About the Sony Alpha FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS
Perfect for sports and wildlife shooters, Sony's 100-400mm G Master super telephoto zoom lens lets you capture distant action with outstanding image quality. This versatile lens has the optics, performance, and portability to support even the most demanding professional working needs.
Sample photo taken with Sony Alpha FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS
Great photos anywhere, anytime, rain or shine
Great for outdoor photography in any season, the lens's dust- and moisture-resistant construction means that if the weather takes a turn, you won't have to pack it in until you're ready. Its focal range and f/4-f/5.6 maximum aperture let you play up your subject by compressing and blurring the background, making it an excellent choice for portraits and close-ups in addition to sports and wildlife photography.
Stay focused on important details
Sony's quiet double linear motors ensure fast, precise focus for smooth video rendering and responsiveness during continuous still shooting. Once you've acquired your target, the focus hold button lets you lock the focus where you want it.
Keep it steady
Sony's optical image stabilization works in two ways to give you crisp photos and smooth videos in all kinds of different scenes and lighting conditions. Option one ensures sharp handheld images at longer focal lengths, slower shutter speeds, or in low light. Option two is a panning mode switch that compensates for subjects moving horizontally across the image plane.
- 100-400mm f/4-5.6 telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 100-400mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 150-600mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- Nano AR coating minimizes ghosting and flare
- Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization for crisp handheld images
- dust- and moisture-resistant
- 2 ED (extra-low dispersion) elements and 1 Super ED element for high-resolution rendering of texture and detail
- focus hold button for added control
- DDSSM (Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor) and double linear motor work together for rapid, precise focusing
- zoom torque adjustment for fast or slow zooming
- minimum focus distance: 3.22'
- minimum aperture: f/40
- lens construction: 16 elements in 22 groups
- 9 rounded aperture blades for smooth background defocusing
- filter/attachment size: 77mm
- lens is 3-3/4" in diameter and 8-1/8" long
- weight: 49.3 oz. without tripod mount
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, tripod mount, soft storage pouch
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL100400GM
What's in the box:
- FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens
- 77mm Front lens cap (installed)
- E-mount rear lens cover (installed)
- Tripod collar ring (installed)
- ALC-SH151 Lens hood
- Padded lens case
- Lens case strap
- Precautions Before Using
- Operating Instructions
- Limited Warranty
- European Guarantee Information Document
Sony Alpha FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony Alpha FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS
Overview: The Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS G Master lens is a full frame (35mm) super-telephoto zoom lens that is ideal for sports and wildlife photography, and other subjects that require a long reach. G Master lenses feature the most advanced optical technology to achieve spectacular resolution. The SEL100400GM has a 9-blade circular aperture for gorgeous background bokeh (blurred background elements). The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, tripod collar, lens hood, and a soft zippered storage case.
Compatibility: The SEL100400GM has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount, and works best with cameras with full frame (35mm) image sensors. It also works with E-series camera with an APS-C image sensor, however, the equivalent focal length will be 150-600mm, and the image will be cropped.
Lens Elements: The SEL100400GM has 22 lens elements in 16 groups, including two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and one Super ED glass element to reduce axial chromatic aberration. Sony's Nano AR Coating suppresses reflections that cause flare and ghosting in backlit and other challenging lighting situations. The front element has a fluorine coating that helps prevent dirt and fingerprints from sticking. You can easily wipe smudges away in case they appear on the lens surface.
Focusing System: The lens features a double linear motor and DDSSM (Direct Drive Super Sonic wave Motor) for fast, accurate autofocusing. The DDSSM operates silently, making it ideal for shooting movies in scenes where the focus is constantly changing.
Controls: The FE 100-400mm lens has large zoom and manual focusing rings. A zoom smoothness adjuster lets you increase or decrease the tension for rotating the zoom ring. The adjuster has a range of "smooth" to "tight." Other lens controls include:
- Focus Mode: You can switch between Autofocus (AF) and Manual Focus (MF) with this 2-way switch. For AF photography, both the camera and the lens must be set to AF. For MF photography, either or both the lens and camera should be set to MF.
- Focus-range Limiter: If the subject distance will be fairly consistent, you can limit the range of the minimum and maximum focusing distances. This helps save time when making small focus adjustments. The 2-way switch lets you choose between Full (no limit) and Infinity (∞) - 3m (when the subject is 9.8 feet away or more).
- Optical SteadyShot: The lens has built-in Optical SteadyShot, making it easier to shoot blur-free images without a tripod. When used with α-series cameras featuring in-body stabilization, OSS will provide 5-axis stabilization.
- OSS Mode: When Optical SteadyShot is engaged, you can switch between Mode 1 (compensate for normal camera shake) and Mode 2 (compensate for camera shake when panning moving subjects).
- Focus Hold: Three focus hold buttons are placed around the lens barrel. When shooting in AF, you can press a focus hold button to turn off autofocusing to fix the focus before shooting. To start AF again, release the focus-hold button and press the shutter button halfway.
Optional Teleconverters: The SEL100400GM is compatible with Sony's high performance teleconverters. The SEL14TC provides a 1.4x increase in focal length, while the SEL20TC increases the focal length by 2x. That's a maximum focal length of 800mm (35mm) or 1200mm (APS-C).
Tripod Mount: The lens comes with a removable tripod mount that allows you to quickly attach or remove the camera from a tripod. Because of the size and weight of the lens, attaching a tripod to the lens' tripod mount provides better balance and security. When using the tripod mount, you can easily switch between horizontal and vertical shooting by loosening the ring-locking knob and rotating the lens inside of the collar. Tripod collar ring indexes (gray dots) are located at 90° intervals on the collar ring for precise positioning.
Lens Hood: The SEL100400GM comes with the ALC-SH151 pro-style lens hood for blocking incidental light that may cause flare and ghosting to maintain optimum clarity and contrast. The hood has an access window for operating a polarizing filter without having to remove the hood. A hood lock switch is provided to prevent accidental detachment or rotation of the lens hood while shooting or moving around.
- Focal Length: 100-400mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 150-600mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f/4.5 - f/5.6
- Minimum Aperture: f/32 - f/40
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Angle of View: 24° - 6°10' (35mm), 16° - 4°10' (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.22' (38.64")
- Maximum Magnification: 0.35x
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.744", Length 8.308" (8.821" with lens caps)
- Weight: 49.3 ounces