About the Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 GM
Fantastic close-ups in any light
Fantastic close-ups in any light
This 135mm f/1.8 prime lens from Sony is great for close-ups, portraits, candids, and detail shots. The 135mm focal length is perfect for taking natural-looking portraits at a relaxed distance from your subject. With its large maximum aperture, this lens excels indoors and in low light.
High-resolution imaging power
An XA (extreme aspherical) element gives this lens extra-precise detail rendering, while an 11-blade circular aperture provides smooth, gradual background defocusing. These innovations from Sony combine to add dimensionality and texture to your photos, delivering outstanding resolution even when you shoot wide open.
- 135mm f/1.8 telephoto prime lens
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 135mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 202.5mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- minimum focus distance: 2.3'
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 13 elements in 10 groups
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- XA (extreme aspherical) element works with ED (extra-high dispersion) and Super ED elements for high-resolution rendering of texture and detail
- 11 diaphragm blades for smooth background defocusing
- quiet dual front and rear XD linear motors for fast, precise autofocus
- Nano AR coating reduces ghosting and flare
- water-repellent Fluorine coating on front lens element for easy cleaning of dirt and smudges
- fast auto/manual focus switching with focus ring
- range limiter controls for fast, accurate focusing
- customizable focus hold buttons on top and side of lens barrel provide added control
- attachment/filter size: 82mm
- includes front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and case
- lens is 3-9/16" in diameter, 5" long
- weight: 33.6 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL135F18GM
What's in the box:
- FE 135mm F1.8 GM telephoto lens
- 82mm Lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH156 Lens hood
- Padded case
- Shoulder strap
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions before using
- Limited Warranty (US + Canada)
- European Guarantee Information Document
More details on the Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 GM
Overview: The Sony G Master FE 135mm F1.8 GM is a telephoto prime lens (SEL135F18GM) with a bright F1.8 maximum aperture. The SEL135F18GM lens has an 11-blade circular aperture to provide beautiful bokeh (defocused background points of light) for more artistic compositions. The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and a padded storage case.
Compatibility: The SEL135F18GM has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with a-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount. It works best with cameras with a 35mm full frame image sensor, but can work with APS-C sensor equipped cameras, too. On an APS-C camera, it has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 202.5mm.
Sony G Master: Sony's G Master series of lenses represents a new level of lens technology. The new XA (extreme aspherical) element features unprecedented surface precision down to 0.1 micron to help achieve greater expression through higher resolutions and stunning bokeh. In addition, the first 11-blade circular aperture in a Sony a lens for soft-edged defocused elements. Each G Master lens features Sony's Nano AR Coating technology to minimize flare and ghosting.
Lens Construction: This Sony lens design features 13 lens elements in 10 groups, including XA (extreme aspherical), ED, and Super ED (extra-low dispersion) glass. The precision-manufactured XA lenses provide enhanced correction of chromatic aberration for the highest possible resolution throughout the lens' focus range. ED and Super ED glass dramatically corrects any chromatic aberration at telephoto ranges, and provides excellent contrast across the entire image.
Fluorine Coating: The lens has a Fluorine coating on the front lens surface to repel water droplets, dirt, dust, grease, and fingerprints. This coating makes it easier to clean the lens.
Dual XD Linear Motors: Sony's innovative XD (extreme dynamic) linear motors help maintain focus on moving portrait subjects, performers on a stage, or other dynamic subjects. These dual front and rear XD linear motors help achieve the auto focus with precision and speed, and provide quiet low-vibration control. In addition, Linear Response MF provides precise manual focus control and instantaneous response when shooting stills and movies.
Focus Modes: The lens has a focus mode switch on the barrel that lets you select AF (autofocus) or MF (manual focus). For AF photography, both the camera and lens will need to be set to AF. For MF photography, either the camera or the lens can be set to MF.
Focus Hold: The lens is equipped with focus hold buttons on the barrel. When one of the buttons is pressed and held, the AF function is canceled and the current focus is fixed, allowing you to release the shutter. To start Autofocusing again, release the focus hold button and press the shutter button halfway.
Note: The focus hold function does not function with all camera models.
Focus Range Switch: The Focus Range Limiter switch (AF range) reduces the time it takes to focus by limiting the distance the lens can focus. With the 3-way switch at Full, the lens can focus from the minimum focusing distance to infinity. In the 0.7 - 2m, you can adjust the focus from 2.3' (0.7m) to 6.57' (2m). In the 1.5m-to-infinity position, the lens can only focus from 4.93 feet (1.5 meters) to infinity.
Aperture Ring: The FE135mm F1.8 GM lens has an F1.8 to F22 aperture range that is adjusted using the aperture ring. When the apeture ring is set to "A", the camera is set to auto iris mode and the exposure is set by the camera. You can manually adjust the amount of light entering the lens by rotating the aperture ring.
Aperture Click Switch: The lens has an aperture ring that gives you tactile feedback when you rotate the ring from one aperture setting to another. These "clicks" can be turned off, if desired, when shooting movies so they won't be picked up by the camera's microphone. The Aperture Click Switch is located on the lens barrel.
Lens Hood: The SEL135F18GM comes with the ALC-SH156 lens hood to protect the lens, reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality. The hood attaches to the lens with a bayonet-type fit. When not in use, the lens hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens. When mounted, the lens hood adds approximately 3" to the overall length of the lens.
- Focal Length: 135mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 202.5mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Aperture Design: 11-blade circular
- Angle of View: 18 deg (35mm), 12 deg (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 27.6" (2.3')
- Maximum Magnification: 0.25x
- Filter Diameter: 82mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.522", Length 5.201" (5.73" with lens caps)
- Weight: 33.6 ounces