About the Sony SEL100F28GM FE 100mm f/2.8 STF GM OSS
Sony's SEL100F28GM lens renders your subject sharply with smooth background defocusing.
Next-level portraits and close-ups
This 100mm f/2.8 prime lens from Sony is an excellent choice for portrait and close-up photography. With its large maximum aperture, this lens is great for shooting in low light or indoors without flash. Sony's new APD element and an 11-blade circular aperture help this lens provide smooth, beautiful background defocusing to emphasize your subject.
- 100mm f/2.8 telephoto prime lens
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 100mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 150mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization for crisp handheld images
- minimum focus distance: 2.79' (1.87' in macro mode)
- minimum aperture: f/20
- lens construction: 13 elements in 10 groups
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- Innovative STF™ (Smooth Trans Focus) optics for smooth background rendering
- optical apodization element (APD) and 11-blade circular aperture for exceptionally smooth background defocusing
- Nano AR coating reduces ghosting and flare
- Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor (DDSSM) for quiet, precise focusing
- fast auto/manual focus switching with focus ring
- focus hold button for added control
- attachment/filter size: 72mm
- lens is 3-3/8" in diameter, 4-11/16" long
- weight: 24.7 oz.
- front and rear lens caps
- lens hood
- carrying case
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL100F28GM
What's in the box:
- FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS lens
- 72mm Front lens cap (installed)
- E-mount rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH147 Lens hood
- Zippered padded lens case
- Shoulder strap for lens case
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions Before Using
- Limited Warranty sheet
- European Guarantee Information Document
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony SEL100F28GM FE 100mm f/2.8 STF GM OSS
Overview: The Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS lens is a full frame (35mm) telephoto prime lens that is ideal for portrait photography. G Master lenses feature the most advanced optical technology to achieve spectacular resolution. The SEL100F28GM has an 11-blade circular aperture to give you the smoothest bokeh (blurred background elements) possible. The FE100mm lens comes with front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and a zippered storage case with an adjustable strap.
Compatibility: The SEL100F28GM has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount, and works best with cameras with full frame (35mm) image sensors:
- Compatible Full Frame Cameras: The lens is fully compatible with the α7R II (ILCE-7RM2) and α7S II (ILCE-7SM2). It will work (with some restrictions) with the α7S (ILCE-7S), α7R (ILCE-7R), α7 II (ILCE-7M2), and α7 (ILCE-7).
- Other E-mount Cameras: The lens will fit these E-mount cameras, but
because they are not full frame cameras, the image will be cropped:
- Fully Compatible: α6300 (ILCE-6300) and α6500 (ILCE-6500)
- Will work (with some restrictions): α3000 (ILCE-3000), α3500 (ILCE-3500), α5000 (ILCE-5000), α5100 (ILCE-5100), α6000 (ILCE-6000), NEX-3, NEX-3N, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-5T, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, and NEX-F3.
Lens Elements: The SEL100F28GM has 13 lens elements in 10 groups, including three aspherical elements. A new apodization (APD) element, along with the 11-blade aperture, deliver soft, smooth bokeh to highlight the in-focus subjects without distortion.
Direct Drive SSM: A Direct Drive Super Sonic Motor (DDSSM) drives the focusing system, and provides fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus. This lets you concentrate fully on framing and capturing your still images and movies.
Selectable Macro Mode: With a convenient ring switch on the lens barrel, you can quickly select from full range to a macro range. You can choose 0.85m-∞ for normal shooting, with a 2.79' (33.5") minimum focusing range and a 0.14x maximum magnification. By rotating the ring to the 0.57m-1.0m position, you can shoot beautiful closeups as close as 1.87' (22.4") and a 0.25x maximum magnification.
Click Switch: Manual aperture rings typically have click stops at each f-stop. Many professional photographers and moviemakers like the tactile feedback. However, when you are shooting movies, changing the aperture setting creates unwanted noise. You can switch the Click Stop switch to "Off" and the aperture clicks are eliminated for smoother, quieter operation.
Optical SteadyShot (OSS): Sony's Optical SteadyShot image stabilization gives you maximum subject sharpness at lower shutter speeds and during macro shooting.
Lens Hood: The SEL100F28GM comes with the ALC-SH147 lens hood to protect the lens, reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality. The hood attaches to the lens with a bayonet-type fit. The lens hood adds approximately 2-1/4" to the overall length of the lens.
- Focal Length: 100mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 150mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: F2.8
- Minimum Aperture: F20
- Angle of View: 24° (35mm), 16° (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 2.79' (macro switching ring at 0.85m-∞); 1.87' (macro switching ring at 0.57m-1.0m)
- Maximum Magnification: 0.14x (macro switching ring at 0.85m-∞); 0.25 (macro switching ring at 0.57m-1.0m)
- Filter Diameter: 72mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.346", Length 4.881" (5.359" with lens caps)
- Weight: 24.7 ounces