About the Sony DVP-CX985V
The DVP-CX985V is a terrific multi-purpose addition to any A/V system. It combines top-notch progressive-scan DVD picture quality with the ability to store and organize an entire collection of DVDs and music discs up to 400 discs total! In addition to regular CDs, the DVP-CX985V plays both stereo and multichannel SACDs (Super Audio CDs) a new disc format that reproduces music with greater realism. Sony's Disc Explorer displays a list of every loaded disc on your TV screen, and lets you access discs either alphabetically by title or by slot number.
These days, most high-quality DVD players offer progressive-scan output, but that doesn't mean that all progressive models perform the same. Sony's advanced Precision Cinema Progressive design has the processing power to deliver flawless, fluid progressive-scan video on every DVD!
Of course, to enjoy the benefits of progressive-scan video more subtle detail and color gradations, and a natural filmlike smoothness you'll need to connect the DVP-CX985V to an HD-compatible TV (like Sony's Hi-Scan models). Or, select interlaced scan for the best picture you've ever seen on your standard TV.
- 400-disc DVD/CD/SACD changer
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, and Video CD
- plays SACD, CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 CD-R & CD-RW
- 108MHz/12-bit video D/A converter
- selectable interlaced/progressive-scan component video output (progressive scan requires an HD-compatible TV)
- Precision Cinema Progressive de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing
- SmoothScan and SmoothSlow picture search
- built-in Dolby® Digital/DTS® decoding with 5.1-channel output
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
- 2 sets of A/V outputs (2 composite, 2 S-video, and 1 480i/480p component video)
- front-panel input for PC keyboard (for faster disc title entry)
- remote control (multibrand for TVs)
- Child Lock (prevents opening disc bay door)
- 96kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
- audio signal-to-noise ratio 115 dB
- 16-7/8"W x 7-1/2"H x 21-1/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
- MFR # DVP-CX985V
What's in the box:
- 400-disc DVD/Audio CD changer
- RM-DX500 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 57" Audio/video cable (has left and right RCA audio connectors and an RCA composite video connector on each end)
- Operating Instructions
- Important Safeguards
- Warranty sheet
- "Music discs encoded with copyright protection technologies" sheet
Sony DVP-CX985V reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony DVP-CX985V
Features & specs
|Number of Discs||400|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Composite Video Outputs||2|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Direct Stream Digital (DSD) Encoding: Unlike PCM based technology (CD/MiniDisc/DVD/Audio DVD, etc.), Super Audio CD is based on DSD encoding, which does not require decimation and interpolation filters. DSD is much simpler and enables a 1-bit signal to be recorded directly. DSD encodes music at 2,822,400 samples per second (64 times that of standard CD) allowing you to hear sound with incredible detail and clarity. DSD combines the advantages of digital recording with the best characteristics of analog sound.
2-Channel and Multi-Channel SACD Playback: In addition to standard 2-channel CD playback, this unit will play 2-channel and multi-channel Super Audio CDs. During SACD playback, the digital outputs do not operate; the analog outputs must be connected to listen to SACDs. There are two sets of stereo RCA outputs for standard 2-channel playback, and there is a set of 5.1-channel RCA for multi-channel playback. For multi-channel playback, the 5.1 channel outputs must be connected to a multi-channel input on a receiver or preamp. Multi-channel SACDs may have 3, 4, 5 or 6 channels of audio.
Precision Drive 2 System: Providing an improved mechanism for reading DVD discs that are in less than perfect condition, Precision Drive 2 improves over last year's Precision Drive to further eliminate errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
108MHz/12-bit Video D/A Converter: The high-speed 108MHz/12-bit video D/A converter employs 4X oversampling for much more effective noise filtering. The result is smoother gradation and a more realistic picture.
96kHz/24-bit Audio D/A Converter: This player features a 96kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converter.
Digital Audio Output Capabilities: You can select a sampling frequency output setting of 48 kHz/16-bit or 96 kHz/24-bit. When set to 48 kHz/16-bit, the audio signals are always converted to 48 kHz/16-bit. When set to 96 kHz/24-bit, all types of signals, including 96 kHz/24-bit, are output in their original format. However, if the signal is encrypted for copyright protection purposes, the signal is only output as 48 kHz/16-bit.
Audio Filter: You can select a digital filter to reduce noise above 22.05 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz), 24 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency of 48 kHz), or 48 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency above 96 kHz). The Audio Filter can be set to Sharp or Slow. Sharp provides a wide frequency range and spatial feeling. Slow provides smooth and warm sound.
Digital Bass Management: This unit has built-in bass management that allows you to adjust the speaker size, delay time, and channel balance when using the 5.1-channel output.
Progressive Scan Output: Progressive-scan video has less flicker and fewer motion artifacts than the traditional interlaced-scanning method, resulting in a superior picture. To take advantage of this feature, you must have a television with component video inputs that supports the progressive scanning mode. This unit allows you to choose Interlace mode or Progressive mode.
Disc Explorer: This unit reads the disc information of all the discs and loads the information into memory so that disc type, titles, and other text information can be displayed on the TV screen. Disc Explorer offers the following modes to help you search and manage your discs:
- File Mode: The player has 7
folders (All, DVD, CD, and A to D) and can display the contents of each
folder. All the discs in the player are filed in the All folder. At the same
time, DVDs are automatically filed in the DVD folder, and SACDs, audio CDs,
Video CDs, and MP3 CDs are filed in the CD folder. You can file up to 400
discs in one folder, and the same disc can be filed in different folders.
- Note: You can set Program Play, Shuffle Play, and Repeat Play for discs within a single folder.
- Edit Mode: You can label discs with a 16-character title (Disc Memo) and folders with a 3-character title. In addition, you can assign a genre label to each disc.
- Sort Mode: You can sort discs in a folder by disc slot number, text information (DVD/SACD/CD Text or Disc Memo), or genre.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats. Each disc can have a maximum of 499 albums and the unit will play no more than a combined total of 999 albums and tracks.
Digital Video Enhancer: The Digital Video Enhancer makes the picture appear clear and crisp by enhancing the outlines of images on your TV screen. You can select one of three levels; each level enhances the outline more than the previous level. In addition, you can select "Soft", which softens the image, or the Digital Video Enhancer can be turned off.
Block Noise Reduction (BNR): The BNR function adjusts the picture quality by reducing the "block noise" or mosaic-like patterns that appear on your TV screen.
Custom Picture Mode: You can choose from the following Custom Picture Mode settings:
- Standard: displays a standard picture
- Dynamic 1: produces a bold dynamic picture by increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Dynamic 2: produces a more dynamic picture than Dynamic 1 by further increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Cinema 1: enhances details in dark areas by increasing the black level
- Cinema 2: white colors become brighter and black colors become richer, and the color contrast is increased
- Memory: allows you to individually adjust and store the following settings: picture, brightness, color, and hue
TV Virtual Surround (TVS): TV Virtual Surround generates a convincing surround sound effect using only 2 stereo speakers, with a stereo receiver or directly out of the television speakers. You can turn this feature Off or you can select one of the following settings:
- TVS Dynamic: uses sound imaging to create a single set of virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Wide: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Night: large sounds, such as explosions, are suppressed, but the quieter sounds are unaffected
- TVS Standard: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using separate front speakers that are far apart.
Digital Cinema Sound: Dolby Cinema Sound generates a convincing surround sound effect using a 4 to 6 speaker system. You can select one of the following settings:
- Normal Surround: standard surround mode
- Enhanced Surround: when playing a source with a monaural rear channel signal, this setting produces a stereo-like effect in the rear channels
- Virtual Rear Shift: this setting shifts the sound of the rear speakers away from their actual position. If the speakers are located in the rear, this setting shifts them to the side. If the speakers are located on the side, this setting shifts them to the rear.
- Virtual Multi Rear: creates an array of virtual rear speakers from a single pair of actual speakers
- Virtual Multi Dimension: creates 5 sets of virtual speakers at about a 30-degree angle of elevation
Picture Navigation: You can divide the screen into 9 subscreens and find the desired scene quickly.
Title/Chapter and Track Viewer: This feature allows you to view pictures of the disc's titles, chapters or tracks on a single screen divided into 9 sections and start playback from the chosen title, chapter or track.
Resume Play: The player stores the point where you stopped the disc and resumes playback from the stored location the next time you play the same disc. The resume playback point is cleared for a disc when you change the play mode, open the front cover, change the slot, or disconnect the power cord.
Instant Replay: The Instant Replay function is useful when you want to review a scene or dialogue that you missed. With a single press of the Instant Replay button, the player will go back 10 seconds and begin playing again.
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set two kinds of playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control and Custom Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Using the same registered password, Custom Parental Control allows you to set playback restrictions for a specific disc. You can set the same Custom Parental Control password for up to 400 discs.
Display Dimmer: You can set the display to Bright, Dark, Auto Dark, or Auto Off. When set to Auto Dark, if you do not operate the player or remote for a short while, the front panel display becomes dark. When set to Auto Off, if you do not operate the player or remote for a short while, the front panel display turns off.
Child Lock: You can lock the disc tray to prevent a child from opening it.
- Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you leave the player in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes, or when you play back a Super Audio CD, CD or MP3 CD for more than 15 minutes. The screen saver can be turned On or Off.
- Background: You can select the background color in stop mode, or while playing a CD or an MP3. You can choose Jacket Picture (shows the DVD jacket picture if supported by the DVD), Graphics (shows a preset graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black).
- Auto Power Off: When this feature is turned on, the player enters standby mode after being left in stop mode for more than 30 minutes.
- Auto Play: This functions is useful when the player is connected to a timer (not included). When Auto Play is turned on, playback automatically starts when the unit is turned on.
- Playback Memory: This function allows you to store settings for up to 400 discs. The following settings are stored in memory by the Playback Memory function: Angle, Audio, BNR, Picture Mode, Digital Video Enhancer, and Subtitle.
- Pause Mode: You can select from Auto (no jitter) or Frame (high resolution) for the type of picture output in pause mode.
- Track Selection (DVD only): You can select Auto or Off. When Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the largest number of channels.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on certain brands of televisions and receivers.
Keyboard Input: The front panel keyboard input lets you use an optional IBM PS/2-type keyboard to label discs and folders.
Warranty Note: Some units come incorrectly packed with a Sony ES warranty sheet, which offers a 5-year parts and labor warranty. Per Sony, this unit has a 1-year parts and labor warranty.
The Sony DVP-CX985V replaces these items