About the Sony XBR-55X850C
More than ever, Sony keeps the focus on picture quality
More than ever, Sony keeps the focus on picture quality
I have a 10-year-old 55" Sony HDTV that still gets a lot of use. In its day, its picture was considered top-notch, but when I compare it to the 55" Ultra HD XBR-55X850C, I get the itch to upgrade. Sure, this new 4K XBR has millions more pixels so it can display images with tons more detail and texture. But Sony's other new technologies raise the bar for clarity, color and contrast, too. Want a picture that pops? Here you go.
Cinema-like color, clarity and contrast in your living room
Sony is the 4K expert. They build professional 4K cameras and cinema projectors, and Sony Pictures has a bigger catalog of 4K films than any other studio. All that helps their XBR Ultra HD TVs provide a more theater-like experience at home.
Sony was also the first TV maker to achieve a significantly wider color range in their 4K TVs by enhancing the LED backlight. Originally, Sony used nanocrystals (sometimes referred to as "quantum dots") to produce purer blue, green, and red light, from which the TV's entire color palette is created. Their latest TRILUMINOS™ Display system produces the deep, true colors of nanocrystals, using technology that better complements Sony's new X1 video processing engine, and also allows a much thinner LCD panel.
A 4K TV can transform your viewing in more ways than one
Right now, the way to see the best possible 4K picture from the XBR-55X850C is to connect it to Sony's FMP-X10 4K Ultra HD media player, which lets you access a library of full-length 4K Ultra HD feature films and TV shows from your living room. You can download titles from Sony's Video Unlimited 4K Store and load them on the FMP-X10's built-in hard drive.
This TV is also ready for the launch of Ultra HD Blu-ray movies and players in early 2016. All of the set's HDMI inputs support HDCP 2.2 copy protection, which is essential for hooking up any 4K video source. The XBR-55X850C also includes “HEVC” decoding, so it can effortlessly display the streamed 4K movies and TV series available from Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video.
Even if you don't plan to dive into 4K content right away, this TV still deserves consideration. Based on ten years' experience upscaling movies to 4K in movie theaters around the world, Sony has developed a processor so advanced it can upscale HD content to near-4K quality. This 4K X-Reality™ Pro chip visibly improves detail and color on everything from Blu-ray discs to Netflix® movies to video clips from your smartphone. You also get Sony's Motionflow™ XR 960 blur reduction, which maintains motion clarity even with fast-action content.
Big news for gamers: PlayStation™Now game streaming
Here's an innovative approach to gaming. Sony's PlayStation Now service gives you the option of streaming PS3™ games via the web directly to this TV, with no extra video game console needed. You can play select PS3 games with no downloads, patches, installs or trips to the store required — whenever the urge strikes. You get to choose: either rent from a library of over 200 game titles, or subscribe to get instant access to an all-you-can-play catalog of 100+ PS3 games. A Sony PS4 DUALSHOCK® controller (sold separately) will plug right into one of the TV's USB ports.
Sony Android TV — more than just another smart TV
The XBR-55X850C's built-in Android operating system lets you do a lot of things you're used to doing on your tablet or smartphone. Log in to your Google ID to access a huge collection of apps, games and content from Google Play. And the Google Cast feature lets you stream movies, pictures, and TV shows from your iOS or Android-based phone, or from a laptop. Another nice touch is the surprisingly fast and effective voice-activated search capability, which you can access using the supplied One-flick touchpad remote, or any compatible Android device.
- 54.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen, black bezel and Dark Chrome Mirror Flat shaft stand
- Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- HEVC for watching streamed 4K content from sources like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- DIRECTV 4K Ready DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
- 3D-ready TV (active 3D glasses sold separately)
- Dynamic Edge LED backlight with frame dimming for excellent picture contrast and black levels
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
- Motionflow XR 960 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- 4K Processor X1 engine and 4K X-Reality Pro upscaler ensure the cleanest, clearest picture for all video sources
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) capable for extended picture contrast and brightness with streamed HDR content from Amazon
- PlayStation™Now PS3™ game streaming (subscription and controller not included; details here)
- Internet-ready Android TV with Google Cast, voice search and Play Store apps
- Netflix Recommended TV offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
- fast 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
- one-touch screen mirroring with Miracast enabled smartphones and tablets
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- built-in down-firing speakers (10 watts x 2)
- two remotes: a One-flick touchpad remote control, plus a standard IR remote
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
Connections and Dimensions:
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 HDMI 2.0 (all inputs are HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources)
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 1 composite video
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 25"W x 8-3/4"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 48-3/4"W x 28-1/2"H x 2-5/8"D (29-15/16"H x 8-3/4"D on stand)
- weight: 46.3 lbs. with stand; 43.9 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XBR55X850C
What's in the box:
- 55" LED-LCD TV
- Pedestal base
- 2 Pedestal brackets
- Touchpad remote control (RMF-TX100U)
- IR remote control (RMT-TX100U)
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- IR blaster
- Six M5 x 16mm screws (lock-/flat-washers)
- Reference Guide (En/Fr)
- Startup Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Safety/Regulatory Booklet (En/Fr/Sp)
- End User License Agreement
- "Turn-On" note
- "Attention" note
- US Limited Warranty
- Canada Consumer Warranty
- DIRECTV brochure
- "Child Safety" booklet
EnergyGuide:View EnergyGuide label
Sony XBR-55X850C reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony XBR-55X850C
Features & specs
Network & USB Functions
Ultra 4K Resolution: See more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on your 1080p HDTV. Advanced picture processing also ensures that every single pixel displays images with superb brightness and authentic detail. It's the highest resolution picture Sony has ever produced on a TV. The Sony 4K Ultra-HD TV even supports the new HEVC/H.265 and VP9 codecs that are needed for a variety of current and forthcoming 4K video services (like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and other providers).
4K X1 Engine: Sony's powerful 4K Processor X1 engine incorporates a 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler, TRILUMINOS Display technology, and Dynamic Contrast Enhancer technology to bring stunning picture quality to whatever you're watching. You'll enjoy incredible 4K images with greater clarity, more lifelike colors and sparkling contrast.
- 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler: Sony's new 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler enhances Ultra-HD, HD, and SD images by analyzing and refining images with beautifully natural detail and astounding color. This 4K television upscales your favorite TV shows, DVDs and Blu-ray movies, even video-on-demand content, and smartphone videos to Ultra-HD quality. Every pixel and individual parts of each scene are analyzed and matched with a special image database for supremely lifelike detail. The 4K X-Reality Pro Engine breathes new life into everything you see with phenomenal 4K (3,840 x 2,160) resolution.
- TRILUMINOS Display: Unique to Sony, TRILUMINOS Display technology creates incredibly true, natural shades of colors; just the way you want them. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues, and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better, too, with natural skin tones. It's all thanks to a new TRILUMINOS display that gives images a heightened sense of depth.
- Dynamic Contrast Enhancer: The X1 Engine utilizes Dynamic Contrast Enhancer technology to reproduce deeper blacks, brighter whites, and more video color.
Dynamic Edge LED Backlighting: The Dynamic Edge LED system divides the TV screen into regions, each of which can be dimmed independently. Within a single scene, you'll see a powerful combination of intense highlights, bright whites and deep, rich, satisfying blacks. The system also adjusts the video signal for consistent tonal reproduction across all the backlight segments. The result is a video image with a a powerful dynamic contrast.
MotionFlow XR 960 Technology: Sony's MotionFlow XR 960 technology feature a precise backlight control that is synchronized with the liquid crystal movement from frame-to-frame creating clearer, sharper moving images. MotionFlow XR 960 combines 120 frames-per-second with the TV's advanced LED backlight system to simulate a 960 Hz effect. MotionFlow XR 960 provides smooth and precise detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture. You can select between various settings - Standard, Smooth, Clear, True Cinema (24fps), and Custom.
Automatic Intelligence: The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes. The ACE can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Video Inputs: The Sony Ultra-HD TV is equipped with HDMI (2.0), Component, and Composite video inputs. A back cover has to be removed to access these video inputs.
- 4 HDMI Inputs: The Ultra-HD TV is fitted with four HDMI
2.0 inputs to connect your high-definition sources; such as Blu-ray/DVD
player, Satellite/Cable receiver, game system, and AV receiver. In
addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI
inputs will accept 4K/60Hz, 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the TV's HDMI inputs. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All four HDMI inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). 4:2:2 (30/60fps) and 4:2:0 (60fps) are also supported by all HDMI inputs. With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Analog Video Inputs: There is one component video input and one composite video input. The component video input will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. The composite video input will support 480i video signals only.
Note: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners with an RF-coaxial input, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
HDR (High Dynamic Range) Update: Sony has issued a firmware update that will enable this Ultra-HD TV to support HDMI 2.0a and the ability to display High Dynamic Range (HDR) content from external devices (such as Ultra-HD Blu-ray players). The firmware update will also allow you to enjoy online HDR content available through Amazon Video. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
Note: Please use a premium high speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps and above to view HDR content.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
MHL 3.0 Compatible: The HDMI 2 input is designed for the connection of select mobile phones and other portable electronic devices using the new MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) 3.0 standard. Simply plug your MHL compatible smartphone into the TV's HDMI 2 (MHL) input using the HDMI cable that is included with your mobile phone. MHL allows you to display ultra-HD 4K video and still images on the Sony TV from your mobile smartphone. The TV's IR remote can be used to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Menu navigation). Your MHL compliant device will also charge while connected to the TV's HDMI 2 input. To find MHL-certified devices, go to www.mhlconsortium.org.
Active 3D Technology: The Sony Ultra-HD TV lets you enjoy 3D (three-dimensional) pictures and graphics from 3D-compatible 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video sources (not compatible with 4K). You can enjoy an immersive, realistic movie and gaming experience using Sony's active 3D glasses (sold separately). Enjoy 3D content from the TV's built-in network apps, or your HDMI connected Blu-ray player, satellite receiver, or gaming console. When using the active shutter glasses, the on-screen image is precisely synchronized and delivered with the full high-definition image intact, for an optimum 3D viewing experience. Sony's 3D technology displays high speed synchronized left- and right-eye images to deliver an amazing 3D experience. And since each frame you see is shown in high-definition, the 3D action still offers razor-sharp detail.
Picture Adjustments: The TV's picture adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs. You can also lock the television's picture adjustments to prevent the TV's Picture Settings from being changed.
- Screen Modes: The Screen Modes feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Choose from Wide Zoom, Normal, Full, Zoom, or Auto Wide. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
- Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes - Standard, Vivid, Cinema (Pro/Home), Sports, Animation, and Custom.
- Advanced Video Settings: The Advanced Video Settings menu
offers further adjustment of the TV's video image.
- Brightness: You can increase or decrease the brightness of an image by adjusting the TV's Brightness, Contrast, Gamma (adjusts light/dark balance), Black Level, and Black Adjust (enhances black areas).
- Color: You can tailor the color of an image by adjusting the TV's Color, Hue, Color Temperature (white balance), Color Space (sets color reproduction range), or Live Color (produces vivid colors).
- Clarity: You can improve the clarity of an image by adjusting the TV's Sharpness, Reality Creation (increases clarity), Resolution (increases detail), and Noise reduction (removes noise).
- Film Mode: Film Mode provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content.
Twin Picture (Firmware Update): The Sony LED-LCD TV offers Twin Picture functionality through PIP (picture in picture) & PAP (picture and picture); this feature requires a future firmware update.
- PIP (Picture in Picture): Picture-in-Picture displays an image from a connected PC (via HDMI) in full-screen and a TV program or external analog input in an inset window. You can swap audio between the main and sub window. You can also change the channel of the sub window. You cannot view another HDMI source in the inset window.
- PAP (Picture and Picture): This feature lets you watch two pictures simultaneously. You can view an image from the component video or HDMI inputs in the main window and a TV program or external analog input in the sub window. You can switch audio between the two images.
Note: The Twin Picture function will be available by November 2015 via a firmware update. You will receive Twin Picture function automatically as a network software upgrade. Make sure your TV is connected to the Internet. If you do not have a network connection, you will be able to download the software from the Sony support website using your PC.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel within the television's HDMI 4 input enables the TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from the TV's tuner, HDMI inputs, network connection, and USB ports can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM. Analog connected devices will be output as 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI 4 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Audio Outputs: The Sony Ultra-HD TV offers analog and digital audio outputs.
- Digital Audio (Dolby Digital/DTS): The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, HDMI inputs, and USB ports on the LED-LCD TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via RCA.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable. You can set the TV to automatically mute the built-in speakers when a set of headphones are connected.
TV Position: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
Equalizer: The TV offers five preset sound modes - Standard, Cinema, Music, and Live Football. The TV is also equipped with a 7-band EQ (125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
Audio Settings: The TV offers additional audio adjustments to enhance the television's sound.
- Surround: Surround provides a virtual surround experience made possible using just the TV's speakers.
- ClearAudio+: Achieves the best sound quality by applying a well-balanced combination of digital signal processing technologies.
- Sound Restoration (DSEE): Reproduces natural sound by restoring high frequencies often lost during digital compression.
- Voice Zoom: Makes voice clearer by lowering background sound.
- Night: Provides a clear sound at a low volume levels.
- Volume Offset: Adjusts the volume level of the current input relative to other inputs.
- Advanced Auto Volume: The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
Optional Wireless Sub: You can use Sony's optional wireless subwoofer (SWF-BR100, sold separately) to extend the bass response of the TV's sound. Simply connect the wireless transceiver supplied with the SWF-BR100 wireless subwoofer to the TV's analog audio output and USB port.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony Ultra-HD TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection you gain access to Android TV and Google Play, as well as PlayStationNow games and content stored on your network computer. You also get the ability to stream content from your Android or Apple iOS mobile device to the TV.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony LED-LCD TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer. A back cover has to be removed to access the Ethernet port.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi (802.11ac; 2.4/5GHz) that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n or better recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security; a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router is recommended for 4K streaming.
Note: Sony recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
Android TV w/ Google Play: The Sony Ultra-HD TV is equipped with Android's Lollipop (5.0.2) operating system and incorporates Android TV with access to a wide variety of apps from Google Play which have been optimized for playback on the big screen. Android TV gives you access to movie, music, sports, and other entertainment apps (subscription, rental, or purchase fees may apply). Click here to discover the full collection of Android TV Apps from Google Play. Not all Google Play apps will be Android TV compatible. More applications and streaming services will be available in the future.
- TV Shows & Movies: Watch movies and TV shows from Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, Vudu, CinemaNow, & Google Play Movies/TV, & Crackle.
- Music & Radio: Listen to online music and internet radio from Pandora, iHeart Radio, TuneIn, & Google Play Music
- Sports: Catch up on sports scores from NBA Game Time & MLB.TV
- Video Clips: Watch user downloaded video clips from DailyMotion & YouTube.
Note: Some applications (Netflix, Amazon Instant Video 4K, Hulu, Vudu, MLB) are currently unavailable. Sony is diligently working to provide updated software so that these applications will be available by the end of May 2015. The list of available applications will be automatically updated once your device is connected to the internet.
4K & HDR Network Streaming: This Ultra-HD TV even offers "HEVC/H.265 & VP9" decoding, which means it'll be able to display 4K content from online movie & TV show providers (like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, or Sony Video Unlimited 4K ). Sony is also adding HDR compatibility to this Ultra-HD TV via a network update (available now). With this update you'll be able to experience vivid HDR content available through Amazon Video.
Note: 4K & HDR network streaming requires a network speed of 20Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router (or better) for 4K & HDR streaming. Make sure the Sony television has the latest software/firmware updates installed.
Mobile Device Streaming: The Sony Ultra-HD TV allows you to wirelessly stream content from a compatible mobile device using Google Cast for playback on the big screen. You can also "mirror" your compatible mobile device using Miracast.
- Google Cast: Google Cast is like having Chromecast built into the television. Google Cast lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android (OS 2.3+) smartphone tablet, Apple iOS (7.0+) device, Mac computer or Windows PC, or Chromebook to the Sony Ultra-HD TV. Now you can cast your favorites movies or TV shows from HBO GO, your downloaded music playlists, Sports highlights from ESPN, and your saved photos from your compatible Google Cast device to the Sony ultra-HD TV. For compatible Google Cast apps click here.
- Miracast: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) to the Sony TV. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen; no wireless router or access point required. The TV also supports one-touch NFC pairing for select Android devices (like Sony Xperia) with MiraCast. Simply touch your compatible Android mobile device to the Sony' TV's NFC logo for instant "screen-mirroring" from the mobile device to the television.
Gaming: The Sony Ultra-HD TV offers built-in gaming access from Google Play and PlayStation Now.
- Google Play Games w/ Gamepad: Download select video games from Google Play and play them on the big screen without the need for any game console. You can connect up to four wireless gamepads (sold separately) for multi-player gaming. Google Play Games even syncs your progress and achievements across your devices, so you can start playing on your Android smartphone or tablet and then move to the Sony TV when you get home.
- PlayStation Now: The Sony Ultra-HD TV is PlayStation Now compatible, allowing you instant access to a catalog of hundreds of streamed PS3 games (no game console required). You can stream PlayStation 3 games through a monthly subscription or rent games individually. Sony's DualShock 4 control (sold separately) is also required. Click here for more information about PlayStation Now.
Web Browser (future upgrade): Through a firmware update (not yet available) you'll gain access to Sony's Opera web browser and the Google Chrome web browser so you, so you can use the TV to search the web.
Photo Sharing Plus: With Photo Sharing Plus, friends and family can share their memories together on the big screen from their Android (2.3+) or Apple iOS (6+) devices. Up to 10 mobile devices can be connected to the TV at once for a fun interactive experience. User can even save their favorite pics between devices.
Media Streaming: The Sony LED-LCD TV allows you to stream a variety of audio, video, and photo content from USB (MSC) , WiFi, and DLNA devices. Compatible media formats include MP3/WMA/WAV music files, MPEG/MP4/AVCHD/AVI/MKV/MOV video files, JPEG/MPO/RAW photo files.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
- DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo , music, and video files stored on your Windows 7/8 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server/Android device) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or WiFi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
- Triple USB Ports: The Sony LED-LCD TV features three USB type-A ports (two 2.0/one 3.0) for sharing your photos or videos, and listening to music from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. Even 4K photos & videos that you've downloaded to your USB-enabled device can be played back on the TV in Ultra-HD 4K. Your USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32. The USB ports will also charge your connected devices (max: 5V, 500A/900A).
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Content Search: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and Android TV apps.
- Program Guide: You can quickly find your preferred programs and the detailed program information. The current program information and weekly program guides for the next eight days are provided.
- Discover: You can use the remote's Discover button to search for content across platforms (TV Antenna, Android TV, Apps, etc.)
- Android TV Recommendations: Personalized content recommendations from Google Play, YouTube and your apps appear automatically in the TV's home screen. So if you are having trouble figuring out what to watch, let Sony's Android TV recommend something for you and the family to watch.
- Voice Search: Simply tap the remote's mic button to start a voice search. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into the remote's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications. If you press the Voice Search button on your remote while you're in a particular app, you'll only search within that app.
- Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows, movies, and music. Simply enter in the track title, album name, or movie title.
Action Menu: The Action Menu provides quick access to the functions that are available for the currently displayed screen.
Netflix Recommended: This Sony Ultra-HD TV is a Netflix Recommended TV. This is due to the fact that is offers a unique feature set which makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy. The Sony TV has an Instant On feature so the TV wakes and apps are ready to use right away. In addition, the TV turns on and launches Netflix with one press of the Netflix button on the included IR remote. Online apps, including Netflix, can resume quickly and return where you left off. Its Android TV interface enables easy navigation and switching between apps and inputs.
DIRECTV 4K Ready (Future Firmware Update): This Sony television is RVU-compatible (via Future Firmware Update) which means DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can watch live broadcast (up to 4K) and stored content (up to 4K) from their DVR on the Sony TV, without the need for additional Genie Mini Client devices or set-top boxes. However, you will need a DECA unit (sold separately) that converts Coax to Ethernet, which will plug into the Sony TV's LAN port.
Daydream Display: You can set up a screensaver (Daydream) for the Sony Android TV that displays photos and colorful designs. Daydream uses a collection of scenic photos; you cannot customize the photos that appear. You can choose how long (5/10/15/30/60 min.) it takes for the Daydream screensaver to start when you are not using the TV.
Power Management Functions: This Sony LED-LCD TV incorporates advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers a TV timer and Sleep timer. The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference. The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password. You can also block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
Help Guide: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV also features an on-screen Help Guide for more detailed information.
Dual Remotes: To operate the TV, you can use either the included RF touchpad remote control or the IR (infrared) remote control.
- RF Touchpad Remote: Using the touchpad remote control, basic operation of TV's functions and settings can be made by simply sliding and pressing your finger across the touchpad the remote. Thanks to touchpad control, videos, photos, or even Internet content (like Netflix) can be accessed with just a swipe or flick of your finger. To use buttons that are not on the Touchpad Remote Control, use the on-screen key pad. The touchpad remote even features a built-in microphone for voice control of select Android TV functions. Because the touchpad remote control operates via Bluetooth, you will need to register remote with the TV before use.
- IR Remote: The IR remote control requires direct line of sight with the Television's front-panel IR sensor. The remote offers soft push-button control. It even has a dedicated Netflix button, so you can access your Netflix movies and TV shows quicker.
Note: In addition, you can program the remotes through the TV's menu to operate your satellite/cable box and home theater receiver, using the included IR blaster.
Remote Apps: The Sony Ultra-HD TV offers remote control capability through your Android or Apple iOS device via the Android TV Remote App (for Android only) or Sony's TV SideView Remote App (for Android & Apple iOS).
- Android TV Remote: The Android TV Remote App from Google Play lets you use your Android (OS 4.0+) smartphone or tablet as a remote to control the Sony television's Android TV functions. Easily navigate content and play games on your compatible Android TV device. The remote app offers voice search and an on-screen keyboard, giving you full control of Android TV from your smartphone or tablet. Simply tap the on-screen mic button to start a voice search, or use the keyboard to input text on Android TV. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into your smartphone or tablet's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications.
- TV SideView Remote: With the free Sony TV SideView App, you can control the Sony TV and browse its content from your Apple iOS device (7.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (4.03+). Simply download the this app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store onto your compatible device. The TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony LED-LCD TV. You'll be able to search what's available to watch on broadcast stations and video on-demand apps. You can even pull up the TV's channel guide on your smartphone or tablet without interfering with the what you're watching on the TV. You also get to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. In addition, you can tweet about what you're watching from your mobile device or see what fellow fans are tweeting about in real time. You'll also be able to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Apple iOS/Android device to the TV.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player: Automatically turns the BRAVIA Sync-compatible device on and switches the input to that device when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu. Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected device when the device starts to play
- AV Amplifier: Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on; this function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound. Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on. Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera: Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on. Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Controls menu operation, playback, and channel selection of the connected video camera through the TV's remote
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the mouse and enter text with the USB keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Serial/IR Ports: You can connect the 3.5mm serial and IR ports to an external control device (such as a computer or A/V control system) to control the TV's functions externally.
Pedestal Base: The Sony TV comes with a pedestal stand. The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand unattached. The television weighs 46.3 lbs with the stand. This stand does not swivel.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The television can be wall mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). The TV has 4 threaded screw inserts with a spacing of 300mm (h) x 300mm (v). These threaded inserts will accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 43.9 lbs without the stand.Ventilation Clearance: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The television if fitted with an attached 5' AC power cord which is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug. The AC plug sits 1.5" from the wall.
The Sony XBR-55X850C replaces these items
- 4K Ultra HD 3D TV
- 3840 x 2160-pixel resolution for 4 times the detail of 1080p
- HEVC for watching streamed 4K content from sources like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video
6 questions already asked