About the Sony CDX-M9905X
The visuals on Sony's CDX-M9905X CD/MP3 receiver will astound you! Its 32,000-color TFT (thin film transistor) display shows off stunning, full-motion, photograph-quality images and animations. And, if you're not satisfied with all the pre-loaded images, the receiver has a video input so you can connect any video source. A video capture function then allows you to store up to 100 additional custom images!
The CDX-M9905X plays your MP3 discs and makes them sound great. BBE MP processing restores some of the sonic excitement that gets lost when music files are compressed, giving your MP3s a rich, lively sound.
Regardless of the source, EQ7 provides the tools to make all of your music sound stellar. You get seven preset sound curves and a 7-band equalizer for tweaking the details. And Dynamic Soundstage Organizer raises the stereo image off the floor, making your music sound more immediate and exciting especially helpful if your front speakers are low in the car.
With Sony's "Aux Lite" auxiliary input, you can use the receiver's changer port as an auxiliary input if you're not connecting an XM tuner or a CD changer. That means you can take your pick of expansion possibilities: CD changer, XM satellite radio, or your portable audio player! Three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs give you room to add all the power you want, and high-pass and low-pass filters help optimize the output signals.
- fixed face with a 32,000-color TFT display
- blue button lighting
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3 files)
- SSIR-EXA tuner
- 18 FM/12 AM presets
- seek tuning
- BBE MP (restores detail and warmth lost to MP3 files during compression)
- Dynamic Soundstage Organizer
- EQ7 (7-band equalizer and 7 preset tone curves)
- XM Satellite Radio controls (XM subscription, optional XM tuner, and antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal) service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
- CD changer controls
- rear auxiliary input (when not using a CD changer or XM tuner)
- 4-volt front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs
- high-pass and low-pass filter
- CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
- wireless remote
- 23.2 watts RMS/52 peak x 4 channels
- CD frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz
- CD signal-to-noise ratio: 120 dB
- FM sensitivity: 9 dBf
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CDXM9905X
What's in the box:
- AM/FM/CD/Changer controller receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis
- Trim ring
- 1 Plastic front panel cover
- Wiring harness
- RM-X145A Wireless remote control
- 1 CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- 1 Red wire tap
- Operating Instructions (English/French/Spanish)
- Installation/Connections sheet (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty sheet
Sony CDX-M9905X reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony CDX-M9905X
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||XM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||23.2 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Display Color||32,000 colors|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback|
Drive S: The CDX-M9905X features the Drive S chassis platform. Drive S includes the CD mechanism, audio stages, 12 V power supply, and tuner section. The CD mechanism includes an improved suspension to resist shocks, a new motor that draws less power, and a fast new low-current pickup that improves durability and CD playback accuracy. The new 52W x 4 S-MOSFET Power IC produces clearer, more accurate sound, less distortion, and a higher signal-to-noise ratio than previous designs.
32,000-color Display: This unit has a 32,000-color Thin Film Transistor (TFT) screen that you can customize with your own digital photos and animations.
Display Mode: You can choose from the following display modes:
- Standard Mode: In this mode, the unit displays images and/or pre-stored visual effects with various information. You can choose from the following display patterns: Effect (changing light pattern in the background with a group of lines sweeping across the display), Wallpaper (blue light pattern), Wallpaper & Effect (blue light pattern background with a group of lines sweeping across the display), Panorama (snapshots of sporting events scroll across the display), or Panorama & Effect (snapshots of sporting events scroll across the display, while a group of lines sweep across the screen).
- Spectrum Analyzer Mode: In this mode, the unit displays pre-stored animated patterns with various information. You can choose from the following display patterns: Space Producer (black and white checker background with blinking spheres of light that pulse with the music), Type-A (blue light pattern background with a group of squares sweeping across the display, Type-B (geometrical shapes hovering above a moving vortex grid), Type-C (spinning spider web grid with light emanating from the center), or Type-D (alternates between two light pattern images).
- Movie Mode: In this mode, the unit displays pre-stored moving pictures with various information. You can choose from the following display patterns: Movie-1 (surface of a body of water in motion), Movie-2 (racing through the streets of a city at night from the driver's point of view), Movie-3 (traveling through space), Movie-4 (bars of light in motion), Movie-5 (pistons in motion with fire in the background), Movie-6 (fiery background), Movie-7 (car gauges in motion), Movie-8 (spinning 3D off-road racecar), Movie-9 (off-road racing), Movie-10 (spinning 3D Formula 1 racecar), Movie-11 (Formula 1 racing), Movie-12 (people surfing and windsurfing), or Movie-13 (video clips from different sporting events).
- Video Mode: In this mode,
the unit displays video images and/or pre-stored spectrum analyzers with
various information. You can choose from the following display patterns:
Video Full (shows the video from the source connected to the video input),
Video & Spectrum Analyzer (shows the video from the connected video
source in the middle of the display, while showing a spectrum analyzer on
the left and right sides of the display), Video & Capture (periodically
takes a snapshot of the video and shows it in the left portion of the
display, while the full-motion video is shown in the right portion of the
display), or Video & Slideshow (plays the full-motion video in the
center of the display, while a series of snapshots scroll up and down on
each side of the display).
- Note: The Video Mode is only available when a source is connected to the video input.
Image Settings: You can adjust the following image settings:
- Skin: allows you to select the face pattern for displaying information during playback and radio reception. Positions of the display items differ depending on the face pattern.
- Character Color: allows you to choose one of the following character colors: blue, white, green, pink, yellow, purple, black, or custom. For the custom color, you can adjust the red, green, and blue levels.
- Auto Image: allows you to change the display image automatically at a specified speed. You can choose one of the following speeds: Slow, Middle, Fast, or Off.
- Effect: allows you to choose the moving pattern that appears as a visual effect
- Wallpaper: allows you to choose different wallpaper patterns. You can also have the unit cycle through the different wallpaper patterns at one of the following speeds: Slow, Middle, or Fast. If you select User, then the unit will cycle through all user stored images, and if you choose All, the unit will display all pre-stored and user stored images in sequence.
- Panorama: allows you to choose the panorama image
depending on the display mode, you can choose one of the following aspect
- Standard 1: image with an aspect ratio of 4:3
- Wide 1: image with an aspect ratio of 16:9
- Cinema 1: image with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1
- Standard 2: image with an aspect ratio of 4:3, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the display
- Wide 2: image with an aspect ratio of 16:9, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the display
- Cinema 2: image with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the display
- Standard 3: image with an aspect ratio of 4:3, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the area for the Capture and Slide Show mode
- Wide 3: image with an aspect ratio of 16:9, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the area for the Capture and Slide Show mode
- Cinema 3: image with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, with only the left and right sides of the image being enlarged to fill the area for the Capture and Slide Show mode
- Auto Clear: allows you to turn off the text information automatically, allowing you to enjoy only the images
- Snapshot: allows you to store a maximum of 100 images from connected video sources
- Delete: allows you to delete unwanted stores images
- Opening: allows you to select an image for the start-up screen
MP3 Playback: This unit can play MP3 files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, and Romeo formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 150 folders and 300 files/folders. During MP3 playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag information.
BBE MP: When playing back MP3 files, the BBE MP circuit recovers and recreates harmonics, restoring the detail, warmth and nuances that existed in the original recording.
Dynamic Soundstage Organizer (DSO): Sony's Dynamic Soundstage Organizer uses proprietary circuitry to induce subtle phase shifts, simulating a sound source that is placed higher than the actual speakers in the vehicle. For example, when the DSO function is used in a vehicle equipped with speakers mounted low in the front doors, it creates virtual speakers in the dash to raise the soundstage. This unit offers three levels of DSO, each with a larger and higher soundstage. You can store the DSO setting for each source.
EQ7: You may select one of the following EQ presets: Xplod, Vocal, Club, Jazz, New Age, Rock, or Custom. For each preset, you can adjust the following frequencies: 62Hz, 157Hz, 396Hz, 1kHz, 2.51kHz, 6.34kHz, and 16kHz. The level of each frequency can be adjusted from +10dB to -10dB in 1dB increments.
Source Tone Memory: Each source (AM/FM/CD/Changer) can store its own EQ7 levels.
XM Satellite Radio Controls: This unit can control an optional Sony XM tuner. The optional tuner, along with an antenna and subscription, will allow you to receive XM Satellite Radio. XM Satellite Radio programming features up to 100 channels of digital-quality music, news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming.
SSIR-EXA Adaptive Reception: The SSIR-EXA tuner is equipped with "Adaptive Reception". The Adaptive Reception feature has two modes ("IF Auto" and "IF Wide") for optimizing FM reception. The "Wide" mode decreases the tuner's selectivity but results in better frequency response. The "IF Auto" mode automatically adjusts the tuner for a good balance between frequency response and minimum station-to-station interference. The Adaptive Reception feature cannot be turned off.
Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the strongest signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency.
Station Memo: You can assign a name of up to 16 characters in length to each tuner preset station. Station Memos can be used with the List-up function to locate a station.
4 V Mono Subwoofer Preamp Outputs: In addition to the 4 V front and rear preamp outputs, this unit includes one set of 4 V mono subwoofer preamp outputs. Although there are two female RCA subwoofer outputs, the same signal is carried by both connections. A low-pass filter (see below) can be used to filter high frequencies from the signals output by the subwoofer outs.
High-pass Filter: The front and rear preamp outputs have a selectable high-pass filter that may be set to 78Hz, 125Hz, or off.
Low-pass Filter: The subwoofer preamp outputs have a selectable low-pass filter that may be set to 78Hz, 125Hz, or off.
Video Input: The CDX-M9905X has a rear video input that consists of an RCA composite video jack on an 8" pigtail.
Aux Lite Auxiliary Input: The CDX-M9905X has an auxiliary input on the rear panel, allowing you to connect a separate audio source, such as a portable MiniDisc or MP3 player, or the audio output from a mobile/portable DVD player. In the past, Sony receivers required a separate adapter, however, this unit's "Aux Lite" input allows you to directly connect the auxiliary unit to the receiver's stereo RCA input jacks.
Note: If a CD/MD changer is connected to this receiver, you will not be able to connect an auxiliary source without an adapter (158XA300).
Dimmer: This unit is equipped with a wire that Sony calls an illumination lead, however, it acts as a dimmer lead. When the dimmer mode is set to "Auto" and the illumination lead receives power, the display dims to a preset level. The display brightness is not affected by the vehicle's dimmer control. Also, the dimmer feature may be turned off, so dimming does not take place when the illumination lead receives power. You may choose to dim the display at all times by setting the dimmer mode to "On".
Note: For this feature to work, the unit's illumination wire must be connected to your vehicle's dash lights wire.
45-Degree Installation: For flexibility of installation, this unit can be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45 degrees.
Wired Remote Compatibility: In addition to the supplied wireless remote, the receiver can be controlled by an optional wired rotary commander (item 158RMX4S). Once the wired remote is connected, you can use the menu system to change the control direction of the remote, depending on which side of the steering wheel you choose to mount the remote.
Compatibility: This unit is compatible with Sony Unilink CD and MD changers. In addition, this unit can control compatible Sony Mobile Memory Stick players.
Multiple Changer Control: A maximum of 5 CD changers, 5 CD/MP3 changers, or 5 MD changers may be connected to this receiver. When connecting CD, CD/MP3 and MD changers, you may connect up to a total of 7 changers (but there must not be more than 5 of one type of changer). When connecting more than one changer to this receiver, you must use the Sony XA-C30 source selector.
CD/MP3 Changer Controls: When a CD/MP3 changer is connected to this unit, you can perform the following functions: disc skip, track skip, audible track search, album skip, track repeat, album repeat, disc repeat, disc random, album random, changer random (plays all the tracks in the current changer in random order), and all random, which plays the tracks from the disc loaded in the head unit and all connected changers in random order.
CD Text/MD Memo Display: When used with a compatible CD changer and a CD Text encoded CD, this unit will display the CD Text information. When using a compatible Sony MD changer, this receiver can display disc and track names that have been prerecorded on MDs.
Disc Memo: When a changer with the Custom File function is connected to this unit, you can enter names, up to 16 characters long, into memory for up to 110 discs. After a disc has been given a custom title, you may search for the disc, by title, using the List-up function.
Auto Scroll: If the text being displayed exceeds 16 characters and the Auto Scroll function is on, the information will automatically scroll across the screen.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Off button once will turn off audio output, but the clock display and face/button illumination remain on. This makes the clock display and face/button illumination "Keyed" instead of "Unit On" only. To turn the unit off completely, you must press the Off button for two seconds.
Note: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you must turn the radio completely off (this defeats keyed operation), or you may wire the accessory power wire of this radio to an alternate source of accessory power to retain keyed clock and face/button illumination operation.
The Sony CDX-M9905X replaces these items