About the Sony KDF-60XS955
Sony's "XS-Series" Grand Wega TVs offer enhanced picture, sound, and user controls for a richer, more cinematic viewing experience. The 60" KDF-60XS955 includes the "Live Color" color enhancement function, which improves blues and greens for more natural overall color without affecting reds and skin tones. The Advanced Menu lets videophiles easily make ultra-precise picture adjustments that are usually buried in restricted-access "service menus."
The KDF-60XS955 is your ticket to the digital TV revolution it receives over-the-air and cable High-Definition TV signals with no separate set-top box required. Each of the TV's three LCD image panels has over one million densely packed pixels, to create pictures that are incredibly smooth and flicker-free. XS-series Grand Wegas step up to adjustable Digital Reality Creation circuitry to upconvert all of your standard video signals to near-HD quality! You can fine-tune the amount of enhancement so that every signal gets a cleaner, smoother look.
You get a total of 8 A/V inputs, including two HD-compatible component video inputs and two HDMI digital A/V inputs. (HDMI jacks are showing up on a growing number of high-performance DVD players, set-top boxes, and A/V receivers.) A Memory Stick® slot lets you conveniently view digital photos in lifelike color and clarity, without turning on a PC!
The KDF-60XS955 also delivers surprisingly potent sound, courtesy of Sony's "S-Master" digital amplifier driving the built-in 5-speaker system. It's great for when you don't want to turn on your entire A/V system, but still want clear, dynamic sound.
Tip: To find out if HDTV signals are available in your area, visit this helpful site and punch in your zip code.
Large Item Special Shipping: Because of its large size, this item will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Delivery is available to physical addresses in the lower 48 states. (Sorry, no P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders.) Transit time is 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply for delivery after business hours or on a weekend, or if the item must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs.
Note: Free return shipping not available with this model.
- High-Definition TV receives and decodes digital standard-definition and HDTV signals from over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required) and cable TV service (CableCARD required)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- 1386 x 788 pixels (all signals displayed at 788p)
- 125°(H) x 55°(V) viewing angle
- high-contrast protective screen with anti-reflective coating
- Wega Engine video processing
- adjustable DRC MultiFunction V1 (upconverts non-HD signals)
- Twin View 2-tuner Picture-in-Picture (split-screen)
- built-in stereo speakers
- 30-watt S-Master® 1-bit digital amplifier (5 x 2, plus 20 watts for woofer)
- multibrand remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 8 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 4 S-video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 2 HD-compatible component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 2 HDMI digital audio/video inputs
- 2 RF inputs (1 Antenna, 1 Cable)
- Memory Stick slot for viewing digital photos
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- Energy Star® compliant
- 66-1/4"W x 39-11/16"H x 20-1/2"D
- weight: 113.5 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Contact your local cable provider for details regarding the availability and costs of CableCARD-related services
- MFR # KDF-60XS955
What's in the box:
- 60" Widescreen LCD projection TV
- Wireless remote control (RM-Y915)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- "Features and Notes on Viewing your LCD Projection TV"
- Note on cleaning the rear cover
- Warranty card
- Required Public Statement for GPL/LGPL Licensed Software Used in this Television
- Note regarding removing the remote and manual before discarding the packaging (attached to TV)
Sony KDF-60XS955 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony KDF-60XS955
Features & specs
|Resolution (pixels)||1386 x 788|
|Picture In Picture||2 Tuner|
|Audio Output Power||5 x 2 + 20 x 1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Type of Warranty Service||---|
|Power On (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Standby (Manufacturer)||Not Given|
|Footprint Width (inches)||37-7/8|
|Footprint Depth (inches)||18-1/4|
|Analog Inputs & Outputs|
|Digital Inputs & Outputs|
HDTV: The Sony KDF-60XS955 Grand Wega Rear Projection LCD TV has a built-in ATSC tuner which will receive over-the-air and cable High Definition signals without the need for a separate DTV set-top box. With its HD-compatible component video and HDMI inputs, the TV can also display programs in High Definition from high-end DVD players and set-top boxes. In addition, the TV also includes an NTSC tuner for analog broadcasts, and is CableCARD ready.
CableCARD: CableCARD provides cable subscribers with access to digitally encrypted cable channels without the need for a separate set-top box. With CableCARD, you can receive both standard definition and high definition programming. The CableCARD, provided by the cable TV company, inserts into the TV's rear panel CableCARD slot.
Native Resolution: Since the KDF-60XS955 has a native display resolution of 1386 x 788, all input signals will be displayed at 1386 x 788. The TV has three 0.87" Wide XGA LCD panels, one for each RGB (red, green, blue) signal that each resolve 1.09 million pixels to deliver a clear, crisp, precise picture.
WEGA Engine System: Sony's Proprietary WEGA Engine System delivers superb picture quality from any video source by minimizing the signal deterioration caused by digital to analog conversion and stabilizing the signal processing. This engine features 3 key technologies engineered and designed by Sony:
- Composite Component Processor (CCP-X): The first step in the digital processing system, Composite Component Processor (CCP-X), which enhances the input signal-to-noise ratio by chroma decoder digital processing.
- DRC (Digital Reality Creation)-MF V1: Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal's NTSC waveform with the near-HD equivalent by digital mapping processing. The DRC Palette option lets you customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) to create up to three custom palettes.
- Multi-Image Driver (MID-XU): The Multi-Image Driver allows you to watch two programs side-by-side (Twin View) with the ability to zoom in on one picture and listen to the program in the selected window. You can watch pictures from two different sources (1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i) simultaneously. Only the left Twin View window can display 1080i, 720p and 480p sources.
DRC Modes: You can choose from the following DRC advanced video options to create a high-resolution picture with 4x density for high quality sources, such as a DVD player or satellite receiver:
- High Density: recommended for fast moving images
- Progressive: recommended for still images and text
- CineMotion: provides an optimized display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3-2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
DRC Palette: The DRC Palette allows you to customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) for up to three input sources. For example, you can create one Custom setting to optimize your cable input and another for your DVD player's picture. Note: This feature is not available for 480p, 720p, or 1080i sources.
BN Smoother: To reduce noise caused by the digital video encoding and decoding process, you can activate the BN Smoother feature. It is especially effective for watching a DVD or digital TV picture. You can select High, Medium, Low, or Off. Note: This feature is not available for 480p, 720p, or 1080i sources, or when using Twin View, Freeze, or Memory Stick.
Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the DRC Modes, DRC Palette, and the BN Smoother, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following:
- Live Color: select High, Medium, Low, or Off to enhance the blue and green color.
- Clear White: select On or Off to emphasize the white colors.
- Detail Enhancer: select High, Medium, Low, or Off to sharpen picture definition.
- Black Corrector: select High, Medium, Low, or Off to enhance the black colors and give the picture strong contrast.
- Gamma Corrector: select High, Medium, Low, or Off to adjust the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture.
- White Balance: select and adjust R-Gain, G-Gain, B-Gain, R-Bias, G-Bias, and B-Bias options, or select Initial Set to restore factory default.
S-master Full Digital Amplifier: The built-in 30-watt S-master 1-bit full digital amplifier delivers superb clear dialog and reproduces the original sound quality while minimizing any sound fragmentation or jitter noise. The amplifier delivers 5 watts per channel to the left and right speakers and 20 watts to the woofer.
Optical Engine: The Sony optical engine provides a high-resolution picture from corner to corner across the entire screen. It also renders an image with high-brightness utilizing a 132W UHP (Ultra High Pressure) Lamp (Model XL-2200) that you can easily replace. Note: No lamp life information is provided.
Freeze Function: This function allows you to temporarily capture a program's picture. The TV switches to Twin View mode and displays the "frozen" picture on the right, while the current program continues on the left. This function only works in normal view mode; if you are in Twin View mode already, it will not work.
Favorite Channel Preview: This feature allows you to preview up to 16 favorite channels without leaving the current channel. The preview is shown in the upper right corner with the favorite channel list shown below, while the current channel appears in the left 3/4 of the screen.
Video Mode: You can select Vivid, Standard, or Pro. The Vivid setting enhances picture contrast and sharpness. The Standard setting displays a standard picture for normal viewing environments. The Pro setting displays a picture with minimum enhancements. You can set a Video mode independently for each video input.
Wide Screen Modes: You can select a default screen mode to use for 4:3 sources. While watching a channel, you can use the Wide Mode button to cycle through the wide screen modes. If the 4:3 Default is set to anything but Off, the wide screen mode setting changes only for the current channel. When you change channels, the wide mode is automatically replaced with the 4:3 Default setting. You can choose from the following screen wide screen mode options:
- Wide Zoom: enlarges the center portion of the picture and stretches the left and right edges to fill the screen
- Normal: returns the 4:3 picture to normal mode with side bars to fill the screen
- Full: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the wide screen
- Zoom: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally and vertically to an equal aspect ratio that fills the screen
Power Saving: You can view the picture with reduced power consumption by selecting the Power Saving mode. The picture becomes darker, but the black level is enhanced. To view the picture without the benefit of Power Saving, you can select "Standard" mode.
Steady Sound: This feature stabilizes the volume level, preventing unwanted blasts of sound during commercials.
Surround Effects: To enhance the sound, you can select one of three surround effect modes:
- Virtual Dolby: for surround sound effects for Dolby Surround-encoded programs only
- TruSurround: adds a three-dimensional sound to stereo programs
- Simulated: adds a surround-like effect to mono-channel programs.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, or 90 minutes.
On Timers: This unit has two timers that can be set by day, time, duration, and channel.
Parental Control: V-chip technology allows parents to block unsuitable programming from young viewers. You can select a general age-based category (Child, Youth, Young Adult) or a Custom category in which you select from the specific USA or Canadian TV Ratings options. Parental control is protected by a 4-digit password.
Optional TV Stand: The TV can be mounted on the optional Sony SU-GW-12 stand (item # 158SUGW12) which raises the unit approximately 17" to an ideal viewing height.
Memory Stick Viewer: This television has a front-panel Memory Stick slot that is compatible with JPEG images taken with Sony digital still cameras and MPEG1 movies taken with Sony digital cameras and camcorders. The slot will accept Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo without having to use a Memory Stick Duo adapter. The Memory Stick viewer is compatible with Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO (up to 1GB), Memory Stick Duo and PRO Duo (up to 1GB), and Memory Stick with Memory Select function.
Memory Stick Index: The Memory Stick Index displays up to 15 thumbnail images of the files stored on a Memory Stick. You can individually highlight and display any image in the Index.
Viewing Still Images: When viewing a still image, you can rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise. In addition, you can zoom in and out and pan up/down/left/right to view a portion of the picture.
Playing Movies: When viewing a movie on a Memory Stick, you can enlarge the movie window for easier viewing. During playback, you can pause the movie or move to the previous or next movie on the Memory Stick.
Slide Show: You can view JPEG images or MPEG1 movies in a Slide Show. During Slide Show playback, you can choose one of the following interval speeds: Fast (3 seconds), Medium (6 seconds), Slow (12 seconds), or Manual Advance. If you desire to have music playing during the slide show, you can start playing back a built-in MP3 file of piano music.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including VCRs, DVD players, cable boxes, and satellite receivers.
HDMI Inputs: The KDF-60XS955 features two HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) inputs which provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between the TV and any HDMI-equipped device, such as a DTV set-top box, DVD player or A/V receiver. HDMI supports enhanced or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio. You can also connect a DVI-equipped device to the TV via an HDMI-DVI adapter cable. Since a DVI connection does not output audio, you will also need to connect an audio cable from the DVI-equipped device to the TV. One of the two HDMI inputs has an audio input.
Component Video Inputs: The two component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i signals.
Audio Out: The TV has a rear-panel audio output, which consists of left and right RCA audio jacks. Using the menu, you can choose Fixed or Variable audio output. The audio jacks are only operable when the TV's built-in speakers are turned off.
Optical Output: You can use the TV's optical digital audio output to connect a Dolby Digital/PCM-compatible digital audio device, such as an audio amplifier.
Front Panel Inputs: For connecting a game console or camcorder, the TV includes front panel inputs (behind a drop-down panel) with stereo audio and composite and S-Video jacks. For mono audio connections, you should use the left channel input.
Control S: Control S allows you to control the TV and other Sony equipment with one remote control. There are two Control S connections; both 3.5mm mini-jacks, one in and one out.