About the Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 G Master
An ultra-versatile wide-angle lens
An ultra-versatile wide-angle lens
Have you ever found yourself backing up further and further to take a photo, because you couldn't quite squeeze everything into the frame? I know I sure have. That's when an ultra-wide-angle lens like Sony's FE 12-24mm f/2.8 G Master is a dream come true.
This versatile lens pairs an ultra-wide focal length with outstanding low-light performance — perfect for shooting landscapes, architecture, and indoor events where space is tight. You can also use this lens for pro-level videography with your Sony E-mount mirrorless camera.
The Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 G Master lens lets you capture dramatic wide-angle views where space and light are limited.
Capture expansive views as well as up-close details
The FE 12-24mm f/2.8 G Master excels at close-ups and detail shots, as well as taking in expansive views from afar. I'd be particularly interested in this lens for cityscape photography at night, where its fast aperture and gargantuan field of view combine for unique, creative compositions.
- 12-24mm ultra-wide-angle zoom lens for Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- 18-36mm effective focal length with APS-C crop-sensor cameras
- ideal for landscape, cityscape, architectural, and night-sky photography
- f/2.8 maximum aperture for outstanding low-light performance, and a shallow depth of field
- f/22 minimum aperture
- XD Linear Motor for fast, precise, and quiet autofocusing
- autofocus system is ideal for high-quality video recording, including vlogging
- customizable focus hold button on lens barrel lets you easily hold focus on your subject
- button can be assigned to perform other focus functions in your camera's menu system
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- protective fluorine coating protects against water, dirt, and smudges
- Nano AR Coating II reduces ghosting and flare
- lens construction: 14 elements in 17 groups, including
- 3 XA (Extreme Aspherical) lens elements for clear, crisp images
- 1 aspherical lens element for an ultra-accurate image from one edge to the other
- 2 Super ED (extra-low dispersion) and 3 ED lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- standard sheet-type ND (neutral density), color-correction, and other filters can be inserted into the integrated rear filter holder
- provides added control over the color and quantity of light coming into the camera
- minimum focus distance: .92 feet
- integrated lens hood for front-element protection
- includes front and rear lens caps, filter template, and soft case
- lens is 3-7/8" in diameter and 5-1/2" long
- weight: 29.9 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL1224GM
What's in the box:
- FE 12-24mm F2.8 GM zoom lens (with integrated lens hood)
- Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- Zippered storage case
- Case strap
- Clear plastic filter template
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions Before Use
- Limited Warranty (US)
- European Guarantee Information Document
Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 G Master reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 G Master
Overview: The Sony FE 12-24mm F2.8 GM is a wide angle zoom lens (SEL1224GM) with a bright F2.8 maximum aperture that is constant throughout the focal range. The lens is ideal for landscapes, night scenes, and architecture, and provides extra mobility for active sports shooting using ultra-wide angles. The SEL1224GM lens has a 9-blade circular aperture to provide beautiful bokeh (defocused background points of light) for more artistic compositions. The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, and an integrated (non-removable) lens hood.
Compatibility: The SEL1224GM has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount. It works best with cameras with a 35mm full frame image sensor, but can work with APS-C sensor equipped cameras, too. On an APS-C camera, it has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 18-36mm.
G Master Lens: This G Master lens features the most advanced optical technology for achieving spectacular resolution. The large aperture lens provides superior corner-to-corner resolution throughout the entire zoom range.
Controls: The lens features the following controls:
- Customizable Focus Hold Button: Pressing and holding the Focus Hold button lets you cancel Auto Focusing and fix the focus at the current distance. When released, Auto Focusing resumes by pressing the shutter button halfway. The button can be assigned to a variety of other functions from a menu on the camera body. (Not available with all models)
- Focus Mode Switch: The AF/MF button on the lens barrel provides an easy way to switch from Auto Focus (AF) to Manual Focus (MF).
- Focus Ring: With the Focus Mode Switch in MF, rotate the focus ring to adjust the focus while you look through the camera's viewfinder.
- Zoom Ring: The zoom ring lets you manually zoom in or out to the desired focal length. The focal length scale is marked on the lens barrel at 12mm, 14mm, 16mm, 18mm, 21mm, and 24mm.
Lens Construction: This Sony lens design features 17 lens elements in 14 groups, including three XA (extreme aspherical) lens elements, two Super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements, three ED glass elements, and one aspherical lens element. The lens also features the new Nano AR Coating II to suppress internal reflections that can cause flare and ghosting. The large front lens element has a fluorine coating that repels dirt, water, oil, and other contaminants that make it easier to wipe off fingerprints that get on the lens surface.
Rear Filter Holder: The FE 12-24mm F2.8 GM lens features a rear filter holder that will accept standard sheet-type ND, color correction, and other filters. A cutting template for sheet filters is included.
Integrated Lens Hood: The SEL1224GM has an integrated (non-removable) lens hood to protect the lens, block off-axis light to reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality. The included lens cap covers the hood, and locks securely with the hood at any angle.
- Focal Length: 12-24mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 18-36mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Aperture Design: 9-blade circular
- Angle of View: 122°-84° (35mm), 99°-61° (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 11.04"
- Maximum Magnification: 0.14x
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.848", Length 5.599" (6.141" with lens caps)
- Weight: 29.9 ounces