About the Sony DSX-A40UI
Go digital without going broke
Go digital without going broke
Ditching the discs and going digital doesn't have to break the bank. Sony's DSX-A40UI digital media receiver offers an impressive list of features for its price range, along with plenty of connections for all your devices.
Everything you need
Bells and whistles are nice, but you don't necessarily need them to go all-digital in your car. The DSX-A40UI has all the basics covered, starting with a sleek-looking removable faceplate that also offers the functionality you need to enjoy your digital music library.
A handy USB port gives you lots of options for enjoying your digital music. Plug in a flash drive that you've loaded up with music, or connect your iPod®, iPhone®, or Android™ to listen to music and charge the device. You'll be able to use the receiver's controls to search through your music, and Sony's Quick-BrowZer® feature makes it easy to find music by artist, album, genre, song or playlist. You can also connect a satellite radio tuner or a portable music player to the front auxiliary input.
Adjust and expand
The built-in amp ensures that your music will come through loud and clear, even when you're really cranking it up. If you're the kind of person who likes to fiddle with the settings to suit your exact tastes, you'll be surprised at how much adjustability you get with the DSX-A40UI's 3-band equalizer. If you're thinking about adding an amplifier in the future, you'll find a set of 2-volt preamp outputs on the back panel.
This receiver offers a simple control panel with USB and auxiliary inputs.
Whether you're listening to digital music or your favorite AM/FM radio station, you'll be able to see what's playing on the single-line LCD display, which shows you track info, station ID and a clock. The faceplate's red button illumination adds a touch of style. You also get a handy remote control that lets your passengers play DJ while you drive.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- detachable face with single-line display
- USB port accommodates Apple devices, select Android phones, and thumb drives
- MP3/WMA compatible
- built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- 3-band equalizer
- remote control
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for model compatibility)
- inputs: front USB port, front auxiliary input
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (2-volt rear)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver (w/ 10A fuse inserted into chassis)
- Face (installed)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RM-X211)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Face-fixing screw
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr)
- Installation/Connections sheet (En/Fr)
- US Limited Warranty sheet
- Canada Consumer 1 Year Warranty
- Face fixing screw note
Sony DSX-A40UI reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony DSX-A40UI
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
Front-Panel USB Port: The Sony DSX-A40UI digital media receiver's front-panel USB (type-A)port can be used for plugging in a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3 or WMA formats (up to 320 kbps). The head unit can recognize up to 128 music folders and 512 music files per folder on a single USB Mass Storage Device. The DSX-A40UI offers the following USB search, playback, display, and charging functions.
- Search Modes:
- Quick-BrowZer: allows you to search for a track on a connected USB device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist)
- Jump Mode: gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10% increments
- Playback Modes:
- Repeat: repeat a single track or repeat an entire album
- Random: shuffle all tracks or a specific album
- Display Information:
- Numeric Text: track number and elapsed playing time
- Alphanumeric Text: song title, artist name, and album label
- Charging: USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (1A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: Not compatible with newer Android smartphones and tablets which have an operating system of Honeycomb or newer. Not compatible with USB hubs.
USB 1-Wire iPod/iPhone Control: The DSX-A40UI's front-panel USB port allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone via the iPod dock or Lightning connector-to-USB cable that comes with your iPod or iPhone (not included with the head unit). This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection lets you directly connect, charge, & control select iPod/iPhones via the USB jack on the front of the unit, as well as view metadata like song title & artist name on the front display.
- Bypass iPod DAC: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 120dB.
- Music Navigation: You can choose to control the iPod/iPhone from the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. The Quick-BrowZer feature allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, or Podcast from the head unit. The unit also offers Repeat (Track/Album) & Shuffle (Album) playback modes for iPod/iPhone.
- Information Display: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information; including Track #, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, and Album label.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB (1A) connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Sony DSX-A40UI is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 11/25/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel Aux Input: A front-panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device.
Digital Clarity Tuner: The Sony DSX-A40UI is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The Digital Clarity Tuner delivers industry leading signal to noise ratios, lower interference, better multipath rejection and better stereo separation
RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
Preset Stations: The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in band (FM 1-3, AM 1-2).
Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature automatically selects stations with the best signals within the selected band (FM 1-3), AM 1-2) & stores them in order of their frequency.
Manual/Seek Tuning: The DSX-A40UI allows you to manual tune or seek tune AM/FM stations.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune & find your favorite radio stations one by one.
- Seek Tuning: You can use the seek button to help you search quickly through the available AM/FM stations.
Dynamic Reality Amp: The redesigned, internal Dynamic Reality Amp circuitry boasts 47% lower internal resistance compared to conventional receivers, delivering 55 watts x 4 channel (peak power) to your interior speakers. This allows you to crank up the volume while maintaining low distortion, low noise levels and smooth frequency response. Your music isn't just louder, its clearer too. The power output specs for the DSX-A40UI are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony DSX-A40UI are compliant with the CEA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
EQ3 Stage 2: The Sony DSX-A40UI features an EQ3 Stage 2 equalizer with 8 preset equalizer curves for various types of music. You can choose from Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom, or Off. The Off mode provides a flat response. The Custom mode allows you to manually adjust the Low (60 Hz), Mid (1 kHz), & High (10 kHz) frequencies from +/-10dB.
Loudness: This features reinforces bass & treble for clear sound at low volume levels.
2V/2Ch Preamp Output: The Sony DSX-A40UI is equipped with a 2-volt preamp output for connecting an external amplifier. The preamp output is full-range and will fade with the rear speaker channels (it is not switchable).
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face w/ Caution Alarm: The DSX-A40UI features a detachable face for theft prevention. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired. If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the built-in amplifier is used.
Single-Line LCD w/ Auto Scroll: The easy-to-read single line LCD shows source information, clock, station ID, and track data when playing back digital files from your external USB devices. The Auto Scroll feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a USB device.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Source/Off button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the Source/Off button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the Source/Off button for two seconds.
Dimmer: The DSX-A40UI feature a dimmer mode to dim the brightness of the display. You can choose from either Dimmer On or Dimmer Off.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X211) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
20 questions already asked