About the Sony DVP-NS715P
Sony's DVP-NS715P is a technologically advanced progressive-scan player at an amazingly low price! Its high-speed 108MHz/12-bit video D/A converter employs 4X oversampling for the same reason oversampling is universally used in CD players for much more effective noise filtering. Sony's advanced Precision Cinema Progressive de-interlacer has the processing power to deliver flawless, fluid progressive-scan video on every DVD!
Of course, to enjoy the benefits of progressive-scan video more subtle detail and color gradations, and a natural filmlike smoothness you'll need to connect the DVP-NS715P to an HDTV or HDTV-ready TV (like Sony's Hi-Scan models). Or, select interlaced scan for a sharper picture than you've ever seen on your standard TV. For thrilling 5.1-channel sound, simply connect this player to a Dolby® Digital/DTS® receiver.
The twin laser pickup allows the DVP-NS715P to effortlessly read not only standard CDs, but also CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs.
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, and Video CD
- plays CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 CD-R & CD-RW
- 108MHz/12-bit video D/A converter
- selectable interlaced/progressive-scan component video output
(progressive scan requires a compatible TV)
- Precision Cinema Progressive de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing
- twin laser pickup
- Precision Drive 2 system
- SmoothScan and SmoothSlow search modes
- 10-second Instant Replay
- TV Virtual Surround for enhanced 2-speaker sound
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
- 2 sets of A/V outputs (2 composite, 2 S-video, and 1 480i/480p component video)
- multibrand remote (operates most TVs)
- 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
- audio signal-to-noise ratio 115 dB
- 16-7/8"W x 2-15/16"H x 10-15/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
What's in the box:
- Silver single DVD/Video CD/Audio CD player
- RMT-D145A Wireless remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 57" Stereo audio/video RCA patch cord
- Operating Instructions
- Important Safeguards
- Owner Registration Card
- Warranty sheet
- Netflix promo card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony DVP-NS715P
Features & specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Composite Video Outputs||2|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Disc Compatibility: This unit can play the following discs:
- DVD: 5" or 3", "Region 1" or "All Region" discs
- DVD-R: 5" or 3"
- DVD-RW: 5" or 3"
- Video CD: 5" or 3"
- Audio CD: 5" or 3"
- CD-R: 5" or 3"
- CD-RW: 5" or 3"
- CD-R/CD-RW with MP3 Files: 5" or 3"
Precision Drive 2 System: Providing an improved mechanism for reading DVD discs that are in less than perfect condition, Precision Drive 2 improves over last years Precision Drive to further eliminate errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
Pixel-by-Pixel I/P Conversion De-interlacer with 3-2 Pulldown Processing: Sony's Pixel-by-Pixel I/P Conversion is an advanced de-interlacer design with the processing power to deliver flawless, fluid progressive-scan video.
192kHz/24-bit Audio D/A Converter: This player features a 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter.
108MHz/12-bit Video D/A Converter: The high-speed 108MHz/12-bit video D/A converter employs 4X oversampling for much more effective noise filtering. The result is smoother gradation and a more realistic picture.
Progressive Scan Output: The component video output on this unit can be used to send 480p progressive scan signals to a progressive scan capable television. In contrast to the 30 frames shown per second by the interlaced format, the progressive format displays 60 frames per second for more detailed images.
Component Video Output: In addition to the composite and S-video outputs, this unit is equipped with a set of component video outputs. When connected to a television with a component video input, the component video output of this unit will provide picture color and detail that is superior to video from composite and S-video outputs. The component video output may be set for interlaced or progressive scan operation.
Digital Video Enhancer: The Digital Video Enhancer makes the picture appear clear and crisp by enhancing the outlines of images on your TV screen. You can select one of three levels; each level enhances the outline more than the previous level. In addition, you can select "Soft", which softens the image, or the Digital Video Enhancer can be turned off.
Block Noise Reduction (BNR): The BNR function adjusts the picture quality by reducing the "block noise" or mosaic-like patterns that appear on your TV screen.
Custom Picture Mode: You can choose from the following Custom Picture Mode settings:
- Standard: displays a standard picture
- Dynamic 1: produces a bold dynamic picture by increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Dynamic 2: produces a more dynamic picture than Dynamic 1 by further increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Cinema 1: enhances details in dark areas by increasing the black level
- Cinema 2: white colors become brighter and black colors become richer, and the color contrast is increased
- Memory: allows you to individually adjust and store the following settings: picture, brightness, color, and hue
TV Virtual Surround (TVS): TV Virtual Surround generates a convincing surround sound effect using only two stereo speakers, with a stereo receiver or directly out of the television speakers. You can turn this feature Off or you can select one of the following settings:
- TVS Dynamic: uses sound imaging to create a single set of virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Wide: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Night: The large sounds, such as explosions, are suppressed, but the quieter sounds are unaffected.
- TVS Standard: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using separate front speakers that are far apart.
On-screen Display: The on-screen menu language can be set to English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
DVD/CD Text: When playing a DVD or CD encoded with text, this unit will display the text information.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats.
PBC (Playback Control) Playback: PBC playback allows you to play Video CDs interactively by following the menu on the TV screen.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles. Note: This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Angle Viewer: If various angles for a scene are recorded on a DVD, you can display the angles at the same time. The player can display up to 9 different angles at once.
Strobe Play: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you can display 9 consecutive moving pictures on the screen. The pictures can also be paused.
Picture Navigation: You can divide the screen into 9 subscreens and find the desired scene quickly.
Title/Chapter and Track Viewer: This feature allows you to view pictures of the disc's titles, chapters or tracks on a single screen divided into 9 sections and start playback from the chosen title, chapter or track.
Multi-disc Resume: The player stores the point where you stopped the disc for up to 40 discs and resumes playback from the stored location the next time you insert the same disc. The resume playback point is cleared for a disc when you change the play mode or you change the settings on the Setup Display while the disc is playing. Note: This feature does not work for audio CDs or MP3 CDs.
Instant Replay: The Instant Replay function is useful when you want to review a scene or dialogue that you missed. With a single press of the Replay button, the player will go back 10 seconds and begin playing again.
Program Play: Up to 99 titles, chapters and tracks can be programmed and played in any order.
Shuffle Play: When playing a DVD, you can play the titles or chapters in random order. When playing a Video CD or an audio CD, you can play the tracks in random order. In addition, you can play the titles/chapters or tracks in Program Play in random order.
Repeat Play: "A-B Repeat" allows you to select any portion of a title, chapter, or track and play that portion repeatedly. When playing a DVD, you can repeat the current title, current chapter, or the entire disc. When playing a Video CD or an audio CD, you can repeat the current track or the entire disc. When playing an MP3 disc, you can repeat the current album, current track or the entire disc. In addition, you can repeat Program Play and Shuffle Play.
Scan Search: When playing a DVD or an audio CD, there are three fast-play speeds available in the playback direction. When playing a DVD, there are three fast-play speeds available in the reverse direction.
Slow Motion: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you may move forward through the program being played in one of two slow motion speeds. When playing a DVD, you may move backward through the program being played in one of two slow motion speeds.
Display Dimmer: You can set the display to Bright, Dark, or Off.
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set two kinds of playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control and Custom Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Using the same registered password, Custom Parental Control allows you to set playback restrictions for a specific disc. You can set the same Custom Parental Control password for up to 40 discs.
Child Lock: You can lock the disc tray to prevent a child from opening it.
- Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you leave the player in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes, or when you play back a CD or MP3 CD for more than 15 minutes. The screen saver can be turned On or Off.
- Background: You can select the background color in stop mode, or while playing a CD or an MP3. You can choose Jacket Picture (shows the DVD jacket picture if supported by the DVD), Graphics (shows a preset graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black).
- Auto Power Off: When this feature is turned on, the player enters standby mode after being left in stop mode for more than 30 minutes.
- Auto Play: This functions is useful when the player is connected to a timer (not included). When Auto Play is turned on, playback automatically starts when the unit is turned on.
- Playback Memory: This function allows you to store settings for up to 40 discs. The following settings are stored in memory by the Playback Memory function: Angle, Audio, BNR, Digital Video Enhancer, Subtitle, and Custom Picture Mode.
- Track Selection (DVD only): You can select Auto or Off. When Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the largest number of channels.
- Audio ATT (attenuation): You can select On or Off. When On is selected, the unit lowers the level of the analog audio outputs to prevent distortion.
- Audio Dynamic Range Control (DVD only): You can select Standard, TV Mode (compresses the dynamic range for late night listening), and Wide Range (no compression for the highest dynamic range).
- Down Mix (DVD only): This functions switches the mixing method, so "Dolby Surround" sounds ideal when used with a Pro Logic/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver, and "Normal" sounds ideal when used with a normal stereo.
- Digital Out: You can select if audio signals are passed through the digital outputs. You can choose On or Off. When the digital outputs are turned On, you can adjust the Dolby Digital, and DTS settings.
- Dolby Digital: You can select D-PCM (outputs PCM only) or Dolby Digital (outputs a Dolby Digital signal when available).
- DTS: You can select On (outputs a DTS signal when available) or Off. Note: DTS signals contained on a CD are output even if Off is selected.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on certain brands of A/V receivers and televisions.
- Video 1 Out: stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Video 2 Out: stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Component Video Out: component video jacks (3 RCA jacks, Y/PB/PR); the component video output may be set for interlaced or progressive-scan operation
- Coaxial Digital Out: standard coaxial digital jack
- Optical Digital Out: standard Toslink digital jack with a plastic protective cover
The Sony DVP-NS715P replaces these items