About the Sony DVP-NC800H
The Sony DVP-NC800H offers multi-disc convenience and versatility without skimping on picture and sound quality. Its advanced error correction circuitry eliminates nearly all playback errors due to scratched, warped, or otherwise imperfect DVD discs. You'll enjoy a flawless picture on disc after disc even heavily played rental discs that can cause other models to stutter and stop. Plus, it can upconvert DVD video to resolutions up to 1080p, so owners of HDMI-equipped HDTVs can experience the best possible picture from their DVD collections.
The versatile 'NC800H plays music CDs, including home-burned CD-Rs and CD-RWs. You can also pop in an MP3 CD to enjoy hours of your favorite tunes, or a digital picture disc to display photos from your latest vacation on your television screen.
- digital video upconversion
- selectable 720p/1080i/1080p output via HDMI digital interface
- selectable progressive-scan mode for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- Precision Cinema Progressive de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing
- Precision Drive 3 system
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
- 1 set of audio/video outputs (composite, S-video, 480i/480p component video, and HDMI)
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, and Video CD
- plays CD, audio CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 CDs
- plays picture CD (JPEG)
- remote control (multibrand for TVs)
- 108MHz/12-bit video digital-to-analog converter
- 192kHz/16-bit audio digital-to-analog converter
- 16-7/8"W x 3-5/16"H x 17-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
- MFR # DVPNC800H/B
What's in the box:
- Black 5-disc DVD/CD changer
- RMT-D186A Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 46" Audio/Video cord (has left and right RCA audio connectors and an RCA composite video connector on each end)
- Operating Instructions (English/Spanish)
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
Sony DVP-NC800H reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony DVP-NC800H
Features & specs
|Number of Discs||5|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Composite Video Outputs||1|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Precision Drive 3 System: Precision Drive 3 reduces errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
Video D/A Converter: This player uses a 108MHz/12-bit video digital-to-analog converter. This high-bit, high sampling D/A converter helps to reduce digital artifacts to give you a better picture.
Audio D/A Converter: This player features a 192kHz/16-bit audio digital-to-analog converter.
Digital Audio Output Capabilities: You can select the sampling frequency and word length of the audio signal to be output via the digital output. You can select 48kHz/16-bit or 96kHz/24-bit. When set to 48kHz/16-bit, the audio signals are always converted to 48kHz/16-bit. When set to 96kHz/24-bit, all types of signals, including 96kHz/24-bit, are output in their original format. However, if the signal is encrypted for copyright protection purposes, the signal is output as 48kHz/16-bit.
Precision Cinema Progressive Technology: Sony's Precision Cinema Progressive (PCP) system detects image changes at the Pixel level. As a result, the picture is more faithful to the source; whether film or video-because separate, optimized algorithms are used to handle the differing Pixel behavior. Separate algorithms are also used to process the moving and still parts of an image, resulting in sharp backgrounds with moving objects that are virtually free from motion artifacts. This unit allows you to choose Interlace mode or one of the following Progressive modes:
- Progressive Video: optimizes output for video-based software
- Progressive Auto: When this setting is chosen, the unit will automatically detect if you are playing video-based or film-based software and convert the signal using the appropriate setting.
Note: To take advantage of this feature, you must have a television with a component video input that supports progressive scanning.
HDMI Output With Video Upscaling: The DVP-NC800H reads the data on a standard DVD disc at 480P and maximizes the video resolution to best fit your HDMI compatible TV. This unit can upscale a standard DVD 480p video signal to 720p, 1080i or 1080p through its HDMI output. This allows for you to enjoy the best in video performance while delivering digital video and audio over one simple cable.
Bravia Sync: When this unit is connected by HDMI to a select number of Sony BRAVIA televisions and other Sony audio and video components, in addition to audio and video transmission, will transmit control functions via the HDMI cable. Control functions such as "One Touch Play or System-Power Off" operations that took several steps have been reduced to one. By pressing the PLAY button on the DVD player's remote, watch your Sony A/V component(s) turn on, then your Sony BRAVIA television turn on and switch to the correct video input. By pressing the Power-off button on the DVD player's remote you can turn all of your HDMI connected Sony Bravia components off at once.
DVD/CD Playback: The Sony DVP-NC800H can play back the following discs.
- DVD Discs: DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW/R DL
- CD Discs: Music CD, Video CD, CD-R/RW
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats, and DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW discs using the Universal Disk Format (UDF). Each disc can have a maximum of 200 albums of 300 files each.
JPEG Disc Playback: The unit supports standard definition and high resolution playback of JPEG images. This unit will play JPEG files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats and DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW discs using the Universal Disk Format (UDF). Images can be rotated in 90°steps and zoomed to twice or four times their original size. You can change pictures manually, or automatically using the Slide Show feature.
Note: This unit is also compatible with KODAK Picture CDs.
Slideshow Playback With Sound: The DVP-NC800H lets you display images as a slideshow with or without sound. If you want to play a slideshow with sound, you'll need to place the JPEG files and MP3 files in the same folder or you can use one of the player's pre-recorded background sounds. During a slideshow, you can adjust the amount of time each image is displayed; choose Normal (6 to 9 seconds), Fast (shorter than Normal), Slow 1 (longer than Normal), or Slow 2 (longer than Slow 1). Additionally you can select one of the following transition effects:
- Mode 1: images randomly cycle through the effects
- Mode 2: next image slides over the previous image
- Mode 3: image sweeps in from top to bottom
- Mode 4: image sweeps in from left to right
- Mode 5: images stretches out from the center of the screen
- Off: turns off this feature
Data CDs/Data DVD Playback: You can play back Data CDs or Data DVDs recorded in MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer III) and JPEG format. However, this player only plays Data CDs whose logical format is ISO 9660 Level 1/Level 2 or Joliet, and Data DVDs of Universal Disk Format (UDF).
Custom Picture Mode: You can choose from the following Custom Picture Mode settings:
- Standard: displays a standard picture
- Dynamic 1: produces a bold dynamic picture by increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Dynamic 2: produces a more dynamic picture than Dynamic 1 by further increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Cinema 1: enhances details in dark areas by increasing the black level
- Cinema 2: white colors become brighter and black colors become richer, and the color contrast is increased
- Memory: allows you to adjust the contrast, brightness, color, and hue individually
Sharpness: This function sharpens the outlines of images on the TV screen.
TV Virtual Surround (TVS): TV Virtual Surround generates a convincing surround sound effect using only two stereo speakers; either with a stereo receiver or directly from the television speakers. You can turn this feature Off or select one of the following settings:
- TVS Dynamic Theater: uses sound imaging to create a large set of virtual rear speakers and a virtual subwoofer; effective when the front speakers are close together, like the TV's speakers
- TVS Dynamic: uses sound imaging to create a single set of virtual rear speakers; also effective when the front speakers are close together
- TVS Wide: uses sound imaging to create five pair of virtual rear speakers; effective when the front speakers are close together
- TVS Night: large sounds, such as explosions, are suppressed, but the quieter sounds are unaffected
- TVS Standard: uses sound imaging to create three pair of virtual rear speakers; effective when using separate front speakers that are farther apart
Audio DRC (Dynamic Range Control): The dynamic range is lowered so the dialogue stays clear without dynamic bursts of special effects; choose Standard (DRC off), TV Mode, or Wide Range. Audio DRC can be used with any DVD.
A/V Sync: This feature allows for the alignment of the audio track to match the video which is necessary for some new televisions that buffer or delay video.
Fast/Slow Playback With Sound: This feature lets you listen to dialogue or sound while playing a scene quickly or slowly. This function is only compatible with DVDs, Video CDs or Super VCDs.
Note: This feature does not work when playing DTS sound tracks.
Picture Navigation: You can divide the screen into 9 sub-screens to find a desired scene quickly.
Disc Exchange: You can open the disc try while playing a disc so that you can check which discs are to be played next and replace disc without interrupting playback of the current disc.
Multi-disc Resume: The player stores the point where you stopped the disc for up to 6 discs and resumes playback from the stored location the next time you insert the same disc. This feature can only be used with DVDs and Video CDs.
Program Play: You can play the contents of a disc (DVD-video, VCD, CD) in the order you want by arranging the order of the titles, chapters, or tracks on the disc to create your own program. You can program up to 99 titles, chapters and tracks.
- TV Type: selects the aspect ratio of the player's video output to match your connected TV; you can choose from 16:9 Wide Screen, 4:3 Letter Box, or 4:3 Pan Scan.
- Screen Saver: On or Off; the screen saver image appears when you leave the player in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes or when you play back a disc without video for more than 15 minutes
- Background: select the background in stop mode or while playing a CD or an MP3 disc; choose Jacket Picture (shows the jacket picture if supported by the disc), Graphics (shows a preset graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black)
- Black Level: set the black level for the video signals output from the composite Video jack
- Black Level (Component Out): set the black level for the video signal output from the component video jacks (not available when the player outputs a progressive scan signal)
- Progressive (Component Out): allows output of progressive signals from the unit's component video outputs to your television's component video inputs
- 4:3 Output: adjust this setting to watch a 4:3 aspect ratio movie when you have selected 16:9 as the video output TV Type for this player; you can choose from Full (stretches 4:3 image to fill screen) or Normal (black bands on left and right side screen)
- Auto Power Off: On or Off; the player enters standby mode after being left in stop mode for more than 30 minutes
- Auto Play: useful when the player is connected to a timer (not included); when Auto Play is turned on, playback automatically starts when the unit is turned on
- Display Dimmer: The display illumination can be set to Bright, Dark or Auto.
- Pause Mode: You can select from Auto (no jitter) or Frame (high resolution) for the type of picture output in pause mode
- Track Selection (DVD only): select Auto or Off; when Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the most channels
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set two kinds of playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control and Custom Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Using the same registered password, Custom Parental Control allows you to restrict playback of up to 40 specific discs.
Child Lock: You can lock the disc tray to prevent a child from opening it.
DVD/TV Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on certain brands of televisions.