About the Sony MEX-BT3700
Go beyond just playing music with your stereo. You'll enjoy hands-free calling with your compatible phone when you've got the Sony Xplod MEX-BT3700 CD receiver in the dash. Bluetooth® technology lets you hear calls through your car's speakers, so you can keep your phone in your pocket and your hands on the wheel.
Musical options abound
The MEX-BT3700 brings out the best in your CDs, whether they're store-bought discs or ones you've burned with MP3, WMA or AAC files. The front-panel USB input features Sony's 1-wire connection plug in your iPod® or many other music players and enjoy convenient control of your music.
You can use the handy front-panel auxiliary input to connect other audio sources. To further expand your options, hook up a Sony satellite radio for commercial-free music, or add a Sony HD Radio tuner for superb radio reception and extra programming from your local participating stations.
The internal amplifier offers power and clarity that'll make your music pop with excitement, and you can control and adjust the MEX-BT3700's sound with its 3-band equalizer or seven preset EQ curves. For even more dynamic impact, use the three sets of preamp outputs to connect amps and subs in an expanded system.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
- CD receiver with built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity works with compatible cell phones and music players
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files
- detachable faceplate
- remote control
- EQ3 Stage 2 (3-band equalizer with 7 preset sound curves)
- built-in iPod controls with USB connection
- compatible with Sony's HD Radio tuner, and satellite radio
- inputs: front USB and auxiliary inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, sub)
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/CD receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X304)
- CR2025 lithium battery (installed in remote control)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Face security screw
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Spa)
- Bluetooth Quick Guide (Eng/Spa)
- Installation/Connection instructions (Eng/Spa)
- US Warranty sheet
- Note on installing face security screw
- Note on removing rear screw and box
- Customer Support sticker
Sony MEX-BT3700 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony MEX-BT3700
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Front and Optional Rear|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20KHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
External Device Controls
Overview: The Sony MEX-BT3700U single CD receiver is equipped with Bluetooth technology, offering hands-free calling as well as music streaming from a compatible Bluetooth phone or music player. In addition, you can connect other music sources, such as an iPod, HD or Satellite Radio tuner, or CD changer.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the MEX-BT3700 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the MEX-BT3700 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 52 watts x 4 channels (208 watts total)
AM/FM Tuner: The MEX-BT3700U features a built-in AM/FM digital tuner. The built-in AM/FM tuner offers the following features: Auto/Manual tuning, Preset tuning (6 presets each in 5 bands), Best Tuning Memory, Local Seek Mode, and Mono Mode.
Disc Compatibility: The CD receiver will play CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs. The head unit also supports CD Text. The receiver will also play MP3, WMA, and AAC files stored on a CD-R or CD-RW. The headunit can recognize up to 150 folders and 300 folders and files combined. The unit also displays ID3-Tag information up to 32 characters.
Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a CD or USB player/memory. When there are many items in one category, you can search for the desired track quickly by using the Jump function which skips in steps of 10% of the total tracks listed in the current folder.
Note: When entering the Quick-BrowZer mode, the repeat/shuffle setting is canceled.
Zappin': You can search for a track on a CD or USB player/memory through the Zappin' feature. When the Zappin' feature is engaged, the unit will play a short sample of the track (about 1 minute into the track), then skip to the next track. You can select the length of the sample: 6 seconds, 9 seconds, or 30 seconds.
Front Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable cassette, MD or MP3 player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device. The aux input can be deactivated in the menu so it doesn't appear as an available source.
EQ3 Stage 2: EQ3 Stage 2 offers 7 EQ presets, each of which has a preset value for 3 bands: Low (60Hz), Middle (1kHz), and High (10kHz). The EQ presets and the band values are as follows:
- Xplod: Low: +6, Middle: +0, High: +2
- Vocal: Low: +2, Middle: +6, High: +0
- Edge: Low: +4, Middle: -2, High: +5
- Cruise: Low: +2, Middle: +0, High: +1
- Space: Low: +2, Middle: +3, High: +6
- Gravity: Low: +6, Middle: 0, High: +2
- Off (flat): Low: 0, Middle: 0, High: 0
- Custom: Adjustable -10dB to +10dB for each band (Low, Middle, High)
Loudness: This feature allows you to listen to your music clearly at low volume levels by reinforcing the bass and treble. The bass level is increased to +4 dB at 100 Hz while the treble level is increased to +2 dB a 10 kHz.
Preamp Outputs: The MEX-BT3700U contains three pairs of RCA preamp outputs - a front pair, rear pair, and subwoofer (non-fading) pair. The Subwoofer output has an adjustable low-pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 160Hz, 140Hz, 120Hz, 100Hz, 80Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the subwoofer's output phase to Normal or Reverse. In addition, you can adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -10 to +10 in 1dB increments.
High Pass Filter: The BT3700U has a high pass filter for the front and rear preamp and speaker outputs, with a selectable cutoff frequency of 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 140Hz, or 160Hz.
Auto Scroll: This feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Off button once will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. This makes the clock display and face/button illumination "Keyed" instead of "Unit On" only. To turn the unit off completely, you must press the Off button for two seconds.
Dimmer: To change the brightness of the display you can set the MEX-BT3700U to one of two dimmer modes - Dimmer Off (deactivates the dimmer) or Dimmer On (display always dim).
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Eject: The CD disc can be ejected with the power off. The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected but not removed for 15 seconds or more.
45-Degree Installation: For flexibility of installation, this unit can be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45 degrees.
Remote Control: The MEX-BT3700U comes with the RM-X304 wireless remote commander for operating the basic audio functions of this unit, as well as the Bluetooth Communication functions. Dimensions: Width = 1.667", Height = 3.938", Depth = 0.443".
Optional Wired Remote Control: This unit also has a 3.5mm minijack input for the optional RM-X4S wired rotary commander. In addition, the PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface is compatible with this head unit. The SWI-PS interface allows you to retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles with a Sony head unit with wired remote capability. In some GM vehicles, this adapter allows you to retain heater control buttons as well.
Bluetooth Wireless Communication: The MEX-BT3700U has built-in Bluetooth hardware to integrate with Bluetooth-enabled cellular phones and audio players. Bluetooth (Standard Bluetooth version 2.0) is a two-way wireless communication system allowing you to make and receive cell phone calls, and listen to a Bluetooth audio device. Up to 8 phones or audio devices can be registered with the MEX-BT3700U. You can adjust the volume for each connected Bluetooth audio device from -8 to +18dB. Bluetooth wireless technology operates on a 2.4GHZ frequency band within a range of about 10 meters (about 33 feet). For a list of compatible Bluetooth devices, please visit the Sony e-support website (esupport.sony.com). The MEX-BT3700U supports the following Bluetooth profiles:
- Hands-Free Talk (HFP 1.5/HSP): Incoming calls can be received through this head unit, and the ring tone is output from your car speakers. Incoming calls can be rejected if desired. To make a call from this unit, only redial is used. To call another phone, you will need to dial the number on your cell phone, and then transfer the call to the head unit. The unit can be set to automatically reconnect to the last connected Bluetooth device when the ignition is turned on. The phone rings, and you hear the caller's voice through the front speakers (left, right, or both). The BT3700U has a built-in microphone located behind the detachable faceplate or your can purchase an external microphone (158XAMC10, sold separately) for added clarity. The MEX-BT3700U also supports Voice Dial Activation which allows you to activate voice dialing with a compatible Bluetooth enabled mobile-phone by saying the voice tag stored in your cellular phone.
- Music Streaming (A2DP/AVRCP): You can listen to music from an audio device that supports A2DP Bluetooth technology. Cellular phones that support A2DP and have music stored in its memory can be played through this head unit. You can listen to and perform some operations on an audio device that supports AVRCP Bluetooth technology. On some devices, you can pause and resume playback and skip tracks by pressing buttons on the head unit.
USB Port: The receiver is equipped with a front-panel Type-A USB input for plugging in a USB Mass Storage Class device, or a compatible USB audio player. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3, WMA, or AAC formats. The head unit can recognize up to 128 folders with up to 500 tracks each when connected to a USB Mass Storage Device.
iPod Direct: The front-panel USB input can also be used to plug in, charge, and control an iPod via a single cable for audio playback. This is the same cable that comes with the iPod (Type A USB-to-iPod dock connector), or can be purchased separately (472USBCABL). In Audio Mode, the iPod is controlled by the head unit. You can switch the head unit to Passenger Mode and control the iPod directly using the iPod's controls. The receiver is compatible with the following iPods:
- iPod video (5th generation)
- iPod classic (80/120/160GB)
- iPod nano (1st/2nd/3rd/4th generation)
- iPod touch (1st/2nd generation)
- iPod phone/phone3G
Note: The iPod video (5th generation) and iPod nano (1st generation) does not support Passenger Mode.
HD Radio Ready: The MEX-BT3700U is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner and the optional SNYSC1 Sony interface module (package item number 700SIRSONY).
- XM Satellite Radio: To receive XM Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional CNP2000UC XM Mini Tuner and the Sony CNP-SON1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMSON1).
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver, such as the XM Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can be connected to the head unit via the auxiliary input or the Sony XA-300 UniLink Auxiliary Input Adapter (item number 158XA300).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Changer Controls: This unit is compatible with Sony UniLink CD/MP3 and MD changers. In addition, this unit can control compatible Sony Mobile Memory Stick players. A maximum of 5 CD changers, 5 CD/MP3 changers, or 5 MD changers may be connected to this receiver. When connecting CD, CD/MP3 and MD changers, you may connect up to a total of 7 changers (but there must not be more than 5 of one type of changer). When connecting more than one changer to this receiver, you must use the Sony XA-C40 source selector.
Optional Auxiliary Input: You can connect an auxiliary audio device (such as a portable digital memory player, cassette, MiniDisc, or VCR) when used with the optional XA-300 UniLink Auxiliary Input Adapter. The XA-300 uses the UniLink and Bus Audio inputs on the back of the receiver, and allows you to connect an optional CD/MD changer in addition to the auxiliary audio source.