About the Sony E 16-55mm f/2.8 G
A fantastic lens for any occasion
A fantastic lens for any occasion
This versatile 16-55mm zoom is an excellent companion for APS-C sensor Sony mirrorless cameras. You can use it to capture beautiful portraits — indoors or out — in practically any light, and it's a brilliant choice for close-up detail shots as well as wide-angle landscapes and group shots.
Great photos indoors or out
While this lens's generous f/2.8 maximum aperture makes it well-suited for indoor shooting, particularly in cramped quarters, its rugged construction lends itself nicely to outdoor photography in just about any conditions. If you're out shooting on the beach and the wind starts kicking up sand, you won't have to worry — the dust- and moisture-resistant design means you can keep shooting even when the weather gets dicey.
All roads lead to sharpness and clarity
A constant f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the zoom range ensures your images will be consistently well-exposed by allowing you to change focal lengths without having to adjust your exposure settings once you've gotten them dialed in. Sony's Nano AR coating minimizes lens flare and ghosting and improves contrast and clarity. Specialized lens elements combine to give you high-resolution images with accurate color rendering and minimal distortion, while the 11-blade circular aperture gives you natural-looking defocused background highlights, drawing all the attention to your subject.
- compatible with APS-C sensor Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length: 24-82.5mm
- constant f/2.8 maximum aperture for consistent low-light performance throughout zoom range
- Nano AR anti-reflective coating for effective reduction of lens flare and ghosting
- water-repellent Fluorine coating on front lens element for easy cleaning of dirt and smudges
- quiet XD (extreme dynamic) linear motor for fast, precise autofocus
- customizable focus hold button for added control
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- minimum focus distance: 1.09'
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 17 elements in 12 groups
- two AA (advanced aspherical) elements work with two aspherical elements and three ED (extra-low dispersion) elements for high-resolution rendering of texture and detail
- 9 aperture blades for smooth background defocusing
- attachment/filter size: 67mm
- includes front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and case
- lens is 2-7/8" in diameter, 3-15/16" long
- weight: 17.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL1655G
What's in the box:
- E 16-55mm F2.8 G lens (SEL1655G)
- 67mm Lens cap (installed)
- E-mount rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH161 Lens hood
- Soft lens case
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions before use
- Limited Warranty (US+Canada)
- European Guarantee Information Document
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony E 16-55mm f/2.8 G
Overview: The Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G (SEL1655G) is wide-to-standard zoom lens for Sony mirrorless cameras with the E-mount, especially those with an APS-C image sensor. It has a constant F2.8 maximum aperture to give you high performance, especially in low light situations. Sony G lenses are designed and manufactured to the highest standards of optical performance, giving you superb clarity and sharpness at all focal lengths.
Lens Construction: The SEL1655G has 17 elements in 12 groups, including two Advanced aspherical (AA) lenses, two aspherical elements, and three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass lenses to supress aberrations, and provide high resolution throughout the zoom range. It features a moisture- and dust-resistant design, and Sony's Nano AR Coating to eliminate flare and ghosting. The front lens element has a fluorine coating that repels moisture, fingerprints, and dirt.
XD Linear Motor: The lens utilizes its XD Linear Motor to capitilize on the speed potential of the camera body and give you fast focusing, and to track moving subjects wherever they go. The motor operates in total silence which makes it ideal for recording videos.
Circular Aperture: The lens is equipped with a 9-blade circular aperture which provides smooth, natural defocusing.
Focus Mode Switch: The lens has a Focus Mode Switch to let you choose between Auto and Manual Focus. For AF photography, you should set both the camera and the lens to AF. For Manual Focus, you can have either the camera or the lens set to MF.
Focus Hold: The SEL1655G is equipped with a Focus Hold button on the lens barrel. When shooting in Auto Focus mode, pressing the Focus Hold button cancels the AF to fix the current focus, allowing you to take the shot. Releasing the button while pressing the shutter button halfway starts AF again.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the petal-shaped ALC-SH161 lens hood which helps prevent lens flare, and protects the front lens element. When installed, the lens hood adds approximately 1-1/4" to the overall length of the lens. The hood can be stored on the lens by installing it backwards.
Lens Case: A padded, black vinyl lens case is included with the lens. It has a draw-string closure at the top of the pouch to secure the lens in the case.
- Focal Length: 16 - 55mm
- 35mm Equivalent: 24 - 82.5mm
- Angle of View (APS-C Sensor): 83° - 29°
- Maximum Aperture: F2.8 (W-T)
- Minimum Aperture: F22 (W-T)
- Maximum Magnification: 0.2x
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1.09' (13.08")
- Lens Construction: 17 elements in 12 groups
- Filter Diameter: 67mm
- Physical Dimensions:
- Length: 4.16" (4.65" w/lens caps)
- Diameter: 2.885"
- Weight: 17.5 ounces