About the Sony DVP-SR500H
Upgrade your DVDs to near HD picture quality with Sony's DVP-SR500H DVD player. Just make an HDMI connection between this player and your HDTV, and the 'SR500H will upconvert standard DVD video to a resolution that better matches your set, all the way up to 1080p. It's a great choice when you have an HDTV and a large DVD collection, but don't want to invest in a Blu-ray player.
If you don't have an HDTV, don't worry this player's full suite of analog outputs lets you enjoy a great DVD picture on just about any television. And like all of Sony's DVD players, the 'SR500H includes error correction circuitry that improves the playback of warped discs, making it an especially smart choice if you rent a lot of DVDs.
The versatile 'SR500H plays music CDs, too, including home-burned CD-Rs and CD-RWs. You can also pop in an MP3 CD to enjoy hours of your favorite tunes, or a disc loaded with JPEG images, to view your favorite snapshots on your television screen.
- plays DVDs and CDs, including MP3 and JPEG files
- multiple disc resume returns to the last scene you were watching on up to six previously watched discs when you power on the player
- Precision Cinema Progressive produces smoother video motion
- ENERGY STAR® certification
- remote control
- selectable output resolution: 1080p signals available through HDMI output only; 720p/1080i signals available through HDMI or component video
- selectable 720p/1080i/1080p video upconversion for DVD (upconverted video available through HDMI output only)
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital
- video outputs include composite video, component video, and HDMI
- audio outputs include stereo and coaxial digital
- 12-5/8"W x 1-1/4"H x 8-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DVPSR500H
What's in the box:
- Black single DVD/CD player
- RMT-D187A Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 46" Audio/Video cord (has left and right RCA audio connectors and an RCA composite video connector on each end)
- Reference Guide
- Startup Guide
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
Sony DVP-SR500H reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony DVP-SR500H
Features & specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Composite Video Outputs||1|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Disc Playback: The Sony DVP-SR500H can play back the following discs.
- DVD Discs: DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW/R DL
- CD Discs: Music CD, Video CD, CD-R/RW
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats, and DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW discs using the Universal Disk Format (UDF). Each disc can have a maximum of 200 albums of 600 files.
JPEG Disc Playback: The unit supports standard definition and high resolution (up to 1080p) playback of JPEG images. This unit will play JPEG files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats and DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW discs using the Universal Disk Format (UDF).
Program Play: You can play the contents of a disc (DVD-video, VCD, CD) in the order you want by arranging the order of the titles, chapters, or tracks on the disc to create your own program. You can program up to 99 titles, chapters and tracks.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Child Lock (Tray Lock): You can lock the disc tray to prevent a child from opening it.
Precision Drive 3 System: Precision Drive 3 reduces errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
Video D/A Converter: This player uses a 108MHz/12-bit video digital-to-analog converter. This high-bit, high sampling D/A converter helps to reduce digital artifacts to give you a better picture.
Precision Cinema Progressive Technology: Sony's Precision Cinema Progressive (PCP) system detects image changes at the Pixel level. As a result, the picture is more faithful to the source; whether film or video-because separate, optimized algorithms are used to handle the differing Pixel behavior. Separate algorithms are also used to process the moving and still parts of an image, resulting in sharp backgrounds with moving objects that are virtually free from motion artifacts.
HDMI Output With Video Upscaling: The DVP-SR500H reads the data on a standard DVD disc at 480P and maximizes the video resolution to best fit your HDMI compatible TV. This unit can upscale a standard DVD 480p video signal to 720p, 1080i or 1080p through its HDMI output. This allows for you to enjoy the best in video performance while delivering digital video and audio over one simple cable.
Slideshow Playback With Sound: The DVP-SR500H lets you display images as a slideshow with or without sound. If you want to play a slideshow with sound, you'll need to place the JPEG files and MP3 files in the same folder or you can use one of the player's pre-recorded background sounds. During a slideshow you can select one of the following transition effects:
- Mode 1: images randomly cycle through the effects
- Mode 2: next image slides over the previous image
- Mode 3: image sweeps in from top to bottom
- Mode 4: image sweeps in from left to right
- Mode 5: images stretches out from the center of the screen
- Off: turns off this feature
Custom Picture Mode: You can choose from the following Custom Picture Mode settings:
- Standard: Displays a standard picture.
- Dynamic 1: Produces a bold dynamic picture by increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity.
- Dynamic 2: Produces a more dynamic picture than Dynamic 1 by further increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity.
- Cinema 1: Enhances details in dark areas by increasing the black level.
- Cinema 2: White colors become brighter and black colors become richer, and the color contrast is increased.
- Memory: Allows you to adjust the contrast, brightness, color, and hue individually.
Sharpness: This function sharpens the outlines of images on the TV screen.
- TV Type: Selects the aspect ratio of the player's video output to match your connected TV; you can choose from 16:9 Wide Screen, 4:3 Letter Box, or 4:3 Pan Scan.
- Screen Saver: On or Off; the screen saver image appears when you leave the player in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes or when you play back a disc without video for more than 15 minutes.
- Background: Select the background in stop mode or while playing a CD or an MP3 disc; choose Jacket Picture (shows the jacket picture if supported by the disc), Graphics (shows a preset graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black)
- Black Level: Set the black level for the video signals output from the composite Video jack.
- Black Level (Component Out): Set the black level for the video signal output from the component video jacks (not available when the player outputs a progressive scan signal).
- Progressive (Component Out): Allows output of progressive signals from the unit's component video outputs to your television's component video inputs.
- 4:3 Output: Adjust this setting to watch a 4:3 aspect ratio movie when you have selected 16:9 as the video output TV Type for this player; you can choose from Full (stretches 4:3 image to fill screen) or Normal (black bands on left and right side screen).
- Auto Power Off: On or Off; the player enters standby mode after being left in stop mode for more than 30 minutes
- Auto Play: useful when the player is connected to a timer (not included); when Auto Play is turned on, playback automatically starts when the unit is turned on.
- Pause Mode: You can select from Auto (no jitter) or Frame (high resolution) for the type of picture output in pause mode.
- Track Selection (DVD only): Select Auto or Off; when Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the most channels.
- Multi-disc Resume (DVD/VCD only): The player stores the point where you stopped the disc for up to 6 discs and resumes playback from the stored location the next time you insert the same disc.
Audio D/A Converter: This player features a 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converter.
Digital Audio Output Capabilities: You can select the sampling frequency and word length of the audio signal to be output via the digital coaxial output. You can select 48kHz/16-bit or 96kHz/24-bit. When set to 48kHz/16-bit, the audio signals are always converted to 48kHz/16-bit. When set to 96kHz/24-bit, all types of signals, including 96kHz/24-bit, are output in their original format. However, if the signal is encrypted for copyright protection purposes, the signal is output as 48kHz/16-bit.
TV Virtual Surround (TVS): TV Virtual Surround generates a convincing surround sound effect using only two stereo speakers; either with a stereo receiver or directly from the television speakers. You can turn this feature Off or select one of the following settings:
- TVS Dynamic Theater: Uses sound imaging to create a large set of virtual rear speakers and a virtual subwoofer; effective when the front speakers are close together, like the TV's speakers.
- TVS Dynamic: Uses sound imaging to create a single set of virtual rear speakers; also effective when the front speakers are close together.
- TVS Wide: Uses sound imaging to create five pair of virtual rear speakers; effective when the front speakers are close together.
- TVS Night: Large sounds, such as explosions, are suppressed, but the quieter sounds are unaffected.
- TVS Standard: Uses sound imaging to create three pair of virtual rear speakers; effective when using separate front speakers that are farther apart.
Audio DRC (Dynamic Range Control): The dynamic range is lowered so the dialogue stays clear without dynamic bursts of special effects; choose Standard (DRC off), TV Mode, or Wide Range. Audio DRC can be used with any DVD.
A/V Sync: This feature allows for the alignment of the audio track to match the video which is necessary for some new televisions that buffer or delay video.
Fast/Slow Playback With Sound: Fast and slow playback with sound lets you advance through scenes quickly without missing the dialogue. This feature lets you listen to dialogue or sound while playing a scene quickly or slowly. This function is only compatible with DVDs, Video CDs or Super VCDs.
Note: This feature does not work when playing DTS sound tracks.
Multibrand TV Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on certain brands of televisions.