About the Sony ES STR-AZ7000ES
Modern A/V features meet time-tested Sony ES craftsmanship
Modern A/V features meet time-tested Sony ES craftsmanship
It's been several years since Sony released a home theater receiver. Now, they're roaring back with a whole new lineup, which marries cutting-edge audio/video processing with the Sony ES badge of performance and reliability.
The flagship STR-AZ7000ES comes loaded with modern A/V conveniences, like 8K and 4K video compatibility, advanced surround sound calibration, and multi-zone capability. A high-performance built-in DAC makes multichannel soundtracks and digital stereo music sources sound killer. And the receiver is built like a tank to reduce vibrations that could add noise to your system.
All the surround sound you can handle
With 13 channels of built-in high-powered amplification, you can set up your surround sound your way. Use all 13 channels for a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X Pro system for movies that will engulf you with sound. Sony's Digital Cinema Auto Calibration IX automatically sets the receiver's audio settings for optimum sound in your room. And their exclusive 360 Spatial Sound Mapping technology ensures three-dimensional, theater-like effects that seem to surround you.
Get rid of the extra wires
One of the most exciting features of the new Sony receivers is the ability to use wireless rear speakers and wireless subwoofers. If it's just not practical in your particular room to run wires for rear surrounds, you can use the SA-RS3S or SA-RS5 wireless rear speakers — no long runs of speaker wire required, but they will need to plug into AC power. The SA-SW3 or the SASW5 give you some handy wireless options for adding a subwoofer. (Again, these subs also require AC power.) For even more bass, pair two of the same subwoofers and feel the rumble!
One receiver, multiple zones
For stereo music in a separate room, you can configure the STR-AZ7000ES' surround back or height channels for music playback in a second zone. Then you can relax in your listening room or on your porch while others watch a movie with surround sound in the living room. Or use the line-level outputs for adding speakers in a second or third room with an additional receiver or amp.
Plus, this receiver's dual-zone HDMI switching lets you send video signals to a second TV, so you can catch up on your shows in the bedroom while the kids watch a movie in the living room.
ES sound quality from a variety of music sources
This receiver's newly designed digital section includes a high-performance 32-bit DAC to make the most of your digital music sources. You get plenty of options for playing music, too. Stream tunes from your phone or tablet through Bluetooth. Use Apple AirPlay 2 to play music directly over your Wi-Fi network from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer. Or use Chromecast built-in to stream content from the cloud to your receiver from a variety of compatible apps.
Works with Sonos
For wireless multi-zone music, this "Works with Sonos" certified receiver gives you even more options to choose from. You can tie your home theater into a whole-house audio system when you add a Sonos Port. Control the audio on your receiver using the Sonos app on your mobile device or computer for a whole-home Sonos experience. The app will even turn on the STR-AZ7000ES and select the correct input automatically.
Power and processing:
- 13-channel amplifier
- 140 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X Pro processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- Dolby Speaker Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X® create three-dimensional effects without height speakers
- IMAX® Enhanced reproduces the full dynamic range of specially encoded IMAX soundtracks from compatible sources
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration IX and 360 Spatial Sound Mapping calibrate the sound to match your room and speaker configuration for an expansive, immersive soundstage
- Sony's DSEE Ultimate accurately upscales audio to near-high-resolution sound quality
- built-in high-performance 32-bit DAC
- premium componentry meets ES standards for audio performance
- control the receiver with your smartphone using the Sony Music Center app
- compatible with Sony's SA-RS3S and SA-RS5 wireless rear speakers and SA-SW3 and SASW5 wireless subwoofers
Digital and streaming music options:
- Chromecast built-in for streaming over Wi-Fi with a wide range of compatible apps on your mobile device
- works with Google Assistant voice control devices (sold separately)
- Spotify® Connect lets you play music using the Spotify app on your mobile device (subscription required)
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music®
- supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- compatible with Sonos Port — receiver turns on automatically and sets the right input when selected in the app
- works as a Roon player (requires subscription and Roon Core running on your network)
- Roon Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS drive, or other compatible hardware
- three-room/three-source output
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching video content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- powered stereo output for Zone 2
- analog stereo audio outputs (variable) for Zones 2 and 3
- HDMI 2.1 audio/video switching: 7 in, 2 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- 4 rear-panel inputs support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video
- 1 front-panel input supports 4K video
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
- supports HDR10, Dolby Vision®, HLG, and IMAX Enhanced
- gaming-optimized video processing technologies for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) reduce or eliminate lag and frame tearing
- supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- eARC receives uncompressed surround sound signals including Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and DTS:X Pro via the HDMI connection with your compatible TV
- 2 composite video inputs
- 2 composite video outputs
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 4 analog stereo audio line-level inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 13.2-channel preamp outputs for use with optional external power amps
- outputs for 13 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height 1 L/R, Height 2 L/R, Height 3 L/R)
- front-panel USB port for firmware updates and system setting backup
- detachable power cable
- center channel enhancements include Center Speaker Lift Up, BRAVIA Acoustic Center Sync, and Dual Center Speaker
- intuitive on-screen user interface (via HDMI only)
- setup via the front panel, through the Graphical User Interface (GUI), or with a web browser
- remote control
- FM tuner
- built-in support for Control4, Crestron, Savant, and other home automation systems
- RS-232C and remote (IR) connections for use with optional third-party controllers
- three 12-volt trigger outputs for sending power commands to external gear, like a power amplifier or cooling fan
- Ethernet port for wired connectivity to your network
- 17"W x 7-5/8"H x 18-5/8"D (9-3/4"H with Wi-Fi antennas raised)
- weight: 48 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # STRAZ7000ES
What's in the box:
Sony ES STR-AZ7000ES owner's manual
- 13.2ch AV receiver
- 5' AC power cord
- Front-panel conver
- Remote control (RMT-AA511U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone
- 3-Piece mic stand
- FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide
- Speaker Connection Note
- Warranty Information
- End User License Agreemet
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Sony ES STR-AZ7000ES reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sony ES STR-AZ7000ES
Features & specs
Network & Tuner Functions
Multiroom Audio/Video Playback
Remote, App, & Voice Control
ES (Elevated Standard) Series: The Sony ES (Elevated Standard) line-up of AV receivers raises the bar for engineering, design, and build quality. From the inside out, every electronic component, screw placement, chassis element, and choice in materials has been considered for its ability to optimize performance. The Sony ES receivers were fine-tuned by Sony engineers to provide an incredibily immersive home theater experience.
- Ultra-Rigid Chassis with Anti-Vibration Feet: The chassis of the ES AV receiverl has been fundamentally revised with the overall thickness increased for improved rigidity, plus the structures of the transformer base and other weight-bearing parts redesigned to improve the instantaneous power and crispness of the sound. Designed with an offset screw position to both eliminate the resonance point and avoid frequency-specific, vibration-inducing resonance transmission to and from the transformer, the foot also contains additional ribs for increased rigidity and improved resonance control.
- Sony Exclusive Amplifier Circuit & ES-Grade Solder: A Sony-exclusive integrated circuit was developed to improve all amplification function on the STR-AZ7000ES. The pre-amp is independently connected to each individual amplifier channel, improving channel separation and reducing internal interference over more traditional cascading designs. Applying years of sound engineering and testing experience, Sony has developed an ES-grade solder. A high-purity tin base combines with small amounts of specially chosen metal elements for a unique alloy mix that enables a quality signal and exceptional sound.
- High-Performance 32-Bit DAC: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES employs a 32-bit DAC (digital-to-analog converter) with an improved power supply that uses a low-noise IC to ensure that hi-fidelity performance is achieved. A new DAC analog output filter circuit was designed utilizing a JFET and op-amp improvement in noise floor. The phase rotation was shifted to a higher frequency, expanding the bandwidth and improving sound clarity for wide-bandwidth sources like high-resolution audio.
- Updated Digital Circuit Board & Heat Sink: Metal ES-grade frames both secure the circuit board and protect it from vibration caused by speaker sound pressure. The varying fin length of the integrated heat sink reduces audible resonance uniformity while also shielding delicate circuitry from noise. A more uniform shape applied to the heat sink enables the amplifier circuit to withstand unwanted vibration. The heat sink bracket also shields the digital circuit from radiation, for sound quality that has more stability and clarity.
- Large-Capcity Power Transformer: In order to increase the power, a new block capacitor was developed and the design of the power amplifier has changed. Based on our long experience in the development of sound quality capacitors, we also emphasized the selection of materials and manufacturing methods to create a component that satisfies us in terms of sound quality. In order to achieve high sound quality in the large power transformer, the core material of the power transformer has been re-selected to achieve high sound quality.
Note: All Sony ES AV receivers come with a 5 year parts & labor warranty with dedicated toll-free support staffed by trained product experts. (1-877-619-7669) Monday to Friday from 10am to 7pm ET.
Assignable 11-Channel Discrete Amplifier: The Sony STR-AZ70000ES AV receiver is equipped with a 13-channel amplifier rated at 140 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels). The Sony ES AV receiver's Surround Back and Height 3 amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate a variety of home theater setups.
- 9.1.4Ch: A Dolby Atmos 9.1.4ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 7.1chs peaker layout (Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back) complemented by a pair of Front Wide speakers and two pair of Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. The Front Height 3 channels are used to power the Front Wide speakers.
- 7.1.6Ch: A Dolby Atmos 7.1.6ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 7.1ch speaker layout (Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back) complemented by six Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- 7.1.4ch with Dual Center: The receiver is able to power a 7.1.4ch speaker system (Front, Center x 2, Surround, Surround Back, Height 1, Height 2) in the main listening area with dual center-channel speakers. The Height 3 channels are used to power the second center-channel speaker
- 5.1.6Ch + Zone 2: The receiver is able to power a 5.1.6ch speaker system (Front, Center, Surround, Height 1, Height 2, Height 3) in the main listening area, while powering Zone 2 speakers in a another room. The Surround Back channels are used to power Zone 2.
- 5.1.6Ch Bi-Amp: The Surround Back speaker channels can be reassigned and used along with the Front channels to bi-amp the front speakers, providing improved bass & treble performance. When bi-amping the front speakers the receiver is limited to a 5.1.6ch speaker system in the main room (no Surround Back speakers).
- 5.1.6Ch + Front B: With a 5.1.6ch home theater setup in the main listening room, a second pair of front speakers for dedicated 2ch music playback can be powered by the receiver's Surround amplifier channels.
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration IX: D.C.A.C. IX, the latest auto-calibration technology developed by Sony, can correct the distance, angle, sound pressure and frequency response of each speaker by measuring the speaker placement in 3D using the supplied calibration microphone that plugs into the front of the unit. This works alongside Auto Phase Matching, which aligns the phase of different speakers, so your system can compensate for challenging speaker placement, delay or phase shift and produce a fully immersive surround sound experience.
Note: You can also choose to manually setup your speakers' size, distance, location, crossover, and EQ setting.
360 Spatial Sound Mapping: The STR-AZ7000ES AV receiver features Sony's revolutionary 360 Spatial Sound Mapping technology to create a truly unique and incredibly immersive cinematic experience in the home. Sony's exclusive 360 Spatial Sound Mapping technology creates a truly immersive soundfield that adapts to each unique environment, creating an audio experience that feels like a movie theater or concert hall. It virtually places multiple phantom speakers around the room to create a wider listening space for a more authentic cinematic experience that you can hear and feel. By utilizing the positional information measured by Sony's Digital Cinema Auto Calibration IX (D.C.A.C. IX), multiple phantom speakers are generated all around the room so you can experience every breath, step, and word of a movie as if inside the film.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES employs a powerful DSP (digital signal processor) that supports the latest 3D surround sound formats, ensuring the highest accuracy in signal decoding. The AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (7 Inputs/2 Outputs)||High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus,
Dolby TrueHD |
DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|DSD||2ch to 6ch (2.8MHz; 1-bit)|
|PCM||2ch to 8ch (32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
|Optical/Coaxial (2 Optical Input/1 Coaxial Input)||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 6ch, (32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES AV receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats from Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. The Sony AV receiver offers 7-channels of amplification with support for up to 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 5.1.6, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, 7.1.6, 9.1.2, or 9.1.4 channel processing.
- Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos surround sound technology dispenses with channel-based coding in favor of more advanced object-based coding, giving the soundtrack designer the ability to precisely place sounds anywhere in the 3-dimensional space. Now you can enjoy this same award-winning technology at home with the STR-AZ7000ES that lets you configure a Dolby Atmos speaker system for the ultimate home theater experience.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch, or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization: Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization provides immersive audio without height-channel or overhead speakers, creating virtual height effects in a 5.1ch, 7.1ch or 2.1ch speaker arrangement. Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization applies carefully designed "height-cue" filters to the overhead audio components of your content's soundtrack before they are mixed into your loudspeakers to create the sensation of sound above you.
- DTS:X: The latest immersive surround sound system, DTS:X features object-based audio coding that lets the soundtrack designer place sonic elements anywhere in the 3D acoustic soundspace, and provides for overhead speakers to deliver a stunning surround sound experience. Along with DTS:X decoding, the STR-AZ7000ES features DTS-HD Master Audio decoding and other DTS audio technologies.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X is an advanced spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. DTS Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
- DTS Virtual:X: DTS Virtual:X bridges the gap between DTS:X and the reality of so many consumers' homes, allowing you to enjoy multi-dimensional sound regardless of room size, layout, or speaker configuration. DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 7.1.4ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces).
Audio Excellence: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES AV receiver offers two Direct Modes (Analog Direct & Pure Direct) for the purest sound possible, as well as Sony's DSEE Ultimate to upscale compressed music files to near Hi-res performance, plus support for DSD audio up to 2.8MHz.
- Direct Modes: The Sony AV receiver offers two Direct audio modes for higher fidelity sound. The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active. To further enhance sound quality, the receiver's Pure Direct mode not only bypasses the tone and DSP processing, but also turns off the front-panel display to suppress any noise which may affect sound quality.
- DSEE Ultimate: Using AI (Artificial Intelligence), DSEE (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) Ultimate upscales compressed digital music files to near high-resolution sound quality in real time. Dynamically recognizing instrumentation, musical genres, and individual elements of each song, such as vocals or interludes, DSEE Extreme restores the high-range sound lost in compression for a richer, more complete listening experience. DSEE Ultimate only works on 2ch sound sources with a sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz.
- Direct Stream Digital (DSD): Enjoy studio-quality sound thanks to the Direct Stream Digital (DSD) audio codec; designed specifically for High-Resolution Audio. This 1-bit format utilizes a stream of very high frequency 1s and 0s to recreate audio waveforms at a higher resolution than conventional codecs. The result is clearer, crisper, High-Resolution Audio quality. The STR-AZ7000ES supports DSD 2.8MHz (2ch) decoding via DLNA, as well as DSD 2.8MHz (up to 5.1ch) decoding thru HDMI.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): This feature of the AV receiver's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) will support uncompressed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where as the previous ARC (Audio Return Channel) was limited to only Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
Note: Supported content will be dependent on whether your TV features a HDMI eARC or ARC jack.
Wireless Rear Speaker & Sub Compatibility: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES AVR receiver even supports wireless rear speaker and wireless subwoofer connectivity for a more convenient immersive cinematic experience with not speaker wire or subwoofer cables to run. You'll be able to wirelessly connect Sony's optional wireless rear speakers ((SA-RS3S or SA-RS5) and/or optional wireless powered subwoofer (SA-SW3 or SA-SW5) - all sold separately. You can use the wireless rear speakers as Surrounds or Surrounds Back (but not both).
Note: Only one pair of wireless rear speakers can be connected. Up to two compatible subwoofers of the same model may be connected to the AV receiver.
Advanced Center-Channel Capability: For better dialog and vocal audio reproduction, the Sony ES AV receiver offers advanced Dual Center Speaker Outputs and S-Center Out (Acoustic Center Sync) functionality; as well as Center Lift and Dialog Control, plus a In-Ceiling Speaker Mode.
- Dual Center Speaker Outputs: The Dual Center Speaker feature works with a second center-channel speaker to more accurately replicate sound with large screens. In this scenario, the Height 2 amplifier channels of the AV receiver, are assigned to power a second center-channel speaker. By installing two center speakers (one above the TV and one below the TV), dialog and vocals are made to sound as if its is coming out of the TV screen.
- S-Center Out (Acoustic Center Sync): The STR-AZ7000ES features a S-Center Out (3.5mm) that connects to select Sony Bravia XR TVs to enable a unique Acoustic Center Sync feature. Acoustic Sync combines audio from the TV with the audio from the AV receiver's center speaker to create an incredible sound-from-screen experience. Dialog will appear to come directly from the characters on the screen creating a much more immersive experience. Acoustic Center Sync only works with select 2021-up Sony Bravia TVs - including Z9K series, A95K series, A90K series, A80K series, A75K series, X95K series, X90K series, Z9J series, A90J series, A80J series, and X95J series (newer compatible models may be released).
- Center Life & Dialog Control: By using the Center Lift Up and a pair of front high speakers, you can lift up the sounds of the center speaker to an appropriate height on the screen, allowing you to enjoy a more natural representation. The DTS:X Dialog Control function is a function which adjusts the dialog levels during playback of the DTS:X stream. This function enables you to increase the dialog levels in contrast with the background sound and hear dialog easily even under noisy circumstances.
- In-Ceiling Speaker Mode: This feature will virtually relocate the front and center in-ceiling speakers down to around the screen. That way, you'll hear the actors' voices coming from the screen instead of the ceiling. This mode also makes music sound more natural in a room with in-ceiling speakers.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES AV receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for all speaker channels. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10 AWG), pin connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual). Use speakers with a 4- to 16-ohm impedance.
7.2.4ch Preouts: The Sony ES AV receiver features 7.2.4 channel RCA pre-outs (Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back, Height 1, Height 2, & Dual Sub) for connection to external power amplifiers. The pre-outs are variable.
HDMI 2.1: Featuring seven HDMI inputs (6 rear/1 front) and two HDMI outputs, the Sony STR-AZ7000ES incorporates an advanced video section that features some of the latest HDMI 2.1 specifications; including support for 8K/60Hz and 4K/120 Hz video pass-through (up to 40Gbps), HDCP 2.3 compatibility, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, and 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling. The Sony AV receiver enables you to enjoy stunning picture quality and clarity. Only the Sony AV receiver's rear-panel HDMI 1, 2, 3, and 4 inputs, as well a both HDMI outputs support 4K/120Hz and 8K/60Hz.
- 4K/120 Hz + 8K/60Hz Pass-Through: With stunning 4K (3840x2160) and 8K (7680 x 4320) UHD resolutions detail is strikingly sharper, giving you a more lifelike, compelling, and engaging movie or gaming experience. The greater resolution offered by 4K enables more detailed, more realistic, more engaging images. With greater than 4x the resolution of Full HD, the gaps between pixels (called the screen door effect) and visible pixels (called jaggies) are dramatically reduced. 8K resolution allows for an even higher density PPI (pixels per inch) to achieve greater detail and more precise color and shadow gradation. The result is the most immersive, hyper-real,and breathtaking video experience.
- HDCP 2.3 Compliant: All of the AV receiver's HDMI inputs and outputs support HDCP 2.3, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K/HDR video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver's HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 color subsampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling. With 4:4:4, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium High Speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance. Use an Ultra High Speed 48Gbps HDMI cable to enjoy 4K/120Hz and 8K/60Hz video.
HDMI Video Upscaling: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES is equipped with an 8K video upscaling function that allows HD 1080p and Ultra-HD 4K video sources connected to any of the AV receiver's HDMI inputs to be output via the receiver's HDMI monitor output at 8K (7680×4320) resolution. HD 1080p video sources can also be upscaled to 4K (384x2160). The receiver does not offer any other resolution upscaling and does not support analog-to-HDMI upconversion. The HDMI Zone 2 output does not support upscaling.
Dual HDMI Outputs: In addition to the Main HDMI output, the STR-AZ7000ES provides a HDMI Zone 2 output, so the same or two different HDMI video feeds can be sent to two different displays at the same time directly from the receiver. The HDMI Zone 2 will also output 2ch audio signals (multi-channel audio is downmixed) for HDMI, digital, and analog input sources, while maintaining multichannel audio in the main zone (if you select the same HDMI source in the Main Zone and the HDMI Zone, then both zones will be limited to 2ch).
- When the same HDMI source is played back, the receiver can support 8K video in the Main Zone and Zone 2. When different HDMI sources are played back, the Maine Zone can still support 8K, but Zone 2 is limited to 4K.
- If you connect TVs that have different resolutions in the Main Zone and HDMI Zone 2, but select the same HDMI input for both zones, the video signals output to each TV are limited to the lower resolution TV.
Note: The AV receiver's composite video inputs cannot be output via HDMI.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): High Dynamic Sony STR-AZ7000ES supports a variety of HDR video formats: High Dynamic Range (HDR) video is a huge step forward in 4K Ultra HD picture quality made possible by a new end-to-end process of creating, distributing and displaying video content. High Dynamic Range (HDR) reproduces a wider range of brightness levels than conventional video, which brings a deeper contrast to the screen, greater color intensity without being oversaturated, and incredible detail in low-light images. Watching movies and TV shows mastered in HDR will give you a more vivid viewing experience filled with brilliant color and dramatic contrast.
- HDR10: HDR10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
IMAX Enhanced Technology: Get the most premium at-home entertainment experience with IMAX Enhanced; the latest technology program from IMAX that sets a new standard for image, sound, scale and content quality. This new certification and licensing program combines IMAX digitally re-mastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies to offer a new level of quality in immersive sight and sound experiences in the home. IMAX Enhanced lets you experience premium content digitally remastered by IMAX, so you can watch the highest-quality 4K movies with immersive audio delivered by DTS. Not only will IMAX Enhanced content look and sound amazing, but other audio/video content will also look and sound great too.
- Remastered 4K/HDR Video: It utilizes a sophisticated, advanced algorithm designed to produce the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images. This advanced process accurately reduces noise and grain under the filmmaker's guidance to best optimize the content for a much higher quality, higher brightness 4K HDR display format. Select IMAX Enhanced titles that were shot with IMAX cameras or specially formatted for IMAX theaters will also include an expanded aspect ratio for the film's home release to show your more picture on your TV. IMAX Enhanced certified TVs must support dynamic HDR, as well as specific calibration, resolution, color, brightness, contrast, and scale of image capabilities.
- Remastered DTS:X Audio: IMAX and DTS will also partner with award-winning Hollywood sound mixers to use a special variant of its DTS:X codec technology integrated in home audio equipment to deliver an IMAX signature sound experience that is dynamic, immersive, theatrical, and powerful. IMAX Enhanced supports both 5.1 and 11.1 formats, but the recommended speaker layout for an IMAX Enhanced system is 7.2.4 with seven horizontal speakers, two subwoofers and four height speakers; 5.1.4 is the minimum layout for IMAX Enhanced. However, due to various constraints you may opt to install only a 5.1ch speaker system. In such cases, DTS Virtual:X is required to properly render and remap audio to the available speakers.
- Available IMAX Content: IMAX is working with its global studio and other content partners to build a steady stream of IMAX Enhanced versions of movies and other programming using the newest, proprietary post-production process developed by IMAX. IMAX will be announcing and releasing IMAX Enhanced versions of a wide range of films both for 4K/HDR streaming and Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs.
- To take full advantage of IMAX Enhanced, you need an IMAX Enhanced certified 4K/HDR TV or Projector and an IMAX Enhanced certified DTS:X enabled AV receiver or soundbar.
- IMAX and DTS developed the IMAX Enhanced program out of their decades of combined expertise in image and sound science to make it easier for consumers to select the products and content that will deliver the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images and powerful, immersive sound at home.
- To qualify and carry the IMAX Enhanced logo, the highest-end TVs, AV receivers, projectors, sound bars, and must meet stringent performance standards established by IMAX, DTS and Hollywood's leading colorists in order to create a consistent and higher bar for image and sound performance on premium devices.
Color Technologies: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES incorporates Triluminos Color & Deep Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- Triluminos Color: The Sony receiver incorporates Sony's Triluminos Color technology to create a heightened sense of depth and incredibly true, natural shades of colors. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better too, with natural skin tones.
- Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
Enhanced Gaming: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES supports enhanced gaming features such as 4K/120Hz, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) in for smoother and clearer movement for responsive gameplay. These features are only supported on the AV receiver's rear-panel HDMI 1, 2, 3, and 4 inputs, as well a both HDMI outputs.
- 4K/120Hz: Support for 4K@120Hz produces smoother and clearer motion images at 120 frames-per-second (fps) for better rendering of fast-action content such as sports, action movies, and games.
- ALLM: ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) lets the AV receiver and your TV automatically recognize when a gaming console or gaming PC is connected and in use.
- VRR: VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) allows the AV receiver and TV to adapt to certain Game console's frame rate, giving you the real-time, lower-lag gaming speed you need for a more enjoyable gaming experience.
Note: Please use a premium ultra-high speed HDMI cable with 48 Gbps and above for 4K@120Hz gaming.
Other HDMI Features: Other HDMI features of the Sony STR-AZ7000ES AV receiver include HDMI Standby Pass-Through, AV Sync, and 3D video.
- HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
- A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-300 ms or set to Auto.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
Composite Video Inputs/Outputs: The Sony AV receiver offers two composite video inputs and two composite video outputs (Main, Zone 2) that support up to 480i video. The composite video inputs must be output through the receiver's composite video outputs (there is no HDMI upconversion).
Note: There are no component video inputs or outputs.
Network & Tuner Functions
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and dual-band 2.4/5GHZ WiFi (802.11ac) that allow you to connect the AV receiver to your home network via a hardwired or wireless connection. By connecting the AV receiver to your home network you are able to stream select online music services via Chromecast Built-in, use Spotify Connect, enjoy AirPlay 2, and listen to audio files stored on your window-based PC through your home audio system. The Sony AV receiver offers an on-screen GUI to configure the receiver to your home's network. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this receiver.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the receiver.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a wired router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. You'll need a 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac; 2.4/5GHz compatible wireless router for WiFi connection.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
Note: Network setup requires that the AV receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Sony AV receiver from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast built-in lets you instantly stream a variety of music apps from your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS mobile device to the Sony AV receiver. Chromecast built-in works over WiFi and allows you to connect more than one device at a time to the AV receiver, as well as control what's playing from anywhere in the house with your compatible mobile device.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the Sony AV receiver. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system.
- Supported Content: Chromecast built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, Google Play Music, and more. Click here for a complete list of compatible apps. You can even wirelessly stream exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet through the Sony AV receiver. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
360 Reality Audio: Immerse yourself in sound all around you with 360 Reality Audio; as real as if you are there at a live concert or with the artist recording in a studio - music has never been so immersive and so real. Because 360 Reality Audio tracks incorporate three-dimensional sound location data, they're able to deliver the ultimate in ambient room-filling sound. You'll need to subscribe to a 360 Reality Audio music streaming service (including Amazon Music, Tidal, Deezer, or Nugs.Net) to enjoy this new music experience. You'll also need to download the Sony Music Center App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) onto your Apple iOS or Android device, as well as connect your compatible mobile device and the Sony ES AV receiver to the same WiFi network.
DLNA Certified: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES is DLNA certified. By connecting the Sony STR-AZ7000ES to your home's network, you can listen to variety of compressed & hi-res music files and view still-image files on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server through the receiver and your home entertainment system. It can recognize up to a total of 999 network files/folders. Compatible music & photo files include -
- Hi-Res: FLAC (44.1-192k; 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit), and DSD (2.8MHz; 1-bit)
- Lossless: ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit)
- Compressed: MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), AAC (48-320kbps)
Roon Tested: Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play on the Sony receiver and any other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage devices. It can also integrate your iTunes library, and optionally merge with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon software can be installed on your Windows or Mac computer, while a Roon Remote app is available for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+). When you access the Roon software or remote app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with the available Sony receiver and other Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Sony AV receiver or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Sony AV receiver. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or component (like Nucleus or ROCK - sold separately), located on the network within your home.
FM Tuner: The STR-AZ7000ES offers a built-in FM tuner with 30 station presets. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency from the included IR remote control. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
Note: The Sony AV receiver does not offer a built-in AM tuner.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Sony AV receiver and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the Sony AV receiver. With AirPlay 2, you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Sony AV receiver.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES AV receiver features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). The STR-AZ7000ES can act as a Bluetooth receiver in order to wirelessly stream music from an audio device, or a Bluetooth transmitter in order to wirelessly stream music to a set of BT-enabled headphones. You pair up to 10 Bluetooth devices with the Sony ES AV receiver, but only one can be connected and used at a time. Once paired, the AV receiver will automatically re-connect to your device or headphone when within range. The STR-AZ7000ES has an extended Bluetooth wireless range of 98.4'.
- Receiver Mode: In receiver mode, you'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth source device to the Sony receiver. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Song/artist information is displayed on the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). In addition to support for Bluetooth standard SBC codec and Apple's AAC codec, the receiver also supports Sony's newest LDAC codec. LDAC is a new audio technology from Sony that allows you to enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth. With 3x the data transmitted (compared to regular Bluetooth), LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience for all your music.
- Transmitter Mode: In Transmitter mode, you can enjoy listening to audio from the AV receiver's built-in FM tuner, network streaming content, online music services from Chromecast built-in, as well as connected sources through a set of Bluetooth headphones. The receiver's connected speakers are muted when transmitting audio wirelessly over Bluetooth to a set of headphones.
Note: You cannot use the Bluetooth Receiver & Transmitter mode simultaneously. You must select one or the other.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Sony AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of compressed & hi-res music files and still-image files from a USB mass storage class memory device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The receiver can recognize up to 998 total files/folders. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music or photo files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/0.5A); even in standby mode. Compatible music & photo files include -
- Hi-Res: FLAC (44.1-192k; 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit), and DSD (2.8MHz; 1-bit)
- Lossless: ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit)
- Compressed: MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), AAC (48-320kbps)
Note: The receiver's USB port is not compatible with Apple iOS or Android OS devices.
Note: During setup, you can also save all of the receiver settings to an inserted USB thumbdrive for backing up and porting over to another unit to replicate settings.
Multiroom Audio/Video Playback
HDMI Zone 2: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES AV receiver provides a HDMI Zone 2 output, so the same or two different HDMI video feeds can be sent to two different displays at the same time directly from the receiver. The HDMI Zone 2 will also output 2ch audio signals (multi-channel audio is downmixed) for HDMI, digital, and analog input sources, while maintaining multichannel audio in the main zone (if you select the same HDMI source in the Main Zone and the HDMI Zone, then both zones will be limited to 2ch). If you connect TVs that have different resolutions in the Main Zone and HDMI Zone 2, but select the same HDMI input for both zones, the video signals output to each TV are limited to the lower resolution TV.
- Compatible Sources: Compatible HDMI Zone 2 input sources include HDMI audio/video (2ch PCM only), optical/coaxial digital (2ch PCM only), analog audio sources, and FM tuner. When the same HDMI source is played back, the receiver can support 8K video in the Main Zone and Zone 2. When different HDMI sources are played back, the Maine Zone can still support 8K, but Zone 2 is limited to 4K.
- Incompatible Sources: Incompatible HDMI Zone 2 input sources include analog composite video inputs, USB, Bluetooth, and Network sources.
Zone 2 Speaker-Level & Line-level Outputs (Audio/Video): Zone 2 allows stereo audio/video playback of another source connected to the receiver in another room of your home via RCA line-level output or speaker-level output, as well as composite video. To enjoy a composite video source in Zone 2, you must connect the same video connection to your second display monitor as connected to your receiver for that particular source (there is no video-conversion for Zone 2). When using the STR-AZ7000ES to power speakers in a second room of your home, the main zone is restricted to 5.1.6, 7.1.4 or 9.1.2 channels. When using the receiver's line output terminals for the second room you need an additional amplifier to power your Zone 2 speakers; the main Zone of the receiver remains up to 7.1.6ch or 9.1.4ch. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Sony AV ES receiver using either configuration or from your add-on amplifier when using the line-output.
- Compatible Sources: Tuner, Analog, HDMI (2ch PCM only), Optical/Digital (2ch PCM only), USB, and Bluetooth audio input sources are supported in Zone 2.
- Incompatible Sources: HDMI video sources are not supported by Zone 2's composite video output. Digital audio stream signals (such as DSD and Dolby Digital/DTS) are not output to Zone 2.
Note: Multi-channel stream signals are automatically converted to 2 channels signals, and then output to Zone 2 if the same source signals as the main zone are selected in Zone 2. If the digital audio signals input from the HDMI, coaxial and optical input jacks on the receiver are not output to Zone 2, set the audio output to 2ch PCM on the connected device.
Zone 3 Line-Level Outputs (Audio Only): Zone 3 features line-level outputs only and can be powered by a separate amplifier (keeping up to 7.1.6ch or 9.1.4ch playback in your main room). The volume of Zone 3 can be controlled by the Sony AV receiver and from your add-on integrated amplifier when using the line-output.
- Compatible Sources: Only the FM tuner and analog input sources are supported in Zone 3 via line-level or speaker-level output. Different FM stations cannot be played back in the Main Zone and Zone 3.
- Incompatible Sources: Analog & HDMI video input sources, as well as DSD music files cannot be output to Zone 3. HDMI audio, Optical/Coaxial digital, USB, Network, Bluetooth, Chromecast built-in, Spotify Connect, or AirPlay 2 audio source cannot be output independently to Zone 3.
Note: Zone 3 offers line-level outputs only and requires a separate amplifier to power your speakers in Zone 3. Zone 3 cannot be powered by the Sony ES AV receiver's built-in amplifier.
Source Mode (Party Mode): Source Mode (also know as Party Mode) allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2 and/or 3, simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types - analog, digital, or wireless). Your HDMI audio or optical/digital audio source must be set to 2ch PCM. Source Mode does not work in HDMI Zone 2. DSD and Dolby Digital/DTS audio still cannot be played back in Zone 2 or Zone 3.
Chromecast Built-in Multiroom: Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 8.0.+, you can sync multiple Chromecast built-in devices and speakers in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song from a compatible Chromecast music app throughout your house at the same time. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast compatible phone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
Works With Sonos: The Sony AV receiver integrates seamlessly into any new or existing Sonos wireless home audio system. With simple setup, the Sonos app (for Apple iOS and Android OS) can power on the receiver, designate an input source, and control the volume.
Remote, App, & Voice Control
IR Remote: The supplied remote is pre-coded to control the Sony STR-AZ7000ES AV receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players, and Sony Blu-ray disc players.
Bravia Sync (HDMI CEC): Sony's Bravia Sync feature allows you to easily manage Bravia Sync compatible Sony televisions and other Bravia Sync compatible Sony audio and video components, plus other brands of HDMI CEC compatible gear that are connected via HDMI with a single remote. By connecting audio/video components that are compatible with the Bravia Sync or HDMI CEC function using an HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you play content on a device (such as a Blu-ray player) connected to the receiver; the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically, the input of the receiver is switched to the input of the device being played, and sound is output from the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Audio Control: If you turn on the receiver while you are watching a connected TV, the TV sound will be output from the speakers connected to the receiver. The volume of the receiver can be adjusted using the TV remote control. When you turn on the TV, the receiver is turned on automatically and the TV sound is output from the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: You can automatically turn off the receiver and any device connected to the HDMI jack when you turn off your TV.
Music Center App: The Sony Music Center App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) lets you control and operate the Sony AV receiver from your compatible smartphone or tablet device via a wireless WiFi network connection. From the Music Center app, you can select input sources and customize sound settings of the AV receiver. You'll also be able to browse music stored on your Network devices (such as your computer or NAS drive) from the Music Center app. In addition, you can access stored music and other apps on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device using the Music Center app. The Music Center app will even display your music's song/artist information and album art.
Google Home App: The Google Home App (for Apple iOS 14.0+ or Android OS 8.0+) can be used to configure the Sony AV receiver's wireless WiFi connection, setup Chromecast built-in, and enable voice control with a Google Assistant enabled speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Google Assistant Voice Control: With a Google Assistant enabled smart speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) you can use your voice to control select Chromecast built-in functions of the Sony AV receiver. With a simple voice command, you can play music from Chromecast built-in compatible music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood or activity. You can also turn up the volume, skip to the next track, or stop the music - all without lifting a finger. The Google Home App (for Apple iOS 14.0+ or Android OS 8.0+) must be used to setup Google Home voice control.
IR In/Outs: The Sony STR-AZ7000ES is equipped with one IR input (3.5mm) and two IR output (3.5mm) enabling you to operate the AV receiver and a connected AV component installed behind an cabinet door.
Triple 12V Trigger Outs: The STR-AZ7000ES AV receiver has three 3.5mm minijack outputs that can be used to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to other components in the Main Zone, Zone2, and/or Zone 3 which accept a 12V trigger input.
Custom Control Integration: Sony partnered with the home automation industry's leading companies (including Control4, Crestron, OvrC, and Savant) to make sure their ES AV receivers offer seamless custom control integration and remote monitoring. The STR-AZ7000ES is equipped with an RS-232C port and offers IP web-based control over a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection.
On-Screen GUI (Graphical User Interface): You can display the receiver's on-screen GUI on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. You can easily access and manage your input devices and settings with this intuitive on-screen menu. The STR-AZ7000ES on-screen GuI will take you through everything you need to create and control your home theater experience. The on-screen GUI is only available from the receiver's main HDMI output or Zone 2 HDMI out (not composite video output).
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Bravia Quick Settings Menu: The Sony ES AV receiver also integrates seamlessly with select Sony Bravia TVs and their Quick Settings menu (via HDMI-CEC), allowing you to change features such as soundfield of the amplifier just by using the TV remote. You can also use the TV remote to control the volume of the receiver, ensuring quick and easy control without requiring multiple remotes. The Bravia Quick Settings feature only works with select 2021-up Sony Bravia TVs - including the Z9K series, A95K series, A90K series, A80K series, A75K series, X95K series, X90K series, X85K series, X80K series, Z9J series, A90J series, A80J series, X95J series, X90J series, X85J series, X80J series (new compatible models may be released).
Custom Presets: The Sony ES AV receiver features 2 Custom Preset buttons (Movie & Movie) on the remote control to make operating the receiver easier. Pressing a Preset button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button; such as powering on the receiver, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode.
Input Modes & Naming: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch. You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components
Auto Standby & Sleep Timer: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 20 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver. You can also set the unit so that it automatically turns on by operating a Bluetooth or Network connected mobile device even while the receiver is in standby mode. In addition, the unit can be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Software Updates: By downloading the latest version of software from Sony, you can take advantage of the newest functions. The receiver accesses the Sony server to update the software through its wired or wireless network connection. Visit the Sony eSupport website for the latest software updates.
Rack-Mountable: The Sony ES STR-AZ7000ES can be mounted in a piece of rack equipment usinig Sony's WSRE2 rack-mount ears (sold separately).
3 questions already asked
The new Sony ES STR-7000ES is a dynamite receiver. A feature rich receiver with one exception. This $3,300.00 receiver lacks phone input ports. Why Sony did not bother incorporating these RCA phono jacks into this expensive receiver is beyond me especially with the new wave of turntable users.
Richard from Simi Valley, CA