About the Sony XBR-55X850B
4K Ultra HD TV: Not standing still
4K Ultra HD TV: Not standing still
Sony's first-generation 4K TVs wowed skeptics and demonstrated how riveting this hyper-detailed viewing experience could be. The 55" XBR-55X850B is part of their latest generation of 4K sets.
This model is much sleeker and slimmer, and a lot more affordable. Its most important upgrade is the ability to play the streamed 4K content available from Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video. Picture quality is, in a word, amazing. This set delivers the accurate, unhyped images we expect from Sony's premium XBR technology, along with the spectacular detail we expect from Ultra HD TV.
Ultra HD will enhance the quality of everything you watch, with a screen that has four times the resolution of a regular "full HD" 1080p TV. Sony teams this 4K screen technology with their TRILUMINOS LED backlighting, which provides more depth and shades of color than you've probably ever seen before.
Sony's FMP-X10 Ultra HD media player.
To enjoy the highest-quality 4K viewing experience at home, connect this TV to Sony's FMP-X10 4K Ultra HD media player, which lets you access a library of full-length 4K Ultra HD feature films and TV shows from your living room. You can download titles from Sony's Video Unlimited 4K Store and load them on the FMP-X10's built-in hard drive.
Sony does 4K from "lens to living room"
The XBR-55X850B's screen contains over 8 million pixels (3,840 x 2,160) — the higher pixel density is easily visible. Equally important to the overall viewing experience is Sony's 4K expertise, which extends from "lens to living room." They build professional 4K cameras and cinema projectors, and Sony Pictures has a bigger catalog of 4K films than any other studio. This end-to-end approach helps ensure that XBR owners can have a truly theater-like experience at home.
4K X-Reality™ Pro delivers state-of-the-art upconversion
True 4K content will be scarce for a while, but that shouldn't keep you from considering this TV. Based on ten years' experience upscaling movies to 4K in over 15,000 theaters worldwide, Sony has developed a processor so advanced it can upscale HD content to near-4K quality. This 4K X-Reality™ Pro chip enhances picture quality by analyzing and correcting images, resulting in impressively natural detail and color. You'll see the benefits of X-Reality Pro on everything from Blu-ray discs to Netflix® movies to video clips from your smartphone. X-Reality Pro enhances detail and reduces video noise by drawing on a database of real patterns, shapes and textures to display a startlingly lifelike picture. You also get Sony's Motionflow™ XR 240 blur reduction, which maintains clear motion even with fast-action content.
Up-to-the-minute Smart TV features
The XBR-55X850B has built-in Wi-Fi® so you can stream a variety of HD entertainment straight from the web. You can access an endless selection of entertainment at the Sony Entertainment Network, where thousands of movies, TV shows, videos, games and music are always at your fingertips. And connect to even more movies, music and apps by wirelessly mirroring what's on your compatible Android™ smartphone.
This TV comes with not one but two remotes. The new "One-flick" touchpad has several advances over the typical button-style remote. First, it operates via Bluetooth instead of IR, so it's less finicky as far as needing to be precisely aimed at the TV's remote sensor. And the touchpad makes screen navigation and switching between apps quick and easy. The other remote is a standard IR clicker.
- 54.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen, matte black bezel and cabinet
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- HEVC for watching streamed 4K content from sources like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- 3D TV (includes 2 pairs of passive 3D glasses)
- Dynamic Edge LED backlight with frame dimming for excellent picture contrast and black levels
- TRILUMINOS Display technology for a wider color range
- Motionflow XR 240 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- 4K X-Reality Pro video processing optimizes picture texture, outline, contrast and color
- Internet-ready Smart TV with built-in web browser
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- Skype-capable with built-in top-mounted camera
- MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
- one-touch screen mirroring with Miracast enabled smartphones
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- two remotes: a One-flick touchpad remote control, plus a standard IR remote
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone as a remote control
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
Connections and Dimensions:
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 HDMI 2.0 (two inputs are HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources)
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 1 composite video
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (may only pass 2-channel audio from HDMI-connected sources)
- stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 17-1/16"W with stand legs in narrow position)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 48-9/16"W x 28-1/4"H x 2-13/16"D (31-1/8"H x 11-5/16"D on stand)
- weight: 53.1 lbs. with stand; 51.8 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XBR55X850B
What's in the box:
- 55" LED-LCD TV
- 2 Feet
- Touchpad remote control (RMF-YD003)
- IR remote control (RM-YD102)
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- Two 3D glasses (TDG-500P)
- IR blaster
- Four M5 x 12mm screws (lock-/flat-washers)
- Operating Instructions
- Stand assembly instructions
- Safety/Regulatory Booklet
- "Attention" note
- End User License Agreement
- US Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Child Safety booklet
EnergyGuide:View EnergyGuide label
Sony XBR-55X850B reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony XBR-55X850B
Features & specs
Ultra 4K Resolution: See more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on your 1080p HDTV. Advanced picture processing also ensures that every single pixel displays images with superb brightness and authentic detail. It's the highest resolution picture Sony has ever produced on a TV.
Note: Add a Sony 4K Ultra HD Media Player (FMP-X10, sold separately) for exclusive access to the Video Unlimited 4K service, which hosts the largest selection of feature films and TV episodes in 4K Ultra HD for the home. Choose to download new releases and classic films for rental or purchase. Or choose from a vast library of included 4K videos.
HEVC Codec: Sony's 2014 4K Ultra-HD TVs are optimized to support the new HEVC codec that is needed for a variety of current and forthcoming 4K video services from Netflix and other providers without the need to buy additional update kits. The Sony Ultra-HD television also supports the latest HDMI 2.0 to connect external media players (sold separately) and 4K/60p playback for viewing 4K sports in the future. Current available 4K content includes:
- Netflix: Provides viewers access to stream select TV shows and films in 4K Ultra-HD; can be done directly from TV
- Video Unlimited 4K: Allows you to rent or purchase from the largest collection of 4K feature films and TV episodes for your home; requires Sony's FMP-X10 4K media player (sold separately).
- PlayMemories Online: Makes it easy to view and share your personal photos in 4K; requires Sony's FMP-X10 4K media player (sold separately)
- 500px: Showcases stunning professional photos from around the world in 4K directly on your TV; requires Sony's FMP-X10 4K media player (sold separately).
4K X-Reality Pro Engine: Sony's new 4K X-Reality Pro Engine enhances Ultra-HD, HD, and SD images by analyzing and refining images with beautifully natural detail and astounding color. This 4K television upscales your favorite TV shows, DVDs and Blu-ray movies, even video-on-demand content, and smartphone videos to Ultra-HD quality. The 4K X-Reality Pro Engine breathes new life into everything you see with phenomenal 4K (3,840 x 2,160) resolution.
Dynamic Edge LED Backlighting w/ Local Dimming: Dynamic Edge LED backlighting with local dimming delivers pitch-black night scenes and illuminates bright scenes that pop with vibrant color. Rather than illuminating the entire screen, contrast is boosted in just the right areas for a more realistic picture.
TRILUMINOS Display Technology: Unique to Sony, TRILUMINOS Display technology creates incredibly true, natural shades of colors; just the way you want them. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues, and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better, too, with natural skin tones. It's all thanks to a new TRILUMINOS display that gives images a heightened sense of depth.
MotionFlow XR 240 Technology: Sony's MotionFlow XR 240 technology feature a precise backlight control that is synchronized with the liquid crystal movement from frame-to-frame creating clearer, sharper moving images. MotionFlow XR 240 combines 120 frames-per-second with the TV's advanced LED backlight system to simulate a 240 Hz effect. MotionFlow XR 240 provides smooth and precise detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture. You can select between various settings.
- Standard: Provides smooth picture movement for standard use.
- Smooth: Provides smoother picture movement for film-based content.
- Clear: Reduces motion blur for high-speed picture content.
- Clear Plus: Reduces motion blur while maintaining brightness for high-speed picture content.
- True Cinema: Images, such as a movie created in 24fps are reproduced at the original frame rate.
Automatic Intelligence: The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes. The ACE can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Video Inputs: The Sony XBR-X850B series TV is equipped with HDMI (2.0), Component, and Composite video inputs. A back cover has to be removed to access these video inputs.
- HDMI 2.0: The XBR-X850B series TV is fitted with four
HDMI 2.0 inputs to connect your high-definition sources; such as Blu-ray/DVD
player, Satellite/Cable receiver, game system, and AV receiver. In
addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI
inputs will accept 4K/60Hz, 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported only by the TV's HDMI 1 & 2 inputs. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:2:0 Color Subsampling: All of the TV HDMI inputs support 4:2:0 color subsampling. This ratio indicates that the chromo channels are subsampled both horizontally and vertically. This reduces color resolution in both the horizontal and vertical dimensions compared to 4:2:2, which only reduces horizontal chroma resolution.
- Component & Composite Video: The component video input will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. If needed, the component video input can be used as a composite video (480i only) input instead. The composite video input will support 480i video signals only.
Note: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners with an RF-coaxial input, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
MHL Compatible: The HDMI 2 and 4 input are designed for the connection of select mobile phones and other portable electronic devices using the new MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) standard. Simply plug your MHL compatible smartphone into the TV's HDMI 2 or 4 (MHL) input using the HDMI cable that is included with your mobile phone. MHL allows you to display full 1080p video and still images on the Sony TV from your mobile smartphone. The TV's IR remote can be used to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Menu navigation). Your MHL compliant device will also charge while connected to the TV's HDMI 2 or 4 input. To find MHL-certified devices, go to www.mhlconsortium.org.
Passive 3D Technology (w/ glasses): The Sony XBR-X850B series LED-LCD TV uses the same Passive 3D technology used to power 3D films in today's movie theaters. The Sony LED-LCD TV creates stereoscopic three-dimensional images using polarized glasses (2 pairs included), making it ideal for 3D movies and games. This passive 3D technology offers wider viewing angles, no "flicker-effect", and less eye strain.
- Depth Control: You can adjust the depth of the 3D image to your personal preference.
- 2D-to-3D Conversion: To ensure that you can enjoy 3D any time you want, Sony has incorporated 2D-to-3D conversion, which allows you to watch your favorite 2D movies, TV programs, or games in virtual 3D.
- SimulView Gaming: SimulView gaming presents 2 different Full HD pictures at once on the LED-LCD TV, making it so each player sees only their unique point of view across the entire screen while wearing light, comfortable glasses (TDG-SV5P, sold separately) that don't need batteries. There's already a growing collection of fun-filled PS3 games with SimulView technology.
Note: The Sony LED-LCD TV can display in 3D via 3D broadcasting or when the TV is connected to a compatible device, such as a 3D-ready Blu-ray player with 3D content. The TV must be connected to your 3D source via HDMI (v.1.4) and you must wear the included passive 3D glasses in order to see these images in 3D (three-dimensional) format.
Wide Mode: The Wide Mode feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
|Wide Mode||16:9 Original Source||4:3 Original Source|
|Wide Zoom||Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion.||Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen.|
|Normal||Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3 (available for 480i or 480p sources).||Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen (available for 480i or 480p sources).|
|Full||Displays the picture at its original size.||Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen.|
|Zoom||Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally.||Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies).|
|Auto Wide|| |
Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Picture Adjustments: The TV's picture adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs. You can also lock the television's picture adjustments to prevent the TV's Picture Settings from being changed.
- Picture Mode: You can select one of the following
- Standard: Displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments.
- Cinema: 1 (suitable for a theater-like environment), 2 (for basic home use).
- Vivid: Enhances picture contrast and sharpness.
- Sports: Optimizes picture quality for viewing sports.
- Animation: Optimizes picture quality for viewing animations.
- Game: Standard (provides standard picture suitable for games), Original (adjust the game picture according to your preference).
- Graphics: Optimizes picture quality for viewing graphics.
- Photo: Standard (optimizes picture quality for viewing photographs), Original (enhances the visual warmth of photographs), Vivid (enhances contrast, sharpness, color of photographs), Custom: (adjustment of detailed settings for viewing photographs and storing your preferred settings).
- Custom: Backlight (adjust brightness of backlight), Picture (adjusts picture contrasts), Brightness (adjusts brightness of picture), Color (adjusts color intensity), Hue (adjusts green and red tones), Color Temperature (adjusts the whiteness of the picture), and Sharpness (adjusts sharpness of picture).
- Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture
mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following.
- Auto Light Limiter: Reduces glare such as in scenes where the entire screen is white.
- LED Dynamic Control: Optimizes contrast by adjusting brightness in individual sections of the screen.
- Black Corrector: Enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast. The Black Corrector can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Resolution: The Resolution function adjusts detail and clarity of the picture.
- Detail & Reality Enhancer: Enhances the details of the picture.
- Reality Enhancer: Adjusts the detail and noise from a realistic picture.
- Edge Enhancer: Enhances the edges of the picture.
- Skin Naturalizer: Makes the texture of the skin smoother (available for USB and Media server content). It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Smooth Gradation: Creates smooth gradations on flat surfaces of the picture.
- Gamma: Adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture.
- Clear White: Emphasizes white and light colors. It can be set to High, Low, or Off.
- Live Color: Makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones. It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- White Balance: Adjusts the color temperature color by color.
- Digital Noise Reduction: The LED-LCD TV provides
Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) to help eliminate noise and create a clear
- MPEG Noise Reduction: MPEG Noise Reduction enhances detail in whatever you're watching with meticulous processing. It even helps clean up video from DVD, digital broadcasts, USB and PC sources so the picture looks pristine and vivid.
- Dot Noise Reduction: Dot Noise Reduction reduces the dot noise level of video images. ff.
- Pro Picture Setup: The Pro Picture Setup menu allows
for Color Matrix and HDMI adjustments.
- Color Matrix: Reproduces the color-difference signals. It is recommended to leave this at the factory default setting.
- HDMI Dynamic Range: Produces natural color by changing the luminance tone reproduction of HDMI input color signals.
- Film & Sports Modes: The TV offers unique viewing modes
for enjoying movies and live sports events.
- CineMotion: This function provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content.
- Football Mode: You can obtain more realistic picture and audio, as though you are watching from the stands of the stadium.
PIP & PAP: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers PIP (picture in picture) and PAP (picture and picture).
- PIP (Picture in Picture): Picture-in-Picture displays an image from a connected PC (via HDMI) in full-screen and a TV program or external analog input in an inset window. You can swap audio between the main and sub window. You can also change the channel of the sub window. You cannot view another HDMI source in the inset window.
- PAP (Picture and Picture): This feature lets you watch two pictures simultaneously. You can view an image from the component video or HDMI inputs in the main window and a TV program or external analog input in the sub window. You can switch audio between the two images.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel in the television's HDMI 1 input enables the TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from the TV's tuner, network connection, and USB input can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM. HDMI and analog connected devices will be output as 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI IN 1 port. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Audio Outputs: The Sony HDTV offers analog and digital audio outputs. A back cover has to be removed to access these audio outputs.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable. You can set the TV to automatically mute the built-in speakers when a set of headphones are connected.
- Digital Audio Output: An optical digital output is provided to allow you to connect the unit to a surround processor. The TV's digital audio output terminal outputs a Dolby Digital or 2-channel down-mixed PCM signal for use with an external Dolby Digital decoder or other external audio system with an optical audio input. The TV's optical digital terminal will output audio from the television's antenna, HDMI, and RCA inputs. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA.
S-Force Front Surround: S-FORCE Front Surround provides a virtual surround experience made possible using just two front speakers. S-Force Front Surround simulates 5.1ch surround sound, with an enlarged sweet spot that everyone in the room can enjoy. You can active a 3D mode to generate a virtual three-dimensional sound effect to match your 3D video.
Note: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
Preset Sound Modes + 7-Band EQ: The TV offers five preset sound modes (Standard, Music, Cinema, Game, Sports). The TV is also equipped with a 7-band EQ (100Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 5kHz, 10kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
Advanced Audio Settings: The TV offers additional audio adjustments to enhance the television's sound.
- Sound Booster: The Sound Booster enhances both treble & bass in order to reproduce a more dynamic sound.
- Voice Zoom: Makes voice clearer by lowering background sound.
- Volume Offset: Adjusts the volume level of the current input relative to other inputs.
- Advanced Auto Volume: The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
Optional Wireless Sub: You can use Sony's optional wireless subwoofer (SWF-BR100, sold separately) to extend the bass response of the TV's sound. Simply connect the wireless transceiver supplied with the SWF-BR100 wireless subwoofer to the TV's analog audio output and USB port.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony XBR-X850B series LED-LCD TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via the Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony XBR-X850B series LED-LCD TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer. A back cover has to be removed to access the Ethernet port.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security; a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router is recommended for 4K streaming.
Note: Sony recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 15 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
WiFi Direct + MiraCast: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported. Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) to the Sony TV. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen; no wireless router or access point required.
Note: The TV also supports one-touch NFC pairing for select Android devices (like Sony Xperia) with MiraCast. Simply touch your compatible Android mobile device to the Sony' TV's NFC logo for instant "screen-mirroring" from the mobile device to the television.
Sony Entertainment Network: Once the Sony LED-LCD TV has been connected to your home network (via Ethernet or WiFi), you can have your favorite internet content delivered to the television via Bravia Internet Video, the Opera TV Store, or the built-in web browser. You can stream movies, videos, music, and more with Bravia Internet Video; while the built-in web-browser lets you search on-line content by URL. The Opera TV Store lets you download additional apps. You can even stay connected with social networking apps. Click here for a full list of Sony Entertainment Network content (over 200 streaming services).
- Bravia Internet Video: Bravia Internet Video serves as a gateway to online audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to the Sony TV. Bravia Internet TV allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular online movie services; Video Unlimited, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, UltraFlix, Crackle, Flixster, and more. You can also listen to select music services offered on the internet with this receiver. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular internet radio services; Music Unlimited, Pandora, Slacker, Berliner Philharmoniker, NPR, and more.
- Social Viewing: Social Viewing allows you to use your social network services (like Facebook & Twitter) while watching content on your TV. Enjoy chatting with your friends and check what others are saying about the show from on-screen comments. You can even enjoy free high-definition Skype-to-Skype video calls from the comfort of your living room through the TV's top-panel retractable camera & microphone. The camera adds approximately 0.6875" to the overall height of the TV when in use. Or, you can use your MHL-connected mobile phone as your camera/speakerphone.
- Opera TV Store: The Opera TV Store provides a collection of additional downloadable web apps that are optimized for TV viewing. These apps range from videos, games, weather, news, world clocks, and social networks.
- Opera Internet Browser: The built-in Opera Internet Browser allows you to access select web content through the Sony LED-LCD TV. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to enter URLs and do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service. Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
Note: Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice.
4K Network Streaming: This Ultra-HD TV even offers "HEVC" decoding, which means it'll be able to display 4K content from online movie & TV show providers (like Netflix, UltraFlix or Sony Video Unlimited). Netflix 4K streaming can be done directly from the TV; you will need the Sony 4K media player (sold separately) to view 4K content from Sony Video Unlimited. 4K network streaming requires a network speed of 15Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router for 4K streaming. Make sure the Sony television has the latest software/firmware updates installed.
PlayStation Now (coming Summer 2014): PlayStation Now lets you stream PlayStation3 games directly to the Sony TV. Simply register for a free SEN account, launch PlayStation now on the Sony television, and pair your PlayStation DUALSHOCK3 controller to the TV for access to an expanding hand-picked collection of PlayStation 3 games to play (rental or subscription fees may apply). PlayStation Now gives gamers access to some of PlayStation's most popular games. With a wide variety of games to stream, there will always be new challenges to find and conquer when the moment to play presents itself.
Media Streaming: The Sony LED-LCD TV allows you to stream a variety of audio, video, and photo content from USB (MSC) and Network (DLNA) devices. Compatible media formats include MP3/WMA/WAV music files, MPEG/MP4/AVCHD/AVI/MKV/MOV video files, JPEG/MPO/RAW photo files.
- DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo , music, and video files stored on your Windows 7/8 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server/Android device) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
- Triple USB Ports: The Sony LED-LCD TV features three USB (type-A) ports for sharing your photos or videos, and listening to music from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. Even 4K photos & videos that you've downloaded to your USB-enabled device can be played back on the TV in Ultra-HD 4K. You USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32. The USB ports will also charge your connected devices (max: 5V, 500A/800A). A back cover has to be removed to access all three USB ports.
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. The tested TV contained software version PKG2.164AAA ( as of 6/24/2014). Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Home Menu: The Home Menu can be displayed by pressing the HOME button on the remote control. Various categories are displayed at the top of the Home Menu. You can pick a category and play back content by selecting a thumbnail from that category.
- Channel: You can view thumbnails of live and future broadcasts and recorded content.
- 4K Movies: You can watch 4K movies from online movie service providers by connecting Sony's 4K media player (sold separately).
- Movies: You can watch movies from online movie service providers, connected USB devices, or your home network.
- Photos: You can view photos from online service providers, connected USB devices, or your home network.
- Music: You can play back music content from online music service providers, connected USB devices, or your home network.
- Apps: You can launch a variety applications. Thumbnails of featured applications and your favorite applications are displayed. You can also choose to view all applications.
Content Search: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and network apps.
- Program Guide: You can quickly find your preferred programs and the detailed program information. The current program information and weekly program guides for the next eight days are provided.
- Content Information Search: This feature searches for information about the TV program you are watching, or the currently playing music title/artist name on your TV, from an Internet database.
- Related Search: When the TV is connected to the Internet, you can search for related content while watching various content on the TV.
- Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows, movies, and music. Simply enter in the track title, album name, or movie title.
Scene Select: You can access the following Scene Select modes from the remote control to optimize both picture and sound quality.
- Auto: Automatically optimizes picture and sound quality according to the input source.
- General: Optimizes picture and sound quality for general content.
- Cinema: Delivers picture scenes and sound just like those in a theater.
- Sports: Presents realistic pictures and sound just like those in a stadium.
- Animation: Lets you enjoy watching an animation with superb picture and sound quality.
- Photo: Reproduces the texture and color of a printed photo.
- Music: Lets you experience dynamic and clear sound just like a concert.
- Game: Broadens your game-playing experience with superb picture and sound quality.
- Graphics: Eases prolonged monitor viewing with clearer detailed pictures.
Closed Captions + Input/Channel Label: The Sony televisions provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size. You can assign an icon or name to an external input and connected equipment, as well as edit analog channel labels to your preference.
Power Management Functions: This Sony LED-LCD TV incorporates advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers a TV timer and Sleep timer. The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference. The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password. You can also block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
i-Manual: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV's full owner's manual can be accessed on the TV using the remote's i-Manual button.
Dual Remotes: To operate the TV, you can use either the included touchpad remote control or the IR (infrared) remote control. Using the touchpad remote control, basic operation of TV's functions and settings can be made by simply sliding and pressing your finger across the touchpad the remote. Thanks to touchpad control, videos, photos, or even Internet content (like Netflix) can be accessed with just a swipe or flick of your finger. To use buttons that are not on the Touchpad Remote Control, use the on-screen key pad. Because the touchpad remote control operates via Bluetooth, you will need to register remote with the TV before use.
Note: In addition, you can program the remote through the TV's menu to operate your satellite/cable box and home theater receiver, using the included IR blaster.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player: Automatically turns the BRAVIA Sync-compatible device on and switches the input to that device when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu. Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected device when the device starts to play
- AV Amplifier: Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on; this function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound. Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on. Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera: Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on. Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Controls menu operation, playback, and channel selection of the connected video camera through the TV's remote
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
TV SideView Remote App: With the free Sony TV SideView App, you can control the Sony XBR-X850B series TV and browse its content from your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (5.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (2.2+). Simply download the this app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store onto your compatible device. The TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony LED-LCD TV. You'll be able to search what's available to watch on broadcast stations and video on-demand apps. You can even pull up the TV's channel guide on your smartphone or tablet without interfering with the what you're watching on the TV. You also get to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. In addition, you can tweet about what you're watching from your mobile device or see what fellow fans are tweeting about in real time. You'll also be able to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Apple iOS/Android device to the TV.
Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the mouse and enter text with the USB keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Serial/IR Ports: You can connect the 3.5mm serial and IR ports to an external control device (such as a computer or A/V control system) to control the TV's functions externally.
Mounting Feet: The Sony TV comes supplied with two mounting feet which allow the television to be placed on an AV stand or inside a cabinet. The mounting feet must be attached using the supplied hardware. There are two mounting options for the feet which varies the footprint width; the feet can be mounted with a footprint width of 17.0625" or 48.5625". The television weighs 53.1 lbs with the stand attached. This TV does not swivel.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The television can be wall mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). The TV has 4 threaded screw inserts with a spacing of 300mm (h) x 300mm (v). The threaded inserts will accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 51.8 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The television if fitted with an attached 5' AC power cord which is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug. The AC plug sits 1.375" from the wall.