About the Sony DSX-A200UI
Go digital without going broke
Go digital without going broke
If your music collection lives in your smartphone or other device, you need a receiver that can make it all sound great. Sony's DSX-A200UI digital media receiver offers an impressive list of features for its price range, along with plenty of connections for all your devices.
Big, easy-to-read LCD display
The connections you need
When it comes to playing digital music in your car, the DSX-A200UI has all the basics covered. The sleek-looking removable faceplate features handy front-facing USB and AUX ports on the face, so you have plenty of playback options.
Plug in a flash drive that you've loaded up with music, or connect your iPod®, iPhone®, or Android™ to listen to music and charge the device. You'll be able to use the receiver's controls to search through your music. You can also connect a SiriusXM satellite radio to the front auxiliary input.
Surprising sound and power
If you like big bass, this receiver gives you plenty of it — without the big price tag. That "Mega Bass" button in the photo at right unlocks some pretty serious thump for a reaonably-priced receiver. And if you're thinking about adding a sub and an amp, you'll appreciate the 2-volt preamp outputs on the back panel.
The built-in amp ensures that your music will come through loud and clear, even when you're really cranking it up. If you're the kind of person who likes to fiddle with the settings to suit your exact tastes, you'll be surprised at how much adjustability you get with the DSX-A200UI's 5-band equalizer.
Whether you're listening to digital music or your favorite AM/FM radio station, you'll be able to see what's playing on the single-line LCD display, which shows you track info, station ID and a clock. The faceplate's red button illumination adds a touch of style, and you'll even get a handy remote control that lets your passengers play DJ while you pay attention to the road ahead.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- detachable face with single-line display
- red illumination
- MP3/WMA compatible
- 5-band equalizer
- works with Apple and Android devices
- inputs: front USB and AUX inputs
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (2-volt rear)
Other Features and Specs:
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DSXA200UI
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver (10A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RM-X211)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Face-fixing screw
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr)
- Face fixing screw note
Sony DSX-A200UI reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony DSX-A200UI
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||7 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, FLAC|
Android Connectivity (via MTP): The Sony DSX-A200UI provides playback of stored music files on select Android (OS 4.0+) devices through its front-panel USB MTP-compatible port. You also get basic playback controls (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) from the receiver's front-panel. In addition, you are able to view song/artist information on the receiver's front-panel LCD. Simply connect your compatible Android device with the microUSB-to-USB cable that came with your device. The unit's USB port (1A) will also charge your Android device while connected; the vehicle's accessory key must be set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Note: During connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
USB 1-Wire iPod/iPhone Control:The DSX-A200UI 's front-panel USB port allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone via the included iPod dock or Lightning connector-to-USB cable that comes with your iPod or iPhone (not included with the head unit). This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection lets you directly connect, charge, & control select iPod/iPhones via the USB jack on the front of the unit, as well as view metadata like song title & artist name on the front display.
- Bypass iPod DAC: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 120dB.
- Music Navigation: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's front-panel or included remote. The Quick-BrowZer feature allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, or Podcast from the head unit. The unit also offers Repeat (Track/Album) & Shuffle (Album) playback modes for iPod/iPhone. You can also select "Passenger" mode, to control your Apple device from its own clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Information Display: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track #, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, and Album label.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection (1A) will power and charge your iPod/iPhone. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony DSX-A200UI is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 4/28/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel USB Port (MSC/MTP compatible): The digital media receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that can be used for plugging in a USB (MSC) Mass Storage Class or a USB MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) device; such as select Android devices, digital audio players, and thumbdrives. The head unit supports playback of a variety of music files (including MP3, WMA, FLAC) stored on a compatible USB device. You are able to browse and control playback of the compatible files stored on your USB device through the head unit's touchscreen, as well as view song/artist information. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Compatible Music Files: The Sony DSX-A200UI supports the following types of MP3, WMA, and FLAC files downloaded to a USB MSC/MTP device.
|Media Type||USB Storage Device|
|File System||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
8-320kbps; 16-48kHz |
WMA: 32-192kbp; 32-48kHz
FLAC: 16/24-bit; 44.1-48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||256 folders/256 files|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag, Flac tag|
Display Information: The digital media receiver can display the following ID3/WMA/FLAC-tag information (Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Title).
Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a USB device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10% increments.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device.
Pandora Internet Radio: The Sony DSX-A200UI digital media receiver lets you playback and control the Pandora Internet Radio music service that is being streamed to your Apple iPhone. Your iPhone (iOS 7.0+) will need to be connected to the head unit's front-panel USB port with the latest version of the Pandora App. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The Sony DSX-A200UI will also display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app on your iPhone. The Sony DSX-A200UI provides the following control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony DSX-A200UI digital media receiver is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each in band (FM 1-3/AM 1-2), for a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets. Presets can be stored automatically using the Best Tuning Memory (BTM) feature.
Dynamic Reality Amp: The redesigned, internal Dynamic Reality Amp circuitry boasts 47% lower internal resistance compared to conventional receivers, delivering 55 watts x 4 channel (peak power) to your interior speakers. This allows you to crank up the volume while maintaining low distortion, low noise levels and smooth frequency response. Your music isn't just louder, its clearer too. The power output specs for the DSX-A200UI are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony DSX-A200UI are compliant with the CEA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
2V/2Ch Preamp Output: The Sony DSX-A200UI is equipped with a 2-volt preamp output for connecting an external amplifier. The preamp output is full-range and will fade with the rear speaker channels (it is not switchable).
EQ5: You can select an equalizer curve from ten music types; Country, Soul, Electronica, R&B, Pop, Rock, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Dance, Custom, or Off (flat). The Custom EQ5 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-8dB) of five different frequency bands - 100Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz, 4kHz, & 12.5kHz. .
Mega Bass: The Mega Bass feature reinforces the head unit's bass sound in synchronization with the unit's volume level. Mega Bass can be set to 1, 2, or Off.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face w/ Caution Alarm: The DSX-A200UI features a detachable face for theft prevention. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired. If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the built-in amplifier is used.
High-Contrast LCD: The head unit's LCD screen has 5x higher contrast than conventional screens, and the optimized viewing angle makes reading easy for drivers. The LCD screen displays source information, clock, station ID, and track data when playing back digital files from your external USB devices.
- Auto Scroll: The Auto Scroll feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a USB device.
- Dimmer: The DSX-A200UI feature a dimmer mode to dim the brightness of the display. You can choose from either Dimmer On or Dimmer Off.
- Sound Synchronization: Synchronized button illumination pulses in time to the beat, or changes with the sound levels of the music track.
- Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Source/Off button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the Source/Off button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the Source/Off button for two seconds.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Remote Control: The Sony DSX-A200UI comes with an IR wireless remote control and features a SWC input for compatibility with your vehicle's steering wheel controls via a separate adapter (sold separately).
- IR Remote: The DSX-A200UI comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the digital media receiver. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
- Steering Wheel Control Input: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
The Sony DSX-A200UI replaces these items
- USB port accommodates Apple devices, select Android phones, and thumb drives
- 3-band equalizer
- inputs: front USB port, front auxiliary input
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked