About the Sony DAV-C900
No wonder they call it a "Dream system"! The DAV-C900 gracefully combines startling home theater performance with plug-and-play setup and use: You'll be enjoying exciting surround sound and a great DVD picture in no time. The ultra-slender speaker/stand towers for front and surround do more than give the system a unique look; at 41-5/8" tall they're the right height for surround sound enjoyment right out of the box no extra stands or wall brackets necessary (see photo). If you don't need the stands for your setup, you can place the speakers on any flat surface.
The 5-disc DVD/CD changer plays DVDs, most varieties of CDs, plus stereo and multichannel SACDs. Dolby® Digital and DTS® handle the surround decoding chores on DVD soundtracks, while Pro Logic provides wraparound sound for videotapes and TV broadcasts. A digital amplifier delivers 450 watts of power (70 watts x 5 channels, plus 100 watts for the subwoofer). And enough inputs and outputs are provided to accommodate a complete A/V system VCR, DBS, MiniDisc, and more.
The DAV-C900's remote is home theater-ready, with glow-in-the-dark buttons and multibrand control for most TVs and cable boxes. The system's handsome silver finish is an ideal match for Sony's popular Wega TVs.
- DVD/CD changer/receiver:
- change 4 discs while the 5th keeps playing
- plays DVD-Video discs, CDs, stereo and multichannel SACDs, and audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs
- built-in Dolby Digital/DTS/Pro Logic decoding
- 450-watt digital amplifier (70 watts x 5 channels, plus 100 for subwoofer)
- Digital Cinema Sound DSP modes
- Headphone Theater mode
- tuner with 20 FM/10 AM presets
- multibrand remote (operates most TVs and cable boxes)
- on-screen GUI
- optical digital audio in/out
- 2 A/V inputs (1 is in/out); composite
- 1 monitor video output (composite, S-video and component video)
- headphone jack
- color-coded speaker connectors
- 14"W x 4"H x 16-1/8"D
- 7-7/8" cone
- ported enclosure
- 9-1/16"W x 17-1/16"H x 16-5/16"D
- 2-way design with dual 2" mid/woofers and a 5/8" dome tweeter
- 2-3/4"W x 8-1/4"H x 3-5/16"D (41-5/8"H on stands)
- 2-way design with dual 2" mid/woofers and a 5/8" dome tweeter
- 10-1/4"W x 3-3/8"H x 3-5/16"D
- overall frequency response 35-50,000 Hz
- warranty: 1 year
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Front and surround speakers:
What's in the box:
- HCD-C900 5-disc DVD/CD/SACD changer/receiver
- 1 SS-WS550 Subwoofer
- 1 SS-CT550 center speaker
- 4 Satellites
- 4 Metal speaker stands
- RM-SS900 Wireless remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Sony Music Mulit-Channel SACD Sampler
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- 59" Video RCA patch cord
- One 16.25' length of speaker wire for the front right channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary red speaker connector on the other end)
- One 16.25' length of speaker wire for the front left channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary white speaker connector on the other end)
- One 16.25' length of speaker wire for the center channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary green speaker connector on the other end)
- One 16.25' length of speaker wire for the subwoofer channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary purple speaker connector on the other end)
- One 49.25' length of speaker wire for the rear left channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary blue speaker connector on the other end)
- One 49.25' length of speaker wire for the rear right channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary gray speaker connector on the other end)
- Operating Instructions
- "Speakers-Connection and Installation"
- "Quick reference for Remote Commander"
- Owner Registration Card
- Important Safeguards
- Warranty sheet
- Power saving note
- Speaker stand note
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony DAV-C900
System Overview: This integrated system includes a 5-disc DVD/SACD/Video CD/Audio CD changer/receiver, center channel, 4 satellites with ultra-slender speaker stands, and a separate subwoofer. A multibrand remote is included for system control.
DVD/SACD Changer: This system has a 5-disc DVD/SACD changer that is compatible with the following discs: DVDs, Super Audio CDs, Video CDs, audio CDs, finalized audio CD-Rs, and finalized audio CD-RWs.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD) Decoding: This unit is equipped with a DSD decoder to enable SACD playback. Unlike PCM based technology (CD/MiniDisc/DVD/Audio DVD, etc.), Super Audio CD is based on DSD encoding which does not require decimation and interpolation filters. DSD is much simpler and enables a 1-bit signal to be recorded directly. DSD encodes music at 2,822,400 samples per second allowing you to hear sound with incredible ease and clarity. DSD combines the advantages of digital recording with the best characteristics of analog sound.
Surround Decoding: This system has built-in Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic decoding.
On-Screen Display: The on-screen display language can be set to English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
Surround: normal Surround includes the
- Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Digital sources are played with as many channels as recorded; 2-channel stereo sources are decoded with Dolby Pro Logic
- Cinema Studio Ex. A: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment's classic editing studio; uses the 3D sound imaging of the Virtual Multi Dimension mode to create 5 sets of virtual surround speakers from one pair of actual surround speakers
- Cinema Studio Ex. B: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment's mixing studio; uses the 3D sound imaging of the Virtual Multi Dimension mode to create 5 sets of virtual surround speakers from one pair of actual surround speakers
- Cinema Studio Ex. C: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment's BGM recording studio; uses the 3D sound imaging of the Virtual Multi Dimension mode to create 5 sets of virtual surround speakers from one pair of actual surround speakers
- Virtual Multi Dimension: uses 3D sound imaging to create an array of virtual rear speakers positioned higher than the listener from a single pair of actual rear speakers. This mode creates 5 sets of virtual speakers surrounding you at approximately a 30-degree angle of elevation.
- V.Semi-M. Dimension: uses 3D sound imaging to create virtual rear speakers from the sound of the front speakers without using actual rear speakers. It creates 5 sets of speakers surrounding the listener at a 30-degree angle of elevation.
- Small Hall: reproduces the acoustics if a small rectangular concert hall
- Large Hall: reproduces the acoustics if a large rectangular concert hall
- Jazz Club: reproduces the acoustics of a jazz club
- Live House: reproduces the acoustics of a 300-seat live house
- Game: obtains maximum audio impact from video game software
- Headphone Theater: allows you to experience a theater-like environment while using a pair of stereo headphones
Auto Format Decoding: Automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, 2-channel) and performs the proper decoding without adding any effects.
- Front Speakers: allows you to select "A" (choose if you are using the supplied speaker stands) or "B" (choose if you are not using the supplied speaker stands)
- Center Speaker: allows you to select "Yes" or "None"
- Rear Speakers: If you choose not to use the rear speakers, you can select "None". If you are using the rear speakers and the speaker stands, you will need to specify the rear speaker position and height. You can select "Behind (A) (Low)", "Behind (A) (High)", "Side (Low)", or "Side (High)". If you are using the rear speakers without the speaker stands, you will also need to specify the rear speaker position and height. You can select "Behind (B) (Low)", "Behind (B) (High)", "Side (Low)", or "Side (High)".
- Subwoofer: the subwoofer setting is fixed at "YES"
- Test Tone: the test tone feature allows you to adjust the volume level of the center, subwoofer, and rear channels. The level of each channel can be adjusted from -6dB to +6dB in 1dB increments.
Bit Rate Meter: The bit rate meter lets you monitor the average bit-rate level on a DVD.
Disc Exchange: You can change up to four discs while playing a fifth.
Resume Play: This feature allows you to resume playback of a disc from the point where you last stopped. The stopping point will be saved even if the power is turned off, however, the stopping point will be lost if the tray is opened.
PBC Playback: PBC playback allows you to play Video CDs interactively by following the menu on the TV screen.
Disc Mode: Before setting Program Play, Shuffle Play, or Repeat Play, you need to choose whether to set those play modes on one disc or all discs.
Program Play: Up to 25 titles, chapters and tracks can be programmed and played in any order.
Shuffle Play: When playing a DVD, you can play the titles or chapters in random order. When playing a Super Audio CD, Video CD or an audio CD, you can play the tracks in random order.
Repeat Play: When playing a DVD, you can repeat the current title, current chapter, or the entire disc. When playing a Super Audio CD, Video CD or an audio CD, you can repeat the current track or the entire disc. In addition, you can repeat Program Play and Shuffle Play.
Scan Search: When playing a DVD, Super Audio CD, or an Audio CD, there are three fast-play speeds available in the playback direction. When playing a DVD, there are three fast-play speeds available in the reverse direction.
Slow Motion: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you may move forward through the program being played in one of two slow motion speeds. When playing a DVD, you may move backward through the program being played in one of two slow motion speeds.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles. This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set two kinds of playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control and Custom Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Using the same registered password, Custom Parental Control allows you to set playback restrictions for a specific disc. You can set the same Custom Parental Control password for up to 50 discs.
Display Dimmer: You can set the display to one of two brightness levels.
Tuner: This system has a digital AM/FM Tuner. You can store up to 20 FM and 10 AM station presets so that you always have easy access to your favorite stations without having to tune them in manually each time. You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each station preset. FM tuning is done in 0.1MHz steps and AM tuning is done in 9kHz or 10 kHz steps.
- On-Screen Display: allows you to select English, Spanish, French, or Portuguese as the on-screen display language
- DVD Menu (DVD only): allows you to select the default DVD menu language
- Audio (DVD only): allows you to select the default audio language
- Subtitle (DVD only): allows you to select the default subtitle language
- TV Type (DVD only): allows you to select 4:3 Letter Box (automatically displays a wide screen DVD as letterboxed on a normal aspect ratio TV), 4:3 Pan Scan (automatically converts a wide screen DVD to Pan and Scan when supported by the DVD, otherwise it is played in letter box format), or 16:9 (used when using a wide-screen TV with a 16:9 ratio)
- Screen Saver: protects against screen burnout by selecting a screensaver after the unit has been in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes. The screen saver can be turned On or Off.
- Background: you can select the background color in stop mode or while playing a CD. You can choose Jacket Picture (shows the DVD jacket picture if supported by the DVD), Graphics (shows a Sony graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black).
- Pause Mode (DVD only): allows you to select how an image is displayed in pause mode. You can choose Auto or Frame.
- Parental Control (DVD only): allows you to enter a 4-digit password to limit playback (available on DVDs with parental support)
- Track Selection (DVD only): you can select Auto or Off. When Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the largest number of channels.
Subwoofer: The subwoofer uses a 7-7/8" paper woofer with a rubber surround. The woofer is mounted in a bass-reflex enclosure and powered by a 100-watt amplifier.
Satellites: Each satellite has two 2" cone woofers and a 5/8" balanced-dome tweeter. The ultra-slender speaker stands allow you to mount the satellites at the perfect height for home theater. If you do not wish to mount the satellites on the speaker stands, you can place them on any flat surface. Each satellite has a set of spring clip terminals that will accept bare wire and pin connectors. Each speaker is covered by a non-removable, gray cloth grille.
Center Speaker: The center speaker uses two 2" cone woofers and a 5/8" balanced-dome tweeter. The integrated pedestal allows you to place the center speaker on top of your television or any flat surface. The center speaker has a set of spring clip terminals that will accept bare wire and pin connectors. The center speaker is covered by a non-removable, gray cloth grille.
Video-Shielding: The center speaker, satellites and subwoofer are video-shielded.
Multibrand Remote: The DAV-C900 comes with a remote that is pre-programmed to operate this system and a number of functions on different brands of TVs and cable boxes.
Front Panel of Receiver:
- Phones: stereo mini-jack headphone output
Rear Panel of Receiver:
- AM Antenna Input: two spring clip connectors
- FM Antenna Input: F-Type connector
- Optical Digital Input: standard Toslink digital input with a plastic protective cover
- Optical Digital Output: standard Toslink digital output with a plastic protective cover
- Video 1 Input/Output: stereo RCA jacks and RCA composite video jacks
- Video 2 Input: stereo RCA jacks and RCA composite video jack
- Component Video Output: 3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "PB/B-Y" and "PR/R-Y"
- Monitor Output: RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Speaker Outputs: Six color-coded 2-pin proprietary connectors for all channels
- Receiver: W=14", H=3.991", D=16.125"
- Subwoofer: W=9.033", H=17.0625", D=16.3125"
- Satellites: W=2.697", H=8.231" (41.625" on the speaker stands), D=3.261"
- Center Speaker: W=10.243", H=3.356", D=3.291"
- Speaker Stands: W=9.849", H=34", D=9.849"
- Front (4 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD): 70 watts x 2
- Center (4 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD): 70 watts
- Rear (4 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD): 70 watts x 2
- Subwoofer (3 ohms at 100Hz, 10% THD): 100 watts
- DVD Frequency Response: 2Hz to 22kHz (+/-1dB)
- CD Frequency Response: 2Hz to 20kHz (+/-1dB)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: More than 80 dB
- Harmonic Distortion: 0.03%
- System Frequency Response: 35-50,000Hz
- Center Speaker and Satellite Frequency Response: 150-50,000Hz
- Subwoofer Frequency Response: 35-150 Hz