About the Sony DSX-S310BTX
A neat receiver at a nifty price
A neat receiver at a nifty price
It's nice when you can plug your iPod® into your car stereo and play all your tunes on the road, but where do you keep your player when you're driving? Sony's DSX-S310BTX receiver solves this dilemma with its innovative Tune Tray. It lets you connect and store select iPods inside the stereo, keeping them secure and charged while you drive.
Built-in iPod controls
With your iPod safely stowed, you can access your music library using the stereo's controls. Sony's Quick-BrowZer™ lets you search by artist, album, genre, song, or playlist. You can also fly through your library with Jump Mode, which lets you skip around in 10% increments. An additional USB input on the front panel lets you connect your iPhone® or another USB device.
Enjoy PANDORA® Internet radio streaming via Bluetooth
Built-in Bluetooth® lets you talk hands-free, but it also lets you stream music from a compatible device. You can even control your Android™ or Blackberry™ smartphone's PANDORA® app right from the stereo while streaming. iPhone users can control PANDORA® while connected to the front-panel USB input.
Bright, 4-line display
Whether you're making a hands-free call, streaming a PANDORA® station, or listening to your iPod, Sony's 4-line Organic Electro-Luminescent (OEL) display shows you plenty of info. You can also choose between red and blue button illumination.
Fine-tune your sound
Sony's Advanced Sound Engine lets you tailor your sound to match your system and taste. You can set the timing of your speakers for your listening position, so you're always sitting in the sweet spot. Low- and high-pass filters let you block frequencies your speakers can't handle, helping them run more efficiently. Use the Rear Bass Enhancer to dial in more bottom end to fill out your sound, and tweak the overall tone with a robust, 7-band parametric equalizer.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- digital media receiver (doesn't play CDs)
- built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- plays MP3, WMA, and AAC files
- Tune Tray compartment holds select iPods, Sony Walkman MP3 players, and other devices inside the receiver (See Details tab for more info)
- fold-down detachable face with OEL (Organic Electroluminescent Light) 4-line display
- selectable red or blue button illumination
- remote control
- PANDORA® control via Bluetooth for Android phones
- PANDORA® control for iPhone when connected via front USB input
- EQ7 (seven preset tone curves and a 7-band parametric equalizer)
- 24-bit D/A converter
- DM+ Advanced (Digital Music Plus Advanced) improves high-frequency detail from compressed audio
- high- and low-pass filters
- digital time alignment
- inputs: front-panel USB input, internal USB input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver (10-amp fuse)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring (attached)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X306)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- USB/iPod adapter (XA-50iP)
- Microphone (attached 13' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- Visor clip
- Self-adhesive mounting clip
- Two-sided tape 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- 2 Face-fixing screws
- Operating Instructions (En/Sp)
- Installation/Connections sheet (En/Sp)
- US Limited Warranty sheet
- Face-fixing screws note
- Notes on the Tune Tray (inside Tune Tray)
Sony DSX-S310BTX reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony DSX-S310BTX
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Display Color||OEL White|
|Key Button Color||Blue or Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony DSX-S310BTX has built-in Bluetooth hardware to integrate with Bluetooth-enabled cellular phones and audio players. Bluetooth (version 2.1 + EDR) is a two-way wireless communication system allowing you to make and receive cell phone calls, and listen to a Bluetooth audio device. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.0 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony DSX-310BTX.
Pairing: Up to 9 phones or audio devices can be registered with the DSX-S310BTX (only one device can be used at a time). The unit can be set to automatically reconnect to the last connected Bluetooth device when the ignition is turned on. You can adjust the volume for each connected Bluetooth audio device from -8 to +18dB.
Hands-Free Communication: Once the DSX-S310BTX is paired to your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone, you can make & receive hands-free calls from the Sony head unit. The unit's front-panel controls & included remote control can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The DSX-S310BTX can even be set up to automatically answer a call. The unit comes with an external microphone with adjustable gain so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the other party through your car's front speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) & the Hands Free Mode. Using the DSX-S310BT, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's remote control keypad (0-9, *, #).
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing.
- Phone Book: You can store up to 500 contacts in the unit's phone book (up to 3 phone #s can be registered to each contact).
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Voice Dial: You can make a call using the voice tags stored on your connected cellular phone.
External Microphone: The included external microphone provides Echo/Noise Cancellation, with an adjustable Mic Gain (Low/Mid/Hi) to provide great audio performance even in noisy environments. The microphone features an attached 13' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector which plugs into the microphone input on the rear chassis of the Sony head unit. The microphone also includes an adjustable mounting bracket which can be placed on your sun-visor or dash inside the vehicle. This head unit is not equipped with an integrated microphone. You must use the external mic.
SMS Indicator: The Sony digital media player also informs you if you have an incoming or unread SMS message (these messages will need to be read from your phone).
Wireless Music Streaming: You can listen to music from an audio device that supports A2DP Bluetooth technology. Cellular phones that support A2DP and have music stored in its memory can be played through this head unit. You can listen to and perform basic playback operations from an audio device that supports AVRCP Bluetooth technology. The DSX-S310BTX provides Play, Pause, Fast-Forward/Rewind, Skip (Next/Previous), & Random/Repeat playback functions. The volume level of a connected Bluetooth audio device can be independently adjust from -8dB to +18dB.
Tune Tray: The Sony DSX-S310BTX digital media receiver features an integrated Tune Tray to securely store your iPod, Sony Walkman MP3 player, or other compatible USB (MSC/MTP) device neatly within the receiver, eliminating loose wires. It even includes a reminder alert, which ensures you don't leave your device behind. You can easily connect, charge, and control your digital music player with a USB 1-wire connection, located within the Tune Tray. This innovative feature displays metadata like song title, artist, & track number on your front display when your music is playing. Capacity of the tray: approximately 2.5625" (w) x 0.625" (h) x 4.625" (d); will fit iPod video, classic, nano, or touch. The DSX-S310BTX needs approximately 2.5" of open space in front of it for the Tune Tray to open properly.
Note: Do not leave your iPod or other USB device inside the Tune Tray in a parked vehicle, as malfunction may result. Do not place a cellular phone (iPhone) or a device with wireless communication functions in the Tune Tray, as it may not receive phone signals or communications may be terminated. Due to an increase in the vehicle's interior temperature, charging of the USB device battery, may not work, depending on the USB device specification.
Dual USB Ports: The Sony DSX-S310BTX features dual USB (type-A) ports. One is located inside the head unit's Tune Tray and the other is on the front of the unit's faceplate. The receiver's integrated USB (type-A) inputs can be used for plugging in MSC (Mass Storage Class) or MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) type USB devices. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3, WMA, or AAC formats (up to 320 kbps). When playing a USB device, the display can indicate track/album/artist/genre number, track/artist/album/genre name, elapsed playing time, text information, or clock. The head unit can recognize up to 5,000 folders (recommended) and a maximum of 5,000 tracks when connected to a USB MSC or MTP device.
- Search Modes:
- Quick-BrowZer: allows you to search for a track on a connected USB device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist)
- Jump Mode: gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10 percent increments
- Zappin: play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your connected USB device
- Playback Modes:
- Repeat: repeat a single track or repeat an entire album
- Random: shuffle all tracks or a specific album
- Display Information:
- Numeric Text: track number and elapsed playing time
- Alphanumeric Text: song title, artist name, and album label
Note: This unit cannot recognize USB devices via a USB hub. Not all MP3, WMA, AAC files may playback due to file variations. Copyright protected ACC-LC files cannot be played back.
iPod/iPhone USB 1-Wire Connection: The Sony DSX-S310BTX lets you directly connect, charge, and control select iPods or iPhones via either USB input and included adapter (XA-50IP) or your iPod/iPhone's included cable; as well as view metadata like song title & artist on the front display. If you have a newer iPhone with Lightning connector; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit's front-panel USB port (will not work in Tune-Tray). The DSX-S310BTX provides audio playback, control, information display, & charging of your connected iPod or iPhone.
- Audio Playback: The Sony head unit supports audio playback of music, podcast, & audiobook files stored on your iPod or iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 120dB.
- Music Navigation: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone
from the head unit.
You can also operate your iPod/iPhone which is connected to the front-panel USB input
directly from its touchscreen or clickwheel. Your iPod/iPhone's
controls will be locked during connection to the Tune Tray USB input.
- Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on your connected iPod/iPhone easily by category (Artist, Album, Genre, Track, Podcast, or Playlist).
- Alphabetical Search: You can search within a specific Quick-BrowZer category or All tracks alphabetically (A-Z).
- Zappin: With the Zappin feature, you can play music (files or albums) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your connected iPod/iPhone.
- Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category on your iPod/iPhone in 10 percent increments.
- Repeat & Shuffle Play: The DSX-S310BTX offers Repeat (Track/Album/Podcast/Artist/Playlist/Genre) and Shuffle (Album/Podcast/Artist/Playlist/Genre/Device) playback modes for your connected iPod/iPhone.
- Information Display: The head unit will also display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, & Album label.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
Note: Any iPhone should be connected to the head unit's front-panel USB port (not the Tune Tray USB port), so you can still receive phone calls. If you plan on placing the iPhone in the Tune Tray, then the iPhone should be set to "Airplane" mode (no phone functionality).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Sony DSX-S310BTX is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 3/1/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod||Pandora App||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Pandora Internet Radio: The Sony DSX-S310BTX digital media receiver lets you playback and control the Pandora Internet Radio music service that is being streamed to your Apple iPhone or Android. The Sony DSX-S310BTX will also display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app on your iPhone or Androidsmartphone. Your iPhone (iOS 7.0 or later) will need to be connected to the head unit's front-panel USB port with the latest version of the Pandora App from Apple's App Store. Your Android smartphone must be connected via Bluetooth to the Sony DSX-S310BTX (no hard-wired connection required); your Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone must have the latest version of the Pandora App from Google Play. Your Android smartphone must also support A2DP, AVRCP, and SPP Bluetooth profiles. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTG (4G) or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The Sony DSX-S310BTX provides the following control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- QuickMix: QuickMix allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly. You will need to edit your QuickMix station selections on the mobile device before connection.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SSIR-EXA AM/FM Tuner with RDS: The Sony DSX-S310BTX features a built-in SSIR-EXA AM/FM Tuner with RDS. Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The DSX-S310BTX offers manual, seek and preset tuning.
- Preset Tuning: The radio features 5 memory bands to store
and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3,
AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Auto Tuning: You can use the seek button to help you search quickly through the available stations and then choose your own presets from these available stations.
- Local Seek Mode: In the Local Seek Mode, the unit will only tune in stations with very strong signals during Seek tuning.
- Mono Mode: The Mono Mode allows you improve poor FM reception by selecting a monaural signal instead of a stereo signal.
True Fidelity Sound Construction: The Sony DSX-S310BTX digital media receiver features a newly developed sound processor for less distortion, an S-MOSFET IC for smooth signal transmission, and a large-sized capacitor for deep bass sound.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Sony DSX-S310BTX utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
CEA2006 Compliant Amplifier: The power specifications for the Sony DSX-S310BTX are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the DSX-S310BTX are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 52 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
6ch/4V Preamp Outputs with Adjustable Crossovers: The Sony DSX-S310BTX is equipped with 4-volt Front, Rear, and Sub pre-amp outputs with selectable LPF/HPF (Low Pass Filter/High Pass Filter) functionality, giving you the ability to customize the sound output to your external amplifiers.
- High-Pass Filter: The front and rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
- Low Pass Filter: The subwoofer output is non-fading with a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the subwoofer preamp output's Phase (Normal/Reverse).
Sound Balance/Fader: The sound balance between the left and right speakers (Balance) and front and rear speakers (Fader) can be adjusted to your preference. You can also adjust the volume level (+/-10dB) of the subwoofer preamp output.
Advanced Sound Engine: Sony's Advanced Sound Engine creates an ideal in-car sound field with digital signal processing. Advanced Sound Engine contains the following features: EQ7, Listening Position, DM+ Advanced, Rear Bass Enhancer, and Dynamic Loudness.
- EQ7 (Parametric Tune): You can select an equalizer curve from eight music types - Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom EQ7 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of seven different frequency bands - Band1 (40Hz or 63Hz), Band2 (100Hz or 160Hz), Band3 (250Hz or 400Hz), Band4 (630Hz or 1kHz), Band5 (1.6kHz or 2.5khz), Band6 (4.0kHz or 6.3khz), and Band7 (10.0kHz or 16.0kHz).
- Listening Position (Time Alignment): This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound field with the feeling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. You can choose from Front Right, Front Left, Front Center, Custom or Off. The Custom Mode lets you precisely calibrate your listening position distance from each speaker so that the sound delay reaches the listener more correctly. The distance is adjustable between 0.99-9.9'. You can also set the subwoofer distance to Near, Normal, or Far.
- RBE (Rear Bass Enhancer): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
- Dynamic Loudness: Dynamic Loudness refers to compensating for volume level and signal gain.
- DM+ Advanced: DM+ Advanced improves digitally compressed sound by restoring high frequencies lost in the compression process (works only for USB).
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Fold-Down Face w/ Caution Alarm: The Sony DSX-S310BTX digital media receiver features a detachable fold-down face for theft prevention. Two face-fixing screws are supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired. The digital media receiver's face folds down to access the unit's USB port. The fold-down face requires 1.6875" of space to open. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the built-in amplifier is used.
OEL Display: The 4-line OEL (organic electroluminescent light) display makes it easy to read station & song information. The Sony DSX-S310BTX offers various display images to choose from. You can select between Movie, Spectrum Analyzer (1-3), Wall Paper (1-4), All (displays rotation of all images), or Off. The Auto Scroll feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed.
Dimmer: You can manually dim the display at night, if desired. You can operate the display dimmer automatically, when the vehicle's lights are turned on, or manually. If the dimmer is set to automatic, the orange/white wire in the power harness must be connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit in order to properly work.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Off button for 1 second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. This makes the clock display and face/button illumination "Keyed" instead of "Unit On" only. To turn the unit off completely, you must press the Off button for two seconds.
Selectable Button Illumination: The Sony DSX-S310BTX offers selectable blue or red key illumination to complement your vehicle's interior lighting.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Remote Control: The Sony DSX-S310BTX comes with a wireless IR remote control and offers factory steering wheel remote control compatibility (requires adapter that is sold separately).
- Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X406) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the major functions of the Sony Xplod head unit, Bluetooth operation, and basic features of your connected devices while keeping your eyes on the road.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
The Sony DSX-S310BTX replaces these items
- Tune Tray compartment stores your iPod inside the receiver
- built-in Bluetooth and iPod controls
- fold-down detachable face
- Tune Tray compartment stores your iPod inside the receiver
- built-in Bluetooth and iPod controls
- fold-down detachable face
- fold-down front panel with integrated iPod dock
- Bluetooth-ready (adapter required)
- rear auxiliary input, wireless remote
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
6 questions already asked