound Booster: Sound Booster provides a fuller sound with greater depth and width by emphasizing the high and low frequency sounds. You can select High or Low for the amount of boost you desire.
- Voice Zoom: Adjusts the clarity of human voices by emphasizing or softening vocals.
- Steady Sound: Steady Sound equalizes volume levels so there is consistent output between programs and commercials.
- Volume Offset: Adjusts the volume level of the current input (TV or video input) relative to other inputs.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Y. Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password.
Channel Block: This feature allows you to block channels regardless of program ratings.
Timers: There is one event timer and a sleep timer built in. The event timer is set for the day, time, channel, duration and volume. The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. This also enhances the black level of the television. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
PC Power Management: This feature automatically places the television in Standby mode when there is not signal input for more than 30 seconds.
Illuminated Wireless Remote Control: The TV comes supplied with an illuminated IR wireless remote control (RM-YD024). The remote control can be programmed to operate other equipment and is pre-programmed to operate the following Sony Equipment: DVD Player, A/V Receiver, and Digital Satellite Box.
Tabletop Stand: The display comes supplied with a tabletop pedestal stand which must be attached using the supplied hardware. The tabletop pedestal stand features a separate cover plate which snaps into place to hide mounting screws. The television weighs 48 lbs with the stand attached.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The stand can be removed, allowing you to wall-mount the TV using an optional wall-mount bracket. The TV has 4 threaded screw holes with a horizontal spacing of 11-3/4" (300mm) and a vertical spacing of 11-3.4" (300mm). The screw holes all accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 40 lbs without the stand.
HDMI: The KDL-40Z4100 features four HDMI inputs (3 Rear/1 Side). The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) terminals provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. One HDMI input also has left and right RCA audio jacks. With an HDMI-to-DVI cable, you can connect the TV to a DVI-equipped A/V component. When connecting to a DVI-equipped component, the RCA audio inputs are used and separate RCA audio cable must be connected.
Note: The HDMI input will accept 1080/24p, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
Component Video Inputs: The two component video inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
PC Input (RGB): A 15-pin HD15 jack allows you to connect your personal computer to the display. There is also a corresponding stereo mini-jack (3.5mm) for the computer's audio signal.
Analog Audio Outputs: These stereo RCA audio jacks allow you to listen to the TV's audio through your stereo system. In the menu you can set the output to Fixed (volume controlled by the receiver/amplifier) or Variable (volume controlled by the TV's remote control) operation.
Note: You must turn the TV speakers off in the menu in order for the audio outs to function.
Digital Audio Output: Optical digital output that connect to the optical digital input of your digital audio equipment that is PCM/Dolby Digital compatible. Dolby Digital Audio signal from the HDMI input will be output as PCM.
DMPort: This proprietary port connect to device via a Digital Media Port interface and displays photos or plays videos and music directly onto the TV.
LAN Port: RJ-45 Ethernet port connects to local area network using an optional Ethernet cable. You can use this connection to connect to a network and receive software updates from the Internet.
DMex/Service Port: This rear-panel USB port is for service use only unless you are connecting the optional Bravia DMex external module.
Side Panel AV Inputs: For convenience, there is an A/V input on the left side panel of the TV. Included are stereo RCA inputs and a composite video input, as well as an HDMI input.
Side Panel USB Port: High Speed USB type-A port to connect Sony USB equipment to access photo files and music files.