About the Sony MASTER Series XBR-85Z9G
Sony's MASTER Series TVs, now in 8K
Sony's MASTER Series TVs, now in 8K
People have asked me if 8K looks twice as good as 4K. That's hard to say — it certainly looks spectacular. Besides quadrupling the screen pixel count of 4K models, the 8K MASTER Series XBR-85Z9G includes Sony's most powerful video processing ever, as well as their most advanced backlighting system.
Sony chose 8K for their largest MASTER Series TVs in order to get close to the pixel density of their $45,000 30" 4K pro monitors, which are used in many Hollywood post-production suites. The 85" XBR-85Z9G lets you enjoy an immersive, studio-quality picture in your living room.
Upscale everything you watch to near-8K quality
For these new MASTER Series TVs, Sony added 8K tweaks to their most powerful video processor ever — the Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate. It's able to identify, analyze and optimize hundreds of objects in any video frame, rather than applying generic enhancement to the entire frame. So it can make precise adjustments to the color, contrast and sharpness of individual elements, creating a much more natural looking picture.
And the processor's Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR function ensures that sunsets and other colorful scenes display smooth gradations, without color banding.
Amazing picture contrast, plus wider viewing angles
A key to the XBR-85Z9G's exceptional contrast is Sony's Full-Array direct-lit LED Backlight Master Drive™ technology. With twenty times the screen contrast range of conventional edge-lit LED TVs, the '85Z9G produces deep, accurate black levels and incredible contrast — essential for accurately reproducing HDR-enhanced content.
At the same time, Sony's X-Wide Angle optical panel technology addresses LCD's well-known viewing angle limitations. The '85Z9G maintains impressive contrast, brightness, and color saturation even for viewers seated well to either side of the screen.
Two ways to calibrate your picture for even greater accuracy
I love watching Netflix's 4K content on my 4K/HDR TV, and I can't wait to check out the Netflix Calibrated Mode on Sony's MASTER Series 8K TVs. This mode works with the set's built-in Netflix app, and allows viewers to enjoy the same picture quality at home that Netflix's producers see on their evaluation monitors.
Also, MASTER Series TVs are compatible with CalMAN® auto-calibration software, a standard tool for post-production and quality control in the movie/TV industry. It provides deep-level calibration with the ability to fine-tune adjustments not available with conventional picture settings. You'll achieve professional-grade color accuracy that's true to the original TV signal — without having to pay a pro to do it. See requirements in Product Highlights section below.
Tell this TV exactly what you want to watch
The XBR-85Z9G's built-in Android operating system lets you easily log in to your Google ID to access a huge collection of apps, games and content from Google Play. Use the Chromecast Built-in feature to stream movies, pictures, and TV shows from your iOS or Android-based phone, or from a laptop.
The included remote control lets you activate the built-in Google Assistant simply by pressing the mic button and speaking into the microphone. Use it to adjust the volume, change channels or inputs, and control other basic TV functions. Search for a particular movie or actor just by saying the name. Google Assistant can also answer everyday questions and control connected smart home devices. The '85Z9G is also compatible with Amazon Alexa voice control assistants.
One of the coolest new features for 2019 is support for Apple® AirPlay® 2, so you'll be able to stream content wirelessly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac to the biggest screen in your home.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV.
- 84.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- 8K screen resolution (7680 x 4320 pixels)
- Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate includes powerful real-time image processing for ultra-realistic pictures
- 8K X-Reality™ PRO upscales images to near-8K clarity while working at the pixel level to clean the picture and reduce noise
- Object-based Super Resolution enhances the resolution of on-screen objects individually for exceptional picture accuracy and detail
- 8K HDR Super Bit Mapping™ employs 14-bit processing to minimize color banding and create smooth transitions between shades of a color
- High Dynamic Range (Dolby Vision®, HDR10, HLG) extends picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content
- full-array direct-lit LED Backlight Master Drive™ combines a dense LED structure with calibrated beam control to ensure precise picture contrast and deep black levels
- 8K X-tended Dynamic Range PRO™ 20x delivers 20 times the screen contrast range of conventional edge-lit LED TVs
- X-Wide Angle technology maintains accurate color and contrast when viewing from the sides
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
- X-Motion Clarity™ blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate)
- Netflix Calibrated Mode mimics the settings on Netflix's mastering monitors to ensure an accurate picture
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced 4K/HDR content (via future firmware update)
- CalMAN® autocalibration capability (requires Windows PC to run CalMAN software, SpectraCal C6 colorimeter or equivalent, and a video pattern generator)
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- Android TV™ with Chromecast built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android™ or iOS® device, or laptop
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- compatible with Apple® HomeKit and AirPlay® 2 to allow wireless streaming from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac (via future firmware update)
- mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring with Miracast™ enabled phones and tablets
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
- 4 HDMI 2.1
- all inputs are HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources
- to view 4K and HDR content from connected sources, use a compatible high-bandwidth HDMI cable
- HDMI 3 input supports eARC
- 1 composite video (3.5mm A/V minijack — adapter cable required)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Toslink optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- pair of speaker binding post terminals for connecting to an A/V receiver when using the TV's Center Speaker Mode
- Ethernet port for a wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs (two 2.0, one 3.0) for connecting a thumb drive or hard drive
- 2.2 Acoustic Multi-Audio system uses front-firing speakers to convincingly integrate the sound with the picture (80 watts total)
- Center Speaker Mode allows dialogue, effects and music to come directly from the screen, complementing an existing home theater system
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- you can set up the TV to output sound from Bluetooth, the built-in speakers, and the headphone output at the same time
- Voice Remote with built-in microphone included
- detachable dual-footer stand ("footprint" is 61-3/4"W x 17-1/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 75-3/8"W x 45"H x 4-3/4"D (48-3/8"H x 17-1/8"D on stand)
- weight: 164.1 lbs. with stand; 158 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XBR85Z9G
More details on the Sony MASTER Series XBR-85Z9G
Features & specs