It's worth noting that because wide-angle lenses can distort close-up subjects, they aren't the best choice for portraiture or headshots. A longer focal length is almost always preferred in those cases. I highly recommend the FE 85mm f/1.4 GM if you're looking for a portrait lens for your E-mount mirrorless camera.
About the Sony FE 14mm f/1.8 G
An ideal choice for the night sky
Astrophotographers who shoot with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras have a new option for capturing stunning night sky photos. Sony's FE 14mm f/1.8 G offers an ultra-wide perspective, lets in lots of light, and yields sharp, vibrant images.
Use this specialty lens to explore the galaxy, photograph real estate, and capture sweeping landscapes. Videographers will especially appreciate the quiet autofocus system and compact, lightweight design.
Is this lens right for you?
The Sony FE 14mm f/1.8 G has a fixed focal length of 14mm, making it ideal for ultra-wide shots and capturing close-up details. Keep in mind that this lens does not zoom, so you'll change your perspective and composition by physically moving closer to or farther away from your subject.
- 14mm ultra-wide-angle prime lensfor Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras
- 21mm effective focal length with APS-C crop-sensor cameras
- capture dramatic wide-angle views where space and light are limited
- ideal for landscape, cityscape, architectural, and astrophotography
- f/1.8 maximum aperture for outstanding low-light performance
- two XD (Extreme Dynamic) Linear Motors for fast, precise autofocus and tracking
- quiet autofocus for shooting video, including vlogging
Design and construction:
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- protective fluorine coating protects against water, dirt, and smudges
- lens construction: 14 elements in 11 groups
- two XA (Extreme Aspherical) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- Nano AR Coating II reduces ghosting and flare
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- customizable focus hold button on lens barrel lets you easily hold focus on your subject
- button can be assigned to perform other focus functions in your camera's menu system
- aperture click switch gives you tactile feedback when shooting stills
- clicking can be switched off for silent aperture adjustments when shooting video
- standard sheet-type ND (neutral density), color-correction, and other filters can be inserted into the integrated rear filter holder
- provides added control over the color and quantity of light coming into the camera
- integrated petal-style lens hood
- minimum focus distance: .81 feet
- soft case
- filter template
- front and rear lens caps
Dimensions and warranty:
- lens is 3-3/8" in diameter and 4" long
- weight: 16.3 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL14F18GM
What's in the box:
- FE 14mm F1.8 GM prime lens
- Front lens cap (installed)
- ALC-R1EM rear lens cap (installed)
- Filter template
- Soft lens case
- Case Strap
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions before using
- Limited Warranty (US+Canada)
- European Guarantee Information Document
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony FE 14mm f/1.8 G
Overview: The Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM wide angle prime lens is ideal for portrait, landscapes, and architecture photography, as well as movies. The large F1.8 maximum aperture is designed to give you clear images in low light situations and a shallow depth-of-field. The SEL14F18GM lens has a 9-blade circular aperture to provide a smooth bokeh effect (defocused background points of light) for more artistic compositions. The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, an integrated lens hood, and a soft fabric storage pouch.
G Master: Every aspect of Sony G Master (GM) series lenses is refined to fully meet professional requirements in the studio or out in the field. G Master lenses feature unparalleled imaging performance, including outstanding speed, efficiency, and reliability. The lenses are sealed to resist dust and moisture for years of reliabity and performance.
Compatibility: The SEL14F18GM has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount. It works best with cameras with a 35mm full frame image sensor, but can work with APS-C sensor equipped cameras, too. On an APS-C camera, it has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 21mm.
Lens Construction: This Sony lens design features 14 lens elements in 11 groups, including two XA (eXtreme Aspheric) elements for excellent resolution, two ED (Extra-low Dispersion), and one Super ED glass elements to reduce flare and ghosting, and to suppress color bleeding. The lens also has Nano AR Coating II to suppress reflections, flare, and ghosting. A Fluorine coating on the front and rear elements helps to keep the lens clean by repelling dirt, oils, and fingerprints.
XD Motors: The lens is equipped with two XD (eXtreme Dynamic) Linear motors for fast, quiet, and precise auto focusing.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch lets you switch from Auto Focusing (AF) to Manual Focusing (MF), or from MF to AF. For AF photography, both the camera and the lens must be set to AF. For MF photography, either the camera or the lens (or both) should be set to MF. To focus manually, rotate the focus ring.
Focus Hold: When in Auto Focus mode, pressing and holding the Focus Hold button cancels AF and fixes the focus at the current distance. To restart Auto Focusing, you'll need to release the Focus Hold button and press the shutter button halfway. (Focus Hold does not function with some camera models.)
Aperture Ring: The lens has an F1.8 to F16 aperture range that is adjusted using the aperture ring. When the apeture ring is set to "A", the camera is set to auto iris mode and the exposure is set by the camera. You can manually adjust the amount of light entering the lens by rotating the aperture ring.
Aperture Click Switch: The lens has an aperture ring that gives you tactile feedback when you rotate the ring from one aperture setting to another. These "clicks" can be turned off, if desired, when shooting movies so they won't be picked up by the camera's microphone. The Aperture Click Switch is located on the lens barrel.
Lens Hood: The SEL14F18GM has a fixed lens hood to protect the lens, reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality.
Rear Filter Holder: There is no filter thread at the end of the lens. A rear filter holder is located in the lens' mount opening. The lens comes with a template for making filters from commercially-available gelatin filter sheets. Using the template and a thin-tipped, oil-based pen, you can trace the shape of the template onto the filter sheet, then cut along the outside of the lines. Filters should be removed from the rear filter holder if you will not be taking photos for a long time.
- Focal Length: 14mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 21mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/16
- Aperture Design: 9-blade circular
- Angle of View: 114° (35mm), 91° (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 9.84"
- Maximum Magnification: 0.1x (manual focus)
- Filter: rear filter holder; template included
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.263", Length 4.14" (4.632" with lens caps)
- Weight: 16.3 ounces