About the Sony DSX-S200X
Out of sight, but not out of mind Sony has put a new twist on using your iPod® in the car. Their DSX-S200X digital media receiver stores your iPod, Sony Walkman MP3 player, or USB drive in its Tune Tray compartment inside the receiver. Just fold down the receiver's face, plug your player into the USB connection, and then close it up inside the receiver safely out of sight, but fully operational from the receiver's controls.
Find the songs you want to hear
A neat trick like a hideaway iPod compartment isn't much use if the controls aren't up to speed. No worries here this Sony includes a set of powerful search controls, so finding your favorite music files is a snap. You can search through hundreds of tracks quickly and easily with Quick-BrowZer, or use Zappin to listen to short clips from your music while searching. Sony includes SensMe software that organizes your music according to mood and tempo, so you can quickly find the music that you'd like to hear.
The DSX-S200X offers the sonic tools you need to get great sound in your car. EQ7 boasts seven preset tone curves and a 7-band parametric equalizer, while digital time alignment controls create the perfect stereo sweet spot right in front of you. DM+ Advanced (Digital Music Plus Advanced) improves detail and high-frequency sound from compressed audio, so your iPod and music files sound fresh and lively.
Add on and enjoy
For more musical choices, you can add an optional HD Radio or satellite radio tuner to the DSX-S200X. Ramp up the sound by connecting external amps to the three pairs of high-voltage preamp outputs. Built-in high- and low-pass filters simplify amp setup and control.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Sony stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Sony, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Note: Sony recommends that you remove your iPod from the dock when you leave your vehicle. If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
- digital media receiver (doesn't play CDs)
- built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- plays MP3, WMA, and AAC files
- Tune Tray compartment holds your iPod, Sony Walkman MP3 player (adapter required), or USB thumb drive inside the receiver
- fold-down detachable face with OEL (Organic Electroluminescent Light) 4-line display
- remote control
- EQ7 (seven preset tone curves and a 7-band parametric equalizer)
- 24-bit D/A converter
- DM+ Advanced (Digital Music Plus Advanced) improves detail and high-frequency sound from compressed audio.
- high- and low-pass filters
- digital time alignment
- compatible with Sony satellite radio and HD Radio tuners
- inputs: front-panel USB input, internal USB input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- AM/FM digital media receiver (with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring (attached)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X172)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- USB/iPod adapter (XA-50iP)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- 2 Face-fixing screws
- Content Transfer/SensMe Setup CD-ROM
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Installation/Connections sheet (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- US Limited Warranty sheet
- Canada Consumer 1 Year Warranty
- Tray Unit notes
- Face-fixing screws note
Sony DSX-S200X reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony DSX-S200X
Features & specs
|USB Input||Front (2)|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Display Color||OEL White|
|Key Button Color||Blue or Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
Overview: The Sony DSX-S200X is a digital media receiver with a built-in AM/FM tuner and dual USB inputs. The Sony DSX-S200X's USB ports support iPod/iPhone connectivity. The DSX-S200X also supports HD and Satellite Radio (via optional tuners). The unit features a fold-down face which detaches for theft prevention. It comes with an IR remote control for convenient wireless operation.
Note: This unit is not equipped with a CD-slot and will not play CD-audio discs.
Detachable Fold-Down Face: The Sony DSX-S200X digital media receiver features a detachable fold-down face for theft prevention. Two face-fixing screws are supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired. The digital media receiver's fold-down face folds-down to access the unit's USB port.
Note: No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit.
Caution Alarm: If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the built-in amplifier is used.
OEL Display: The 4-line OEL display makes it easy to read station and song information.
Image Display: The Sony DSX-S200X offers various display images to choose from. You can select between Movie, Spectrum Analyzer (1-3), Wall Paper (1-4), All (displays rotation of all images), or Off.
Auto Scroll: This feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc.
Dimmer: You can manually dim the display at night, if desired. You can operate the display dimmer automatically, when the vehicle's lights are turned on, or manually. If the dimmer is set to automatic, the orange/white wire in the power harness must be connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit in order to properly work.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Off button for 1 second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. This makes the clock display and face/button illumination "Keyed" instead of "Unit On" only. To turn the unit off completely, you must press the Off button for two seconds.
Selectable Button Illumination: The Sony DSX-S200X offers selectable blue or red key illumination to compliment your vehicle's interior lighting.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
True Fidelity Sound Construction: The Sony DSX-S200X FM/AM compact disc player features a newly developed sound processor for less distortion, an S-MOSFET IC for smooth signal transmission, and a large-sized capacitor for deep bass sound.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Sony DSX-S200X utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
CEA2006 Compliant Amplifier: The power specifications for the Sony DSX-S200X are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the DSX-S200X are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 52 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
Three 4-Volt Preamp Outputs with Adjustable Crossovers: The Sony DSX-S200X is equipped with 4-volt Front, Rear, and Sub pre-amp outputs with selectable LPF/HPF (Low Pass Filter/High Pass Filter) functionality, giving you the ability to customize the sound output to your external amplifiers.
- High-Pass Filter: The front and rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
- Low Pass Filter: The subwoofer output is non-fading with a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the subwoofer preamp output's Phase (Normal/Reverse).
Sound Balance/Fader: The sound balance between the left and right speakers (Balance) and front and rear speakers (Fader) can be adjusted to your preference. You can also adjust the volume level (+/-10dB) of the subwoofer preamp output.
Advanced Sound Engine: Sony's Advanced Sound Engine creates an ideal in-car sound field with digital signal processing. Advanced Sound Engine contains the following features: EQ7, Listening Position, DM+ Advanced, Rear Bass Enhancer, and Dynamic Loudness.
- EQ7: You can select an equalizer curve from eight music types - Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom EQ7 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of seven different frequency bands - Band1 (40Hz or 62Hz), Band2 (100Hz or 160Hz), Band3 (250Hz or 400Hz), Band4 (630Hz or 1kHz), Band5 (1.6kHz or 2.5khz), Band6 (4.0kHz or 6.3khz), and Band7 (10.0kHz or 16.0kHz).
- Listening Position: This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound field with the feeling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. You can choose from Front Right, Front Left, Front Center, Custom or Off. The Custom Mode lets you precisely calibrate your listening position from each speaker so that the sound delay reach the listener more correctly. The distance is adjustable between 0.99-9.9'. You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far
- RBE (Rear Bass Enhancer): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
- Dynamic Loudness: Dynamic Loudness refers to compensating for volume level and signal gain.
- DM+ Advanced: DM+ Advanced improves digitally compressed sound by restoring high frequencies lost in the compression process (works only for USB).
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
SSIR-EXA AM/FM Tuner with RDS: The Sony DSX-S200X features a built-in SSIR-EXA AM/FM Tuner with RDS. Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The DSX-S200X offers manual, seek and preset tuning.
Radio Data System (RDS): The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
Preset Tuning: The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
Auto Tuning: You can use the seek button to help you search quickly through the available stations and then choose your own presets from these available stations.
Local Seek Mode: In the Local Seek Mode, the unit will only tune in stations with very strong signals during Seek tuning.
Mono Mode: The Mono Mode allows you improve poor FM reception by selecting a monaural signal instead of a stereo signal.
HD Radio Ready: The DSX-S200X is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (158XT100HD, sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Note: Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website (HDRadio.com).
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional satellite radio receiver to this head unit:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner and the optional SNYSC1 Sony interface module (package item number 700SIRSONY, sold separately).
- XM Satellite: A portable XM satellite radio receiver can be connected to the head unit using the Sony XA-300 UniLink auxiliary input adapter (item number 158XA300, sold separately).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Tune Tray: The Sony DSX-S200X digital media receiver features an integrated Tune Tray to securely store your iPod or Walkman MP3 player neatly within the receiver, eliminating loose wires. It even includes a reminder alert, which ensures you don't leave your device behind. You can easily connect, charge, and control your digital music player with a USB 1-wire connection, located within the Tune Tray. This innovative feature displays metadata like song title, artist and track number on your front display when your music is playing. Capacity of the tray: approximately 2.5625" (w) x 0.625" (h) x 4.625" (d); will fit iPod video, classic, touch, and nano. The DSX-S200X needs approximately 2.5" of open space in front of it for the Tune Tray to open properly.
Note: Do not leave your iPod/iPhone or other USB device inside the Tune Tray in a parked vehicle, as malfunction may result. Do not place a cellular phone or a device with wireless communication functions on the Tuner Tray, as it may not receive phone signals or communications may be terminated. Due to an increase in the vehicle's interior temperature, charging of the USB device battery, may not work, depending on the USB device specification
Dual USB Ports: The Sony DSX-S200X features dual USB (type-A) ports. One is located inside the head unit's Tune Tray and the other is on the front of the unit's faceplate. The receiver's integrated USB (type-A) inputs can be used for plugging in (MSC) Mass Storage Class or MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) type USB devices. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3, WMA, or AAC formats (up to 320 kbps). When playing a USB device, the display can indicate track/album/artist/genre number, track/artist/album/genre name, elapsed playing time, text information, or clock. The head unit can recognize up to 5,000 folders (recommended) and a maximum of 5,000 tracks when connected to a USB MSC or MTP device.
- Search Modes:
- Quick-BrowZer: allows you to search for a track on a connected USB device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist)
- Jump Mode: gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10 percent increments
- Zappin: play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your connected USB device
- Playback Modes:
- Repeat: repeat a single track or repeat an entire album
- Random: shuffle all tracks or a specific album
- Display Information:
- Numeric Text: track number and elapsed playing time
- Alphanumeric Text: song title, artist name, and album label
Note: This unit cannot recognize USB devices via a USB hub. Not all MP3, WMA, AAC files may playback due to file variations. Copyright protected ACC-LC files cannot be played back.
iPod/iPhone USB 1-Wire Connection: The Sony DSX-S200X lets you directly connect, charge, and control select iPods or iPhones via either USB input and included adapter (XA-50IP) or your iPod/iPhone's USB/Dock cable; as well as view metadata like song title and artist on the front display. The DSX-S200X's integrated USB ports and included iPod/iPhone adapter allows you to connect your iPod or iPhone to the receiver for music playback. The head unit will allow audio playback, control, information display, and charging of your connected iPod or iPhone.
Note: Your docked iPhone must be in Airplane mode, which means you will not be able to receive calls.
Bypass iPod DAC: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 120dB.
Audio Playback: The Sony head unit supports audio playback of music, podcast, and audiobook files stored on your iPod or iPhone.
Music Navigation: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit. You can also operate your iPod/iPhone which is connected to the front-panel USB input directly from its touchscreen or clickwheel. Your iPod/iPhone's controls will be locked during connection to the Tune Tray USB input.
- Zappin: With the Zappin feature, you can play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your connected iPod/iPhone.
- Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on docked iPod/iPhone Device easily by category (Artist, Album, Genre, Track, Podcast, or Playlist).
- Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category on your iPod/iPhone in 10 percent increments.
- Repeat & Shuffle Play: The DSX-S200X offers Repeat (Track/Album/Podcast/Artist/Playlist/Genre) and Shuffle (Album/Podcast/Artist/Playlist/Genre/Device) playback modes for your connected iPod/iPhone
Information Display: The head unit will also display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist Name, and Album Title.
Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony DSX-S200X is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of December 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Headunit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Sony Walkman Compatible: The optional Sony Walkman USB Adapter (158XA50WM, sold separately) lets you connect your compatible Sony Walkman music player to the Sony digital media receiver's USB port. Using the optional adapter, the Sony digital media receiver supports X & S series Walkman players. The unit offers audio playback, basic control, and battery charging of your compatible Sony Walkman music player.
Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X172) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions of the Sony Xplod head unit and your connected devices while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIPS, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Content Transfer/SensMe Setup Application: The Content Transfer/SensMe Setup Application can organize your music into playlists that perfectly match your mood, scene, and location, making it easier to choose the music that fits the moment. SensMe actually looks at the beats-per-minute and automatically groups your music (stored on your windows-based computer) into channels, making listening and managing all of your content even simpler. Once you have used the SensMe software to organize your PC's music, you can then transfer that music to your USB device (Not iPod/iPhone) for playback on the Sony head unit. You can select and play a channel that fits your mood from the following categories.
- Time of Day: Tracks are recommended for each time of day. Choose from Morning, Daytime, Evening, Night, or Midnight.
- Music Type: Plays tracks according to the music type. Choose from Energetic, Relax, Upbeat, Mellow, Lounge, Emotional, Dance, and Extreme.
- Driving Type: Plays track that are suitable for type of driving. Choose from Freeway, Chillout Drive, Weekend Trip, Midnight Cruise, Party Ride, Morning Commute, and Going Home.
Note: Use of the supplied software (Content Transfer/SensMe Setup) is required to enable the SensMe function on this head unit. The software must be downloaded to your PC and then music content must be transferred to your USB (MSC) device. The SensMe software is not compatible with iPod or iPhone.
|CPU||Intel Pentium III Processor 450 MHz or higher|
|OS||Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP|
|RAM||256 MB or more (for Windows XP), 512 MB or more (For Windows Vista or later)|
|Monitor||High color (16-bit) or more, 800 x 600 dots or more|