About the Sony BDP-S3500
Binge-watcher's best friend
Binge-watcher's best friend
Enjoy movies, shows, music, and PS3 games with the Sony BDP-S3500's strong selection of streamed entertainment. Plus, you can also fire up Blu-ray or standard DVD discs.
If you're like me, marathon viewing has become the way to watch TV. From gritty cop dramas to beautiful-yet-brutal historical series, I get so engrossed that I feel like I'm part of these worlds. Before I know it, hours have passed. But nothing snaps me out of my binge-watching fantasy faster than — the realization that I've reached the end of one season and don't have access to the next!
Sony's compact BDP-S3500 Blu-ray player saves you from that cold, hard slap of reality. Grab the first season's Blu-ray box set and pop a disc in. Thanks to Sony's Quick Start/Load feature, within seconds you're hanging on every line of dialogue. And when the regular episodes are done you can check out the extras for insightful interviews and synopses. After you've plowed through season one, quickly find the next season on Netflix®, Hulu®, Amazon Instant Video, or one of the many other streaming services. Built-in Wi-Fi provides a strong, fast network connection while a user-friendly onscreen menu makes it easy to navigate over 300 available online apps.
Grab your PlayStation™ controller and catch a game
Sony's most noteworthy addition to this year's line of Blu-ray players is PlayStation™ Now capability. When connected to your network, you have access to over 200 streaming PS3™ games — no extra video game console needed. A DUALSHOCK® 4 controller (sold separately) plugs right into the BDP-S3500's USB port.
Rent games a la carte or buy a monthly subscription for "all you can play" access to over 100 titles. If you have to leave during a thrilling chase or while you're in franchise mode, you can save your progress and pick up later on any other PlayStation Now-enabled device.
Mirror your phone
What used to only exist in science fiction is now very much a reality. Using Miracast™ technology, the BDP-S3500 lets you “push” what you see on your smartphone or tablet onto your TV. Watch a slide show of pictures from your latest trip or share a wacky video you shot of the dog or your kids. Wirelessly display it all on the big screen for everyone to enjoy.
- plays Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs and rewriteable CDs
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless streaming with 300+ apps for playing TV shows, movies, and music, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, and Pandora (subscriptions required for some services)
- plays PS3™ video games using Sony's PlayStation™ Now game streaming service (details here, subscription and controller not included)
- does not accept PlayStation discs
- Miracast-compatible — screen-mirroring with Miracast-compatible smartphones and tablets
- Quick Start/Load mode swiftly queues up a disc from the "off" position
- control the player and stream content from compatible smartphones and tablets with Sony's SideView app for Apple and Android devices (requires both devices to be connected to the same wireless home network)
- BD-Live and BonusView support for added bonus features with compatible discs (requires external USB storage device)
- remote control
- plays Region A Blu-ray discs and Region 1 DVDs
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p, with video upconversion for DVD
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS®, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- front-panel USB port for use with external hard drives and thumb drives
- HDMI output
- coaxial digital audio output
- Ethernet port for Internet connectivity
- 9-1/8"W x 1-9/16"H x 8-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 11665902
What's in the box:
- Single-disc Blu-ray player
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 5' DC cord)
- Wireless remote control (RMT-VB100U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Simple Manual
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration
- DIRECTV brochure
Sony BDP-S3500 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony BDP-S3500
Features & specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||---|
|4K Ultra HD||No|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Netflix,Hulu,Vudu,Amazon|
|Built-in Wi-Fi||802.11 b/g/n|
|Smartphone App Control||Yes|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Digital Optical Output||None|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||None|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||None|
Disc Compatibility: The Sony BDP-S3500 Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types:
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE|
|DVD||DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW|
Blu-ray Disc: Blu-ray provides these key features and advantages
- 1080p Video Resolution: Blu-ray disc delivers full 1080p video resolution to provide pristine picture quality.
- 25GB/50GB Capacity: Blu-ray disc offers up to 5x the capacity of standard DVDs; 25GB for single layer disc and 50GB for dual layer disc.
- 7.1ch Audio: Blu-ray disc provides as many as 7.1 channels of native, uncompressed surround sound for crystal-clear audio entertainment.
- Enhanced Interactivity: Enjoy such capabilities as seamless menu navigation, bonus features, and network/internet connectivity.
- DVD Compatible: Blu-ray disc players enable you to continue to view and enjoy your existing DVD library.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BDP-S3500 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware Updates: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. Occasionally, Sony may release updated firmware for this unit that may add or improve the way a feature operates. These updates are available free of charge. This unit is capable of checking the firmware automatically when connected to the Internet via broadband connection. Visit the Sony eSupport Site for the latest firmware update information.
USB Port: The front-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to play photo, videos, and music files on a connected USB device. The player can recognize Mass Storage Class (MSC) Devices that are FAT-compatible and Still Image Capture Devices (SICD) class devices. The player can recognize up to 500 folders/files. The USB port also allows you to enjoy additional content (such as BonusView) on certain Blu-ray Disc titles. Some BD-ROMs have bonus content and other data which can be downloaded to an inserted USB Flash Drive (minimum 1 GB recommended, sold separately).
Compatible Audio/Video/Photo Formats: The Sony Blu-ray disc player supports playback of the following audio/video/photo files recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs; plus compatible USB memory devices.
|Media Format||File Type|
|Audio||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, WAV|
|Video||AVCHD, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Motion JPEG, WMV9, XVID|
|Photo||JPEG, GIF, PNG|
HDMI 1.4: The BDP-S3500's HDMI 1.4 output simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. The HDMI resolution can be fixed at 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or set to Auto, which selects the highest resolution accepted by your television.
- Precision Cinema HD Upscaling: Through the HDMI output, the BDP-S3500 is capable of upscaling the resolution of your standard DVDs. Output options include Auto (highest resolution accepted by the TV), 1080p (60 Hz video or 24 Hz), 1080i, or 720p. If necessary the output resolution can also be set to 480p or 480i. You can also choose to bypass the Blu-ray player's scaler, so the source material's original resolution is passed to your connected TV.
- 24p Output: Movies are typically recorded on film with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to Blu-ray Disc at 24 frames per second the BDP-S3500 will output that signal to the TV (if the TV will accept the 1080p/24 format) with no need for conversion.
Note: This player does not offer any analog audio/video outputs.
Advanced Color Technologies: The Sony BDP-S3500 Blu-ray player features Sony's proprietary Triluminos Color technology, as well as supports both Deep Color and x.v. Color
- Triluminos Color: The BDP-S3500 incorporates Sony's Triluminos Color technology to provide a wider color gamut with rich, authentic color and a far more natural viewing experience with a heightened sense of depth.
- Deep Color: The Sony Blu-ray player supports a color depth of up to 12 bits. Connecting the player and a TV that supports Deep Color via HDMI allows more accurate color reproduction than when connecting it to a TV that does not support Deep Color. The Deep Color function can be set to 10-bit, 12-bit, Auto, or Off.
- x.v. Color: The BDP-S3500 also supports x.v.Color, meaning it's ready for x.v.Color discs when they become available in the future.
Screen Settings: The Sony BDP-S3500 features the following screen settings:
- TV Type: You can select a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected Television's screen aspect ratio.
- Screen Format: You can select the display configuration for a 4:3 screen picture on a 16:9 wide screen television. You can choose Full or Normal (select when connected to a TV with a wide mode function; displays a 4:3 screen picture in 16:9 aspect ratio even on a wide-screen TV) or Normal (changes the picture size to fit the screen size with the original picture aspect ratio).
- DVD Aspect Ratio: You can select the display configuration for playback of 16:9 screen pictures on a 4:3 screen TV. You can select from Letter Box or Pan & Scan.
Video Settings: The BDP-S3500 offers the following video adjustments:
- Picture Quality Mode: You can select from 3 preset pictures settings (Standard, Brighter, Theater) for different lighting environment.
- BNR: Reduces the mosaic-like block noise in the picture.
- MNR: Reduces minor noise around the picture outlines (mosquito noise)
- I/P Noise Reduction: Improves the picture quality of Internet entertainment.
Cinema Conversion Mode: The Sony Blu-ray player offers two Cinema Conversion Modes - (1) Auto mode automatically detects whether the material is video-based or film-based, and switches to the appropriate conversion method. (2) The Video mode is suited for video-based material and will always be selected regardless of the content.
BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Surround Sound Decoders: The BDP-S3500 has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround processors; multi-channel PCM Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio are output through the HDMI jack (when encoded on the Blu-ray Disc).
- Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus was developed as an extension to Dolby Digital. The audio coding technology supports 7.1 channel surround sound. Dolby Digital Plus also includes the standard Dolby Digital bit stream and is compatible with all current Dolby Digital processors using the coaxial digital output.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs. The reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio supports a maximum sampling frequency of 96 kHz, and 7.1 multi-channel surround. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 6 Mbps, with a lossy compression.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 24.5 Mbps and uses lossless compression (Lossless), and DTS-HD Master Audio corresponds to a maximum sampling frequency of 192 kHz, and maximum of 7.1ch.
Note: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD are only output via the player's HDMI output.
Digital Audio Outputs: The BDP-S3500 is equipped with a coaxial (RCA) digital output. The Audio menu allows you to select the digital audio format that is passed through the coaxial digital output. Settings allow you to transfer Dolby Digital and/or DTS sound tracks, or down-mix surround bitstreams to 2-channel PCM audio.
Audio Settings: The BDP-S3500 allows you to adjust the following audio settings:
- AV SYNC: Synchronize the picture and sound by delaying the audio output in relation to the picture output; 0 to 120 milliseconds.
- Audio DRC: The player offers three dynamic range compression levels - Auto, On, Off.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony BDP-S3500 Blu-ray player supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the Blu-ray player's network connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony BDP-S3500 Blu-ray player is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the player to your home network and computer.
- Built-in Wireless LAN: The Sony Blu-ray player also features built-in WiFi which allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. A new 2.4GHz WiFi module compatible with MIMO provides improved stability and speed performance for a better streaming experience. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 b/g/n access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
Note: A home network speed of at least 2.5 Mbps is recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider.
Bravia Entertainment Network: Once the Sony BDP-S3500 has been connected to your home network, you can have your favorite internet content delivered to the Sony Blu-ray player via Bravia Internet Audio/Video, PlayStation Now, the Opera TV Store, or the built-in web browser. You can stream movies, videos, music, games, and more with Sony's Bravia Entertainment Network; while the built-in web-browser lets you search on-line content by URL. The Opera TV Store even lets you download additional apps.
- Bravia Internet Audio/Video: Bravia Internet Audio/Video serves as a gateway to online audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to the Sony Blu-ray player. Bravia Internet Audio/Video allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps. Popular apps include -
- PlayStation Now Compatible: The Sony BDP-S3500 is PlayStation Now compatible, allowing you instant access to a catalog of hundreds of streamed PS3 games (no game console required). You can stream PlayStation 3 games through a monthly subscription or rent games individually. Sony's DualShock 4 control (sold separately) is also required. Click here for more information about PlayStation Now.
- Opera TV Store: The Opera TV Store provides a collection of additional downloadable web apps that are optimized for TV viewing. These apps range from videos, games, weather, news, world clocks, and social networks.
- Opera Internet Browser: The built-in Opera Internet Browser allows you to access select web content through the Sony Blu-ray player. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service. Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
Note: Click here for a full list of Sony Entertainment Network content (over 200 streaming services). Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice.
Miracast Technology: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) through the Blu-ray player and to your TV. This allows you to view pictures and videos that are playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen. No wireless router or access point required.
DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo (JPEG/PNG/GIF), music (MP3/WMA/WAV), and video (AVCHD/MPEG/WMV/XVID) files stored on your Windows 7/8 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server/Android device) through the Sony BDP-S3500 - up to 999 files/folders. The Blu-ray player can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Gracenote Metadata Service: The Gracenote metadata service instantly gives you access to detailed information about the movies you are watching through the Blu-ray disc player internet connectivity. This easy-to-navigate service displays information such as cast information, genre, jacket art and more right on the TV screen. You can also access select internet apps including YouTube and Qriocity to find related entertainment.
Note: Requires Internet connectivity. Some disc titles may not be supported by the Gracenote service.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Sony Blu-ray player features an Ethernet port to connect to the Internet via your home network and features front-panel USB port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's front-panel USB port in order to download content from BD-Live.
Quick Start: Quick Start speeds up the load time on movies, so discs start faster after they're inserted into the Blu-ray player. The Sony Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 0.4 seconds in Quick Start mode (13.5 seconds in normal mode). In Quick Start mode, it takes approximately 17.1 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback (33.4 seconds in normal mode).
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off and in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
On-Screen Display w/ Screen Saver: The Sony BDP-S3500 provides an OSD via its HDMI output. The on-screen text can be set to English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese. The unit does not offer a front-panel display. The screen saver image appears when you do not use the player for more than 10 minutes while an on-screen display, such as the home menu, is displayed on your TV screen. The screen saver image helps prevent your display devices from becoming damaged.
Auto Display: The player automatically displays information on your TV screen when changing the viewing titles, picture modes, audio signals, etc..
Auto Standby: If any button on the player or remote is not pressed for more than 20 minutes, the player automatically returns to standby mode.
Parental Control: The Sony BDP-S3500 offers Parental Control settings to limit BD, DVD, and streamed Internet video according to the age of the users. You can also Allow or Block all unrated Internet video. The control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password. You can also lock the disc tray to prevent it from being opened by mistake.
Energy Star Compliant: The Sony BDP-S3500 Blu-ray player meets Energy Star standards. Electric power consumption is significantly reduced during both use and standby.
Multi-brand Remote: The supplied remote operates the Blu-ray player and a Sony TV's power on/off, input select, and volume up/down. The remote even has a dedicated Netflix button for immediate access to your Netflix movies. The remote is also pre-programmed with power, input, and volume controls for several other brand TVs.
HDMI Control (Bravia Sync): Sony components compatible with the HDMI Control function can be controlled via the HDMI connection. This includes convenient features like One-Touch Play and System Power-Off.
Sony TV SideView App: With the free Sony TV SideView App, you can control the BDP-S3500 Blu-ray player and browse content from your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (5.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (2.2+). Simply download this app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store. The TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony Blu-ray player. You can also view disc information and search for Sony Bravia Internet apps from your compatible mobile device. In addition, you can use your Apple iOS/Android device to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Windows computer or DLNA server to the Blu-ray player and your connected TV.
Note: The Sony TV SideView App requires that the Sony Blu-ray player and your Apple iOS or Android device be connected to the same compatible wireless network with the remote device connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended).
USB Keyboard Compatible: The Sony Blu-ray player also supports the connection of a USB 101 keyboard, which makes web browsing simpler.
2 questions already asked