About the Sony BDP-S1700
Play all your favorites — on discs or from the cloud
Play all your favorites — on discs or from the cloud
You don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get a solid-performing Blu-ray player these days. Sony's BDP-1700 lets you savor movies and TV shows, from your favorite Blu-ray and DVD box sets, to shows you binge-watch through online services like Netflix® . Sony's entry-level players have been getting positive reviews from our customers in recent years for their quick startup times and (of course) excellent picture quality. This player is a nice, inexpensive way to make an older TV "smart" by giving you access to the most popular online streaming services. (Please keep in mind, to do streaming you'll need to connect this player to your router with an Ethernet cable.)
USB input gives you more entertainment options
When you don't have a controller connected, the front panel USB port is great for sharing pictures, videos, and music. Simply connect your USB device or thumb drive and start watching a slide show on your TV. Or you can listen to playlists through your home theater speakers. Got a wacky video of the dog or the kids? Again, display it on the big screen so everyone can laugh along.
- plays Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs and rewriteable CDs
- Internet-ready for playing TV shows, movies, and music, including Netflix (subscriptions required for some services)
- does not support Amazon Prime Video
- Internet streaming requires a hard-wired connection to your network router
- Quick Start/Load mode swiftly queues up a disc from the "off" position
- BD-Live and BonusView support for added bonus features with compatible discs (requires external USB storage device)
- remote control
- no front-panel display, menu options display on your TV screen
- plays Region A Blu-ray discs and Region 1 DVDs
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p, with video upconversion for DVD
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS®, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- front-panel USB port for use with external hard drives and thumb drives
- HDMI output
- coaxial digital audio output
- Ethernet port for Internet connectivity
- 9-1/8"W x 1-9/16"H x 8-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BDPS1700
What's in the box:
- Blu-ray player
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 5' DC cord)
- Wireless remote control (RMT-VB201U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration
- DIRECTV brochure
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Sony BDP-S1700 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony BDP-S1700
Features & specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus |
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD||No|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Yes|
|Smartphone App Control||Yes|
|DVD Video Upconversion||up to 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Digital Optical Output||None|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||None|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||None|
Disc Compatibility: The Sony BDP-S1700 Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types:
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE|
|DVD||DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW|
Blu-ray Disc: Blu-ray provides these key features and advantages.
- 1080p Video Resolution: Blu-ray disc delivers full 1080p video resolution to provide pristine picture quality.
- 25GB/50GB Capacity: Blu-ray disc offers up to 5x the capacity of standard DVDs; 25GB for single layer disc and 50GB for dual layer disc.
- 7.1ch Audio: Blu-ray disc provides as many as 7.1 channels of native, uncompressed surround sound for crystal-clear audio entertainment.
- Enhanced Interactivity: Enjoy such capabilities as seamless menu navigation, bonus features, and network/internet connectivity.
- DVD Compatible: Blu-ray disc players enable you to continue to view and enjoy your existing DVD library.
Note: The BDP-S1700 plays Region A Blu-ray discs and Region 1 DVDs. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware Updates: Occasionally, Sony may release updated firmware for this unit that may add or improve the way a feature operates. These updates are available free of charge. This unit is capable of checking the firmware automatically when connected to the Internet via broadband connection. Visit the Sony eSupport Site for the latest firmware update information.
USB Port: The front-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to play photo, videos, and music files on a connected USB device. The player can recognize Mass Storage Class (MSC) Devices that are FAT-compatible and Still Image Capture Devices (SICD) class devices. The player can recognize up to 500 folders/files. The USB port also allows you to enjoy additional content (such as BonusView) on certain Blu-ray Disc titles. Some BD-ROMs have bonus content and other data which can be downloaded to an inserted USB Flash Drive (minimum 1 GB recommended, sold separately).
Compatible Audio/Video/Photo Formats: The Sony Blu-ray disc player supports playback of the following audio/video/photo files recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs; plus compatible USB memory devices.
|Media Format||File Type|
|Audio||MP3, WMA, AAC, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, WAV,|
|Video||AVCHD, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Motion JPEG, WMV9, XVID|
|Photo||JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP|
HDMI 1.4: The BDP-S1700's HDMI 1.4 output simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. The HDMI resolution can be fixed at 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or set to Auto, which selects the highest resolution accepted by your television.
- Precision Cinema HD Upscaling: Through the HDMI output, the BDP-S1700 is capable of upscaling the resolution of your standard DVDs. Output options include Auto (highest resolution accepted by the TV), 1080p (60 Hz video or 24 Hz), 1080i, or 720p. If necessary the output resolution can also be set to 480p or 480i. You can also choose to bypass the Blu-ray player's scaler, so the source material's original resolution is passed to your connected TV.
- 24p Output: Movies are typically recorded on film with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to Blu-ray Disc at 24 frames per second the BDP-S1700 will output that signal to the TV (if the TV will accept the 1080p/24 format) with no need for conversion.
Note: This player does not offer any analog audio/video outputs.
Advanced Color Technologies: The Sony BDP-S1700 Blu-ray player features Sony's proprietary Triluminos Color technology, as well as supports Deep Color.
- Triluminos Color: The BDP-S1700 incorporates Sony's Triluminos Color technology to provide a wider color gamut with rich, authentic color and a far more natural viewing experience with a heightened sense of depth.
- Deep Color: The Sony Blu-ray player supports a color depth of up to 12 bits. Connecting the player and a TV that supports Deep Color via HDMI allows more accurate color reproduction than when connecting it to a TV that does not support Deep Color. The Deep Color function can be set to 10-bit, 12-bit, 16-bit, Auto, or Off.
Screen Settings: The Sony BDP-S1700 features the following screen settings:
- TV Type: You can select a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected Television's screen aspect ratio.
- Screen Format: You can select the display configuration for a 4:3 screen picture on a 16:9 wide screen television. You can choose Full or Normal (select when connected to a TV with a wide mode function; displays a 4:3 screen picture in 16:9 aspect ratio even on a wide-screen TV) or Normal (changes the picture size to fit the screen size with the original picture aspect ratio).
- DVD Aspect Ratio: You can select the display configuration for playback of 16:9 screen pictures on a 4:3 screen TV. You can select from Letter Box or Pan & Scan.
Video Settings: The BDP-S1700 offers the following video adjustments:
- Picture Quality Mode: You can select from 3 preset pictures settings (Standard, Brighter, Theater) for different lighting environment.
- BNR: Reduces the mosaic-like block noise in the picture.
- MNR: Reduces minor noise around the picture outlines (mosquito noise)
Cinema Conversion Mode: The Sony Blu-ray player offers two Cinema Conversion Modes - (1) Auto mode automatically detects whether the material is video-based or film-based, and switches to the appropriate conversion method. (2) The Video mode is suited for video-based material and will always be selected regardless of the content.
BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Surround Sound Decoders: The BDP-S1700 has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround processors; multi-channel PCM Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio are output through the HDMI jack (when encoded on the Blu-ray Disc).
- Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus was developed as an extension to Dolby Digital. The audio coding technology supports 7.1 channel surround sound. Dolby Digital Plus also includes the standard Dolby Digital bit stream and is compatible with all current Dolby Digital processors using the coaxial digital output.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs. The reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio supports a maximum sampling frequency of 96 kHz, and 7.1 multi-channel surround. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 6 Mbps, with a lossy compression.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 24.5 Mbps and uses lossless compression (Lossless), and DTS-HD Master Audio corresponds to a maximum sampling frequency of 192 kHz, and maximum of 7.1ch.
Note: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD are only output via the player's HDMI output.
Digital Audio Output: The BDP-S1700 is equipped with a coaxial (RCA) digital output. The Audio menu allows you to select the digital audio format that is passed through the coaxial digital output. Settings allow you to transfer Dolby Digital and/or DTS sound tracks, or down-mix surround bitstreams to 2-channel PCM audio.
Audio Settings: The BDP-S1700 allows you to adjust the following audio settings:
- AV SYNC: Synchronize the picture and sound by delaying the audio output in relation to the picture output; 0 to 120 milliseconds.
- Audio DRC: The player offers three dynamic range compression levels - Auto, On, Off.
Wired Network Connection: The Sony BDP-S1700 Blu-ray player supports a wired network connection. The Sony BDP-S1700 Blu-ray player is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the player to your home network. Via the Blu-ray player's network connection you can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via Bravia Entertainment Network.
Note: A home network speed of at least 2.5 Mbps is recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider.
Online Entertainment Apps: Once connected to your home's network and internet provider, the Sony BDP-S1700 lets you access a variety online services consisting of TV shows, movies, videos, music, radio, news, sports, and more.
- Movies, TV Shows, & Videos: Netflix, Vudu, YuppTV, YouTube, & more. *Amazon Video is no longer supported
- Music & Radio: Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Qello, Berliner Philharmoniker, & more.
- News & Sports: Fox News, TMZ, MLB.TV, NBA Game Time, & more.
Note: Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content is not available in all regions and may change without notice.
PlayStation Video: Sony's PlayStation Video (previously named Video Unlimited) is the ultimate source for the latest Hollywood blockbusters, all-time classics, and TV shows from almost every major studio. When you sign up for a free account you can browse the available titles, check prices, and watch trailers and previews. You'll then be able to rent or buy videos from Sony's constantly updated range of movies and TV shows in SD or HD.
Gracenote Metadata Service: The Gracenote metadata service instantly gives you access to detailed information about the movies you are watching through the Blu-ray disc player internet connectivity. This easy-to-navigate service displays information such as cast information, genre, jacket art and more right on the TV screen.
Note: Requires Internet connectivity. Some disc titles may not be supported by the Gracenote service.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Sony Blu-ray player features an Ethernet port to connect to the Internet via your home network and features front-panel USB port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's front-panel USB port in order to download content from BD-Live.
Quick Start: Quick Start speeds up the load time on movies, so discs start faster after they're inserted into the Blu-ray player. The Sony Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 0.4 seconds in Quick Start mode (23.1 seconds in normal mode). In Quick Start mode, it takes approximately 14.1 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback (45.7 seconds in normal mode).
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off and in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
On-Screen Display: The Sony BDP-S1700 provides an OSD via its HDMI output. The on-screen text can be set to English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese. The unit does not offer a front-panel display.
Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you do not use the player for more than 10 minutes while an on-screen display, such as the home menu, is displayed on your TV screen. The screen saver image helps prevent your display devices from becoming damaged.
Auto Display: The player automatically displays information on your TV screen when changing the viewing titles, picture modes, audio signals, etc..
Auto Standby: If any button on the player or remote is not pressed for more than 20 minutes, the player automatically returns to standby mode.
Parental Control: The Sony BDP-S1700 offers Parental Control settings to limit BD, DVD, and streamed Internet video according to the age of the users. You can also Allow or Block all unrated Internet video. The control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password. You can also lock the disc tray to prevent it from being opened by mistake.
Energy Star Compliant: The Sony BDP-S1700 Blu-ray player meets Energy Star standards. Electric power consumption is significantly reduced during both use and standby.
Multi-brand Remote: The supplied remote operates the Blu-ray player and a Sony TV's power on/off, input select, and volume up/down. The remote even has a dedicated Netflix button for immediate access to your Netflix movies. The remote is also pre-programmed with power, input, and volume controls for several other brand TVs.
HDMI Control (Bravia Sync): Sony & other brand components compatible with the HDMI Control function can be controlled via the HDMI connection. This includes convenient features like One-Touch Play and System Power-Off.
Video & TV SideView App: With Sony's free Video & TV SideView App, you can control the BDP-S1700 Blu-ray player and browse its content from your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (8.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (4.1+). Simply download this app from the Apple's App Store or Google Play Store. The Video & TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony Blu-ray player. You can also view disc information and search for Sony Bravia Internet apps from your compatible mobile device.
Note: The Sony TV SideView App requires that the Sony Blu-ray player and your Apple iOS or Android device be connected to the same compatible network with the remote device connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended).
USB Keyboard Compatible: The Sony Blu-ray player also supports the connection of a USB 101 keyboard, which makes web browsing simpler.
The Sony BDP-S1700 replaces these items
- plays Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs
- Internet-ready with 300+ apps for playing TV shows and movies from Netflix®, Hulu®, and Amazon Instant
- plays PS3™ video games using Sony's Playstation™ Now game streaming service (subscription and controller not included)
8 questions already asked