About the Sony D-NE10
Looking for a portable CD player that stands out from the crowd? You've found it! Sony's D-NE10 incorporates lots of touches that make it one of the most clever and convenient Walkman players that Sony has ever designed.
To begin with, check out the styling. This player boasts a heat-resistant aluminum lid great if you want to listen in hot spots outdoors and a magnesium back, for an ultra-thin, lightweight design. Have a CD-R/W drive on your PC? Use the included SonicStage® software to record tracks to CD-R or CD-RW in Sony's ATRAC3plus format, and you can fit up to 32 hours of music on one disc! Plus, this Walkman will play your CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3 discs.
Sony also made powering the player hassle-free: it comes with a rechargeable battery and charging stand. Just slip the D-NE10 onto the stand to freshen the charge. Plus, you can listen for 85 hours using the included rechargeable and an optional "AA" in the external case! The handy stick-style remote sports a backlit LCD that shows track information.
- ultra-slim, lightweight design
- plays audio CDs, CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3, ATRAC3, & ATRAC3plus CDs
- in-line remote with backlit LCD (displays ID3 info and CD Text®)
- G-Protection skip recovery
- repeat, resume, random play, and track bookmarking
- 3 preset and 1 custom EQ setting
- Automatic Volume Limiter System
- earbud headphones
- carrying pouch
- Sonic Stage® software CD-ROM
- up to 85 hours playback with included rechargeable plus optional "AA" in supplied external case
- charging stand and AC adapter
- 5"W x 3/4"H x 5-1/2"D
- weight: 5.3 oz. without battery
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
PC Requirements for SonicStage Software:
- OS: Windows® 98SE, Me, 2000 Professional, XP Home/Professional/Media Center/Media Center 2004
- 400MHz or faster Intel® Pentium® II processor
- 200 MB hard disk space
- 64 MB RAM
- CD-R/W drive
- For additional requirements, see Detailed Info.
- MFR # D-NE10
What's in the box:
- Portable CD player
- Earbud headphones (has 17" cord attached to the left earbud and a 30" cord attached to the right earbud)
- RM-MC33EL In-line remote control with attached 33" cord
- BCA-WM90 Battery charging stand
- AC-ES3010K AC adapter with attached 6' cord (3 V/1 A/Tip+)
- One NH-14WM(A) Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) Rechargeable battery in clear plastic case
- EBP-16 "AA" external battery case
- 1 Fabric carrying pouch
- SonicStage CD-ROM for Windows (version 2.0 U)
- Portable CD Player Operating Instructions
- SonicStage Ver. 2.0 Installation/Operating Guide
- "Note on the rechargeable battery" sheet
- Headphone level warning booklet
- Connect Cash card (provides 5 free music downloads)
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony D-NE10
Features & specs
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Analog Output||1 Stereo mini|
|Digital Output||1 Mini optical|
|Car Kit Included||No|
|AC Adapter Included||Yes|
|Rechargeable Battery Included||Yes|
ATRAC3Plus, ATRAC3, and MP3 Playback: The D-NE10 can play Audio CDs, finalized CD-Rs and CD-RWs, as well as ATRAC3Plus, ATRAC3 and MP3 files recorded on a CD-R or CD-RW disc. ATRAC3Plus (Adaptive TRansform Acoustic Coding3plus) is an advanced audio compression technology offering multiple bit rates, allowing you to create music compilations tailored to your listening preference with the ability to get up to 490 songs on a single CD-R or CD-RW disc at 48 kbps (see table below). ATRAC3Plus compresses music files to about 1/20th of its original size, while ATRAC3 compresses music files to about 1/10th of the original size while maintaining high quality sound. Discs must be recorded in ISO9660 Level 1/2 and Joliet formats.
Bit Rate Information: Available transfer bit rates for ATRAC3Plus are 256 kbps, 64 kbps and 48 kbps; for ATRAC3 the bit rates are 132 kbps, 105 kbps and 66 kbps; for MP3 the bit rates are 16-320 kbps. The approximate number of songs that can be recorded on a 700MB CD-R/RW disc in ATRAC3Plus or ATRAC3 are:
|Format||Bit Transfer Rate||Number of Songs*|
|ATRAC3Plus||48 kbps||490 Songs|
|ATRAC3Plus||64 kbps||360 Songs|
|ATRAC3Plus||256 kbps||90 Songs|
|ATRAC3||66 kbps||350 Songs|
|ATRAC3||105 kbps||220 Songs|
|ATRAC3||132 kbps||170 Songs|
* based on 4 minutes per song
Design: The D-NE10 features a slim line design with a magnesium and aluminum body that is exceptionally thin.
In-Line Remote Control: The unit comes with a slim backlit in-line remote (RM-MC33EL) with a dot-matrix display. The remote allows you to access all essential operations using only your thumb, and shows all information indicated on the LCD with Electronic Luminescent (EL) lighting to make it easy to see and read in the dark.
CD Text/ID3 Tag: This unit supports CD Text and ID3 Tag information, and displays disc title, track title, and artist name information on the remote's LCD.
Digital Volume Control: Instead of a mechanical dial volume control, the D-NE10 features a digital volume function for very precise adjustment of the volume level. The volume can be adjusted on the unit or the remote, while the 30-segment volume level appears in the remote's LCD.
Jog Level: The remote features a jog lever for simple, one-finger playback operation.
D/A Conversion: This unit features a 1-bit Quartz Time-Axis Control Digital-to-Analog converter.
SonicStage Software: The unit comes with SonicStage software for Windows, which allows you to create your own ATRAC3Plus music file compilations on CD-R/RW media using your PC. With this software, you can add your own titles and edit your music groups to customize your portable music.
G-Protection: Developed to provide excellent protection against sound skipping while jogging, providing a higher level of shock protection than traditional ESP. The G-Protection feature provides 10-times faster shock recovery compared to conventional shock protection systems, so it will easily outperform electronic shock protection (ESP) systems equipped with 40-second buffers. The memory buffer is refreshed so quickly, that it is virtually impossible to make a CD skip. Note that G-Protection can be manually switched to either position 1 or 2. Position 2 provides an even greater level of shock protection and is recommended while taking harder exercise.
Bookmark Playback: The D-NE10 allows you to bookmark selected songs from multiple CDs, then play only the bookmarked tunes when you insert the CD. You can bookmark up to 99 tracks for pre-recorded CDs (up to 10 CDs), up to 999 tracks for ATRAC CDs (up to 5 CDs), and up to 999 tracks for MP3 CDs (up to 5 CDs). Bookmarks are stored in the player's memory, and are erased when all power sources are removed.
Multiple Play Modes: You can choose from the following play modes:
- Repeat Play: allows you to repeat various playback options
- Group Play: plays all files in a selected group (ATRAC and MP3 only)
- Single Play: plays a single track
- Shuffle Play: plays tracks in random order
- Group Shuffle Play: plays all files in a selected group in random order (ATRAC and MP3 only)
- MP3 Play List Play: plays your favorite play list (MP3 only)
- Bookmark Track Play: plays your favorite tracks by adding bookmarks
- Auto Ranking Play: plays the 10 tracks you have played most frequently
- Auto Ranking Shuffle Play: plays the 32 tracks you have played most frequently in random order
- Program Play: plays up to 64 tracks in your favorite order
Equalizer: EQ sound patterns are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset for different types of music:
- Soft/Sound S: for vocals, stressing middle range audio
- Active/Sound A: for lively sounds, emphasizing high and low range audio
- Heavy/Sound H: for powerful sounds, further emphasizing high and low ranges compared with Active sound
- Custom/Sound C: allows you to adjust the following frequency bands: Low, Mid, and High. For each band, you can choose from 3 different sound patterns and 7 different volume levels.
AVLS (Automatic Volume Limiter System): This player can limit the maximum volume level to protect your hearing. The AVLS feature can be switched on and off.
Off Timer: The off timer switches the unit off after a specified amount of time. The off timer can be adjusted from 1 to 99 minutes.
Beep Tone: This player outputs a "beep" sound when a function is operated or while tuning the radio. The beep can be turned off, if desired.
Hold: To prevent accidental button presses, the controls can be "locked" by activating the Hold function on the bottom of the unit or the remote control.
Heat Resistant Lid: The unit's heat resistant lid dissipates heat so it will not cause internal damage to the unit or burn the user.
Batteries: This portable can be powered using the supplied Sony NH-14WM(A) "gumstick" Nickel-Metal Hydride rechargeable battery, which can be recharged while in the unit. It can also operate using one "AA" alkaline battery in the supplied external case, or it can be powered by both the rechargeable battery and the "AA" alkaline battery simultaneously.
Approximate Battery Life:
|Power Supply||Type of Disc||G-Protection "1"||G-Protection "2"|
NH-14WM(A) Battery |
(charged for 5 hours)
|Audio CD||20 hours||20 hours|
|ATRAC CD||35 hours||35 hours|
|MP3 File||28 hours||28 hours|
| Optional "AA"
(in external case)
|Audio CD||30 hours||30 hours|
|ATRAC CD||50 hours||50 hours|
|MP3 File||40 hours||40 hours|
|One NH-14WM(A) Battery and Optional "AA" Battery (in external case)||Audio CD||50 hours||50 hours|
|ATRAC CD||85 hours||85 hours|
|MP3 File||70 hours||70 hours|
Charging Stand: The supplied Ni-MH rechargeable battery can be charged in the unit by placing the player in the supplied charging stand (BCA-WM90). No charging time information is available.
AC Adapter: The supplied 3V AC adapter can be used in either the charging stand or directly plugged into the player for AC operation.
System Requirements: In order to use the supplied SonicStage software, the following hardware and software are required:
|Computer|| IBM PC/AT or compatible
|Operating System|| Factory Installed: |
|Display||High Color (16-bit) or greater, 800 x 600 dots or more (1024 x 768 dots or more is recommended)|
Environments Not Supported: The software is not supported by the following environments:
- Personally constructed PCs or operating systems
- An environment that is an upgrade of the original manufacturer-installed operating system
- Multi-boot environment
- Multi-monitor environment