About the Sony MEX-BT39UW
The Sony MEX-BT39UW CD receiver uses Bluetooth technology to give you hands-free calls in your car with your compatible phone. You'll hear your callers through your car's speakers, and answer just like they're sitting next to you. The result? You'll drive more safely with your hands on the wheel and your phone stashed away. Plus, if you've got a smartphone or other device with Bluetooth, you can stream your music to the Sony without having to plug in.
Easy iPod® control
The front-panel USB input features Sony's 1-wire connection — plug in your player and enjoy convenient control of your music. Sony's search tools whip through your files to find the tunes you want quickly and easily. You'll find Jump Mode particularly handy if you've got a large music library, as it allows you to jump through your playlist in 10% increments.
Shape to sound to match your taste
If you're into tweaking your sound, you'll find a host of tools in Sony's Advanced Sound Engine. You can adjust the overall tone with the EQ7 7-band equalizer, and then use tools like Listener Position calibration, Dynamic Loudness, and Rear Bass Enhancer to customize your listening experience to your own tastes.
Add-on music options
You can add Sony's satellite radio tuner to enjoy programming variety and commercial-free music. If you're into earthbound radio, Sony's HD Radio™ tuner gives you access to improved sound quality and extra programming from participating AM and FM stations in your area. Use the handy front-panel auxiliary input to connect a portable satellite radio, MP3 player, or another audio source.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Sony stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Sony, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC music files
- detachable faceplate with selectable red or blue button illumination (face case not included)
- remote control
- EQ7 7-band equalizer with 7 preset sound curves
- Rear Bass Enhancer
- Dynamic Loudness
- DM+ sound restoration
- listener position calibration
- high- and low-pass filters
- built-in iPod controls with USB connection
- compatible with Sony's HD Radio tuner, and satellite radio
- inputs: front USB and front auxiliary inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, sub)
What's in the box:
- AM/FM CD receiver (with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X172)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Face fixing screw
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Fre)
- Installation/Connections sheet (Eng/Fre)
- US Limited Warranty sheet
- Canada Consumer 1 Year Warranty
- Face fixing screw note
Sony MEX-BT39UW reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony MEX-BT39UW
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue or Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
Detachable Face: The MEX-BT39UW features a detachable face for theft prevention. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Note: No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit.
Caution Alarm: If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the built-in amplifier is used.
13-Segment, 1-Line LCD Display: The Sony Xplod MEX-BT39UW features a 13-Segment, 1-line LCD display with white backlit text and a black background for viewing station and song information.
Auto Scroll: This feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc.
Dimmer: The MEX-BT39UW feature a dimmer mode to dim the brightness of the display. You can choose from either "Dim On" or Dim Off".
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Source/Off button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the Source/Off button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the Source/Off button for two seconds.
Selectable Button Illumination: The Sony MEX-BT39UW offers selectable red or blue key illumination to complement your vehicle's interior lighting.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
True Fidelity Sound Construction: The Sony Xplod MEX-BT39UW CD receiver features a newly developed sound processor for less distortion, an S-MOSFET IC for smooth signal transmission, and a large-sized capacitor for deep bass sound.
Dynamic Reality Amp: The MEX-BT39UW is equipped with Sony's Dynamic Reality Amp to produce 3 dimensional sound staging for more realistic sound inside your vehicle.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Sony MEX-BT39UW utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
CEA2006 Compliant Amplifier: The power specifications for the Sony Xplod MEX-BT39UW are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the MEX-BT39UW are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 52 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
Three Pairs Of 2V Preamp Outputs: The MEX-BT39UW contains three pairs of 2-volt RCA preamp outputs - a front channel pair, rear channel pair, and subwoofer channel pair. The front and rear channel preamp outputs can be faded. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Controls: The unit's subwoofer features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the high-pass crossover. You can adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -10 to +10 in 1dB increments. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
High-Pass Filter: The front and rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the high-pass crossover.
Advanced Sound Engine: Sony's Advanced Sound Engine creates an ideal in-car sound field with digital signal processing. Advanced Sound Engine contains the following features: EQ7, Listening Position, DM+ Advanced, Rear Bass Enhancer, and Dynamic Loudness.
- EQ7: You can select an equalizer curve from eight music types - Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom EQ7 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of seven different frequency bands - Band1 (63Hz), Band2 (160Hz), Band3 (400Hz), Band4 (1kHz), Band5 (2.5khz), Band6 (6.3khz), and Band7 (16.0kHz).
- Listening Position: This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound field with the feeling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. You can choose from Front Right, Front Left, Front Center, or Off. You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far
- RBE (Rear Bass Enhancer): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
- Dynamic Loudness: Dynamic Loudness refers to compensating for volume level and signal gain.
- DM+ Advanced: DM+ Advanced improves digitally compressed sound by restoring high frequencies lost in the compression process (works only for USB).
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
SSIR-EXA AM/FM Tuner with RDS: The Sony MEX-BT39UW features a built-in SSIR-EXA AM/FM Tuner with RDS. Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The MEX-BT39UW offers manual, seek and preset tuning.
Preset Tuning: The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
Local Seek Mode: In the Local Seek Mode, the unit will only tune in stations with very strong signals during Seek tuning.
Mono Mode: The Mono Mode allows you improve poor FM reception by selecting a monaural signal instead of a stereo signal.
HD Radio Ready: The MEX-BT39UW is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (158XT100HD, sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Note: Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website (HDRadio.com).
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional satellite radio receiver to this head unit:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner and the optional Sony SNYSC1 interface module (package item number 700SIRSONY, sold separately). You can also connect select dock-and-play and portable SIRIUS radios to the head unit via the Sony SNYSC1 interface module (607SNYSC1, sold separately) and the SiriusConnect Plug & Play Dock (607SCVDOC1, sold separately).
- XM Satellite: A portable XM satellite radio receiver can be connected to the head unit via the auxiliary input.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The Sony MEX-BT39UW allows you to playback CD-Rs or CD-RWs loaded with MP3, WMA, or AAC songs (up to 320 kbps) recorded in ISO 9660 level 1 or 2, Joliet/Romeo, or Multi-Session. The MEX-BT39UW can support up 150 folders, and a combined 300 folders and files on a disc. The head unit will also display song information for MP3, WMA, and AAC music files (Joliet: up to 32 characters, Romeo: up to 64 characters).
Note: Not all MP3, WMA, AAC files may playback due to file variations. Copyright protected ACC-LC files cannot be played back.
Compressed Audio Display Information: The CD receiver can display the following CD-TEXT or ID3/WMA-tag information - Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Label.
Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a MP3/WMA/AAC disc easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10 percent increments.
Zappin: With the Zappin feature, you can play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your CD.
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Auto Playback: The head unit will automatically begin disc playback, when a disc is inserted with the receiver set to a different source or powered off.
Mounting Angle: For proper CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45 degrees
Bluetooth Technology: Bluetooth is a two-way wireless communication system allowing you to make and receive cell phone calls, and listen to a Bluetooth audio device. Bluetooth wireless technology operates on a 2.4GHZ frequency band within a range of about 10 meters (about 33 feet).
Bluetooth Communication: The Sony Xplod MEX-BT39UW has built-in Bluetooth (ver. 2.1 + EDR) hardware to integrate with Bluetooth-enabled cellular phones and audio players. The MEX-BT39UW supports a wide variety of Bluetooth profiles, including HFP (Hands-Free Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile), A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), and AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile), so you can get the most from your Bluetooth-enabled devices.
- HFP 1.5 (Hands-Free Profile): Hands-free communication with your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone in the vehicle (incoming/outgoing calls supported).
- OPP (Object Push Profile): Phonebook transfer from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone to the head unit.
- PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile): Phonebook access from your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone to the head unit.
- A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile): Music streaming from your Bluetooth enabled phone or audio player to the head unit.
- AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile): Basic music playback control of your Bluetooth enabled phone or audio player from the head unit.
Pairing: Up to 9 phones or audio devices can be registered with the MEX-BT39UW (only one device can be used at a time). The unit can be set to automatically reconnect to the last connected Bluetooth device when the ignition is turned on.
Note: Not all Bluetooth mobile phones will be compatible. Please visit the Sony eSupport website for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Hands-Free Talk (HFP 1.5/OPP/PBAP): The Sony MEX-BT39UW supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically through this head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's LCD. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired. The MEX-BT39UW has a built-in microphone located behind the detachable faceplate to carry on your side of the conversation. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the MEX-BT39UW, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's control dial.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing.
- Phone Book: You can store up to 300 contacts in the unit's phone book. Up to a 40 character name can be input for each contact.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Voice Dial: You can make a call using the voice tags stored on your connected cellular phone.
Optional External Microphone: The Sony XAMC10 (158XAMC10, sold separately) is an external microphone which can be connected to the MEX-BT39UW's rear-panel Mic input. The XAMC10 external microphone provides better performance in noisy environments than the integrated microphone found on the front-panel of the Sony head unit. The microphone features an attached 13' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector which plugs into the microphone input on the rear chassis of the Sony head unit. The microphone also includes an adjustable sun-visor clip and a self-adhesive dash mount for mounting the external microphone in your vehicle.
Music Streaming (A2DP 1.2/AVRCP 1.3): You can listen to music from an audio device that supports A2DP Bluetooth technology. Cellular phones that support A2DP and have music stored in its memory can be played through this head unit. You can listen to and perform basic playback operations from an audio device that supports AVRCP Bluetooth technology. The MEX-BT39UW provides Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Skip (Previous/Next), and Repeat/Shuffle playback functions.
Volume Adjustment: You can adjust the volume for each connected Bluetooth audio device from -8 to +18dB.
USB Port: The receiver's front-panel Type-A USB port can be used for plugging in a (MSC) Mass Storage Class or MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) type USB device. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3, WMA, or AAC formats (up to 320 kbps). The head unit can recognize up to 128 folders with 500 tracks each when connected to a USB Mass Storage Device. The MEX-BT39UW offers the following USB search, playback, and display functions:
- Search Modes:
- Quick-BrowZer: allows you to search for a track on a connected USB device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist)
- Jump Mode: gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10 percent increments
- Zappin: play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your connected USB device
- Playback Modes:
- Repeat: repeat a single track or repeat an entire album
- Random: plays all tracks on the drive or the tracks of a specific album in random order
- Display Information:
- Numeric Text: track number and elapsed playing time
- Alphanumeric Text: song title, artist name, and album label
Note: This unit cannot recognize USB devices via a USB hub. Not all MP3, WMA, AAC files may playback due to file variations. Copyright protected ACC-LC files cannot be played back.
USB 1-Wire iPod/iPhone Control: The MEX-BT39UW's front-panel USB port allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone via a single cable (iPod dock connector-to-USB cable; not included with the head unit). This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection lets you directly connect, charge, and control select iPod/iPhones via the USB jack on the front of the unit, as well as view metadata like song title and artist on the front display.
- USB Connection: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 120dB.
- Audio Playback: The Sony head unit supports audio playback of music files stored on your iPod or iPhone.
- Music Navigation: You can choose to control the iPod/iPhone from the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, or Podcast. In addition you can search within each category alphabetically. You can also select random and repeat functions for specific songs, playlists, or categories.
- Information Display: The head unit will also display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist Name, and Album Title.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony MEX-BT39UW is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 5/8/2012):
|iPod Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device. The aux input can be deactivated in the menu, so it does not appear as an available source.
Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X172) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (including Bluetooth) of the Sony Xplod head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (541SWIRC, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.