About the Sony XBR-75Z8H
Sony's finest 75" LED TV for 2020
Sony's finest 75" LED TV for 2020
Over the past two years I've had the chance to spend time with some of the world's finest TVs — both 4K and 8K. If you desire a truly reference-quality picture, and can fit a 75" screen in your room and budget, Sony's XBR-75Z8H provides that extra level of lifelike detail that sets 8K TVs apart from even the best 4K models.
Sony chose 8K for this model and its 85" big brother in order to get close to the pixel density of their $45,000 30" 4K pro monitors, which are used in many Hollywood post-production suites. The 75" XBR-75Z8H provides an immersive, studio-quality viewing experience in your living room.
Upscale everything you watch to near-8K quality
For their latest 8K TVs, Sony added performance tweaks to their most powerful video processor ever — the Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate. It's able to identify, analyze and optimize hundreds of objects in any video frame, rather than applying generic enhancement to the entire frame. So it can make precise adjustments to the color, contrast and sharpness of individual elements, creating a much more natural looking picture.
And the processor's Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR function ensures that sunsets and other colorful scenes display seamless gradations, without any color banding.
Dramatic contrast, wide viewing angles, and clear motion
A key to the XBR-75Z8H's exceptional contrast is Sony's full-array direct-lit LED technology. With up to twenty times the screen contrast range of conventional edge-lit LED TVs, the '75Z8H produces deep, accurate black levels and incredible contrast — essential for accurately reproducing HDR-enhanced content.
At the same time, Sony's X-Wide Angle technology addresses LCD's well-known viewing angle limitations. The '75Z8H maintains impressive contrast, brightness, and color saturation even for viewers seated well to either side of the screen. We've seen it in action and it really works.
Sony's X-Motion Clarity™ with 120Hz refresh rate is the smartest motion processing solution we know of. While many TVs employ a blinking backlight to reduce motion blur, X-Motion Clarity takes advantage of the XBR-75Z8H's multi-zone full-array backlight to localize the blinking to just the part of the screen where the motion is happening. That eliminates motion blur without dimming overall picture brightness.
A calibrated picture for even greater accuracy
I love watching Netflix's 4K content on my 4K/HDR TV, and I can't wait to check out the Netflix Calibrated Mode on Sony's latest 8K TVs. This mode works with the set's built-in Netflix app, and allows viewers to enjoy the same picture quality at home that Netflix's producers see on their evaluation monitors.
Also, this TV is compatible with CalMAN® auto-calibration software, a standard tool for post-production and quality control in the movie/TV industry. It provides deep-level calibration with the ability to fine-tune adjustments not available with conventional picture settings. You'll achieve professional-grade color accuracy that's true to the original TV signal — without having to pay a pro to do it. See requirements in Product Highlights section below.
Two ways to use voice commands to simplify control
The XBR-75Z8H's built-in Android operating system lets you easily log in to your Google ID to access a huge collection of apps, games and content from Google Play. Use the Chromecast Built-in feature to stream movies, pictures, and TV shows from your iOS or Android-based phone, or from a laptop.
Sony also lets you decide how — or if — you want the XBR-75Z8H to respond to voice commands. In the setup menu you can choose to have the built-in Google Assistant only activate when you press the mic button on the remote and speak into it. Or, for truly hands-free voice control, set the TV to access Google Assistant by saying "OK Google" when you're within range of the TV's built-in far-field microphone.
You can adjust the volume, change channels or inputs, and control other basic TV functions. Google Assistant can also answer everyday questions and control connected smart home devices. This TV is also compatible with Amazon Alexa voice control assistants.
A firmware update coming later this year will add support for Apple® AirPlay® 2, so you'll be able to stream content wirelessly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® to the biggest screen in your home.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV.
- 74.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- 8K screen resolution (7680 x 4320 pixels)
- Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate includes powerful real-time image processing for ultra-realistic pictures
- 8K X-Reality™ PRO upscales images to near-8K clarity while working at the pixel level to clean the picture and reduce noise
- Object-based Super Resolution enhances the resolution of on-screen objects individually for exceptional picture accuracy and detail
- 8K HDR Super Bit Mapping™ employs 14-bit processing to minimize color banding and create smooth transitions between shades of a color
- High Dynamic Range (Dolby Vision®, HDR10, HLG) extends picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content
- full-array direct-lit LED backlight with local dimming
- 8K X-tended Dynamic Range PRO™ delivers a stunning contrast range with brighter highlights and deeper blacks
- X-Wide Angle technology maintains accurate color and contrast when viewing from the sides
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
- X-Motion Clarity™ blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate)
- Netflix Calibrated Mode mimics the settings on Netflix's mastering monitors to ensure an accurate picture
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced 4K/HDR content (via future firmware update)
- CalMAN® autocalibration capability (requires Windows PC to run CalMAN software, SpectraCal C6 colorimeter or equivalent, and a video pattern generator)
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- Android TV™ with Chromecast built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android™ or iOS® device, or laptop
- compatible with Apple® HomeKit and AirPlay 2 to allow wireless streaming from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac (via future firmware update)
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- 4 HDMI 2.1
- all inputs are HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to copy-protected 4K video sources
- to view 4K and HDR content from connected sources, use a high-bandwidth HDMI cable
- supports eARC/ARC
- 1 composite video (3.5mm A/V minijack — adapter cable required)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Toslink optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- pair of speaker binding post terminals for connecting to an A/V receiver when using the TV's Center Speaker Mode
- Ethernet port for the fastest, most secure internet connection
- 3 USB inputs (two 2.0, one 3.0) for connecting a thumb drive or hard drive
- 6-speaker Acoustic Multi-Audio system with Frame Tweeters to integrate the sound with the picture (60 watts total)
- Acoustic Auto Calibration microphone in the remote measures your room's "sound" and optimizes settings
- Center Speaker Mode allows dialogue, effects and music to come directly from the screen, complementing an existing home theater system
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- the TV's built-in speakers and audio outputs are disabled when streaming audio to Bluetooth headphones or speakers
- can send Dolby Atmos® audio to the TV's speakers, or to an A/V receiver via HDMI/eARC, when using the TV's HDMI inputs or built-in streaming apps
- backlit Voice Remote with built-in microphone for voice commands
- a separate far-field microphone for voice commands is built into the TV
- dimensions: 66-7/8"W x 38-7/8"H x 14-1/8"D with stand; 66-1/4"W x 38-1/2"H x 3-3/8"D without stand
- weight: 110 lbs. with stand; 105.6 lbs. without stand
- detachable dual-footer stand ("footprint" is 66-7/8"W x 14-1/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included, see Accessories)
- VESA mounting hole pattern: 400mm x 400mm
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XBR75Z8H
EnergyGuide:View EnergyGuide label
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony XBR-75Z8H
Features & specs