About the Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G
Take gorgeous images, even in low light
Take gorgeous images, even in low light
When I set out to photograph a sunrise, a wide-angle lens — like Sony's FE 20mm f/1.8 G — is my go-to choice for getting great shots. This lens pairs a versatile focal length with excellent low-light performance. It's a wonderful choice for shooting landscapes, astrophotography, and architecture with a Sony E-mount mirrorless camera.
Capture expansive views as well as up-close details
This lens has a fixed focal length of 20mm, making it ideal for close-ups and detail shots, as well as taking in expansive views from afar. Keep in mind that this lens does not zoom, so you'll change your perspective and composition by physically moving closer to or farther away from your subject.
- 20mm ultra-wide-angle prime lens for Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- 30mm effective focal length with APS-C crop-sensor cameras
- ideal for landscape, cityscape, architectural, and astrophotography
- f/1.8 maximum aperture for outstanding low-light performance and an ultra-shallow depth of field
- f/22 minimum aperture
- quiet autofocus for shooting video, including vlogging
- customizable focus hold button on lens barrel lets you easily hold focus on your subject
- button can be assigned to perform other focus functions in your camera's menu system
- switchable aperture ring gives you tactile feedback (clicks) when shooting stills
- clicking can be switched off for silent aperture adjustments when shooting video
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- protective fluorine coating protects against water, dirt, and smudges
- Nano AR Coating reduces ghosting and flare
- lens construction: 14 elements in 12 groups
- 3 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 2 AA (advanced aspherical) lens elements provide clear, accurate focus from one edge of the image to the other
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- minimum focus distance: .63 feet
- filter/attachment size: 67mm
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, and soft case
- lens is 3" in diameter and 3-3/8" long
- weight: 13.2 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL20F18G
What's in the box:
- E-mount FE 20mm F1.8G lens
- 67mm Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH162 lens hood
- Soft lens pouch
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions before using
- Limited Warranty (US + Canada)
- European Guarantee Information Document
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G
Overview: The Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G (SEL20F18G) is an ultra-wide angle prime lens for Sony E-mount full-range cameras. Sony "G" lenses are designed and manufactured to the highest standards of optical performance, emphasizing both high resolution and beautiful background bokeh (defocused background points of light) for more artistic images. With a minimum focusing distance of just 7-9/16" (7" with manual focus), you can capture great closeups and self portraits. The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, a petal-shaped lens hood, and a soft lens case.
Compatibility: The SEL20F18G has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount. It works best with cameras with a 35mm full frame image sensor, but can work with APS-C sensor equipped cameras, too. On an APS-C camera, it has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 30mm.
Lens Construction: This Sony lens design features 14 lens elements in 12 groups, including two advanced aspherical lens (AA lens) elements, and three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements. The lens also features Sony's Nano AR Coating to eliminate flare and ghosting, and a fluorine-coated front lens element to repel water and grime. The SEL20F18G features an XD Linear Motor, which results in fast, accurate auto focusing. With minimal motor vibration, the lens is ideal for shooting movies.
Controls: The FE 20mm f/1.8G lens has the following on-board controls:
- Focus Hold: When in Auto Focus mode, the Focus Hold switch cancels AF and fixes the focus at the current distance. To restart Auto Focusing, you'll need to release the Focus Hold button and press the shutter button halfway. (Focus Hold does not function with some camera models.)
- Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch lets you switch from Auto Focusing (AF) to Manual Focusing (MF), or from MF to AF. For AF photography, both the camera and the lens must be set to AF. For MF photography, either the camera or the lens should be set to MF. To focus manually, rotate the focus ring.
- Aperture Ring: The aperture ring can be rotated to adjust the amount of light entering the lens. The f-stop range is f/1.8 to f/22, plus Auto.
- Aperture Click Switch: The aperture ring has audible click stops as you manually rotate it . The clicks are a positive indication that the lens has been set to the next f-stop. However, if you change the aperture value while shooting a movie, the click sound of the aperture ring will be recorded. To avoid this, you can turn the Aperture Click switch to the "Off" position when you're shooting movies.
Lens Hood: The SEL20F18G comes with the petal-shaped ALC-SH162 lens hood to protect the lens, reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality. The hood attaches to the lens with a bayonet-type fit. When not in use, the lens hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens. When mounted, the lens hood adds approximately 1" to the overall length of the lens.
- Focal Length: 20mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 30mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Aperture Design: 9-blade circular
- Angle of View: 94° (35mm), 70° (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 7.56" (Auto Focus), 7.08" (Manual Focus)
- Maximum Magnification: 0.20x (Auto Focus), 0.22x (Manual Focus)
- Filter Diameter: 67mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 2.898", Length 3.529" (4.052" with lens caps)
- Weight: 13.2 ounces