About the Sony MASTER Series XBR-55A9G
The king of TV picture quality — for the second year in a row!
The king of TV picture quality — for the second year in a row!
The competition at the 2019 TV Shootout was as intense as ever, but for the second year in a row Sony's A9-series OLED prevailed. The 65" version was the model tested, but this 55" XBR-55A9G shares the same panel and processing technologies, including Sony's most powerful video processor ever. The result is Sony's finest 4K picture yet, no matter what source you're watching.
X1 Ultimate — still the industry's best video processing
The XBR-55A9G's screen has 8.3 million pixels that can brighten, dim, or power off completely. And each pixel is precisely and individually controlled by the Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate — Sony's most powerful video processor ever. It's able to identify, analyze and optimize hundreds of objects in any video frame, rather than applying generic enhancement to the entire frame. So it can make precise adjustments to the color, contrast and sharpness of individual elements, creating a much more natural looking picture.
The X1 Ultimate processor also detects if there is a static image on screen and performs a pixel shift to avoid burn-in or image retention.
Immersive sound, too — the entire screen is a speaker
Instead of using typical tiny speakers, the XBR-55A9G uses the entire screen to generate sound. Sony's upgraded Acoustic Surface Audio+™ technology uses three actuators on the back to send vibrations through the screen to produce sound. Effects and dialogue track the on-screen action, creating an even more immersive experience. A total of 60 watts of power drives the screen speaker system as well as dual rear-mounted woofers.
A set of speaker inputs is included on the back so you can use the TV's screen sound system as the center channel in a home theater setup. It's a clever solution, especially if you don't have the space for a dedicated center speaker.
Two ways to use voice commands to simplify control
The XBR-55A9G's built-in Android operating system lets you easily log in to your Google ID to access a huge collection of apps, games and content from Google Play. Use the Chromecast Built-in feature to stream movies, pictures, and TV shows from your iOS or Android-based phone, or from a laptop.
Sony also lets you decide how — or if — you want the XBR-55A9G to respond to voice commands. In the setup menu you can choose to have the built-in Google Assistant only activate when you press the mic button on the remote and speak into it. Or, for truly hands-free voice control, set the TV to access Google Assistant by saying "OK Google" when you're within range of the TV's built-in far-field microphone.
You can adjust the volume, change channels or inputs, and control other basic TV functions. Google Assistant can also answer everyday questions and control connected smart home devices. This TV is also compatible with Amazon Alexa voice control assistants.
One of the coolest features for 2019 is support for Apple® AirPlay® 2, so you'll be able to stream content wirelessly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac to the biggest screen in your home.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV.
- 54.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- High Dynamic Range (Dolby Vision®, HDR10, HLG) extends picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content
- self-illuminating OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display panel produces infinite picture contrast and absolute black
- pixel-level dimming enables each of the panel's 8.3 million pixels to brighten, dim, or power off completely, displaying exceptional picture detail, contrast, and depth
- Pixel Contrast Booster enhances color contrast in high-luminance scenes
- Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate includes powerful real-time image processing for ultra-detailed pictures
- Object-based Super Resolution identifies up to hundreds of on-screen objects and enhances their resolution individually for exceptional picture accuracy and detail
- Object-based HDR remaster improves color and contrast for SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) content
- Super Bit Mapping™ 4K HDR employs 14-bit processing to minimize color banding and create smooth transitions between shades of a color
- 4K X-Reality™ PRO upscales images to near-4K clarity while working at the pixel level to clean the picture and reduce noise
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced 4K/HDR content (via future firmware update)
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
- 10-bit panel can display over one billion colors
- MotionFlow™ XR blur/judder reduction
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- Android TV™ with Chromecast built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android™ or iOS® device, or laptop
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- Netflix Recommended TV offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
- Netflix Calibrated Mode mimics the settings on Netflix's mastering monitors to ensure an accurate picture
- compatible with Apple® HomeKit and AirPlay® 2 to allow wireless streaming from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac (via future firmware update)
- mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring with Miracast™ enabled phones and tablets
- 4 HDMI 2.0b
- all inputs are HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to copy-protected 4K video sources
- to view 4K and HDR content from connected sources, use a high-bandwidth HDMI cable
- HDMI 3 input supports eARC/ARC
- 1 composite video (3.5mm A/V minijack — adapter cable required)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Toslink optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- pair of speaker binding post terminals for connecting to an A/V receiver when using the TV's Center Speaker Mode
- Ethernet port for the fastest, most secure internet connection
- 3 USB inputs (two 2.0, one 3.0) for connecting a thumb drive or hard drive
- Acoustic Surface Audio+ makes the entire screen a speaker (2.2-channel system with 60 watts total power)
- Center Speaker Mode allows dialogue, effects and music to come directly from the screen, complementing an existing home theater system
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- the TV's built-in speakers and audio outputs are disabled when streaming audio to Bluetooth headphones or speakers
- can send Dolby Atmos® audio to the TV's speakers, or to an A/V receiver via HDMI/eARC, when using the TV's HDMI inputs or built-in streaming apps
General Features & Info:
- Voice Remote with built-in microphone
- dimensions: 48-5/16"W x 28-1/8"H x 10-1/8"D with stand; 48-5/16"W x 28"H x 1-5/8"D without stand
- weight: 49.2 lbs. with stand; 41.2 lbs. without stand
- detachable pedestal stand ("footprint" is 18-9/16"W x 10-1/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included, see Accessories)
- VESA mounting hole pattern: 300mm x 300mm
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XBR55A9G
What's in the box:
- 55" OLED TV
- Pedestal base
- 2 Pedestal brackets
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RMF-TX600U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Eight M5 x 14mm screws (lock-/flat-washers attached)
- 2 Pedestal base rear-covers
- 3 Rear-panel covers
- Reference Guide
- Setup Guide
- Warranty Information
- Safety and Regulatory Booklet
- End User License Agreement
- "Child Safety" note
- "Hands-free Voice Search Experience" note
EnergyGuide:View EnergyGuide label
Sony MASTER Series XBR-55A9G reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony MASTER Series XBR-55A9G
Features & specs
|Screen Resolution (pixels)||3840 x 2160|
|Screen Refresh Rate||120 Hz|
|Backlight Type||Self-illuminating (no backlight)|
|Quantum Dot Color (for LCD TVs)||N/A for OLED TVs|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range)|
|Next-gen Gaming Features|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)||No|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)||No|
|4K/120Hz HDMI Inputs||None|
|Wi-Fi||Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)|
|Internet Movie Streaming||via Android TV|
|Bluetooth Audio Streaming||Yes|
|Apple AirPlay 2||Yes|
|Video Processing Technology||Picture Processor X1 Ultimate|
|Picture In Picture||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home|
|Series Name||Sony A9G|
|Audio Return Channel||eARC supported|
|Component Video Inputs||0|
|Composite Video Inputs||0|
|3.5mm Composite A/V Inputs||1|
|Optical Digital Audio Output||
1 Rear |
|Analog Audio Output||
3.5mm Rear |
|Estimated Yearly Electricity Use (EnergyGuide)||233 kWh|
|Estimated Yearly Energy Cost (EnergyGuide)||$28|
|Dimensions & Mounting Information|
|Height with Stand (inches)||28-1/8|
|Height without Stand (inches)||28|
|Depth with Stand (inches)||10-1/8|
|Depth without Stand (inches)||1-5/8|
|Stand Width (inches)||18-5/8|
|Weight with Stand||49.2 lbs|
|Weight without Stand||41.2 lbs|
|Wall Bracket Included||No|
|Mounting Hole Pattern||300 x 300mm|
|Pedestal Stand||Assembly required|
|Bezel Dimensions||0.0625 x 0.0625 x 0.5|
Network & USB Functions
Remote, Voice, & App Control
Master Series: The Sony Master Series is the name given to only the highest-grade televisions equipped with the best of Sony technology. The Master Series was created to provide the image quality approaching that of a professional-grade monitor in a motion picture production studio. Sony's objective was to create a television capable of images that faithfully convey the content creators' full intent. For over fifty years, Sony has been pushing the limits of TV picture quality. Now Sony's expertise in Mastering content creation with filmmakers and perfecting screens that replicate the creator's intent has come together in their new Master Series TVs. Master Series TVs meet the strict criteria of Sony's top engineers and faithfully convey the creator's intent, making beautiful images a reality. Master Series aims for TV picture quality with the brightness to illuminate every detail, darkness deep enough to engulf viewers, and colors beautiful enough to captivate the audience. The Master Series is precisely calibrated at the factory for white balance and uniformity to meet the needs of professional creators and ensure consistently high performance.
OLED Technology: This TV screen has millions of self-illuminating OLED pixels that can be individually activated to reproduce truly lifelike pictures. With over 8 million self-illuminating, individually controlled OLED pixels, you'll see real black, incredible contrast, and lifelike color. These OLED pixels work individually and can be turned off completely to deliver absolute black. Each pixel can go from off to bright in a fraction of a second. Because each pixel lights up independently, you'll see more accurate detail, color, and shades in every scene. This level of supreme contrast reveals detail, depth, textures, and colors for a view that's stunningly real. See video images that are bright and clear from any angle. Even in fast-moving scenes there's no blur; you'll see everything in perfect clarity.
- Pixel Contrast Booster: This TV pairs the deep black and natural color of OLED with Sony's Pixel Contrast Booster for enhanced color contrast in high luminance. Everything you watch comes to life with fine detail, enhanced texture, and vivid color. Pixel Cotrast Booster, Sony's proprietary panel controller for OLED, maximizes dynamic range by widening the area of color reproduction at high brightness. Pictures are enhanced with extra detail and texture.
- X-Wide Angle: With Sony's Master Series OLED TV, you can bring the whole family together to enjoy TV and they'll all have a great view of the action from any seat in the room. Sony's X-Wide Angle panel ensures colors stay true from wherever you're watching; you'll see pictures that are bright and clear from any angle. Now, watching TV from the sides is as satisfying as from the center. The TV's screen is also edged with a slim, narrow, 4-sided frame that maximizes the viewing area.
- Motionflow XR w/ X-Motion Clarity: Sony's latest X-Motion Clarity technology keeps everything smooth, bright and clear. Even in fast moving scenes, there's very minimal blur, so you can enjoy smooth pictures with outstanding clarity. Each OLED pixel can go from off to bright in a fraction of a second and each "blink" is individually controlled and its duration optimized, while brightness is boosted when needed, so you won't miss a thing. Enjoy smooth and sharp details, even in fast-moving sequences, with Motionflow XR. This innovative technology creates and inserts extra frames between the original ones. It compares key visual factors on successive frames, then calculates the split second of missing action in the sequences.
Ultra 4K Resolution: For the ultimate in picture quality, this TV pairs the brilliance of 4K clarity with the brightness, color, and detail of High Dynamic Range (HDR). With 4K UHD, you'll see more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on a1080p HDTV. Its detail is so vivid and crisp, even when viewed from close distances; it's nearly impossible to discern a single pixel, even from inches away. Combined with 4K Ultra HD resolution, HDR video content delivers exceptional detail, color and contrast, with a far wider range of brightness than other video formats. The result is the most lifelike picture TVs have ever been able to create, with brilliant highlights and fine detail.
Note: This TV complies with the CTA 4K Ultra High-Definition Connected definition requirements. The trade organization known as the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) is considered an industry authority on engineering standards for consumer electronics in the United States. Visit www.cta.tech for more information.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): High Dynamic Range (HDR) enhances the dynamic range of a picture, increasing the contrast between the brightest whites and darkest blacks. Every pixel is made more accurate, regardless of resolution, bringing scenes to life with greater detail. HDR's greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels brings greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail. Movies and TV shows in HDR are closer to the original recording and the director's vision with more brightness, contrast and color, for a truly lifelike viewing experience.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses not metadata, Dolby Vision adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended.
Note: Please use a premium high speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps and above to view HDR content.
Picture Processor X1 Ultimate: Moving from film to TV requires content to be digitally compressed, which affects picture quality. What the creator sees during shooting is encoded before transmission to the television, then decoded and converted so it can be displayed on the panel. In developing Master Series TVs, Sony wanted to recapture the creator's perfectly finished image as a digital signal while minimizing deterioration. Sony's Picture Processor X1 Ultimate minimizes image deterioration during this process utilizing the following technologies. While developing Picture Processor X1 Ultimate, Sony followed a 'not one bit lost' philosophy. Signals are processed at ultra-high bit rates, then restored to their original quality. High-precision components in the signal processor help preserve detail across the whole image for TV ultimate realism and visual expression. With unmatched processing power, the Picture Processor X1 Ultimate detects hundreds of different objects on-screen and intelligently enhances brightness, detail and color so everything you watch is clear, bright and incredibly realistic.
- Object-Base Super Resolution: Object-based Super Resolution technology detects individual objects in a picture and preserve detail on-screen. Hundreds of objects are identified and their resolution individually enhanced to give a picture of exceptional accuracy and detail.
- Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR: Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR creates a smoother, more natural picture by minimizing its color banding. With 14-bit powerful signal processing, it breaks up the solid bands of color of an 8-bit or 10-bit source, up-converting to 14-bit equivalent gradation, with 64x more color levels. It delivers graceful reproduction of faces, sunsets, and other areas of subtle color. It creates smooth, natural 4K TV picture quality as you watch, without the "banding" that can occur on other TVs.
- Precision Color Mapping: Precision Color Mapping independently analyzes every scene and pixel so the perfect shade and tone are applied dynamically for rich, natural colors. It enhances and optimizes colors individually and finely in real time. It controls every color perfectly for rich and natural results.
- Object-Based HDR ReMaster: With Object-based HDR reMaster, the color in individual objects on screen is analyzed and the contrast adjusted; unlike most TVs where contrast is only adjusted along one black-to-white contrast curve. Because objects are reMastered individually, this TV can reproduce greater depth, textures, and more realistic pictures. By analyzing the objects in each scene individually, Object-based HDR reMaster optimizes and enhances color and contrast. It brings everything you watch closer to the quality of HDR. Dark elements get darker, bright elements brighter, and everything in between is more accurately lit, for realism in every scene never-before-possible. You'll see contours on mountains, hidden textures on flowers, depth in clouds, and wildlife has the contrast and color of nature, for a more natural and realistic picture on screen.
- Dynamic Contrast Enhancer: The Dynamic Contrast Enhancer optimizes the range of brightness frame-by-frame according to what's happening on screen to reproduce deeper blacks, brighter whites, and more video color.
4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler w/ Dual Database Processing: Sony's 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler w/ Dual Database Processing enhances Ultra-HD, HD, and SD images by analyzing and refining images with beautifully natural detail and clarity. One database is used to clean the picture, reducing on-screen noise. The other is used to upscale the resolution, improving clarity. These two powerful image improvement databases work together, dynamically improving pixels in real time. Each database has tens of thousands of references, amassed from our experience creating content for TV and movies over the years. With 4K X-Reality PRO and Dual Database Processing, every image is upscaled closer to true 4K quality for remarkable clarity. This 4K television upscales your favorite TV shows, DVD and Blu-ray movies, even video-on-demand content, and smartphone videos to Ultra-HD.
- Noise Reduction Database: Compressed noise is identified by the database, which includes "before and after" data on what a picture should look like and removes the compressed picture noise.
- Upscaling Database: The upscaling database also includes "before and after" data, which is used to upscale the signal and create a more realistic picture.
TRILUMINOS Display: Unique to Sony, TRILUMINOS Display selectively maps colors across a wider gamut, ensuring subtle colors do not become oversaturated and unnatural. You'll enjoy vivid, authentic images that evoke the emotion in every scene. TRILUMINOS Display uses a wider color spectrum than a conventional flat-panel TV display. A TRILUMINOS Display excels at reproducing reds, greens, and blues; colors that are notoriously difficult for TVs to display accurately. It also displays skin tones beautifully, thanks to its extensive color palette and precise gradation.
Video Inputs: The Sony Master Series OLED TV is equipped with four HDMI 2.0b inputs and a 3.5mm AV input, as well a a RF-coaxial input for its built-in HDTV tuner.
- HDMI 2.0b: The OLED TV is fitted with four HDMI
2.0b inputs to connect your Ultra-HD/HDR and HD sources; such as Ultra
Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Satellite/Cable and Playstation. In addition, any HDMI
input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI inputs will accept
4096 x 2160p (24/60 Hz), 3840 x 2160p (24/30/60 Hz), 1080p (24/30/60/120 Hz), 1080i (60Hz), 720p (24/30/60Hz), and 480p video signals.
- HDCP 2.3: HDCP 2.3 is supported by all of the TV's HDMI inputs. HDCP 2.3 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All four HDMI inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). 4:2:2 (30/60fps) and 4:2:0 (60fps) are also supported by all HDMI inputs. With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- 3.5mm AV Input: In addition to HDMI connectivity, there is also a 3.5mm AV input for connection of an analog audio/video component. There are no standard composite or component video inputs.
- RF-Coaxial Input: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Clear QAM tuners with an RF-coaxial input, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
Picture Adjustments: The TV offers a variety of screen, picture, and video adjustments to maximize image quality.
- Screen Modes: The Screen Modes feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Choose from Wide Zoom, Normal, Full, Zoom, or Auto Wide. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
- Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes - Standard, Vivid, Cinema, Game, Graphics, Photo, Custom, or Dolby Vision (Bright or Dark).
- Advanced Video Settings: The Advanced Video Settings menu offers further adjustment of the TV's video image.
- Brightness: You can increase or decrease the brightness of an image by adjusting the TV's Brightness (luminance level), Contrast (white level), Gamma (light & dark balance), Black Level, and Black Adjust (stronger contrast).
- Color: You can tailor the color of an image by adjusting the TV's Color (saturation level), Hue (green & red tones), Color Temperature (white balance), Color Space (color reproduction range), or Live Color (improves vivid colors).
- Clarity: You can improve the clarity of an image by adjusting the TV's Sharpness (picture detail), Reality Creation (increases clarity), Resolution (increases detail), Smooth Gradation (prevents false contours) and Noise reduction (removes noise).
- Motion: Activate Sony's Motionflow technology to reduce motion blur and judder. CineMotion provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content, like Blu-ray & DVD.
- Panel Settings: The following settings are used to prevent image retention.
- Pixel Shift: Moves the diplayed image at regular intervals to preven image retention. This feature should always be turned on.
- Panel Refresh: Manually perform a panel refresh when image retention is particulary noticeable. Sony recommends doing this once a year (but no more than once a year unless needed). Panel Refrresh takes approximately 1 hour to complete.
Light Sensor & Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE): The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes.
Live Color Technology: Powered by an image processor using an algorithm specially developed by Sony, Live Color is able to reproduce incredibly vivid colors on screen. With four user-adjustable settings available (High/Medium/Low/Off), you can choose just how vivid you want your images to be. Whether it's a brilliant blue sky or a bright red rose, everything stands out so much more with Live Color.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
Netflix Calibrated Mode: Netflix has been actively investing in the production of original programming using the latest video image standards, and has developed Netflix Calibrated Mode in conjunction with Sony to ensure picture quality preservation. This mode was specially developed to reproduce the same picture quality as a studio evaluation Master for television in order to preserve the filmmaker's vision and intent.
CalMAN Ready (by SpectraCal): To address color variations from the production process, the Master Series is ready to use Portrait Displays' high-performance CalMAN auto-calibration software. This allows an unprecedented level of calibration and the ability to fine tune adjustments simply not possible through conventional picture settings. It delivers high-fidelity color reproduction that's true to the original TV signal and can adapt to the subtlest changes in color that may occur over time. The Master Series is CalMAN ready, allowing customers to benefit from software used by visual creators in post-production, quality-control workflows, further demonstrating our commitment to deliver pictures with profaessional-grade color calibrated accuracy in the home.
Note: Addition gear is required to use the CalMAN auto-calibration software - including a Windows PC (running the CalMAN software), a SpectrCal C6 Colorimeter (or equivalent), and a Pattern Generator.
PIP (Picture-in-Picture): The PIP (Picture-in-Picture) function lets you watch the TV's over-the-air tuner or an HDMI source input in a small window on-screen, while viewing an Android TV app (like Netflix or Amazon).
Acoustic Surface Audio Technology: Taking advantage of the OLED's backlight-less structure, Sony developed new Acoustic Surface sound technology. The Acoustic Surface technology lends to the cutting-edge design of Sony's OLED TV by doing away with conventional speakers usually located around the TV. Unlike most TV speakers that fire downward, sound comes to you from the entire screen, immersing you in exciting new entertainment experiences. Two actuators behind the TV vibrate the screen to create sound that's truly engaging. Thanks to this ingenious design, the entire screen resonates with rich sound emanating directly from the screen itself; there are also two rear-firing subwoofers positioned on the back-panel. This allows a perfect unification of picture and sound unattainable by conventional TVs. It produces a wide sound and image synchronization from all angles, even off to the sides. Together with OLED's exceptionally wide viewing angle, the TV offers unmatched visual and aural experience regardless of viewing position.
Note: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
TV Center Speaker Mode: You can use the Sony Master Series TV as a center speaker and hear dialog, vocals and instruments with exceptional clarity. Simply connect your AV receiver's center channel speaker output to the binding post terminals on back of the the Sony Master Series TV to transform it into a high-quality center speaker. And thanks to Sony's Acoustic Surface Audio+ technology, you'll hear every word and note from movies and concerts directly from the screen. The TV's center speaker is rated at 8-ohms and 100 watts.
Sony Sound Technologies: The Sony Master Series OLED TV utilizes a variety of proprietary Sony technologies to enhance and optimize sound quality.
- S-Force Front Surround: S-Force Front Surround mimics the way the brain correlates sound sources to create proper volume, time lag, and sound wave spectrum; using only left and right speaker channels. By naturally emulating three-dimensional sound fields, you'll enjoy rich, high-fidelity audio across a wider listening area.
- ClearAudio+: ClearAudio+ fine-tunes TV sound for an immersive experience that seems to surround you. Hear music, dialog, and surround effects with greater clarity and separation, whatever you're watching.
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE): Low-resolution Internet video and other heavily compressed audio files don't always sound so great. A large amount of information gets thrown away when digital audio is compressed. With Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) technology, lost frequency components (especially high frequencies) are restored for natural sound with a more spacious feel.
- Clear Phase: Sony uses a powerful computer model to analyze and compensate for inaccuracies in speaker response. It does this by "sampling" the speaker frequency with higher precision. This information is fed back to cancel out any peaks or dips in the speaker's natural response; resulting in pure, natural audio with smooth, even reproduction of all frequencies.
Other Audio Settings: The Sony Master Series OLED TV also features several audio settings to help tailor the sound to your preference, application, and source.
- EQ: The TV offers four EQ preset sound modes - Standard, Cinema, Music, and Sports. The TV is also equipped with a 7-band EQ (125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
- Voice Zoom & Night Mode: The Voice Zoom feature makes voices clearer by lowering background sound. Night mode provides a clear sound at a low volume levels.
- Volume Offset & Auto Volume: Volume Offset adjusts the volume level of the current input relative to other inputs. The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): The Enhanced Audio Return Channel within the television's HDMI 3 input enables the TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an AV receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your AV receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. eARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your eARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI eARC input.
- The audio from the TV's tuner, HDMI inputs, USB ports, and Android TV apps can pass as Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digital Plus; as well as 2ch, 5.1ch, and 7.1ch PCM. Dolby Atmos will be supported via a future firmware update (not ETA).
- Analog connected & DLNA compliant devices will be output audio at 2ch PCM only.
Note: Your AV receiver or soundbar will also have to support eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) to accommodate the playback of these high resolution audio formats. If your AV receiver or soundbar only supports ARC (Audio Return Channel), audio playback will be limited to Dolby Digital, DTS, and 5.1ch/2ch PCM.
Audio Outputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Sony Master Series OLED offers 3.5mm analog and optical digital audio outputs, as well as Bluetooth A2DP.
- Digital Audio (Dolby Digital/DTS): The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, HDMI inputs, and USB ports on the TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via RCA.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs.
- Bluetooth A2DP: The TV supports Bluetooth A2DP, allowing you to stream audio from the television's built-in and connected sources to a Bluetooth-enabled set of headphones or speakers (only one headphone, one speaker, or one pair of speakers can be connected). Bluetooth headphone volume level can be controlled from both the TV's remote and headphones. AV Sync allows you to adjust the delay between the picture and sound. Sony doesn't guarantee compatibility with all models of Bluetooth headphones.
Note: You can setup the TV to output sound from the built-in speakers and the optical digital output (2ch PCM only). You cannot output sound from the TV speakers and other combinations of audio outputs.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony Master Series OLED supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection you gain access to Android TV and Google Play, as well as content stored on your network computer. You also get the ability to stream content from your Android or Apple iOS mobile device to the TV. In addition, the TV supports WiFi Direct for wireless connectivity between WiFi enabled devices without a router.
- Ethernet Jack: The Sony TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer. A back cover has to be removed to access the Ethernet port.
- Built-in WiFi: The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi (802.11ac; 2.4/5GHz) that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n or better recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security; a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router is recommended for 4K streaming.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
Note: Sony recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
Android TV w/ Google Play: The Sony OLED TV is equipped with Android's PIE (9.0) operating system and incorporates Android TV with access to a wide variety of apps from Google Play which have been optimized for playback on the big screen. Android TV gives you access to over 5,000 movie, music, sports, and other entertainment apps (subscription, rental, or purchase fees may apply). Click here to discover the full collection of Android TV Apps from Google Play. Not all Google Play apps will be Android TV compatible. More applications and streaming services will be available in the future. Popular apps include -
- Movies & TV Shows: The Sony 4K OLED TV supports the new HEVC/H.265 and VP9 codecs that are needed for a variety of current and forthcoming 4K & 4K HDR video services - like Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Vudu, YouTube, Google Play Movies/TV, PlayStation Video, FandangoNow, and other providers. You can also watch standard definition and high definition movies and TV shows from Hulu, HBO, Starz, ShowTime, and more. In addition, you get live TV programming from PlayStation Vue & Sling Television; as well as on-demand network content ABC, FOX, & NBC.
- Music & Radio: You'll be able to listen to online music and internet radio from Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, TuneIn, Deezer, YouTube Music, and more.
- Sports, News, & Weather: Get scores, news, and highlights from ESPN, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB.TV, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, and more. You'll also get news and weather infromation from CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox, AccuWeather, and The Weather Network.
- Games: Download select video games from Google Play and play them on the big screen without the need for any game console. You can connect up to four wireless gamepads (sold separately) for multi-player gaming. Google Play Games even syncs your progress and achievements across your devices, so you can start playing on your Android smartphone or tablet and then move to the Sony TV when you get home.
- 4K & 4K HDR network streaming requires a network speed of 20Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router (or better) for 4K streaming.
- Make sure the Sony television has the latest software/firmware updates installed.
Chromecast built-in: Chromecast built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android (OS 4.4.2+) or Apple iOS (8.0+) device to the Sony TV. Now you can cast your favorites movies or TV shows (on Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Google Play, HBO Now, PlayStation Vue and more); your favorite music and radio stations (on Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, YouTube Music, and more); Sports highlights (on ESPN, NBC, CBS, and more); plus photos & videos (on YouTube, Google Photos, and more) from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device to the Sony TV. For a list of all compatible Chromecast Built-in apps click here.
Apple Certification: The Sony TV offers support for Apple TV (available firmware upadte) and AirPlay 2, so you can enjoy your iTune Movies & TV shows, as well as mirror your Apple iOS device on the TV.
- Apple TV: The Sony TV now offers Apple TV (available firmware update) with support for iTunes Movies & TV Shows. With the new Apple TV app on the Sony TV, you'll be able to access your existing iTunes library and browse the iTunes Store to buy or rent from a selection of hundreds of thousands of movies and TV episodes (including the largest selection of 4K/HDR movies).
- AirPlay 2: With support for AirPlay 2, you will be able to wirelessly stream content (including videos, photos, music, podcasts, and more) directly from your Apple iPhone/iPad (iOS 11.4 and newer) or Mac computer (OS X 10.13.2 and newer) to the Sony TV's big screen - all without the need for an Apple TV or additional wired connection.
Vewd Web Browser: You can download and install the Vewd Web Browser to access select web content through the Sony TV. The web browser also allows you to enter URLs and do basic keyword searches, so you can browse select websites (text-based only). The Vewd Web Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use the Android TV apps. Some web-pages may not be supported and too large for download. The browsing experience may not be the same as it is on your computer. The web browser is not compatible with Flash video and Java applications. E-commerce, for purchasing products online is not supported. ActiveX is not supported.
Media Streaming: The Sony TV allows you to stream a variety of audio, video, and photo content from USB mass storage class devices and DLNA certified devices. Compatible media formats include MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/FLAC music files, MPEG/MP4/AVI/MKV/MOV/Xvid/WMA video files, and JPEG photo files.
- DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo , music, and video files stored on your Windows 7/8/10 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server/Android device) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or WiFi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
- Triple USB Ports: The Sony TV features three USB type-A ports (two 2.0/one 3.0) for sharing your photos or videos, and listening to music from a connected USB MSC (Mass Storage Class) compliant device that is formatted in FAT 16/32, exFAT, or NTFS. Even 4K photos & videos that you've downloaded to your USB-enabled device can be played back on the TV in Ultra-HD 4K. The USB ports will also charge your connected devices (max: 5V, 500mA/900mA). An external HDD (hard disk drive) may require a separate external power supply.
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Remote Control: The remote offers soft push-button control and features a built-in mic for voice recognition. The built-in microphone provides voice control of select Android TV functions through the built-in Google Assistant. The remote even has dedicated Google Play & Netflix buttons, so you can access your Netflix movies and TV shows quicker. The remote control operates the TV via Bluetooth, but can also be programmed to operate other AV components, including your satellite receiver or cable box, via IR through the setup menu.
Digital Voice Assistant Control: The Sony Master Series OLED TV will support voice control of select functions through the built-in Google Assistant & optional Amazon Alexa enabled devices via a wireless network connection.
- Google Assistant: The Sony TV supports the Google Assistant through its Android operating system and the TV's built-in far-field mic or the included IR remote's built-in mic. You can simply trigger the Google Assistant by saying "Ok Google" into the TV's far-field microphone or by pressing the mic button on the remote and then speaking into the microphone after hearing an audible prompt. You can ask the Google Assistant to turn volume up/down, change channels and inputs, search content on select built-in Android TV apps, and control basic playback functions. In addition to TV voice commands, you can use the Google Assistant to control connected smart home devices and other Google Home enabled devices. The Google Assistant can also be used to find answers for many of your daily questions through Google's advanced search engine. The TV also supports voice control through the Google Home family of wireless speakers (sold separately - see Accessories tab) and other Google Assistant enabled devices (sold separately - see Accessories tab).
- Amazon Alexa: Alexa-enabled devices (including the Amazon Echo family of speakers, sold separately - see Accessories tab) will be able to control key functions of the Sony TV. With this new feature you can simply use your voice to turn the Sony TV on or off, change channels, change inputs, control volume, and control playback functions of select streaming content. Click here for setup instructions.
Remote Apps: The Sony Master Series OLED offers remote control capability through your Android or Apple iOS device via the Android TV Remote App or Sony's Video & TV SideView Remote App.
- Android TV Remote: The Android TV Remote App (for Android OS 4.0+ and Apple iOS 9.0+) lets you use your compatible Android or Apple iOS device as a remote to control the Sony television's Android TV functions. Easily navigate content and play games on your compatible Android TV device. The remote app offers voice search and an on-screen keyboard, giving you full control of Android TV from your smartphone or tablet. Simply tap the on-screen mic button to start a voice search, or use the keyboard to input text on Android TV. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into your smartphone or tablet's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications.
- Video & TV SideView Remote: With the free Sony Video & TV SideView App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+), you can control the Sony TV and browse its content from your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The Video & TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony TV. You'll be able to search what's available to watch on broadcast stations and video on-demand apps. You can even pull up the TV's channel guide on your smartphone or tablet without interfering with the what you're watching on the TV. You also get to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. In addition, you can tweet about what you're watching from your mobile device or see what fellow fans are tweeting about in real time.
Smarthome Control: The Sony Master Series OLED TV can be integrated with smarthome devices that are compatible with Google Assistant (built-in), Apple HomeKit (future firmware update), and Harmony Hub (sold separately). Smarthome control requires that the Sony TV and all compatible devices be connected to the same WiFi wireless network.
- Google Assistant: The Sony TV's built-in microphone or the microphone on the included remote allow you to use the Google Assistant and your voice to control Google smarthome products (including Philips Hue & Nest) throughout your home. You can even view your Google smarthome compatible doorbell camera on the Sony TV's big screen.
- Apple HomeKit (future firmware udpate): Apple HomeKit lets you easily and securely control smarthome products using the Apple Home app or by asking Siri on your Apple iOS devices. The Sony TV can be added to the Apple Home app and included in scenes or automations with other HomeKit accessories. For example, you can create a "Movie Night" scene in the Home app to easily turn on your TV and dim the lights, and simply ask Siri to launch the scene. However, the Sony TV cannot be used to control your Apple HomeKit devices.
- Optional Harmony Hub: Enjoy home automation control directly from the Sony Android TV, via the Logitech Harmony Hub (596HMNYHUB, sold separately). Everything from lights (including Phillips Hue), thermostats (including Nest) and security cameras, to other home entertainment systems can now be controlled at the push of a button on the Sony TV's remote control.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a Blu-ray player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player: Automatically turns the BRAVIA Sync-compatible device on and switches the input to that device when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu. Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected device when the device starts to play
- AV Amplifier: Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on; this function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound. Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on. Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera: Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on. Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode. Controls menu operation, playback, and channel selection of the connected video camera through the TV's remote
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller (sold separately): If you have a Sony PlayStation 4, your DualShock 4 controller can become the TV's remote by downloading the BRAVIA TV Player app on your PlayStation 4 through the PlayStation Store. You'll also be able to control your PlayStation 4's on-screen user interface with the TV's remote.
Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the mouse and enter text with a compatible keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Serial Port: You can connect the 3.5mm serial port to an external control device (such as a computer or A/V control system) to control the TV's functions externally.
Content Search: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and Android TV apps.
- Program Guide: You can quickly find your preferred programs and the detailed program information. The current program information and weekly program guides for the next eight days are provided.
- Discover Button & Content Bar: You can use the remote's Discover button to search for content across platforms (TV Antenna, Android TV, Apps, etc.). Content is then displayed along the unobtrusive "Content Bar" at the bottom of the TV screen which quickly lets you find the movie, TV show, or video you're looking for. Call up the Content Bar and you can keep watching, while you scan through live TV, on demand, downloaded TV shows, and much more. You can even customize the Content Bar to show you the content you go to most often first.
- Android TV Recommendations: Personalized content recommendations from Google Play, YouTube and your apps appear automatically in the TV's home screen. So if you are having trouble figuring out what to watch, let Sony's Android TV recommend something for you and the family to watch.
- Voice Search: Simply activate the Voice Search function through the included remote control and built-in Google Assistant or the Android TV App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone/tablet. If you know what you want to watch, just say it into the device's microphone and the Sony television will find it within its Android TV and Google Play applications.
- Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows, movies, and music. Simply enter in the track title, album name, or movie title.
Action Menu: By pressing the "Action Menu" button on the remote, a menu appears and provides quick access to the functions that are available for the currently displayed screen, such as picture adjustment, sound adjustment, volume adjustment for the connected device (such as headphones), and display/audio change. The items in the menu differ depending on the selected screen.
Netflix Recommended: This Sony Master Series OLED is a Netflix Recommended TV. This is due to the fact that it offers a unique feature set which makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy. The Sony TV has an Instant On feature so the TV wakes and apps are ready to use right away. In addition, the TV turns on and launches Netflix with one press of the Netflix button on the included remote. Online apps, including Netflix, can resume quickly and return where you left off. Its Android TV interface enables easy navigation and switching between apps and inputs. There is even a Netflix Calibrated mode specially developed to reproduce the same picture quality as a studio evaluation Master for television in order to preserve the filmmaker's vision and intent.
Power Management Functions: This Sony TV incorporates advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony TV offers a TV timer and Sleep timer. The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference. The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password. You can also block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
Help Guide: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV also features an on-screen Help Guide for more detailed information.
Pedestal Stand w/ Cable Management: The included pedestal stand allows you to place the Sony Master Series OLED TV on top of a piece of AV furniture. The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand unattached and requires assembly. The TV and pedestal stand have been designed with Sony's "Soft Minimalism" concept, helping it blend in with your living space. The pedestal and the back-panel of the TV include covers to hide your cable connections for neat and clean installation. The TV and pedestal stand do not swivel. The television weighs 49.2 lbs with the pedestal feet attached.
Optional Wall Mount Bracket: The television can be wall mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). The TV has four threaded screw inserts that are spaced 300mm (h) x 300mm (v) apart. The threaded inserts will accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV screen is edged with a slim, narrow aluminum frame that maximizes the viewing area and looks beautiful on your wall. The TV weighs 41.2 lbs without the stand.Ventilation Clearance: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Sony Master Series OLED TV comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord which will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner. The AC power cord is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug which sits approximately 1.5625" from the wall.
The Sony MASTER Series XBR-55A9G replaces these items
- self-illuminating OLED panel with pixel-level dimming produces infinite picture contrast and absolute black
- X1 Ultimate processor and Pixel Contrast Booster produce Sony's finest OLED picture ever
- Acoustic Surface Audio+ makes the entire screen a speaker (98 watts total power)
6 questions already asked